Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disneyland > Disneyland Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-05-2013, 12:29 PM   #76
OhioStateBuckeye
DIS Veteran

Eddie, Stormtroopers and Dinosaurs!!

Um yeah, our first stop was another trolley horse.

Meet Eddie. As of early March 2013, Eddie is the biggest trolley horse Disneyland employs.

He is kind of like a small elephant.

And a sight you will never see at WDW:

Oh its just Aurora out for a stroll around the grounds.

This is what happens when I ask Brian if he wants a picture with Eddie. He knows you are not to touch the horses, and he takes rules very seriously.

We were starving by this point since we'd just had a few pieces of fruit for breakfast, so our next stop was...

Then I took the scariest picture of the trip:

I didn't notice at the time, and this guy seriously scared me when I was going through my pictures later. He does not look pleased. And seems to be looking right at me.

Corn dogs were delicious. I left their clothes on in this picture since they were modest.

My trip notes are a bit sketchy at this point but I believe we got a FP for IJ and took some pictures along the way:

This bird loves the dole whip!! He knows whats tasty!

The lines for dole whips were insane this whole trip.

Then we decided to take a long walk over to ST. After riding, I was super excited to see this guy and I immediately ran after him along with all the little boys.

Then it was time for a spin on Space Mountain. Soooo much better than WDW's. I love this ride.

Next we decided to take a relaxing ride on the Railroad.

Next stop: New Orleans!

This next snack stop will be a surprise to no one:

Very pretty:

OhioStateBuckeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #77
OhioStateBuckeye
DIS Veteran

If you don't want to see 1 million pictures of the DL Hotel, back away slowly

It was about time to head back to the DL Hotel for some much needed rest, relaxation, and exploration

Goobye Guido!! See you soon!!

We had a brief stop into World of Disney:

I liked these little hats:

I would like to have this:

And then we were home!

Our window is one of these, I am pretty sure.

Some pictures of the lobby:

Our Adventure Tower lobby display:

Even the lights are pretty!

I loved the carpet:

This is our room number, if you want a good DD view request this number:

If you don't like seeing 50 million pictures of hotel rooms, then this may not be the update for you.

I really liked the pictures in our room:

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 04-05-2013, 01:14 PM   #78
OhioStateBuckeye
DIS Veteran

The trip had to hit a low point eventually, didn't it?

Our view:

This picture was in the bathroom and I love it:

Who doesn't want a little Jungle Cruise in their bathroom?!

We were supposed to take naps, but I think we just lounged around and Brian used the free wifi and I glued my eyes to the tv and watched all the Disneyland promos.

We had a reservation at Cafe Orleans for 5:30 so eventually we did have to get ready and get moving.

During our rest time we had a small discussion and decided we wanted to update our tickets to 5 day park hoppers. Because of our late arrival time to the parks on Monday, we had missed out on doing all the Fantasyland rides without a wait. We thought it would be a good idea to use the DL hotel early entry to Disneyland the next day and spend about 2 hours in the park before heading out to Anza-Borrego.

So we stopped down in the lobby and took another picture of the adorable teacup chairs:

And then we were informed by the front desk CM that we would have to pay a boatload to add another day onto our tickets. We had got the heavily discounted Dappy Day tickets, so we'd have to pay the money we'd saved on top of the additional fee for another day.

This was super disappointing to me, I hadn't really thought of that and I was kicking myself for not just ordering 5 day tickets to begin with. There was no way I was paying back my savings, so we were not going to be able to go into the parks the next day.

The only bright spot during our front desk visit was signing up for the get up and go power walk for the following morning.

So we sadly headed back through DD on the way to the park.

A blurry photo of sadness:

I stopped at the little guest services booth to make sure I couldn't upgrade my tickets without paying the difference, and of course I could not. I did take a picture of this tree. I thought it was interesting how far below the pavement the tree trunk goes:

Old 04-05-2013, 02:05 PM   #79
PHXscuba
Mouseketeer since birth!
I am lucky to have kids who also love Disney and a husband who loves it (and us) enough to humor my passion!

I love the DLH photos. We stayed there pre-reno and I would love to go back. Is it wrong that I want a light-up headboard of my own?

The Dole Whip lines were 45 minutes during our trip too. I think I may have to get one early in the day if I want it.

DS16 saw the Stormtroopers on his side trip but we didn't. Based on all the people seeing them lately, I think they're getting more time in Tomorrowland. DH would love a picture with a Stormtrooper -- DS8 got his picture with one at the library during a special event and he was so jealous.

PHXscuba
PHXscuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #80
OhioStateBuckeye
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHXscuba View Post
I love the DLH photos. We stayed there pre-reno and I would love to go back. Is it wrong that I want a light-up headboard of my own?

The Dole Whip lines were 45 minutes during our trip too. I think I may have to get one early in the day if I want it.

DS16 saw the Stormtroopers on his side trip but we didn't. Based on all the people seeing them lately, I think they're getting more time in Tomorrowland. DH would love a picture with a Stormtrooper -- DS8 got his picture with one at the library during a special event and he was so jealous.

PHXscuba

I considered ripping the headboard off the wall and tying it to the roof of the rental car, so no your wants are not wrong (not sure how I planned on getting it onto the plane, excuse me plane captain? Can I tie this headboard to the wing of the plane? thanks).

Dole Whip lines and Jungle Cruise lines were always insane during our trip! The secret to the dole whips is getting one immediately when the park opens We did that last year and even got a celebration pin that said "celebrating first dole whip of the day". That was a good one because later in the day CMs would read it, probably expecting to say happy birthday, and instead would be like Happy...first...dole whip of the day?

I am beyond obsessed with Star Wars and I practically ran to the Stormtrooper. He was doing one of those 'I am walking around not getting a line so come catch me' things.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #81
OhioStateBuckeye
DIS Veteran

Closing Time, you don't have to go home but you can't stay here

Then there was no more time for being unhappy because we were taking a jaunt down Main Street:

We headed off to seek out adventure and Indiana Jones:

Then we needed to head back to Main Street for our dinner reservation at Carnation Cafe. I think I keep confusing this with Cafe Orleans. But we definitely ate at Carnation Cafe. They sound the same

Cool light:

I asked if we could be seated outside. The sun was going down so it was starting to get chilly, but that was ok because Cafe Orleans has these wonderful heat lamps!!

Yay heat lamps!

And it looks like I forgot to talk about our new friend:

We named him Black Bart but later found out his real name is Maverick. Which Brian much prefers, it was his Halo gamer tag.

Brian and I played each other at one of the carnival games at DCA. The one where you roll the balls into the holes and your horse races. At the very last minute some other guy sat down to play with us and we were super annoyed. We didn't want the big prize, we wanted one of the little horses. And we also wanted to be guaranteed a win so that we didn't have to blow any more money. Luckily, Brian won and we got this guy.

We got the fried pickles as a starter and they were pretty good. Not excellent, but I mean, its typical fried food.

Brian went out on a limb and got the chocolate cherry coke and I had to get my Pomegranate Lemonade. Brian thought his drink was good and I had a taste. I thought it was interesting and probably good (?), but I don't think I'd have liked it to be my drink for the entire meal.

Brian got the Chicken Fried Chicken and loved it. I think he finished it in about 5 minutes. I ordered the Green Chile Cheeseburger.

When they brought our food out it took me a minute to realize that they had not brought my right order. I hoped out waitress would show up right away but it took her about 10 minutes. I ate my french fries and contemplated just eating what I had, but Brian thought I should wait.

She finally came and said she would get me what I had ordered, but they had to cook a new one. So all in all that probably added another 20 minutes to our dining time. I wasn't too pleased about that and my stomach was starting to hurt. Probably from junk food overload.

Here is my correct food:

We ended up getting 15% off our bill, so that made me a bit happier.

Dinner took quite a while so we didn't end up with too much time left in the park hours.

We finally decided to just bite the bullet and get in line for the Jungle Cruise. Now, is this ride always super popular at DL? Usually at WDW you can find the line to be walk on at random times during the day, but here the JC always had a 45 minute or longer wait. We couldn't really understand it but I was more than ready for some awful/amazing jokes so we decided to just wait in line.

They had the upstairs open, and I was grumbling about the long wait until we started up the stairs and I saw this:

There is an animatronic bird in the queue!! Whaaaaaa?! I loved this bird and I want one for my adventurer's bar that I'm building. Funny how it takes just one little thing in a long queue to make you happy.

Another queue picture of upstairs:

I just love the Jungle Cruise at night. It looks a bit more real, and the skippers always seem more animated and willing to deviate from the script.

After our cruise we headed to Fantasyland.

We exercised very poor judgment and allowed Mr. Toad to give us a ride in his car. Ya know, I'm not sure if that frog was drinking or not, but he is not a safe driver. I don't recommend getting in the car with him, you never know where you'll end up.

He looks distinguished in that portrait, but trust me, he has a crazy side.

I tried to take some nighttime pictures but none of them came out great.

The park was now closed so we headed through DD back to the hotel. We were supposed to go to Trader Sam's, but Brian wanted a 10 minute sit down break at the hotel and once we were there I made the mistake of lying down in bed and then didn't feel like getting back up.

I think I played the headboard 5 million times then we fell asleep.

Old 04-08-2013, 03:11 PM   #82
flightdave82
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioStateBuckeye View Post

Not having a plan as to what to do next, I decided I should take my ride on TOT. Brian's stomach can't really handle this ride too well, and I wanted to go on to compare it with WDW's TOT, so Brian settled in on a bench to wait while I rode.
How did you like DL's version of TOT compared to Floridas?

Past Trips
2011: WDW Swan & Dolphin
2007: WDW Marriot Downtown Orlando
1994: WDW Offsite
flightdave82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 04:32 PM   #83
OhioStateBuckeye
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightdave82 View Post
How did you like DL's version of TOT compared to Floridas?
I thought it was pretty much the same. The queue/hotel has the same old creepy wonderful vibe and the ride is amazing.

This being said, I have heard that the DL version only has one drop sequence, unlike WDW which is random. Going on it once was fun, but I can imagine it may get old riding it a few times each trip.

Owing to the random drop sequences, I'd have to give WDW the edge. But if you only wanna do it once or twice or whatever, its great
Old 04-08-2013, 11:14 PM   #84
stacy~**
DIS Veteran

I have finally caught up on your report. I think I had a million comments to make but now can only remember a few....

LOVE the DL hotel pictures....ah...if only my budget would allow it.

What a disappointment with the park tickets! I would have a hard time shaking that off.

I am invisioning LONG waits for us this July at RSR (we are not park openers typically) and seeing your que pictures (the glass bottle building!!) at least has me feeling like we have cool stuff to check out.
DISNEYLAND-Paradise Pier July 2013*BWI June 2012
ASMo March 2012-one day only*WL July 2010
POFQ Jan 2009*DISNEYLAND-Hojo Aug 2007
POFQ March 2007*CSR Aug 2006

Currently planning: Feb. 2015 and June 2015
"We're not gonna make it, we're not gonna make it!"-August 2014-TR
PTR: Have you ever planned a trip in 39 days on a total impulse? Same!~Aug 2014

3 days in LA, 6 days in Disneyland and 1 Amazing Cast Member Photo bomb

I am on twitter: http://twitter.com/stacyleigh9
stacy~** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:18 AM   #85
OhioStateBuckeye
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacy~** View Post
I have finally caught up on your report. I think I had a million comments to make but now can only remember a few....

LOVE the DL hotel pictures....ah...if only my budget would allow it.

What a disappointment with the park tickets! I would have a hard time shaking that off.

I am invisioning LONG waits for us this July at RSR (we are not park openers typically) and seeing your que pictures (the glass bottle building!!) at least has me feeling like we have cool stuff to check out.
I think I am a pretty quick TR updater, I do it at work when I'm bored (which is all the time).

DL hotel is a huuuuge budget buster, which is why we just had the one night, and only because of the Dapper Day discount.

I really was upset about the park tickets, at that point I was worried I'd get on my favorite PP at all (since I refuse to wait an hour). However, I just eventually shrugged it off as lesson learned, and maybe my warning will help someone else too.

The RSR queue is really not that bad!! There are tons of things to look at. One other hint though, I know July crowds will be really bad, but you might want to try getting in the queue right before park closes. We did this our final night in the park, and even though we were in the single rider line, we could see that the regular queue looked like it was going faster than usual.
Old 04-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #86
flightdave82
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I thought it was pretty much the same. The queue/hotel has the same old creepy wonderful vibe and the ride is amazing.

This being said, I have heard that the DL version only has one drop sequence, unlike WDW which is random. Going on it once was fun, but I can imagine it may get old riding it a few times each trip.

Owing to the random drop sequences, I'd have to give WDW the edge. But if you only wanna do it once or twice or whatever, its great
Aww that sucks about the random drop sequences not being at the DL version. My g/f and I last wdw trip we rode TOT like 6-8 times in a row. It was a walkon the entire night but we wanted to catch the last F! show otherwise we would have kept doing it lol

I know she will want to do it several times in a row again but being the same drop sequence maybe we wont find a need to marathon it again.

Past Trips
Old 04-09-2013, 11:19 AM   #87
OhioStateBuckeye
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Aww that sucks about the random drop sequences not being at the DL version. My g/f and I last wdw trip we rode TOT like 6-8 times in a row. It was a walkon the entire night but we wanted to catch the last F! show otherwise we would have kept doing it lol

I know she will want to do it several times in a row again but being the same drop sequence maybe we wont find a need to marathon it again.
Maybe not a marathon, but you could certainly do it more than once a trip. For instance, riding it during the daytime and at nighttime will change up the ride a bit.

Plus there are other sweet rides at DL to marathon, like Indiana Jones
Old 04-10-2013, 09:41 AM   #88
flightdave82
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Maybe not a marathon, but you could certainly do it more than once a trip. For instance, riding it during the daytime and at nighttime will change up the ride a bit.

Plus there are other sweet rides at DL to marathon, like Indiana Jones
I know I can't wait!!!
It's the one ride I have yet (and refuse) to watch on youtube so that I can be surprised about.

Unfortunetly I couldn't hold back from watching RSR when it first opened lol

Past Trips
Old 04-10-2013, 01:55 PM   #89
OhioStateBuckeye
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I know I can't wait!!!
It's the one ride I have yet (and refuse) to watch on youtube so that I can be surprised about.

Unfortunetly I couldn't hold back from watching RSR when it first opened lol
Good. Indiana Jones will probably blow your mind, especially if you are a fan of the movies.

I wouldn't worry about having watched RSR, youtube does not do it justice at all
Old 04-10-2013, 02:03 PM   #90
OhioStateBuckeye
DIS Veteran

An early morning power walk and even more hotel pictures

I did not make a note, but I believe our get up and go power walk was at 7. So we were up pretty early. This was our morning view:

Hello Earl of Sandwich! You are delicious!

There were no cameras or pictures allowed on the walk, so we left them back in the room. We were all to meet in front of the DCA entrance in the GC hotel. There were about 10 of us on the walk and then we had 2 guides.

Let me stop here and tell everyone: this walk is not for the faint of heart. The walk is officially called the 'get up and go POWERWALK', and it really was. I wanted to walk up front by the guide and ask him questions, so I really had to move it move it.

It was really peaceful and nice zipping around the parks before anyone else was there. We saw a few CMs getting the park ready, but for the most part it was just us.

Here are some things we learned from our guide:

-DL will never build value hotels. The city won't grant them permits to build lower priced hotels. It sounds like it is a combination of all the other hotels in the area, and also the fact that if Disney can book the higher rated hotels, that is what the city wants. There are plans to put up more higher priced hotels in the near future though.

-There should be a new parking garage going up in the fall. I believe he said they wanted to use the old parking lot spaces for some of the new hotels or a new park (he was being kinda shifty about a 3rd gate, not sure if it was because he didn't know or couldn't say).

-When the Swiss Family Treehouse was fitted with the new Tarzan overlay, the tree had more attendance in that opening day than it had received for the whole past year. He told us in no uncertain terms that if the company doesn't think a ride is generating enough attendance, it will be updated/removed.

-the queue for IJ is so long because the ride is actually underneath the parking lot tram station in DD.

Those are the major ones I can remember right now. All told we walked 2 miles in half an hour. It was kind of exhausting.

We zigzagged all over the park. We went right from the GC's gate, we went into the redwood adventure area, we walked down and all around the Pier, we went through Cars land and Bug's land and down the streets of Hollywood.

We found a new area I never even knew was there, where Goofy's Sky School is. Apparently we have never gone over there. Kind of like how we didn't set foot in Bug's land our last, and first, visit.

After the walk was over we had worked up a pretty good appetite we found that Jazz Kitchen Express was about to open, so we walked around for a few minutes while we waited for them to open and then were the first customers of the day!!

We got breakfast to go and took it back to the hotel to eat.

I had to get a breakfast cherry icee of course

This was Brian's:

And mine:

It was pretty standard breakfast sandwich type fare. We weren't too excited about it, but it was good.

I put the Disneyland channel back on the tv and we started packing up and getting ready (and by that, I mean I started to take pictures of every boring detail of the room).

Coffee maker!!

I liked the coasters:

Our view again looking two ways:

Oooh and the carpet:

The fancy decoration thingie on the bed:

Look! It's Kashyyk from Star Tours!! On the TV!

I liked the dimensions of the sink:

Aww a mickey head:

My favorite bathroom picture one more time:

All during this time I was playing the headboard. (did I even need to say that, or was it understood?!)

Can I have these pillows?! Geez, if they would sell even half the pictures/fixtures in the rooms in the lobby I bet they'd make a lot of money.

Figment was hiding, pretty sure he wanted to stay and live there and be the room's official stuffed animal:

Then it was about 5 minutes until check out and we knew we needed to say goodbye:

Just keep on believing, headboard. The dream that you wish will come true.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: