Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
Traveler4Life
Earning My Ears

Castaway Cay

Are umbrellas available for rent on castaway cay? How about the paddle boats? Not sure I want to spend $500 for a cabana.
Traveler4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #2
threewilmingtonwalls
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler4Life
Are umbrellas available for rent on castaway cay? How about the paddle boats? Not sure I want to spend $500 for a cabana.
You don't have to pay for the umbrellas; they are free! ;-) Don't recall ever seeing paddleboats, though. In my experience, the cabana was absolutely not worth the $500.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-04-2013, 05:50 PM   #3
Traveler4Life
Earning My Ears

Thanks. My husband is thinking of renting a cabana but if the umbrellas are free why spend the $500.

I thought there were some kind of boats on castaway cay that may not be paddle boats but maybe the peddling boats.
Traveler4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:51 PM   #4
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Umbrellas are free--just pick a chair near one. If you don't see one, walk a little farther down the beach; there are plenty.

I probably made 15-20 trips to CC before they had Cabanas and had a totally marvelous time. If you want to spend the money, go for it. But you can certainly have a great time without the expense.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:58 PM   #5
conan979
Earning My Ears

We took advantage of a cabana our last trip, there was an on-board special of $295 for the cabana, split the cost with a family and well worth it. They have a CM there all day filling drinks, bringing towels and snacks. Plus the padded chairs were so relaxing! We spent almost the entire day there so we got our dollars worth. I don't think we would have done it at full price, unless you're all about privacy.
conan979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:22 PM   #6
neg58
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traveler4Life View Post
Thanks. My husband is thinking of renting a cabana but if the umbrellas are free why spend the $500.

I thought there were some kind of boats on castaway cay that may not be paddle boats but maybe the peddling boats.
There are some peddle boats, sail boats and Hobiecats in the boat lagoon to rent. They aren't much, about $20. There are also kayaks that are part of certain excursions but I don't know if you can rent them separately. My kids went on a teen excursion that included kayaking.

Lots of umbrella, some near hammocks!

I love Castaway Cay.

Nancy
neg58 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:26 PM   #7
DizMagic
Mouseketeer

Are there umbrellas on Serenity Bay as well? We are trying to get a cabana, but they are all listed as sold out for our 2/2 cruise. I am very fair skinned and would never make it in the direct sun all day with no protection.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:29 PM   #8
lunsusie
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizMagic View Post
Are there umbrellas on Serenity Bay as well? We are trying to get a cabana, but they are all listed as sold out for our 2/2 cruise. I am very fair skinned and would never make it in the direct sun all day with no protection.
There are plenty of umbrellas on Serenity Bay. No need for a cabana, unless you just want one.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:51 PM   #9
kcashner
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizMagic View Post
Absolutely--again, if not really close, walk just a short bit.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:07 PM   #10
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizMagic
I'm very fair skinned and I worried about this, too. But even on a nearly sold-out Dream cruise I was able to find an umbrella. No worries!
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:37 PM   #11
Brendonsmom
Love the Magic

We were on Castaway Cay last week. Our cruise was over Christmas and sold out. There were plenty of chairs available both lounge and smaller. We had no difficulty finding a place to relax morning or afternoon. The smaller chairs were great for sitting on the edge of the water where the kids play. Two very large beach areas for families were available so I don't think you will have a problem. The umbrellas are very large and permanent. Plenty of room to cover at least two rows of chairs, several wide.
There were jet skis and a boat with large wheels that looked like a tricycle. People seemed to be having a lot of difficulty paddling them away from the beach. The current was strong in that area.
If you are interested in biking and snorkling then do the package where you get bikes, snorkles, and an innertube for the day. We rented for two days and felt we got our monies worth. You can keep the snorkle gear all day and no one was checking for bikes to be returned at a specific time.
Have a wonderful time and don't worry.

Brendonsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #12
NeverlandCrew
Trying Our Best to Never Grow Up

Brendonsmom: what was the water temp like?
Old 01-11-2013, 09:01 AM   #13
MarineFam
Remember, It all Started with a Mouse...

We have been to Castaway Cay a couple of times on the Magic and have never had a problem finding a place at all. We are now going to be going on the Fantasy which obviously is a larger ship and I am wondering if anyone can tell me if it seems really crowded with the larger ships on the Island.

My older son ran the 5k on the Island last time and loved it. Can't wait for this time!!!

DVC Members AKV

August 1996 WDW Honeymoon (Shades of Green); November 2003 WDW; September 2005 WDW; May 2007 WDW; December 2007 DCL (Magic) Eastern; May 2009 WDW; April 2012 DCL (Magic) Eastern; April 2012 WDW; April 2013 WDW (Pop Century); April 2013 DCL (Fantasy)Western; April 2013 WDW (1st DVC trip! Animal Kingdom Lodge Villas); June 2013 WDW (AKL Kidani);April 2014 Pre-cruise (AKL Kidani) DCL (Magic) Bahamas; Post-cruise WDW Pop Century; June 2014 WDW wk-1(BWV) wk-2 (OKW); April 2015 DCL (Fantasy) Eastern
MarineFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:25 AM   #14
matt&jakesmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
There are some peddle boats, sail boats and Hobiecats in the boat lagoon to rent. They aren't much, about $20. There are also kayaks that are part of certain excursions but I don't know if you can rent them separately. My kids went on a teen excursion that included kayaking.

Lots of umbrella, some near hammocks!

I love Castaway Cay.

Nancy
Wondering what your kids thought of the teen exursion. We are going next year and thought my boys 17 and 15 may enjoy. Any feedback would be great. Thanks.

Tags
cabanas dream, castaway cay

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: