Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #16
DarthKTrava
Carolina Panthers Fan

I dread the eventual need I might have for bifocals. I've been having issues with reading print with my contacts. I can read books and magazines better without them in. But doc did the bifocal test and said I didn't need them yet. I think I'll bring it up again this year.

Mom used to wear bifocals but went back to single vision lenses as she hated the bifocals and just shifts her glasses askew so she can read up close.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:36 PM   #17
4nana
God Bless America, Land of the Free, Because of the Brave. Godspeed and thanks to our troops and their families for their sacrifices.

Sorry to hear you're having issues, I'd give it a few days. I've worn progressive for years and thankfully never had an issue, imo best thing since sliced bread . DH on the other hand tried and can't tolerate them.
Blessed with 4 loving kiddos & IL's, 13 sweet grands, 50 Golden Years & Anniv. cruise gift....PRICELESS!!

There are two lasting bequests we can give our children & grandchildren: 'One is roots, the other is wings'.
~~~~~
Life is a journey ~ love makes the trip worthwhile

Grandchildren are God's reward for being a parent

"For He shall give the angels charge over thee, to keep thee safe in all thy ways" Psalms 91:11

For my dear Mom in heaven
4nana is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2013, 10:58 PM   #18
castmemberb4
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by dicar123 View Post
My husband got progressive lenses and absolutely hated them. He can tolerate the line bi-focals better.

When my eye doctor told me I needed bi-focals, I was upset because I'd heard of people having trouble adjusting. She told me that, as I have worn glasses most of my life, I would have less trouble because I am used to having to move my whole head to see. I've never really had peripheral vision, I don't try to look over the top of or under my glasses. I have adjusted pretty quickly, but for close up reading, it's easier to take my glasses off altogether.
This was my experience too. When I first got them I had a problem driving, but adjusted pretty quickly. I take mine off now to read that's when I know it's time to get my eyes checked
Old 01-11-2013, 11:23 PM   #19
Sadie22
DIS Veteran

Some people need a few days to adjust. If that does not happen, it may be that the prescription was not made up correctly or that one or more areas needs adjustment. I have had several pairs of progressives now. I did have to have one pair remade because a different lens curvature was used. This is why we always use a local shop we trust and that will get glasses remade or make adjustments until we are satisfied.
Sadie22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:08 AM   #20
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

I recently got progressives.....I wore bifocals for yeas with no problem but Dr. suggested progressives...well I hated them. I really tried for 3 weeksto get used to them but I never could. The middle zone was the worst.

I went back and got bifocals again and all is well.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:38 AM   #21
leebee
DIS Veteran

There was no way I could wear the progressives. The made me SO motion sick all the time; it was just like an endless vertigo attack. I am fine with the single-line, traditional bifocals, though. No adjustment time at all! My DH couldn't wear the progressives, either- his eyes just couldn't adjust. He had them a week and went back for traditional bifocal lenses, as he was constantly misjudging things, couldn't judge depth and distance when driving, etc. He felt he wasn't safe, and didn't want to risk it for however many weeks it would take to adjust.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:26 AM   #22
Nancy
I get all twitterpatted when he does that!
I eat hot dogs from both ends
Oh Mom, that's so tacky..we live in an upscale area
SHH, don't tell anyone but I'm on the computer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluva View Post
Oh I got some last week-the doctor called them "progressive glasses". I hate them! I had to tilt my head up to read and forget trying to use the computer. The lady said give them a week. I retuned them the next day! I would rather just have two pairs. Awful and I feel old-I am 45 and had perfect vision until the day I turned 40.
I took mine back too. During the one week I had mine I almost fell down the stairs because my head and eyes weren't in the perfect position and it threw off my balance. Then I almost got in an accident driving because I moved my head the wrong way and totally threw everything off..almost drove off the road on the thruway with that one..car swerved like crazy. I actually took my glasses off and drove the rest of the way home without them.

My vision for reading is not that bad. I don't even really need glasses for it. I started going to a new place for my glasses because the old one just was a bit too snippy over me not wanting the progressive lenses and just wanting my lenses for distance like it's always been. My new optometrist says I don't need glasses for reading and when the time comes I could probably get away with the store bought readers. (if it ever comes)
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:08 AM   #23
mamamary
DIS Veteran

I hate my progressives too. I just use them for reading. I'd never be able to walk around with them much less drive. I guess I've had them a few months now so its prob. too late to go back to the dr. about it???????? I'm going to think about it - maybe give them a call.

me dh ds (17) dd (15) and Baxter (my 8 year old lab - rescued from a shelter)

mamamary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:08 AM   #24
Disney Doll
DIS Security Matron

FTR, when I got my progressives the MD said that I could go for the rest of my life with just taking my glasses off to do up close work and it wouldn't harm my eyes per se.

I got the progressives because I didn't want to keep putting my glasses on and off or laying them down somewhere and forgetting them .

Ah the joy of being 50!!! You can't see & you can't remember!!!!
It's time to put on your big girl panties and deal with it!
Don't be so open-minded that your brains fall out.
There's no pill that cures stupid.
He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog.
You are his life, his love, his leader.
He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart.
You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
~~In loving memory of Teddy~~1994-2007~~
Disney  Doll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:26 AM   #25
dicar123
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by castmemberb4 View Post
This was my experience too. When I first got them I had a problem driving, but adjusted pretty quickly. I take mine off now to read that's when I know it's time to get my eyes checked
LOL! I've only had them a few months- and they're great when I'm at my computer looking from the screen to a calendar on the wall or down at a pad of paper on my desk.

But when I'm reading a book, I have to hold the book further away than what I'm used to and tilt my head up and that just isn't a comfortable position for me to sit in and read for an hour. I tried it for awhile and gave up in frustration!
dicar123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #26
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney1990 View Post
I hated Progressives.`
Me too,I returned them,and found a better eye doc who gave a more thorough exam,then tried bifocals with the line....I can see! (part of my progressives problem was a bad prescrip,I believe) your eye doc should be helping you fit them,up,or down,and measuring how you're seeing, not telling you to just get used to them..... for now I have the lines,since actually seeing is important to me
Old 01-12-2013, 09:41 AM   #27
hsmamato2
Tink in Training-Good Girl,Bad temper
Little house on the prairie was the HEIGHT of t.v

I tried for 2 months.... could NOT see straight no matter what.....
Old 01-12-2013, 10:18 AM   #28
eliza61

We're Americans, we're survivors

Whow, I love my progressives. Have had not a moments problem with them. Hang in there Op, it's tough not being able to see clearly.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:35 AM   #29
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

I'm an eye tech. Everyone adjusts differently to progressives. Some adapt right away and some never do. It helps if you have worn glasses before because you have to hold your head in very specific positions.

Almost everyone from the age of 40-45 will start needing to wear reading glasses or bifocals. I could tell you the number of your add power on your prescription or the power of over the counter readers just based off of your age. If you are near sighted, you can avoid it by just taking off your glasses to read. Some people are lucky enough to naturally be near sighted in only one eye so they can use one eye for reading and one eye for far away. Some people get contacts for this called monovision but it takes a lot of getting used to.

The simple fact is, there is no magic pair of glasses you can put on and make everything perfect. And there is no way to escape old age. I'm 41 and still getting by, okay but I know it won't be much longer. My nearsightedness is too extreme so I won't be able to just take off glasses to read. I am not sure which route I am going to try. I might try progressives but I'm not sure I'll be a great candidate because I'm pretty sensitive. I rarely wear my glasses because I hate losing peripheral vision. I'll probably just continue to wear contacts and throw readers on over the top.

If you do get progressives, don't skimp. The right optician can make all the difference. They have to be measured very carefully and there are a lot of different name brands for lenses that they use. Some are better than others. This is not the time to buy glasses over the internet or go to a cheapy place. It's not so much the price as needing an experienced optician. If they aren't working, have the optician double check the measurements. If they match up, give them a few days. If that doesn't work, go back and see the eye doctor for a recheck. Mistakes DO happen. If that doesn't fix things, you will either have to keep trying or give up and do something else. Just have realistic expectations that getting old sucks, lol.

One last thing...there is a big benefit to progressives (and why I want to at least try to adjust to them). They will let you see at a computer distance because they start out far away and gradually come in close as you look down the lens. Regular reading glasses or lined bifocals won't do that (only other option is trifocals (two lines)). At 40-50 this isn't so much a problem but as you keep getting older, you will lose that intermediate area too. So it's worth trying to adapt to these earlier on.

And OP, there is nothing wrong with sticking to those over the counter readers if they are working for you. They won't hurt your eyes or anything. It's just a pain to have to take glasses on and off all day.
Old 01-12-2013, 11:47 AM   #30
SpecialK
DIS Veteran

I've had progressives for the last year, and it took me about two weeks to get used to them. You have to make sure they're seated on your nose properly so you're looking through the right band for near and far. When mine are not right, I'll feel dizzy and nauseated.

I also got straight readers at the same time. If I'm going to be reading for any length of time, I'll wear the readers so I don't have to move my head instead of just my eyes. That drove me nuts.
SpecialK is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: