DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > DVC Member Services
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 11:10 AM   #1
jenniferreich
Mouseketeer

Losing points question

Hi! My family purchased DVC last year, 100 points at SSR, and we have a Feb use year. I'm hoping I can run my plan by you to make sure i'm not setting us up to lose points.

November 2012 we stayed at SSR, and used 74 points, so we banked 26 points

This November 2013 we plan to stay at AKL and don't need a savannah view so it will only cost 57 points. We'll use those 26 banked points, plus another. 31 points from this year, and we'll bank 69 points.

Now here's where I'm worried, we aren't planning to go in 2014. And we'll earn 100 more points. I think I understand right that we can bank those 100 points to use 2015. But if we don't use the 69 banked points, will we lose them?

Then in 2015, we plan to go and would love to use 3 years worth of points (2014, 2015, and 2016) to stay at the SSR treehouses, with family.

My question is: Should we plan to use those 69 2014 points, maybe if there's a closer place near us in PA (Hershey? NYC?) or should we use them all up on our 2013 trip, with larger room or savannah view?

Many many thanks to you all! We are grateful to be a part of your DVC family! Jennifer
jenniferreich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Points can only be banked one use year forward. So yes, you would need to use the banked points in the use year to which they were banked or lose them.

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-06-2013, 11:20 AM   #3
jenniferreich
Mouseketeer

Hi Chuck, That's what I thought, thanks!!

Do you know where I can find points charts for other hotels, such as in Hershey and NYC? I'm thinking it's unlikely to get a room there for 69 points, but I'm an optimist!!

Thanks, Jennifer
Old 01-06-2013, 11:28 AM   #4
Chuck S
DVC Boards Co-Moderator

DISboards Moderator

Point requirements for nightly RCI exchanges are on the DVC Member website, 69 points can secure several nights, depending upon the type of accommodation and travel season You'd need to contact member services to see what season and check availability for your desired resort (I've heard you can also reserve RCI online now using DVC points, but I have no experience with that.)

DVC Member at OKW since 1992
Chuck S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #5
disneynutz

Earning My Ears One At A Time

I would use them for the 2013 trip, maybe a couple nights in Club Level?

Bill

disneynutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:48 AM   #6
jenniferreich
Mouseketeer

Thanks so much to you both!
Old 01-06-2013, 01:55 PM   #7
com_op_2000
DVC Member since '93

Can you make a long weekend trip to HHI to use those 69 points?
Old 01-06-2013, 08:02 PM   #8
rescuetink
DDC Member #428 A DCL Loving Family!! Who are all you Diser's?? Where did you come from?? And who made you ALL so helpful?? It's a disease I think!!

If you don't think you'll use them then see if someone will purchase them for a transfer!! But you would have to decide that early enough for someone to be able to use them before the end of your use year of Feb 2014!!

May 2001 Land & Sea on the Wonder (Pre Kids) : May 2006 7 Day Disney Magic : May 2009 7 Day Disney Magic : May 2010 7 Days In WDW at AKV Kidani :
November 2011 7 Day Disney Magic Double Dip : October 19-25, 2014 WDW at BLT (Our other home!)
rescuetink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:13 PM   #9
Deb & Bill
DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferreich View Post
Hi! My family purchased DVC last year, 100 points at SSR, and we have a Feb use year. I'm hoping I can run my plan by you to make sure i'm not setting us up to lose points.

This November 2013 we plan to stay at AKL and don't need a savannah view so it will only cost 57 points. We'll use those 26 banked points, plus another. 31 points from this year, and we'll bank 69 points.

Now here's where I'm worried, we aren't planning to go in 2014. And we'll earn 100 more points. I think I understand right that we can bank those 100 points to use 2015. But if we don't use the 69 banked points, will we lose them?

Then in 2015, we plan to go and would love to use 3 years worth of points (2014, 2015, and 2016) to stay at the SSR treehouses, with family.

My question is: Should we plan to use those 69 2014 points, maybe if there's a closer place near us in PA (Hershey? NYC?) or should we use them all up on our 2013 trip, with larger room or savannah view?

Many many thanks to you all! We are grateful to be a part of your DVC family! Jennifer
Book the savanna view instead of standard. Use those points. Or get a larger villa. Splurge a little.

Stop the madness. No more DVC construction.
Bring back Vacation Magic. Dump Disney Files!
Stopped drinking the Kool-aid long ago.
Deb & Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 10:36 PM   #10
Dean
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenniferreich View Post

If you can't plan an extra trip, I'd upgrade our AKV options in some way. Alternatives would be to rent the points, use them for other locations such as the CC or HH or RCI. RCI won't get you Hershey as they only have 2 BR units. Also, most resorts charge an extra housekeeping fee for less than 7 nights. 70 points would get you a studio for a 3 night weekend during HIGH season but the resort has to have studios and availability. Larger units would be more and lower seasons less.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:56 AM   #11
jenniferreich
Mouseketeer

Thank you!!

Thank you all so very much for the wonderful ideas and for taking the time to share them with me! I'm so happy to hear we have so many options! Thanks to you all for making me feel so welcome here in the DVC family!

I hope you're having a great day! Jennifer

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: