Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > UK Trip Planning Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-28-2013, 10:50 AM   #1
AmiAlice
Earning My Ears

Anyone flown Virgin Premium Economy??

3rd anniversary coming up in 2 weeks and we leave in 2 weeks. Paid the extra to go Premium Economy. What differences can we expect to regular economy?
AmiAlice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #2
Elise79

DISboards Moderator

What you will get:
More leg room
Extra luggage allowance
Larger Seat
Different meal served on china plates with metal cutlery
Pre-flight drink
Bottle of water on your seat on boarding

What you might get:
Priority embark and de-barkation
Priority luggage (usually works outbound very hit and miss inbound)
Generally better service for drinks etc (Very crew dependent)
Brandy & Baileys after dinner

This is from experience as we always fly PE on Virgin. So much of the experience depends on the crew on the day. We have had some amazing crews, some average and some bad. I go expecting the worse and am pleasantly surprised if its better. We pay for the space as I am 5'10 and DH is 6'3" so it just makes us so much more comfortable.

Apr 2014 OKW & NYC Dec 2013 - BLT July 2013 - OKW April 2013/Dec 2012 - BLT June 2012 - BLT & OKW Feb 2012 - OKW Sept 2011 - BWV & BLT May 2011 - BCV & BLT Nov 2010 - BLT & CR Tower Club May 2010 - BLT Sept 2009/March 2009/April 2008/Sept 2007/Sept 2006 - CSR Feb 2008 - DLRP Newport Bay (First DLRP Trip) April 1999 - WDW Offsite in Villa June 1998 - WDW Offsite July 1989 - WDW Offsite
Elise79 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-28-2013, 11:55 AM   #3
MrRomance
Planning and Plotting

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmiAlice View Post
3rd anniversary coming up in 2 weeks and we leave in 2 weeks. Paid the extra to go Premium Economy. What differences can we expect to regular economy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elise79 View Post
What you will get:
More leg room
Extra luggage allowance
Larger Seat
Different meal served on china plates with metal cutlery
Pre-flight drink
Bottle of water on your seat on boarding

What you might get:
Priority embark and de-barkation
Priority luggage (usually works outbound very hit and miss inbound)
Generally better service for drinks etc (Very crew dependent)
Brandy & Baileys after dinner

This is from experience as we always fly PE on Virgin. So much of the experience depends on the crew on the day. We have had some amazing crews, some average and some bad. I go expecting the worse and am pleasantly surprised if its better. We pay for the space as I am 5'10 and DH is 6'3" so it just makes us so much more comfortable.
We've flew Virgin P.E. most recently in Feb last year. I agree with all of the above and would say that the "crew dependent" part is the key statement. My experience in Feb was so bad that we will never fly with Virgin again and the key problems we had were all staff related. To give you an indication of how strongly we feel about it, we have enough airmiles to get our flights for free and all we would have had to pay is our daughter's flight, but we paid full price on BA because we just won't use them.

The P.E. cabin, the seat, the entertainment all of the things listed above were absolutely fine. If you happen to get a good crew and good ground staff on the day, it will be great. The extras are good and worth the extra cost. If you're not so fortunate, it will be enough to put your off for life!

Off-Site Disney World Visits '92 - '94 - '96 - '99 - 2000, 2001, 2004
Disney World Stays August 2008 - CBR - February 2012 - SSR - July 2012 - POR - October 2013 - SSR - October 2014 - SSR - 2015 - Moving to the Sunshine State!

Disney Fairytale Wedding Vow Renewal Feb 2012
MrRomance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 12:12 PM   #4
Minniesgal
DIS Veteran

We do it all the time. you get a bit more legroom and a better lunch but for us the benefits are elsewhere.

Priority check in at Gatwick so you avoid the long queue
Priority security means you don't have to be there so early
PE cabin is first off the plane in Orlando so you get to the front of the immigration line. This is the most important of all as you can have to wait as much as 3 hours if you are at the back of the plane.

We won't fly economy again!
Minniesgal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 01:04 PM   #5
Elise79

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRomance View Post

We've flew Virgin P.E. most recently in Feb last year. I agree with all of the above and would say that the "crew dependent" part is the key statement. My experience in Feb was so bad that we will never fly with Virgin again and the key problems we had were all staff related. To give you an indication of how strongly we feel about it, we have enough airmiles to get our flights for free and all we would have had to pay is our daughter's flight, but we paid full price on BA because we just won't use them.

The P.E. cabin, the seat, the entertainment all of the things listed above were absolutely fine. If you happen to get a good crew and good ground staff on the day, it will be great. The extras are good and worth the extra cost. If you're not so fortunate, it will be enough to put your off for life!
We fly 3 times a year to MCO in PE and most of our crews have been good or excellent. Only 1 or 2 have been below average but nothing so bad to put us off them. In fact out last flight in April we had the best crew and service we have ever experienced.

I need to ask what they did that was so bad?

Apr 2014 OKW & NYC Dec 2013 - BLT July 2013 - OKW April 2013/Dec 2012 - BLT June 2012 - BLT & OKW Feb 2012 - OKW Sept 2011 - BWV & BLT May 2011 - BCV & BLT Nov 2010 - BLT & CR Tower Club May 2010 - BLT Sept 2009/March 2009/April 2008/Sept 2007/Sept 2006 - CSR Feb 2008 - DLRP Newport Bay (First DLRP Trip) April 1999 - WDW Offsite in Villa June 1998 - WDW Offsite July 1989 - WDW Offsite
Old 04-28-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
MrRomance
Planning and Plotting

Quote:
We fly 3 times a year to MCO in PE and most of our crews have been good or excellent. Only 1 or 2 have been below average but nothing so bad to put us off them. In fact out last flight in April we had the best crew and service we have ever experienced.

I need to ask what they did that was so bad?
Oh now you've opened up a can of worms... RANT ALERT!!!

My daughter is autistic and suffers with severe anxiety, so as soon as I booked the flight, I contacted Virgin Special Assistance and explained. I sent them a copy of her diagnosis from Great Ormond Street Hospital and said it would be really important that she be able to sit between my DW and I so that we could keep her calm and make her feel safe. They were really good and very understanding and said they would make sure that we were seated all together and that she would be between us.

On the way to MCO, they did exactly that which was fine but we were serviced by a member of cabin crew that was terrible. We were sat in the first row, in the middle of the cabin, and to our left was a family of 4, two parents and 2 teenage daughters in the 2 behind them. The cabin crew member honed in on them from the moment we sat down. She spent almost the entire flight talking them, much of it sitting on the arm of my seat chattering away to them. She kept asking them if there was anything she could get them and ran back and forth taking chocolate,snacks and drinks to them on demand. Meal time rolls around and I pull out my table and it was FILTHY! Food all stuck to it etc, so I asked her if she had any wipes or clothes I could use to clean it off before my meal. WIthout even looking at me she says "no sorry the cleaners are rubbish" and carried on her conversation with the other family. Meal time and no one on our side of the plane got a drink with their meal other than this family. When I asked for one for my daughter, she gave me a dirty look and carried on talking to them. This carried on throughout the flight. As we were coming into land about to put our belts on, she goes to this family and says "do you need any drinks or anything to tide you over until you get to your hotel?" they said they'd like some juice and some pepsi. She comes back with 3 big cartons of juice and 2 cans of pepsi each for them and a handful of chocolates. Next thing I know, she comes back to them with an "evaluation form" and says to them, I am being evaluated on my service today could you please fill this in for me" She had neglected every other passenger to focus on them, plyed them with stuff all through the flight to get a good review!

It's fair to say that it was purely her behaviour and actions that irked us and everyone else on our side of the plane, but still, not a good experience.

ON the way back to LGW, we used DTD check in. They had put us in the bubble which for most people is great. They sat my daughter (who by the way was 8 years old as well as being autistic!) in a different row with a stranger. We explained that this wouldn't be good for her and showed them the emails with special assistance only to be told "sorry, there is no guarantees where you get seated and that's the seats you have" Got on the plane and said to the cabin crew, can we switch her with one of us so she is at least next to one of us. We were told we couldn't do it until after take off because everyone needed to be in their right seats because it was a full flight!

When I contacted Virgin about it when we got back, I got an "sorry, you didn't enjoy your flight email" and that was it.

So now we refused to use them. It wasn't the plane, the cabin, the seats etc. it was all staff that we were angry about. We have about 75000 airmiles each, but I would rather pay to use someone else than ever use them again. It's the principle of it as much as the bad experience.

Disney World Stays August 2008 - CBR - February 2012 - SSR - July 2012 - POR - October 2013 - SSR - October 2014 - SSR - 2015 - Moving to the Sunshine State!

Old 04-28-2013, 01:55 PM   #7
crabbie1
DIS Veteran

That is really bad what happened to you. I have found their service deteriorate over the years as well. Regards the seat numbers though I dont think I have ever sat in the seat issued to me. We sit in any of the 3 seats we have issued and noone has ever asked to see which seats we are supposed to be sat in. Mind you have only flown PE once as think its a waste of money and prefer to have the extra spending money or use it for something else. Each to there own. Even if I had the money I wouldnt do it unless it was a special occassion . I can totally understand if its for medical reasons or due to being tall etc.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:33 PM   #8
Elise79

DISboards Moderator

Quote:

My daughter is autistic and suffers with severe anxiety, so as soon as I booked the flight, I contacted Virgin Special Assistance and explained. I sent them a copy of her diagnosis from Great Ormond Street Hospital and said it would be really important that she be able to sit between my DW and I so that we could keep her calm and make her feel safe. They were really good and very understanding and said they would make sure that we were seated all together and that she would be between us.

On the way to MCO, they did exactly that which was fine but we were serviced by a member of cabin crew that was terrible. We were sat in the first row, in the middle of the cabin, and to our left was a family of 4, two parents and 2 teenage daughters in the 2 behind them. The cabin crew member honed in on them from the moment we sat down. She spent almost the entire flight talking them, much of it sitting on the arm of my seat chattering away to them. She kept asking them if there was anything she could get them and ran back and forth taking chocolate,snacks and drinks to them on demand. Meal time rolls around and I pull out my table and it was FILTHY! Food all stuck to it etc, so I asked her if she had any wipes or clothes I could use to clean it off before my meal. WIthout even looking at me she says "no sorry the cleaners are rubbish" and carried on her conversation with the other family. Meal time and no one on our side of the plane got a drink with their meal other than this family. When I asked for one for my daughter, she gave me a dirty look and carried on talking to them. This carried on throughout the flight. As we were coming into land about to put our belts on, she goes to this family and says "do you need any drinks or anything to tide you over until you get to your hotel?" they said they'd like some juice and some pepsi. She comes back with 3 big cartons of juice and 2 cans of pepsi each for them and a handful of chocolates. Next thing I know, she comes back to them with an "evaluation form" and says to them, I am being evaluated on my service today could you please fill this in for me" She had neglected every other passenger to focus on them, plyed them with stuff all through the flight to get a good review!

It's fair to say that it was purely her behaviour and actions that irked us and everyone else on our side of the plane, but still, not a good experience.

ON the way back to LGW, we used DTD check in. They had put us in the bubble which for most people is great. They sat my daughter (who by the way was 8 years old as well as being autistic!) in a different row with a stranger. We explained that this wouldn't be good for her and showed them the emails with special assistance only to be told "sorry, there is no guarantees where you get seated and that's the seats you have" Got on the plane and said to the cabin crew, can we switch her with one of us so she is at least next to one of us. We were told we couldn't do it until after take off because everyone needed to be in their right seats because it was a full flight!

When I contacted Virgin about it when we got back, I got an "sorry, you didn't enjoy your flight email" and that was it.

So now we refused to use them. It wasn't the plane, the cabin, the seats etc. it was all staff that we were angry about. We have about 75000 airmiles each, but I would rather pay to use someone else than ever use them again. It's the principle of it as much as the bad experience.
That's doesn't sound good. I think I would have spoken to the flight service manager on that outbound flight. They could have addressed your issues there and then. It would also have been noted about the crew member.

The return crew should have told you that your DD could move next to one of you and not just after take off. The way the system seems to operate is that is allocates to each one in the party in order. For example when we sit in the bubble we have 2 seats together and an odd one. The computer always allocates the single to our DD even when I try and change it it reverts back. It has done this since was under 2!

Once when I boarded with DD (DH was a bit behind sorting the stroller) they chased me up the stairs as they thought DD had been separated from me.

VA keep us as we are Silver FC and every time I price up flights BA are more expensive for an inferior product, with worse flight times.

Old 04-28-2013, 02:55 PM   #9
MrRomance
Planning and Plotting

Quote:
That's doesn't sound good. I think I would have spoken to the flight service manager on that outbound flight. They could have addressed your issues there and then. It would also have been noted about the crew member.

The return crew should have told you that your DD could move next to one of you and not just after take off. The way the system seems to operate is that is allocates to each one in the party in order. For example when we sit in the bubble we have 2 seats together and an odd one. The computer always allocates the single to our DD even when I try and change it it reverts back. It has done this since was under 2!

Once when I boarded with DD (DH was a bit behind sorting the stroller) they chased me up the stairs as they thought DD had been separated from me.

VA keep us as we are Silver FC and every time I price up flights BA are more expensive for an inferior product, with worse flight times.
The people behind me complained to the manager on board because she had ignored their requests a number of times too, but it didn't seem to make any difference. I think Virgin used to be the best and they're still trying to ride on their reputation of yesteryear. I have read a lot of posts with people saying they used to be good but they have deteriorated, they just need to get rid of these sub standard crew members and handle issues more appropriately in my opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabbie1 View Post
That is really bad what happened to you. I have found their service deteriorate over the years as well. Regards the seat numbers though I dont think I have ever sat in the seat issued to me. We sit in any of the 3 seats we have issued and noone has ever asked to see which seats we are supposed to be sat in. Mind you have only flown PE once as think its a waste of money and prefer to have the extra spending money or use it for something else. Each to there own. Even if I had the money I wouldnt do it unless it was a special occassion . I can totally understand if its for medical reasons or due to being tall etc.
We use P.E. for a few reasons. My DW and I were injured in a car accident in 2010, before that I would crunch my long legs into economy but I have a problem with my hip now that makes it impossible. P.E. is also easier for my daughter because it's a smaller cabin away from the crowds.

Old 04-28-2013, 03:02 PM   #10
scoobydooby
Dreaming of next Disney trip

I have flown PE once. In brief I would say its better, for all the reasons stated so I won't repeat them, but its not enough better for the price hike.
Old 04-28-2013, 05:16 PM   #11
irenep
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmiAlice View Post
Think it has been covered. I like PE but it's usually just too pricey. I am sure you will enjoy the experience

Quote:

I would be fuming too. Have you thought about cashing in your miles for some vouchers? It would be a shame to let them just go to waste and at least you would get something out of Virgin.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: