Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 01:08 PM   #1
I❤MICKEY
DIS Veteran

Castaway Cay Question

My DS are under 48". I read that in order for them to ride the water slides on the island they must wear a life preserver. Are these provided or is this something I would be required to rent? If so, what is the cost?
Old 01-11-2013, 01:22 PM   #2
Elangen
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by I❤MICKEY View Post
My DS are under 48". I read that in order for them to ride the water slides on the island they must wear a life preserver. Are these provided or is this something I would be required to rent? If so, what is the cost?
They have them there. In fact, you are required to use the ones provided. We had a life jacket for our son and they would not let us use the one we brought for the slides. They did let us use it on the boats. But YMMV.
Elangen is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2013, 01:43 PM   #3
STLEdge
Mouseketeer

Just so you're aware, the slides (Pelican Plunge) are on an "island" a short ways out from the beach, but in order to get there, you'll have to swim through water that is at least 6-8 feet deep. That was a surprise to me on our first trip to Castaway Cay and even with the life jackets, was a dealbreaker for my sons to try the slides (they're still learning to swim but have rudimentary skills).

When you come out of the slides, you land in that same water - 6-8 feet deep.

ps Leave your sunglasses on the beach - I lost a pair there last fall and the lifeguard nearby said that was an extraordinarily common circumstance, they sweep the bottom of the water there late afternoon and find dozens of sunglasses every day.
Eastern Caribbean, Disney Fantasy, November 2014
STLEdge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 07:57 PM   #4
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Wait....they have jackets for the slides??

My 7 year old doesn't swim but he will go in deep water with a vest. Does that mean it would be okay for him to go on it? Can I swim out there with him and then float somewhat near where the slide comes out to help him swim away faster?
Old 01-11-2013, 08:06 PM   #5
RN_Mom
Mouseketeer

They won't let you to close...best bet is time it to go down other slide at same time

RN_Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:19 PM   #6
Snick
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec
Wait....they have jackets for the slides??

My 7 year old doesn't swim but he will go in deep water with a vest. Does that mean it would be okay for him to go on it? Can I swim out there with him and then float somewhat near where the slide comes out to help him swim away faster?
My 6 yr old waited at the top while i flung myself down the "easy" slide, and she came down right after me. I told her I'd catch her at the bottom, but I had no idea how fast that slow slide was, nor how deep I'd go, nor how hard it would be to actually "catch" her! There was no way I could catch her. She came down about 10 seconds after me after i swam to the side to let her splash down. I was ever so thankful for that vest!!!! We BOTH had a ball and we talk about it all the time!! We can't wait to go again!!!

I suggest you go up the stairs with him, go down the slide first, and watch him fly out at the bottom! You'll both love it!

Best
Snick
2010, Pop Century, 4 days
2012, Land & Sea: Bahamas 4 day cruise, Pop, 7 days
2013?????
Snick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:28 PM   #7
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Thanks! I had already told him he couldn't go on the slide so that will be exciting. I was gonna may be try some swimming lessons this summer (we go October)
Old 01-12-2013, 06:32 PM   #8
MarineFam
Remember, It all Started with a Mouse...

I was really surprised at how fast the slides were. They pushed a lot of water down them and I also came close to losing my sunglasses. I caught them last second. He is going to love it!

DVC Members AKV

August 1996 WDW Honeymoon (Shades of Green); November 2003 WDW; September 2005 WDW; May 2007 WDW; December 2007 DCL (Magic) Eastern; May 2009 WDW; April 2012 DCL (Magic) Eastern; April 2012 WDW; April 2013 WDW (Pop Century); April 2013 DCL (Fantasy)Western; April 2013 WDW (1st DVC trip! Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas); June 2013 WDW (AKL Kidani);April 2014 Pre-cruise (AKL Kidani) DCL (Magic) Bahamas; Post-cruise WDW Pop Century; June 2014 WDW wk-1(BWV) wk-2 (OKW); April 2015 DCL (Fantasy) Eastern
MarineFam is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: