Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 09:36 PM   #1
ColoradoDisney
Mouseketeer

Top 5 Sit Down Restaurants at WDW

We have been to WDW several times and have ate at many of the restaurants on site. Please share your top 5 sit down restaurants on site. I am just looking for feedback on what people like. I am hoping to get some recommendations and ideas for our next trip. Any justification is welcome (location, food quality, value, service, etc.).

Thanks!!
ColoradoDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:40 PM   #2
Karlzmom
DIS Veteran

Here are mine:

1. Flying Fish - great food and atmosphere. We have always had amazing service and have been remembered from year to year.
2. California Grill - great food and amazing views.
3. Grand Floridian Cafe - our "casual" dinner spot. Elegant, but still approachable. Good food, nice service and a fun dessert plate with a chocolate Mickey sculpture to share.
4. Tusker House [breakfast] -interesting options with familiar faves. DH loves for a pre-open breakfast with great character interaction.
5. 50s Prime Time Cafe - Comfort food and kitsch! Need I say more?
AKV 2012, 2013 & 2014 BWV 2013
Disney Wonder to Alaska 2014

KATIE Yes, I'm the Jeopardy! champ......

Last edited by Karlzmom; 01-10-2013 at 09:46 PM.
Karlzmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2013, 09:46 PM   #3
rutgers1
DIS Veteran

1) Biergarten: We are a meat-n-potatoes kind of family, and we like the entertainment. I definitely will say it isn't for everyone, but we love it.
2) Boatwrights (POR): This was the best steak dinner I ever had. Never crowded. There isn't much in the way of theming, but we had a great meal.
3) Liberty Tree Tavern: Once again, if you are a meat-n-potatoes kind of person, this is a dream meal. We always compare it to Thanksgiving. You don't feel like you are eating at a theme park.

I really can't think of a 4 and 5, as everything else kind of blends into one another. Those are the three places that I felt exceeded my expectations.
rutgers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:56 PM   #4
kris4360
DIS Veteran

Coral Reef
'Ohana
50's primetime
Garden Grill
San Angel Inn
kris4360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:01 PM   #5
partigus
Mouseketeer

top 5 in no particular order...

this trip we will try both the Flying Fish and Brown Derby, so there could be some changes!

1) Le Cellier...Never been disappointed. Not THE BEST steak, but darn good. I'm ususlly a "no sauce" kind of purist, so their Fillet w/ risotto is a nice change of pace for mer

2) Kouzinna. This is based on breakfast alone as we've not eaten dinner here- did like dinne at the old "spoodles" though. Great breakfast in the Epcot resort area where (since getting a quick service bfast is next to impossible (Picabu's being the only choice and the Dolphin is often in the wrong direction!)) why not indulge at least one morning!

3) Grand Floridian Cafe- glad to see I'm not the only fan. One guidebook I read stsated "ok if staying there, not worth a special trip"...I totally disagree. It's a quick boat or monorail ride away from the MK. The menu has a ton of variety and everything we've ever ordered has surpassed expectations.

4) Yak and Yati- kind of surprised by this one. We'd skipped for several years, opting to drive over to the lodge on our way out of AK and enjoying Boma or Sanaa. This is likely now our AK go to! We hopped in last year without PS and were seated immediately (for dinner in June)- I think we got lucky that it had just rained and people hadn't showed. One of the best meals of hte trip- everybody really enjoyed things and nobody had the same dish- I had steak and shrimp, wife Salmon, sister something vegetarian, and bro in law something else. Appetizers were great as well.

5) Character meals...Yes cheating, but we enjoy many of these and sooo much comes down to what charaters you are into.

We particularly like either the food, setting, or both at Chrystal Palace, 1900 Park Fare, and Tusker House.

We were underwelmed by GArden Grill and Cape May (dinner)

Norway...tough- solid value on the DP, but steep if paying out of pocket. (Last year after a rain storm, we found ourselves in Norway at dinnertime and we had been planning on CS, but when I saw no line thought- great- we can jump in here. I'm used to thinkiing of this place as a "deal"...that was on the DP. After we sat down it dawned on me.....Thank goodness the chef special of the Day Cod was much better than anything I've every had there before....it made the $250 bill a bit easier to swallow...but not much!)
2010 Contemporary (5)
2009 Beach Club Villas (6)
2008 Wilderness Lodge (5)
2005 French Quarter (7)
2004 Wilderness Lodge (2)
2004 Marriott World Center (2)
2003 Polynesian (4)
1996 Port Orleans (4)
1992 Off Site (2)
1988 Grad Night (1)
1988 Naval Training Center (1)
1987 Grad Night (1)
1987 Naval Training Center (1)
Several family day trips- early 80's (4)
Trips to Fort Wilderness Campgrounds in early 70's (?)
partigus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:03 PM   #6
saintfan
Mouseketeer

1. 'Ohana
  2. San Angel Inn
  3. Tony's Town Sq.
  4. 50's Prime Time Cafe
  5. Sci-Fi Dine In
    Mostly DW choices
saintfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:07 PM   #7
M5ward
When You Wish Upon A Star...

Flying Fish
California Grill
Yachtsman Steakhouse
Narcoossee's
Artist Point

Love Rose & Crown for lunch...bangers and mash
Oh, and Tonga Toast at Kona Cafe for breakfast

Really enjoyed Be Our Guest for dinner, but it's new...Ned to try it a couple more times to see if it holds up.

Nov., 1981 (CR),Nov., 1983 (CR),Dec., 1994 (off-site),Jan., 2005 (BWI), March, 2006 (BWI), Jan., 2007 (SSR), Nov., 2007 (SSR), Feb., 2008 (BWV), Oct., 2008 (OKW), Jan., 2009 (BWV),Oct., 2009 (BCV), Jan., 2010 (BWV), Oct., 2010 (OKW),Jan., 2011 (BWV), Nov., 2011 (OKW)
Jan., 2012 (BLT),Apr., 2012 (BWV)Nov./Dec.,2012 (BWV), Jan, 2013 (BLT), , Apr, 2013 (BCV)Oct2013(BWV)
M5ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:12 PM   #8
TheRustyScupper
GKTW coordinator. Kiwanis and SCORE Volunteer. Make-A-Wish board. Average Banjo Picker. Pretty good sailing captain.

1) We prefer
. . . fine food
. . . excellent, top notch service
. . . innovative dishes with flair and quality
. . . overall great value
. . . relaxed and soothing dining atmosphere
. . . behaved and somewhat quiet patrons

2) The only sit-down restaurants, besides V&A, we patronize at WDW (in order)
. . . Sanaa - Animal Kingdom Villas Resort
. . . Artist Point - Wilderness Lodge Resort
. . . Citricos - Grand Floridian Resort
. . . Shula's Steakhouse - Dolphin Resort
. . . Il Mulino - Swan Resort

3) Our (nearby) Off-Site Recommendations:
. . . Bull & Bear - Waldorf Astoria Bonnet Creek, Fine Dining
. . . Café D'Antonio - Celebration, Casual Italian
. . . Columbia - Celebration, Casual Spanish/Cuban
. . . Fish Bones - Hwy192, Seafood
. . . Venetian Room - Caribe Royale Hotel, Fine Dining
TheRustyScupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:12 PM   #9
disneybliss2
DIS Veteran

'Ohana: love, love, love the food. We love that while it's served family style they will offer something more kid friendly for children. Love how they have leis, dancing, and coconut broom racing for the kids. Makes it a wonderful experience and not just about the food. Love it!
Akershus (dinner): love the cold buffet they offer before the meal. Have tried different entrees there and have always been pleased. Great place to meet the princesses and it's only one TS credit, vs. 2 like at the castle. Luckily, my daughter has always preferred Akershus over the castle which works for me.
Boma: HUGE selection, great variety, wonderful African setting at AKL.
1900 Park Fare: I know my fellow disers will most likely not join me with my sentiments on this restaurant pick, but it's a favorite of our family. We love it for dinner. We have always found the food to be fresh, very tasty, and have a large selection. MUCH better food offerings than a lot of the other buffet options. The character interaction with the stepsisters is the BEST on property. So makes the meal a wonderful experience!
Teppan Edo: delicious food and cute show from chef that our kids really enjoy.
disneybliss2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:14 PM   #10
partigus
Mouseketeer

yes it's true

the step sisters steal the show!
2010 Contemporary (5)
2009 Beach Club Villas (6)
2008 Wilderness Lodge (5)
2005 French Quarter (7)
2004 Wilderness Lodge (2)
2004 Marriott World Center (2)
2003 Polynesian (4)
1996 Port Orleans (4)
1992 Off Site (2)
1988 Grad Night (1)
1988 Naval Training Center (1)
1987 Grad Night (1)
1987 Naval Training Center (1)
Several family day trips- early 80's (4)
Trips to Fort Wilderness Campgrounds in early 70's (?)
partigus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:16 PM   #11
JimmyV
Por favor manténganse alejado de las puertas.

Victoria and Albert's
bluezoo
Il Mulino
Citricos
Shula's

Will have to re-visit California Grill after the remodel to see if it can crack this list. Others that just miss making the list are:
Jiko
Artist's Point
Flying Fish
Brown Derby
JimmyV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:30 PM   #12
meowser
Mouseketeer

Victoria & Albert's
California Grill
Jiko
Le Cellier
?? Maybe 'Ohana. I really enjoy it, but don't think it's particularly awesome in any way.
meowser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:50 AM   #13
ColoradoDisney
Mouseketeer

Thank you for many of the great ideas. Now if I can just get the DIsney dining website to work <sigh>.
ColoradoDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:05 AM   #14
JennyT2
Mouseketeer

As a family of 4 who loves the experience as much as getting a good meal. My kids are 9 and 11 and very good eaters ...

We love ...
Crystal Palace .... great for a buffet, great location to come out and watch the parade and fireworks after dinner
Grand Floridian ... great steaks, good excuse to ride the monorail lol!
Via Napoli ... love the pizza and the atmosphere
Teppan Edo ...yummy and fun! Chefs are so funny, very entertaining
LTT ..my kids love this place. I'm ok with but they demand it every trip lol! But then again my dd can eat her weight in mashed potatoes!

Have fun planning!

Next DCL trip Aug/2015
JennyT2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 09:07 AM   #15
MagicalMawMaw
DIS Veteran

California Grill has the best steak on property I think...I loved my steak here & I've eaten lots of steaks at Disney!

Flying Fish is awesome also....potato wrapped fish...yummy!

Teppon Edo ended up getting the honour of our top restaurant on our December trip. Very good chef & the chicken was great.

Ohana is always on our list for supper. Again we go for the chicken, I love the salad & the dessert. Also, we just enjoy the relaxed feeling here too.

We love lots of the other places too...like Coral Reef, Fultons, LeCellier, Cape May Breakfast & Ohana breakfast. However, I think as weird as most folks will think this is...I'll list Chef Mickeys breakfast as my 5th favorite.

We ate at Chef Mickeys this time for our first time. The bad reviews have always kept me from dining there. This time we had an extra credit on our deluxe plan so I booked Chef Mickeys breakfast. The food was great & the characters awesome. I found the characters there aren't in such a rush & the whole experience was a positive one & it is now on my must repeat list!

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: