Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 03:22 PM   #16
Kwaschitz
Mouseketeer

GF strictly for the monorail. Its theming is a bit "stuffy" for my 7yo son. But the monorail access... definitively worth it. (That said, I've never been over to AKL so I can't speak to whether standard view there is worth it in comparison)
Kwaschitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:39 PM   #17
ke3d98
Disney Fanatic!

Since you have two boys I would go with the standard room at AKL. You'll save some money and will have enogh room for four people in a standard room:

ke3d98 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-12-2013, 10:14 PM   #18
T. Baker
Earning My Ears

We stayed at AKL and absolutely loved it. We booked a pool view but when we checked in the first thing the CM said was "you have been upgraded to an Arusha view room". We were not told any reason why or anything else.

We had a big problem with the toilet in our room and the staff at AKL were wonderful. Very gracious and bent over backwards to make sure we were happy. They moved us to a 2 bedroom/2 1/2 bath club level suite.

They checked in with us to be sure everything was going well. They were very nice about trying to fix the problem in the beginning (toilet had to be pulled out, etc. They lost use of that room for 2 days) and because of that we are sold in AKL. The service we received was exceptional.

We loved watching the animals from our room. The giraffes seem to travel in groups and we saw 3 or 4 together every morning. My husband said AKL was his favorite vacation to WDW ever.
T. Baker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:17 PM   #19
Robbi
DIS Veteran

AKL for your boys. I would usually say only with a savanna view but there is an awesome observation deck off the lobby. The poo, is wonderful and you can see the animals right near the pool deck.
Don't forget that there's construction going on at the GF on the new DVC. That would take away from the resort experience for us.
Robbi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:46 AM   #20
Cindie-rella
...Laughter is timeless. Imagination has no age. And dreams are forever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chocovrdmicears View Post
AKL - but I would do a Pool View if it is available.
AKL is such a fabulous resort - tons of activites for the kids - poolside parties and games - activities that they can participate in to earn beads - beautiful pool - animal viewing areas around the resort - nightly movies by the pool. We just adore it there.
If I am being honest thought - GF holds no appeal to us in terms of theming - so I wouldn't spend an extra $600 to stay there.
I agree. But if you are willing to pay the extra at GF then I say do Savannah View at AKL.

2000 ASMo 2005 POR 2006 AKL 2007 POR 2008 AKL/OKW 2013 POLY
Cindie-rella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 11:42 AM   #21
daisyduck123
I just love those parmesan mashed potatoes at Chef Mickey's!
I don't know how to cut & paste
Disney has made my family & I "park snobs"

Quote:
Originally Posted by disnmooner2013 View Post
I would only do AKL with a Savannah view.
Yep, same here.

So in the OP's case...we would choose Grand Floridian.
daisyduck123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:32 PM   #22
mel&me
Hello from New York

I say AK and use the money you save to treat the family to something you would not normally do.
Old 01-13-2013, 11:17 PM   #23
jba2
Mouseketeer

I'd choose AKL. Having stayed at both resorts on a 10 day trip, I much preferred the AKL. We had a partial savanna view at the lodge and at GF we stayed club level in the main building. We found the self-parking to be quite a hike at the GF and it involved crossing a road. I'll never stay at GF again.
Old 01-14-2013, 12:22 AM   #24
sndral
DIS Veteran

I've stayed at both and personally love the GF, but also like AKL. I, too, wouldn't stay @ AKL w/out savanna view - but w/ 2 boys the age of yours I suspect AKL may be a better fit. Will the GF courtyard pool be reopened by late Feb.? I thought it was supposed to reopen in March.
I second the Sanaa recommendation, but since you are going in Feb. plan on a meal during daylight hours (early dinner or lunch) so you are able to see the savanna animals better during your meal.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: