Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 10:25 AM   #31
OceanAnnie
I guess I have a thing against maroon food
If they are well behaved I'm okay

I think both are capable as pp stated, depends on the breed. I like how one poster stated something about some pets "can't be bothered". I agree with that.

The smart ones are curious, have a good attention span, and watch, watch, watch. Then when you aren't looking....

"We do not see things as they are, we see them as we are." -- Anais Nin

"Some lived careful lives and some lived careless lives, and everything that happened could be explained by the differences between them." -- Anne Tyler

"When you are a hammer, everything is a nail." --- Unknown

OceanAnnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:59 AM   #32
Stitchfans
Tres Charming
I cry at a drop of a hat
55 scares me
Can you dip the shortbread in chocolate?
*~*The T.F*~*
let the stupidity begin!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kady View Post
Just like in people it all depends on the individual.

I was wondering if someone else thought the same as me?

I've had some dogs who were quite smart and yet others quite dumb. Same as for my cats. As said though, allot of cats do understand but have no intentions of listening or responding. Dogs are far more loyal and always respond.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-12-2013, 02:05 PM   #33
jenny105
DIS Veteran

Dogs are much easier to train. Cats simply don't want to be bothered. That's why you'll never see a seeing eye cat or a bomb sniffing cat!

Me DBf Kris Mitzu
Sept 2015 ASMu ~ August 2013 GF ~ Oct 2012 AKL ~ April 2011 DL Paradise Pier ~ Oct 2010 POP ~ Sept 2009 WL/DCL/BCV ~ Nov 2008 RPR Universal ~ Jan 2008 POP ~ April 2007 POP ~ Jan 2006 POP
jenny105 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:53 PM   #34
Squirlz
DIS Veteran

Definitely cats. I used to have this argument with an old boss. I shut him up when he bragged how well behaved his dog was while he was gone. I said "That's because he's so dumb, he thinks you are right on the other side of that door you went through. My cats know I'm gone for 8 hours and they can do whatever they want."
Squirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 03:58 PM   #35
MichelleVW
I call them "the people that live in my house"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirlz
Definitely cats. I used to have this argument with an old boss. I shut him up when he bragged how well behaved his dog was while he was gone. I said "That's because he's so dumb, he thinks you are right on the other side of that door you went through. My cats know I'm gone for 8 hours and they can do whatever they want."
Not true lol. I've seen studies that dogs know when they are being watched and when they aren't.
Old 01-13-2013, 06:13 PM   #36
GaSleepingBeautyFan
DIS Veteran

I have one smart cat and one who is definitely not the sharpest knife in the drawer right now.

Over the years, I've had more smart cats than dumb ones though.

Connie

Doing a quick weekend trip to see the Osborne Lights in December - staying offsite this time.

WDW: 16 family trips, 9 solo trips - resorts stayed at: offisite(6) AoA, AKL(2), BWI, CR (2), WL (2), CBR, CSR, POFQ (3), POP (2), POR (6) ASMo, ASMu
DISNEYLAND: 1 family trip, 2 1 day trips chaperoning
US/IOA: 5 family trips
GaSleepingBeautyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:16 PM   #37
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny105 View Post
Dogs are much easier to train. Cats simply don't want to be bothered. That's why you'll never see a seeing eye cat or a bomb sniffing cat!
just picturing a cat pulling some poor person up a tree.

Scrappy_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:24 PM   #38
ChrisFL
Disney/Universal Fan and MALE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrappy_Tink View Post
just picturing a cat pulling some poor person up a tree.

Disney Parks Visited: MK - EPCOT - DHS - DAK - DL - DCA - HKDL - TDL - TDS
ChrisFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:26 PM   #39
Scrappy_Tink
DIS Veteran

My yellow lab, Max, had such human-like qualities and seemed to read my moods (would put his head in my lap when I was sad, bring something to play with when I was happy). He taught himself to bring us his leash when he needed to go for a walk (we didn't have a fenced yard at the time) At first, we thought it was just a fluke, but then he kept doing it, and it got to where if we asked him "Do you need to go for a walk?", he'd run and get his leash.

We had to put poor Max to sleep in 2011 and a friend of mine at work was PCSing to Germany asked if we'd adopt their Yorkie because they didn't want to put her through the stress of the move.

Little Biscuit is the sweetest, lap dog, but we call her a "dumb blonde", because she just stares vacantly at you when you ask her questions. I think there's definitely a difference in intelligence with breeds (though someone else might have a smart Yorkie). As to who's smarter, cats or dogs? Cat's will never let us know for sure!!!

Scrappy_Tink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:35 PM   #40
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

We've had cats as dumb as rocks and some that blew us away with their intelligence. I had one cat that opened doors with his paws and yet couldn't figure out what room he was in half the time.

I don't see how to measure their intelligence in a fair way since they can't communicate.
Old 01-13-2013, 07:44 PM   #41
kkamyk
Earning My Ears

Not sure. I've seen pretty smart cats and dogs.
Cats aren't social though, so it may seem that dogs are smarter because they socialize more.
kkamyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:53 PM   #42
Mrs. Bob Loblaw
Mouseketeer

I remember when I was growing up, my stepmom was teaching our dog to sit. Over and over again, they'd repeat the command and action. Simply from watching the dog, our cat learned to sit on command. That same cat also learned how to use the people-toilet by watching my dad..

Having said that, my answer is definitely bunnies.
Old 01-13-2013, 08:12 PM   #43
Ember
I've also crazy glued myself to many things
I'm calling it a victory. At least until next time

The answers here are all a lot of fun! Interestingly, the science needed to answer this question is pretty complicated as comparing the intelligence of animals of different species is difficult. What evidence we do have suggests that dogs win out. (As much as my cat-loving self hates to admit it!)

I thought this was fun (From: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/38433950.../#.UPNY6olevvM)
Parents of 2-year olds might want to keep their enthusiasm over their toddlers' intellectual prowess in check. Turns out, they're likely no smarter than the average dog, according to a series of intelligence tests run by canine researcher Stanley Coren at the University of British Columbia.

A language development test, for example, reveals that the average dog can learn about 165 words, similar to the capacity of a 2-year old child.

In a math test where researchers lowered treats one at a time behind a screen, dogs were bewildered when the screen was lifted and the number of treats they correctly counted weren't there because the researcher deliberately swiped one or added an extra. This suggests the dogs grasp basic arithmetic.
For an overview of the science, this is also good: http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/...telligent-cats

Of course, perhaps the more controversial questions is who is smarter, cat owners or dog owners? More university graduates own cats...
Ember is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 08:26 PM   #44
gojoe
DIS Veteran

Did you know Dogs are the only animal that will look to where you are pointing instead of just looking at your fingers.

Just Googled this.

Based on the encephalization quotient, the brightest animals on the planet are humans, followed great apes, porpoises, and elephants. The dog is close behind elephants in its EQ. Descending down the list we find cats lower than dogs, followed by horses, sheep, mice, rats and rabbits. As a general rule, animals that hunt for a living (like canines) are smarter than strict vegetarians (you don't need much intelligence to outsmart a leaf of lettuce).
Old 01-13-2013, 08:34 PM   #45
kaligal
DIS Veteran

Cats are smarter.

Mine is the smartest.
Fantasmic sucks.
kaligal is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: