Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 06:36 PM   #1
tll
Earning My Ears

I'm very confused!

The more I read, the more confused I get. I want to plan a trip for Dec. 2013 and plan to stay in a deluxe resort. It will be just my husband and I, 63 (him) and 58. We've been one other time to Disney World, many times to Disneyland. I want to make this a very special trip, my husband has early onset Alzheimers, he is doing okay for now, however, each time I plan a trip I wonder if it will need to be our last.

I was leaning towards the Poly, one of my criteria being a monorail resort for convenience. However, after reading about breakdowns on the monorail, I'm wondering if I should rethink resorts.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I would love to stay at AKL, however, I'm afraid it would be just too inconvenient.
tll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
mericletwins
DIS Veteran

Have you considered the Beach Club, Yacht Club or the Boardwalk? They are lovely resorts that give you easy access to two parks instead of one.

On deck: BC CL August 21-29

BWI 9/12 POP 6/12 BLT & BCV 4/12 POR 4/11 BCV & THV 1/10 CBR 6/10 POP 8/09 CR-MK view 3/09 POR 6/08 BC/Poly Conc./GF conc. 1/08 BCV 4/07 CBR 6/06 BCV 4/06 OKW 10/04 OKW Thanksgiving 03 CBR 3/00 Off-site March '93, March '88, HS Sr Trip Spring '87
mericletwins is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2013, 06:40 PM   #3
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

After 25 WDW vacations and as many to Disneyland, I think AKL is a fine choice. I've done several monorail resort vacations and I don't find it any more convenient for adults than the bus system.

I have stayed at AKL/AKV for 3 vacations and its a very special resort with bus service to all 4 parks.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:45 PM   #4
tll
Earning My Ears

I can't remember how long the bus ride was out to AKL, would it be a pain to go back to the resort after a park, clean up and then back to a resort or park for dinner?
tll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:03 PM   #5
Tink415
DIS Veteran

There can be transportation issues at any resort and no resort has great transportation to every park.

Don't let transportation reports bother you. For the most part we've had great transportation to all the theme parks from everywhere we've stayed whether it was by monorail, bus, or boat.

I'd go with the theme of the resort that appeals the most to you, or if you want to be close to MK or Epcot, a resort close to one of those. Otherwise, it really doesn't make that much difference IMHO. REALLY!

I love both Poly and AKL. If you plan to relax in the room much a room at Poly might be more comfy. Take a look at the pictures.

Bring $$ for a cab if transportation starts to bother you. Its easy an doesn't cost that much in the scheme of things. I like a cab or rental car for traveling resort to resort, for DD, water parks and mini golf.

Have a great vacation!
Tink415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:06 PM   #6
Tink415
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tll View Post
I can't remember how long the bus ride was out to AKL, would it be a pain to go back to the resort after a park, clean up and then back to a resort or park for dinner?
No, not really, but it all depends on how much time you give yourself And that's true whevever you stay!
Tink415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:48 PM   #7
chalee94
I thought all sand was ground up rocks
He's used to walking n00bies

Quote:
maybe consider a stay at bay lake tower? get a studio or 1BR...it's a short walk to the MK (less than 15 minutes)...you wait for park buses at the contemporary and can use the MK bus hub or monorail to hop to other resorts if you have dinner plans.

(a hotel room at the contemporary would also work.)

chalee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:32 PM   #8
jperrot1
DIS Veteran

I think you will have a wonderful and very special time at the Poly. Take a look at http://www.tikimanpages.com/tiki/

This website has so much information on the Polynesian Resort. If you can swing the cost, consider a club level room. The club level staff are experts on how to relate with different types of people. They will make you feel like gold in exactly the way you want to be treated. And, you'll know exactly which building your room would be in.
jperrot1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:52 PM   #9
J.C.&ALI'SMOM
I really had to bite my tongue on that one
Wondering how we could get our moonshine on the plane

The Polynesian still has the boat that goes to MK. That is a very pleasant ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mericletwins View Post
Have you considered the Beach Club, Yacht Club or the Boardwalk? They are lovely resorts that give you easy access to two parks instead of one.
The Polynesian has DIRECT access to both monorail loops. It is a short walk to the TTC and the Epcot monorail, no switching loops like with the GF and CR.

J.C.&ALI'SMOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:06 PM   #10
bethclayton
DIS Veteran

Quote:
The more I read, the more confused I get. I want to plan a trip for Dec. 2013 and plan to stay in a deluxe resort. It will be just my husband and I, 63 (him) and 58. We've been one other time to Disney World, many times to Disneyland. I want to make this a very special trip, my husband has early onset Alzheimers, he is doing okay for now, however, each time I plan a trip I wonder if it will need to be our last.

I was leaning towards the Poly, one of my criteria being a monorail resort for convenience. However, after reading about breakdowns on the monorail, I'm wondering if I should rethink resorts.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I would love to stay at AKL, however, I'm afraid it would be just too inconvenient.
this is actually a dilemma but for me, it would be a monorail resort. akl is incredible. i can't wait to go back one day and we think about it all the time. but i do think that now with kidani, akl is inconvenient. we stayed there about 4 years ago and the bus transportation was really not bad. then we went to visit about 2 years ago after kidani was built and the added stop at kidani added nearly 15 mins each way. i was shocked. it was about a 5 minute ride, 5 minutes to board everyone, and 5 minutes back. what a bummer.

we love poly the most of any resort on property. the ambience is amazing and the location is fabulous.

if you are really concerned this might be your last trip together, and your interest is convenience, then i would choose the poly. then, IF your dh is up to another trip... do akl that trip, just knowing that the location is less convenient but the experience is not able to be replicated.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:07 PM   #11
Sue M
DIS Veteran

AKL is a lovely resort. We've had 2 stays there. We typically take a mid day break and go back to a park at night. AKL is the furthest from MK, but the Epcot or DHS are maybe 15 min bus ride, and ak is 5 min.

WL is in the same price range, and is also a great resort with easy access to MK via nice boat ride, and also has a boat to Contemporary resort. And easy access to the other MK area resorts for dining.

Have a wonderful vacay.
Aug 2003 WDW Marriott Courtyard, [B]Aug 2005 [/BSeaWorld, Universal, Busch Gardens Hilton Garden Inn, ]Aug 2007 WDW CBR, Jan 2008WDW WL, Aug 2008St. Pete Beach, Universal-HRH, Sea Workd & Aquatica- Hyatt Place & Doubletree, Jan 2009WDW AKL, Aug 2009Key West Sheraton Suites, Cocoa Beach Hampton Inn, & WDW POR/WL, Jan 2010WDW Poly, Jan 2011WDW POR, Aug 2011WDW POR/BC CL, Jan 2012WDW WL, Aug 2012AKL CL, Jan. 2013POFQ Aug. 2013 WDW Pop, GF, YC Jan 2014POR

Next trip August 7-Sept 3 2014 Ft Lauderdale, Universal, WDW GF & GF CL
Sue M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #12
Wicket's Mom
DIS Veteran

My DH & I stayed at AKL this past September. We went to a park in the morning, stayed until lunch, then went back to AKL. We hung around the lodge for a couple hours, then headed out to dinner via bus. We did this every day of our vacation with no problems.

We absolutely loved AKL, this was our first stay there & it won't be our last.

Have a lovely time with your DH, my father had the same disease. He went with the family several times to WDW. Good memories were made.
(url)http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3050319
It Was the Best of Times & the Worst, But It Was the Best Trip Evah!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2811518
Wicket's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 07:19 AM   #13
MinnieGirl33
Hockey Mom to 2

If ease of transportation is key, my suggestions, in order, are: anything on the monorail line, Boardwalk, Yacht Club/Beach Club.

Personally, I won't stay at AKL/AKV for the simple fact that it is too far out for me.

MinnieGirl33 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:20 AM   #14
cmesq61
DIS Veteran

DBF (64) and I (51) are regular WDW goers, and here is our $.02: If mobility is not an issue, the BWI is great. Easy to EP and DHS walking or by boat, with the option of walking thru EP for monorail to MK or taking a bus to MK; lots of eating choices for sit down meals, and easy walk to EP for all sorts of CS options; BWI a tad better for older w/o kids, in our opinion. If the walking so uch is perhaps not your thing, then it's the Poly, hands down. Can't beat the ambience and atmosphere; easy monrail to EP & MK & close bus transportation to anywhere else; wishes from your room (we love 3rd floor Tahiti TPV!); many eating choices within a short distance.

We have some medical challenges that we have to accommodate at WDW so feel free to PM if you have any other questions.

Sept '13 DCL; Jan '13 The Poly; Sept '12 BWI; Nov & Sept '11 The Poly; June '09, The Poly; Sept '08 The Poly; Jan '05, DCL
cmesq61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:28 AM   #15
goofy4tink
Likes little devils
I know I'm getting old...I get it, I really do
Prisoner of Toy Story Mania

DISboards Moderator

I have stayed at almost all of the DIsney resorts...not at GF, CBR, CSR but all others. We had some of the worst bus service at the Polyneisan!! It would have been better to just walk over to the TTC and take their buses to DHS and AK vs waiting for the buses at the Polynesian!!!
And the monorail has been having issues more and more often...drives me nutty!!!
I love staying at AKL....yes, it's a bit further removed, but I've always had good bus service there.
I own DVC at both BWV and BLT. BW would be a great spot for you...the ability to either walk or boat to two different parks is wonderful. YC and BC are also very good for that same reason.

goofy4tink is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: