Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Gay and Lesbian at Disney
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-09-2009, 03:02 PM   #1
zeitzeuge
DallasDisneyDork
Some people NEED to be bitten
Had a little accident in my pants when I found out I was going to Club 33!
 
zeitzeuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,907

For all you EPCOT Horizons fans out there...

I never got to see this attraction. Hell, I never got to see most of the EPCOT attractions. Two years ago when I went for the first time, I was like...this is it?

Anyhoo, this guy over at Disney and More, it notorious for these great updates that include tons of video's, pictures and artwork from past and present attractions.

Check out his Horizon's update.
zeitzeuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2009, 03:12 PM   #2
PghLybrt
DIS Veteran
 
PghLybrt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 2,898

I loved that when i was little! Thanks!
PghLybrt is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 10-09-2009, 05:19 PM   #3
MonorailMan
Relatively Cheap Date, Dewars Always Works
I stared at the wall for about 6 hours and had a conversation with a shoe
 
MonorailMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: COWlumbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,846

Thanks for posting this. There are some amazing videos out there of this attraction, one of which was commercially produced.

It's probably a good thing GE sponsored this attraction seeing as how it probably required about as much electricity to run as a small city.

The funny thing about Horizons is that the whole ride was amazing, but it didn't even really start getting really good until after the omnisphere part.....and by that point you realized that you had already been riding for about 5 minutes, which is longer than a lot of the current WDW attractions.

I know some people out there don't care for the narrative type of rides (Spaceship Earth, World of Motion, etc.), but this had, in my opinion, the most well-thought-out, and cohesive storyline/narrative to it. It was pretty much the epitome of what Epcot was supposed to be about. And it wasn't "preachy" like the original Universe of Energy. Needless to say, I'd always want to go on this ride again immediately after riding it because there were always tons of small details you could easily miss the first time through.

I don't know if you knew this or not....but I loved this attraction.
MonorailMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 03:09 PM   #4
JoeyAnyc
Mouseketeer
 
JoeyAnyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Weehawken, NJ
Posts: 231

Thanks for posting. Never knew about this one. I will be sure to catch it this December. Great photos!
__________________
Me DH

Dec 1 - 6, 2014 YC
[GF: Dec '04/Dec '06/Dec '07/Dec '08/Dec '09/Dec '10: YC: Dec '11/Dec '12/Dec '13]

JoeyAnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 06:02 PM   #5
MonorailMan
Relatively Cheap Date, Dewars Always Works
I stared at the wall for about 6 hours and had a conversation with a shoe
 
MonorailMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: COWlumbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,846

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeyAnyc View Post
Thanks for posting. Never knew about this one. I will be sure to catch it this December. Great photos!
Here are the directions for where Horizons is located.....

Step 1- Go to Epcot
Step 2- Stand in front of Mission: Space
Step 3- Jump into a time warp that takes you back to 1995



Horizons has been gone for about 11 years. (I wish that wasn't the case....but it's true.)
MonorailMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 10:11 PM   #6
zeitzeuge
DallasDisneyDork
Some people NEED to be bitten
Had a little accident in my pants when I found out I was going to Club 33!
 
zeitzeuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,907

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonorailMan View Post
Thanks for posting this. There are some amazing videos out there of this attraction, one of which was commercially produced.

It's probably a good thing GE sponsored this attraction seeing as how it probably required about as much electricity to run as a small city.

The funny thing about Horizons is that the whole ride was amazing, but it didn't even really start getting really good until after the omnisphere part.....and by that point you realized that you had already been riding for about 5 minutes, which is longer than a lot of the current WDW attractions.

I know some people out there don't care for the narrative type of rides (Spaceship Earth, World of Motion, etc.), but this had, in my opinion, the most well-thought-out, and cohesive storyline/narrative to it. It was pretty much the epitome of what Epcot was supposed to be about. And it wasn't "preachy" like the original Universe of Energy. Needless to say, I'd always want to go on this ride again immediately after riding it because there were always tons of small details you could easily miss the first time through.

I don't know if you knew this or not....but I loved this attraction.
Actually, when I found this on his site, you were the first person I thought of because I knew that this attraction was one of your all time favs.
zeitzeuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 03:39 AM   #7
MonorailMan
Relatively Cheap Date, Dewars Always Works
I stared at the wall for about 6 hours and had a conversation with a shoe
 
MonorailMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: COWlumbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,846

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeitzeuge View Post
Actually, when I found this on his site, you were the first person I thought of because I knew that this attraction was one of your all time favs.
Thank you, Mark. It's definitely one of my all-time favorites. It's one of the reasons I decided to be brave and try to be creative professionally/go to art school.
MonorailMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 01:29 PM   #8
C&G'sMama
DIS Veteran
 
C&G'sMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Southwest MI
Posts: 1,648

Thank you for posting. DP and I miss the oldies, like Body Wars and what was the name of the movie that showed the inside of an 11 year old boy's brain?
__________________
Me DP DD(13) DS(10)


"Those who dance are thought mad by those who hear not the music." - Unknown
C&G'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2009, 10:53 PM   #9
MonorailMan
Relatively Cheap Date, Dewars Always Works
I stared at the wall for about 6 hours and had a conversation with a shoe
 
MonorailMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: COWlumbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,846

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G'sMama View Post
Thank you for posting. DP and I miss the oldies, like Body Wars and what was the name of the movie that showed the inside of an 11 year old boy's brain?
You mean Cranium Command? That was a fun flick. I completely forgot about that until you brought it up.
MonorailMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:49 PM   #10
JoeyAnyc
Mouseketeer
 
JoeyAnyc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Weehawken, NJ
Posts: 231

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonorailMan View Post
Here are the directions for where Horizons is located.....

Step 1- Go to Epcot
Step 2- Stand in front of Mission: Space
Step 3- Jump into a time warp that takes you back to 1995



Horizons has been gone for about 11 years. (I wish that wasn't the case....but it's true.)


Never said I was the brightest!
__________________
Me DH

Dec 1 - 6, 2014 YC
[GF: Dec '04/Dec '06/Dec '07/Dec '08/Dec '09/Dec '10: YC: Dec '11/Dec '12/Dec '13]

JoeyAnyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 05:53 PM   #11
Salinger
Mouseketeer
 
Salinger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Toronto
Posts: 197

Ahhh, thanks for this link. I loved Horizons.

I don't understand some of the decisions Disney makes. Better they'd replaced "Journey into Imagination" than Horizons. Horizons was one of the first rides I ever did at WDW and I remember being so blown away by it, especially the space ending.
Salinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 08:07 PM   #12
MonorailMan
Relatively Cheap Date, Dewars Always Works
I stared at the wall for about 6 hours and had a conversation with a shoe
 
MonorailMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: COWlumbus, Ohio
Posts: 1,846

The only thing (IMO) that the original Journey into Imagination could've improved upon would've been the addition of some painted murals along the back walls of some of the scenes. Most of the rooms had great visuals, but they all looked as though they were placed into a warehouse that wasn't necessarily meant for the attraction because of the black/gray sterile walls in the background. (The murals were one of the things that made Horizons gorgeous.) The queue area to JII had a great graphic, colorful hand-painted mural, but they neglected to bring that kind of stylized "magic" into the ride itself as far as backdrops go.

(I've put a lot of thought into this. Can ya tell? )

One of the reasons I love(d) attractions like Horizons and JII was because you were actually immersed into the scene around you, as opposed to a lot of the newer attractions at Epcot that now have you looking at video monitors for a fairly large portion of the experience. For example: The newest version of Spaceship Earth did away with the 3D "sets" on the descension back to Earth so that the riders' attention would go toward the screen in front of them instead of the space around them. Another attraction would be Mission: Space, which is an attraction that pretty much relies on video footage 100% of the time--even in the queue. While I enjoy the films and videos that are at the parks, I really miss the attractions where the magic was directly in front of you and not on a screen.


This concludes today's episode of "MonorailMan Whines Again". We now return you to your regularly-scheduled program.
MonorailMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:56 PM   #13
C&G'sMama
DIS Veteran
 
C&G'sMama's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Southwest MI
Posts: 1,648

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonorailMan View Post
You mean Cranium Command? That was a fun flick. I completely forgot about that until you brought it up.
Yes, Thank You!!
__________________
Me DP DD(13) DS(10)


"Those who dance are thought mad by those who hear not the music." - Unknown
C&G'sMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 02:11 PM   #14
YenSid1222
I spent my life hoping someday my dreams would set me free, but now I am learning the true reality, that I can wish, hope and dream but its never meant to be...unless I believe in me!
 
YenSid1222's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: Arlington, Texas
Posts: 806

I miss it!

I miss this attraction more than any other!

I have some great memories "playing" in that attraction when I was on the 3rd shift at Test Track during the test & adjust period. Somewhere I have some funny photos taken in the scenes.
__________________
Disney Dream - 4 Nt Bahamas - October 2011 | Disney Wonder - 2 Nt Cruise to Nowhere - January 2011 | Disney Magic - 7 Night Repositioning Barcelona to Dover - June 5, 2010 | Disney Magic - Eastern May 9, 2009 | Disney Wonder - 3 Night Bahamas - December 11, 2008 | Disney Magic - 7 Night Eastern - April 14, 2007 | Disney Magic - 7 Night Western -February 10, 2007
YenSid1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 07:28 PM   #15
mrunn0080
Earning My Ears
 
mrunn0080's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: CapeCod, MA
Posts: 49

I miss horizons a bit, a one of a kind ride I really enjoyed in the 80's. Thanks for posting this.
mrunn0080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Any others Southland fans here? luvwinnie Community Board 11 04-22-2013 01:56 PM
***2009*** Epcot Food & Wine Festival ENDED NOV. 8 TDC Nala Disney Restaurants 2351 12-09-2009 03:58 PM
Question for Epcot experts bound2travel Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies 8 10-31-2009 06:33 PM
How long is the walk around Epcot World Showcase princesskenziesmom Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies 26 10-10-2009 05:49 PM
Back & forth from BCV to Epcot tallvine Transportation 6 10-10-2009 05:07 PM

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:45 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.