Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney World Tips
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-21-2013, 10:33 AM   #1
carissa1970
DIS Veteran

Rental Car question

I've read a lot of people on here saying that they prefer to rent a car while at WDW rather than using the buses and other transportation. We are going to be at OKW from July 20-25, and I just can't see paying over 300 for a car for 5 days. Perhaps I am missing something. It seems it would be cheaper to take a cab if we need to get to a grocery store or an offsite restaurant. Can anyone help me understand this? Thanks!

carissa1970 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #2
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

I suspect the preference is more about convenience than cost. We usually rent a car because we do a lot of off-property stuff and also go from resort to resort for dining. We also like that the car goes when we are ready, no waiting. When we have a car the only park we don't use it for is the MK since the bus drops you off right at the turnstiles.
Register to remove

Old 04-21-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
aubriee
Chocolate always makes things better

Quote:
Originally Posted by carissa1970 View Post
I've read a lot of people on here saying that they prefer to rent a car while at WDW rather than using the buses and other transportation. We are going to be at OKW from July 20-25, and I just can't see paying over 300 for a car for 5 days. Perhaps I am missing something. It seems it would be cheaper to take a cab if we need to get to a grocery store or an offsite restaurant. Can anyone help me understand this? Thanks!

Why would it cost over $300.00 for five days? Last May I was down there with a friend, who got a full size for around $98.00 for a week. Last Sept I paid $123.00 for a midsize for 8 days. Last Oct/Nov I paid $223.00 for a premium car for 9 days. I currently have a midsize booked for eleven days May 10th-20th for $210.00, but am expecting the price to drop about a week out from our trip, as most rental companies drop their prices about a week out. Join Alamo and National Insiders and apply discount codes and no way should you be paying over $300.00 for just five days.
aubriee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:50 PM   #4
carissa1970
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aubriee View Post

Why would it cost over $300.00 for five days? Last May I was down there with a friend, who got a full size for around $98.00 for a week. Last Sept I paid $123.00 for a midsize for 8 days. Last Oct/Nov I paid $223.00 for a premium car for 9 days. I currently have a midsize booked for eleven days May 10th-20th for $210.00, but am expecting the price to drop about a week out from our trip, as most rental companies drop their prices about a week out. Join Alamo and National Insiders and apply discount codes and no way should you be paying over $300.00 for just five days.
That's what I'm saying! Every website I check is showing that amount. I will try joining the companies to see if that helps. Do you have codes applied already for those prices?

Old 04-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #5
carissa1970
DIS Veteran

Perhaps I am too far out, date wise. All the codes available right now expire in June, and I need them for July. I will keep watching.

Old 04-21-2013, 01:36 PM   #6
ahappydisneymommy
Mouseketeer

Look on places like Kayak or Travelocity. They will list the prices by company. As you get closer to your date it will get cheaper. We got a SUV for 8 days for $165 on Hotwire. We are staying at the Poly this time but still getting a car, it is just so much more convenient.

ahappydisneymommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 01:58 PM   #7
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by carissa1970 View Post

Another benefit is that you can park outside your room at OKW.

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 05:20 PM   #8
anorman
DIS Veteran

Just be patient. About 3 to 4 weeks before you travel the prices will drop nicely. Last year we paid $265 for a full size 14 day rental with Alamo. I'm currently hanging in there waiting until July to book for my August trip.
Old 04-21-2013, 07:22 PM   #9
Wonderwoman1982
Mouseketeer

Check Payless car rental. They're at the airport, and their prices are generally half what the "usual" car rental companies charge. I just reserved a car for June, and for a mid-sized car for a WEEK, my total is $121.42..
Old 04-22-2013, 01:49 PM   #10
DisneyRegulars
DIS Veteran

Also check Fox rental cars. We have had very good luck with them. We've got 4 days in july for about $131 right now.

Sent from my phone using DISBoards Ap, please excuse any typos and autocorrect mistakes.

Trip report from our first DVC trip: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2864556
Plus our Anniversary Vacation: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2954701
Trip report with a potty training toddler: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=2987412
I survived a trip with MIL: http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3040750
A Magic Kingdom Ultimate Tour Adventure http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...92&postcount=1
First trip with Magic Bands http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3170056
Post Holiday Trip Report http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3201404
Non-Fancy Fanatics at VGF http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3268362
Sept '03 (All Star Sports, DH's first trip) || March '04 (Travelodge) || March '05 (Star Island) || XMAS '06 (All Star Vacation Home) || March '07 (POP, Deluxe Dining Plan) || March '09 (POP) || June '09 Disney Land || April '11 (All Star Vacation Home, DS's first trip-14m) || January '12 (OKW, first DVC trip) || July '12 (Boardwalk, Anniversary Trip) || Sept '12 (AKV) || Jan '13 (AKV) || July '13 (SSR, Anniversary Trip) || September '13 (SSR) || January '14 (Boardwalk, AKV) || May '14 (VGF and Expedition Everest Challenge)
DisneyRegulars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 06:07 PM   #11
d3boyz
Mouseketeer

rental car vs Disney transportation

More oftent than not, when we've flown to Disney we have not planned to do anything off-site so we used only Disney transportation while there.

Many of the transportation possibilitiies from MCO will give you a stop at a grocery store on your way to Disney World if you request it. I guess this brings up the difference between DVC and the other properties available for a stay. We typically stay at DVC, and a grocery store stop is all we need ... and THEN we take full advantage of the transportation at Disney.

d3boyz Mom.
d3boyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:28 PM   #12
carissa1970
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by d3boyz View Post
More oftent than not, when we've flown to Disney we have not planned to do anything off-site so we used only Disney transportation while there.

Many of the transportation possibilitiies from MCO will give you a stop at a grocery store on your way to Disney World if you request it. I guess this brings up the difference between DVC and the other properties available for a stay. We typically stay at DVC, and a grocery store stop is all we need ... and THEN we take full advantage of the transportation at Disney.

d3boyz Mom.
This is what I'm thinking. So many people on here complain about the Disney transportation that I'm worried. We are taking a town car from our cruise to OKW, including a grocery stop. We plan on parks for 2 days, and we want to hang at the resort one day, and then visit the other DVC resorts on one day. No plans to leave. Just want to make sure we don't spend half the trip in transport. Maybe we don't need a car...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: