Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 07:29 PM   #1
usmcwife1
Mouseketeer

Please recommend 2 TS meals (no character or buffet)

We are traveling in late Apr for 7 nights and will mostly eat CS or offsite dinners but we'd like to do 2 sit down dinners, we aren't on DDP but so long as DH and I can stay under $45/plate without drinks I'm happy, we'll save $ the other days lol... I have been looking over menus and am already overwhelmed with choices! Plus with only 2 reservations I don't want to waste one on something mediocre. Any can't miss restaurants that you like to plan for? Last trip we did all offsite and CS and while it was fine I don't remember anything we ate yk?

We don't want to do character dining or buffets and would prefer the least loud/crazy (My oldest is autistic so he is sensitive to excessive noise) but I don't expect silence by any means, just normal restaurant level noise the only one of us picky is my oldest but the younger 3 eat any and everything, love seafood, veggies, meat, exotic spices etc.

Anything you'd recommend we try this trip? Thanks so much!!!

DONE: Post-Deployment trip (and first time) to WDW in September 2011!
DONE: Trip #2 Late April 2013!

TO DO: Plan Trip #3 June 2014! YAY!!
usmcwife1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:37 PM   #2
sharonabe
DIS Veteran

How about Sanaa over at AKLodge/Kidani Village? They have some unique offerings, and you can easily stay under that $45 per adult. I believe you can also see the animals on the savannah from the restaurant.

Schedule this on your AK day and then hang around after dinner to watch the animals some more.

Another option would be any of the restaurants over in the Boardwalk area. Yachtsman Steak House, Captain's Grill, Kouzzina. After dinner, enjoy the activities on the Boardwalk.
sharonabe is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2013, 07:40 PM   #3
katt789
DIS Veteran

I recommend Le Cellier in Canada at Epcot

Instagram:Kattwyllie
Twitter: KattWy

katt789 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:51 PM   #4
disneybliss2
DIS Veteran

Our favorite restaurant is 'Ohana. It isn't a buffet, but it is served family style. It is similar to a Brazilian steak house where they serve grilled carved meat--all you can eat shrimp, steak, pork, chicken, plus they have pot stickers, salads, noodles, and bread. They'll happily serve (at no added charge) an alternate kid's meal if they are picky and don't like the carved meat (mac-n-cheese, hamburger, hot dog, etc.). If that doesn't sound appealing, how about Teppan Edo? It's a Japanese hibachi style restaurant. I also agree that Sanaa at the AKL (at Kidani village, not the main Jambo house) would be a good choice. The food tends to be spicey, but they have milder options for kids.
disneybliss2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:56 PM   #5
RainK
Mouseketeer

Ohana is hands down our favorite restaurant. Dinner is sooooo yummy!!!

August 2013 Beach Club
August 2011 POP
May 2010 CBR
October 2008 ASMO
September 2006 & 2007 POP
Previous 2 visits off site
RainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:02 PM   #6
aristocatz
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharonabe View Post
How about Sanaa over at AKLodge/Kidani Village? They have some unique offerings, and you can easily stay under that $45 per adult. I believe you can also see the animals on the savannah from the restaurant.

Schedule this on your AK day and then hang around after dinner to watch the animals some more.

Another option would be any of the restaurants over in the Boardwalk area. Yachtsman Steak House, Captain's Grill, Kouzzina. After dinner, enjoy the activities on the Boardwalk.
I agree with Sanaa. Try for a 5pm or 5:30pm ADR. Those are relatively easy times to be able to ask for a window seat. It will also still be light out so you would get a great view of the animals while you dine-they are really close up! Prices are reasonable too.

Are you only looking for dinner, or are you considering other meals? If so, Kona Cafe and Boma both have terrific breakfast menus. For lunch I like the Sci-Fi or 50's Prime Time Cafe or Liberty Tree Tavern. All reasonably priced & nicely themed as well.

aristocatz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:34 AM   #7
Quin
DIS Veteran

Dinner. Non-character, non-buffet, non-screaming.

In AK, how about Yak&Yeti TS? Ask to sit upstairs for a quieter experience. Good food, very extensive menu, fantastic theming. In Epcot, if you like Japanese food, skip Teppan Edo (noise level with multiple tables can be chaotic) and look at Tokyo Dining instead. You can get teppanyaki style food there, just not cooked on your tabletop, but they have a lot more choices too. If Japanese is too 'out there', then Tutto Italia or Via Napoli. At the resorts Ohana is very good but the entertainer who gets the little ones up to play games might be a bit too loud for your oldest. The Signatures are mostly all wonderful but very pricey - but how about Hoop De Doo? It is expensive but has very good non-exotic food, a really fun family-friendly show, and the price includes adult beverages for you and DH.
Old 01-12-2013, 09:40 AM   #8
winnieatepooh
Mouseketeer

The two best meals that my fiance and I had on our October trip were at House of Blues in DTD and The Wave at the contemporary resort. A very close third was Mama Melrose in DHS. I found the prices to be very reasonable and the food was exceptional. House of Blues we had the shrimp and grits, and the jambalaya...both were amazing and our favorite meals of the trip; however, this was the noisest of the three restaurants. At the wave we had a seafood pasta with a spicy tomato sauce, and some kind of beef (not mine, hah), but he was bugging me the rest of the trip if we could go back to the wave for dinner again, everything was amazing, plus we loved the dessert trios! And at Mama Melrose I had the campanelle pasta with shrimp and the panna cotta, and he had the osso bucco with tiramisu and everything was delicious. Good luck!

2013 - POP
2012 - CSR
2011 - Off Site
2005 - Off Site
1998 - Off Site
winnieatepooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:23 AM   #9
OntarioDisneyMom
Earning My Ears

Whispering canyon is really good if you like BBQ

2014 - December -Pop
2013 - April - A of A
2012 - April - DD 4th Birthday Surprise Celebration - Pop
2011 - February - POR
2010 - February - POR

OntarioDisneyMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:20 AM   #10
usmcwife1
Mouseketeer

These are all fabulous recommendations! I would have never thought about Sanaa but after looking over the menu that is one we would enjoy very much!

There is plenty of availability for dinner on our AK day so now I just need to decide if we want an earlier dinner (before the park closes) or one closer to park closing (closes @ 7 so maybe a 6:30 reservation??), I am leaning towards earlier so we can see the animals some and are not leaving when everyone else is.

I am still debating reservation number 2 so keep the ideas coming! I am thinking about a lunch midday to help ODS take a sensory break.. he loves Disney more than any of us but it's tough on him, too much going on at once!

DONE: Post-Deployment trip (and first time) to WDW in September 2011!
DONE: Trip #2 Late April 2013!

TO DO: Plan Trip #3 June 2014! YAY!!
usmcwife1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:04 PM   #11
amypetecar
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcwife1
These are all fabulous recommendations! I would have never thought about Sanaa but after looking over the menu that is one we would enjoy very much!

There is plenty of availability for dinner on our AK day so now I just need to decide if we want an earlier dinner (before the park closes) or one closer to park closing (closes @ 7 so maybe a 6:30 reservation??), I am leaning towards earlier so we can see the animals some and are not leaving when everyone else is.

I am still debating reservation number 2 so keep the ideas coming! I am thinking about a lunch midday to help ODS take a sensory break.. he loves Disney more than any of us but it's tough on him, too much going on at once!
If sanaa looks good to you, consider restaurant marakesh
amypetecar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 10:18 PM   #12
TruBlu
I was very excited to see how yummy it looks!
You can do what we do and go to BOTH!
I could have been contender.... instead, I'm just itchy

Tutto Italia was nice and quiet the couple of time we have eaten there. It's kind of fancy.

I saw 'Ohana mentioned. I'd say avoid that place! It is really LOUD. They have someone on a mic leading groups to dance and run coconut races. There was a speaker right over our table & we could hardly stand it!!!

Coral Reef is nice and soothing. If you are lucky to get a table on the bottom level near the tank, it is especially magical. We haven't been in years, but we enjoyed it in the past.

Also, Le Cellier is dimly lit and quiet. I wouldn't recommend using 2 dining credits for it, but since you are not on the plan that might be a good relaxing choice.

Our current favorite is Teppan Edo, but it is a typical Japanese Steakhouse. You are seated with strangers (8/table), and they do the fire thing. I'd probably avoid there too.

San Angel Inn is quiet and dark. We've only eaten there once, but it was fantastic! You can watch the Mexico boat ride from your table.

"Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate." -Captain Jack Sparrow

TruBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:47 PM   #13
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Glad you're considering Sanaa. For the picky one, their flatbread pizza is really tasty and also really simple.

Another resort restaurant that many people like is Olivia's over at Old Key West. I remember our dinner being very nice, and our server was absolutely wonderful and sweet.

Oh, and we *love* Hollywood Brown Derby. I don't know what the prices are for anything but what we get, which is the coconut tofu noodle bowl (at about $28), so it might be higher than you want assuming you eat something other than that, but it's just such a pleasant environment in there. It's packed, but somehow stays calm, beautiful, and as I recall, quiet. We've sat at a booth and we've sat at a table in the middle of the restaurant, and it didn't matter...it was a very nice break in the day with really tasty food.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 12:02 AM   #14
Ro Z
DIS Veteran

My first thought was CR. The aquarium is awesome. I agree that Ohana can be loud. The women that leads the coconut races etc. Is soooo annoying. We like Mama Melrose a little loud because it almost always full but pretty calm otherwise. Hope you enjoy your vacation!
Ro Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:35 AM   #15
mccathy
DIS Veteran

I would avoid whispering canyon. That place is loud!

For a good sensory break I suggest brown derby or le cellier. Both dimly lit and quiet and great food!

My five year old had his kindergarten vaccines - two weeks later he suffered a stroke. You can read more here: http://lifeinasmallhouse.blogspot.co...ening-can.html

1980 My First Trip to DW - no idea - I was only 3!
1992 High School Band Trip - off site
2001 Honeymoon - off site
Oct. 2008 Caribbean Beach with Friends
Feb. 2009 Boardwalk - Our First Trip "Home"
March 2010 Beach Club - 10th Anniversary Getaway
June 2010 Animal Kingdom Lodge - Special trip with my mom, sister, and boys!
Sept. 2012 Caribbean Beach with the in-laws - Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party!
mccathy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: