Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Global Neighbours > Disneyland Paris Trip Planning & Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 05:40 AM   #1
Frosted
Earning My Ears

Disneyland Paris or Hong Kong...

Out travels will leave us being able stop at either of these locations.

Wondering which is best, what is the same, what is different.

Have an 9 year old Daughter who would like to do the Bippity Boppity Boo Salon and a 3 year old boy who will not care!

Not sure if this is the best place to ask.

Sally
Frosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 05:53 AM   #2
torsie24
Or I could call it the postalabration
Now I know to wear flip flops!
Got engaged on a trip to Disneyland Paris

DLRP doesn't have a Bibbidi Bobbidi Boutique, but they have a princess makeover in the Disneyland Hotel, it's not the same scale as BBB though, but still looks lovely.

DLRP is bigger and better established, and will probably be easier for you food and language wise.

But I'd choose HK purely because it looks amazing and I've been to DLRP a few times and would love to visit the Asian parks.

WDW: 1994-I Drive / 2009-AKL / 2011-Disney Wedding -AKL-GF RPC-BW-BLT
DLRP 1997-HNY / 2000-SL / 2008-SL / 2009-DLH / 2012-HNY
DLR: 2005-Day Trip
torsie24 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2013, 06:32 AM   #3
Jonjo
Mouseketeer

I would choose Paris. It's a much larger park and has Walt Disney Studios next door. Hong Kong is nice but small and easliy done in a day. If your going to HK after Mystic Point opens then I would say yes, as and Grizzly Gulch which opend last year and Mystic Point are exclusive to the Hong Kong Disneyland and it would be your only change to experiance them.
Jonjo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
netimka
DIS Veteran

when Mystic Point is plan to open? and what it is we are hoping to go to hong kong later in 2014 for a week with couple of days for disneyland..

TIA

edit: just did a quick google and like what I found ;0
Old 01-12-2013, 02:45 AM   #5
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

As others have said, HK is a very small park, with no entertainment district (eg Disney Village). It is a nice park, and now has Grizzly Gulch which is completely unique to HK. It does have a BBB salon at the Disneyland Hotel.

I haven't been to DLP yet, but it's much bigger, and has more of the staple rides like POTC, Big Thunder Mountain, TOT etc (you won't find any of these at HK). There are 2 parks, plus Disney Village. It's a lot more expensive than HK.

As far as food goes, if your kids are fussy eaters, you might find the prevalent Asian style food at HK a bit of an issue. But there are Western style choices too. As far as language is concerned, I don't think there would be a big difference between HK and Paris - they're both languages I don't understand HK has lots of English around, and most CMs were quite easy to understand.

Where are you coming from, and what are your other interests? Would you be looking at exploring Paris or Hong Kong city as well? Have you been to Europe or Asia before? Which one is closer (ie you might be able to go again)? It's hard to say which park will be best for you without knowing any of this sort of stuff

I suggest reading a few TRs from each park and seeing if you can get an idea of which one you prefer the look of. For now I only have a TR on HK (link in my signature), but I will be adding one for Paris in the not too distant future There's also a HK section on the DIS you can check out for more information and TRs.

http://www.disboards.com/forumdisplay.php?f=179

TRIPS TAKEN
March 2011 DLR Engagement (HoJo & Peacock Suites) TR - March 2012 HKDL Honeymoon (HKDL Hotel) TR - Feb 2013 DLP (Hotel l'Elysee) & HKDL (Hollywood Hotel) TR - Aug/Sep 2014 RunDisney 10k DLR (DI&S & Portofino) TR

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Sep 2015 RunDisney Half DLR PTR - 2016 Shanghai Disneyland Opening Day PTR
zanzibar138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 08:29 AM   #6
zavandor
DIS Veteran

I would go to the one you think it's less likely you'll have another opportunity in the future.
If it's the same, I would go to DLP, Dreams (a nightime spectacular exclusive to DLP) alone is a good reason.
zavandor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:06 PM   #7
DLPaddict
Disney Dreamer

I'm going Hong Kong Disneyland for 3 days in May, I'm so excited! I hear the park (even though it is small) is cute and neat.

Obviously in my eyes DLP will always be number one but I'm so excited to experience the Asian parks this year!
DLPaddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 01:18 PM   #8
Ware Bears

Elvis Fan
Fridge Magnet hoarder

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by zavandor View Post
I would go to the one you think it's less likely you'll have another opportunity in the future.
WDW Holiday Inn Nikki Bird Easter 2004 DLP Explorers August 2005 DLP Explorers Christmas 2005 DLP Explorers August 2006 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Grand Plaza, St Pete Beach Easter 2007 DLP Explorers Halloween 2007 DLP Explorers August 2008 WDW Comfort Suites Maingate East/Disney Wonder Bahamas/Yacht Club Christmas 2009 New Year 2010 DLP Disneyland Hotel May 2011 DLP Newport Bay Club August 2012 DCL Disney Wonder Alaska DL Candy Cane Inn August 2013
Moderator Disneyland Paris
Ware Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #9
sky13
Mouseketeer

I prefer DLP to HKDL - there are more attractions (spread over 2 parks) - but then again I went to HKDL before Grizzly Gulch opened so there are more attractions now!

You didn't say when you're planning to visit either DLP or HKDL, but depending on time of year one thing to keep in mind is the weather. I went to HKDL in July and it was extremely hot (I doubt it gets anywhere near as hot in DLP); and went to DLP in December and it was around freezing (definitely doesn't get anywhere near as cold in HKDL!).

Parades-wise I've thoroughly enjoyed watching the parades in both parks. HKDL has some very good fireworks as well - but Dreams in DLP is really not to be missed (it's just SO GOOD!).

Either DL is easily accessible from the main airport - DLP is a 10 minute TGV ride from CDG airport, while HKDL is on the same island as the international airport.

Also it's very easy to get around in English - in DLP they use French and English, and in HKDL they use Cantonese, Mandarin and English.
sky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:19 PM   #10
Carrie_Cat
I'm a Rive Gauche person

Location: sur les cases bleues du monopoly -1 mile from Disneyland Paris

DLP isn't having a/c and in summer when it gets into the high 20's/low-mid 30's it can be very hot and unpleasant especially as it's dry heat and no air.

I'd rather do HK in summer with humidty and a/c than DLP with dry heat

Do come back op and tell us when you are thinking of going and where you are coming from as like others have said it depends on wether you will be nearer one or the other in the future

Vive la différence
Carrie_Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:16 AM   #11
erider
Earning My Ears

DLP or HKDL

I have been to both, and although I loved Hong Kong Disneyland I prefer Disneyland Paris. Hong Kong Disneyland's setting is beautiful, with all the mountains you can see from inside the park. Also the landscaping in the park is really nice, and the Jungle Cruise and Grizzly Mountain are amazing. Also the parks where pristine and all the effects in the attractions where working. Also loved the Lion King show there.

I prefer Disneyland Paris, because they offer many more attractions. You can spend a lot more time in Disneyland Paris. I also think that the Disneyland Parc is more detailed then the Hong Kong Disneyland park. You can see this for example in the shops and restaurants, which are all elaborately themed. I missed this in Hong Kong Disneyland. I also like the food better in Disneyland Paris. Hong Kong Disneyland has a lot of asian food, and I didn't like all of it.

Overall I did like Hong Kong Disneyland, and would come back again some time when Mystic Manor opens. But if you don't come so often in Disneyland Paris like me, I would recommend Paris over Hong Kong.
erider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 12:33 PM   #12
travellingwithnikki
I've visited every Disney Park in the world!

I personally love Hong Kong Disneyland (I was there earlier this week) but it is a very small park and can easily be done in one day. Grizzly Mountain is a great ride but there isn't much else apart from a Mickey and Minnie meet and greet in Grizzly Gulch. I'm looking forward to Mystic Point opening later this year - the ride looks like it will be brilliant!

Heading back out to sea on the Disney Magic in 2015

My YouTube Channel

My Travel Blog
travellingwithnikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 05:57 AM   #13
Frosted
Earning My Ears

Finally found my thread! I am so lost on these boards!

We are going in late September if Paris or Early October if HK. We are totally set on Paris now - looks amazing. Dreams looks beautiful...

Funny comments about the food - we are from Australia and my kids are more likely to chow down some asian food than eat a hamburger!

I was very excited today to see that they have a Pay 2 stay 4 deal on until the end of September so I think we will go all out and stay at DLH unless someone can convince me I am crazy!

My 9 year old daughter is so excited! I think the Princess Makeovers look a little lame compared to the BBB Salon so I have convinced her to give that a skip and I think we will do a lunch/dinner with the Princesses instead - we are from Sydney so the dining prices do not seem that scary!

Is it worth getting a Terrace room - is this a ground floor room or is a Terrace a Balcony - does it have a better view?
Frosted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 09:01 AM   #14
Bexx

Enjoys the UNIQUE Magic Kingdom
Crazed by the twiddly bits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosted View Post
We are going in late September if Paris or Early October if HK. We are totally set on Paris now - looks amazing. Dreams looks beautiful...
If you go to DLP, you will just in time. DLP's 20th Anniversary celebration goes on until 30th Sept and Dreams will be on every night until then. After that we don't know what the scheduling for Dreams will be.
~ WDW MK Day Trip Jan 83 ~*~ DLP Sequoia Lodge Nov 92 ~*~ DLP Newport Bay Club Nov 93 ~*~ DLP Sequoia Lodge Dec 95 ~*~ WDW Offsite Dec 96 ~*~ WDW Dixie Landings Jan 99 ~*~ DLP Sequoia Lodge Dec 99 ~*~ DLP Hotel New York Dec 02 ~*~ WDW Old Key West Feb 05 ~*~ DLP Newport Bay Club Nov 05 ~*~ DLP Day Trip Jan 06 ~*~ DLP Hotel Cheyenne Dec 06 ~*~ DLP Hotel Santa Fe Nov 07 ~*~ WDW Beach Club Villas & Old Key West + Portofino Bay Feb 08 ~*~ DLP Sequoia Lodge Jan 09 ~*~ DLP Sequoia Lodge March 09 ~*~ DLP Disneyland Hotel Feb 10 ~*~ WDW Beach Club Villas & Old Key West + Royal Pacific Resort Oct 10 ~*~ DLP Hotel New York Dec 12 ~*~ WDW Beach Club Villas & Old Key West + Royal Pacific Resort Aug 13 ~

Been there ... Done that ... Definitely going back!

Bexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 12:41 AM   #15
zanzibar138
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frosted View Post
Funny comments about the food - we are from Australia and my kids are more likely to chow down some asian food than eat a hamburger!
Oh, I had no idea you were a fellow Aussie! If I'd have known that, I wouldn't have hesitated for a second saying you should definitely go to Paris HK is basically on the way to anywhere from here so there will always be the opportunity to have a stopover there, if not make it a trip on its own.

Food for thought... I'm doing a stopover in HK on my way home from Paris. I was going through HK anyway and it was only an extra $50 to make it a stop-over

TRIPS TAKEN
March 2011 DLR Engagement (HoJo & Peacock Suites) TR - March 2012 HKDL Honeymoon (HKDL Hotel) TR - Feb 2013 DLP (Hotel l'Elysee) & HKDL (Hollywood Hotel) TR - Aug/Sep 2014 RunDisney 10k DLR (DI&S & Portofino) TR

TRIPS IN PLANNING
Sep 2015 RunDisney Half DLR PTR - 2016 Shanghai Disneyland Opening Day PTR
zanzibar138 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: