Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 04:26 PM   #1
Wills Mom
DIS Veteran

travel cot/car seat questions

So we are flying from Ireland in May for 17 nights, staying offsite in a villa for DS's first trip We are going to buy a pack n play and a mattress when we get there for him to sleep in for the duration but I'm wondering where should I go to get these? I don't want to spend much money on them as we will be leaving them behind!
Also we'll be buying a convertible car seat when we arrive - also dont want to pay too much for it. Any recommendations?
Thanks in advance!

Wills First Adventure TR May 2013

Wills Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:38 PM   #2
pooh4evr
Mouseketeer
In STL we drink soda and eat barbecue, use realators, eat sherbert, and drive on rout farty far

Try checking a rental site called A Baby's Best Friend they have tons of stuff you can rent (strollers, cribs, toys...)
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2013, 05:24 PM   #3
adisneymama
DIS Veteran

Check with the villa. They may have either a play pen or portable crib that you can use for free. The only problem I see with not having the car seat with you is how do you plan on getting from the airport to where you are going to buy the seat? I would really consider gate checking your car seat. Not sure the rules in Ireland or how old your son is but I am assuming way too young to not be in a car seat at all times if he is young enough for a pack n play.
adisneymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:27 PM   #4
airis
Earning My Ears

You don't say your sons age and size so it's hard to give a good car seat recommendation but ill try to point you in a good direction. If he's younger than say 6 or 7 months, I would recommend a Graco Snugride 22 infant seat over a convertible. You can find really cheap ones at Walmart, target, etc. if he's older than that but no bigger than an average 3.5 year old a Scenera is your best bet. It's $40 regular price. It rear faces to 40lbs tho I don't recall the forward facing limit. Most kids outgrow it forward facing by height rather than weight as the harness height is low. That's why it's iffy for bigger 3yos who face forward. It will not fit a small infant well, so before 4-5mo, I would pick something else.

Beyond that, I would say an Evenflo Maestro (forward facing only combo harness to booster) would be a safe bet. It's what I got in a similar situation for my then 3yo. It's about $80.

Good luck.
airis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:59 AM   #5
Wills Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by adisneymama
Check with the villa. They may have either a play pen or portable crib that you can use for free. The only problem I see with not having the car seat with you is how do you plan on getting from the airport to where you are going to buy the seat? I would really consider gate checking your car seat. Not sure the rules in Ireland or how old your son is but I am assuming way too young to not be in a car seat at all times if he is young enough for a pack n play.
DS will be 14 months, almost 15, when we travel. I have checked with the villa and they want $80 to hire a pack n play and $80 to hire a car seat - and no way am I paying that when I don't even know the condition and I know you can buy them cheaper!
As for gate checking our car seat, as we are gate checking our stroller we would have to pay to bring the car seat and it gets messy as we're not flying direct.
We were thinking of renting a car seat from the car company if it wasnt too much money, I wouldnt mind using the rented seat for an hour until we got to the shop to buy the carseat.

Old 01-11-2013, 06:59 AM   #6
Wills Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by airis
You don't say your sons age and size so it's hard to give a good car seat recommendation but ill try to point you in a good direction. If he's younger than say 6 or 7 months, I would recommend a Graco Snugride 22 infant seat over a convertible. You can find really cheap ones at Walmart, target, etc. if he's older than that but no bigger than an average 3.5 year old a Scenera is your best bet. It's $40 regular price. It rear faces to 40lbs tho I don't recall the forward facing limit. Most kids outgrow it forward facing by height rather than weight as the harness height is low. That's why it's iffy for bigger 3yos who face forward. It will not fit a small infant well, so before 4-5mo, I would pick something else.

Beyond that, I would say an Evenflo Maestro (forward facing only combo harness to booster) would be a safe bet. It's what I got in a similar situation for my then 3yo. It's about $80.

Good luck.
Thank you I'll take a look at them when I can get to a computer

Old 01-11-2013, 08:11 AM   #7
mjkacmom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wills Mom View Post
DS will be 14 months, almost 15, when we travel. I have checked with the villa and they want $80 to hire a pack n play and $80 to hire a car seat - and no way am I paying that when I don't even know the condition and I know you can buy them cheaper!
As for gate checking our car seat, as we are gate checking our stroller we would have to pay to bring the car seat and it gets messy as we're not flying direct.
We were thinking of renting a car seat from the car company if it wasnt too much money, I wouldnt mind using the rented seat for an hour until we got to the shop to buy the carseat.
You can rent a pack and play for $40, and a carseat for that price, as well. Also, you can put your ds in his carseat on the plane for free, right?
mjkacmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #8
Wills Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjkacmom

You can rent a pack and play for $40, and a carseat for that price, as well. Also, you can put your ds in his carseat on the plane for free, right?
I don't want to rent as to be honest I have a thing about germs especially where my kid is concerned.
As for the car seat on the.plane, thats not possible as he will be a lap.passenger and wont have his own seat. His own car seat weighs a tonne so would rather not bring it, plus I don't want it to get jostled around if I check it in case it decreases the safety of the seat.
Thanks for answering my questions. I'll just wait til I get there and see what happens, thats probably the best thing to do. I mailed my tour operator for advice as to what I can do about a car seat. Maybe their rep would pick one up for me if I'm super nice lol

Old 01-11-2013, 02:43 PM   #9
uagirl
Oh Toodles!

Quote:
I don't want to rent as to be honest I have a thing about germs especially where my kid is concerned.
As for the car seat on the.plane, thats not possible as he will be a lap.passenger and wont have his own seat. His own car seat weighs a tonne so would rather not bring it, plus I don't want it to get jostled around if I check it in case it decreases the safety of the seat.
Thanks for answering my questions. I'll just wait til I get there and see what happens, thats probably the best thing to do. I mailed my tour operator for advice as to what I can do about a car seat. Maybe their rep would pick one up for me if I'm super nice lol
Honestly, most of these rental companies probably do a better job in cleaning than you think. The stroller we rented on our last trip was far cleaner than the one I left sitting in my car at the airport.

And if you are worried about germs, there is always Lysol.

Me-33 DH-33 Princess C-Bear-3 Princess #2 - Coming July 2014

uagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:01 PM   #10
pooh4evr
Mouseketeer
In STL we drink soda and eat barbecue, use realators, eat sherbert, and drive on rout farty far

We have used Baby's Best Friend before to rent strollers, they are a great company, everything was very clean, well maintained, and they are easy to work with. Maybe look at their site before you make a decision.
Old 01-11-2013, 04:13 PM   #11
CanuckTraveller
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by airis View Post

Good luck.
Ditto, I'm a Canadian car seat tech and this is exactly what I would suggest too.
However, you may want to look into these seats and see if they are available at your home, so you can make sure you know how to install them once you get here. The Scenera and Maestro are both easy to install once you know what to do. The Graco base is very easy to install too, but in some cars it can be hard to get the angle right (but you're probably not going with this seat given the age of your child).
I always suggest using your own seat or buying a new one, as then you know the history. I've seen car rental companies give out seats I know have recalls on them (and who knows if the recall fix was done), dirty seats, or run out of seats. I've also seen new seats being pulled out of a box to give to a customer.
Personally, I bring my own seats, install them on the aircraft and rent cars I know work well with my seats.
African safari, July, 2016

Past:
DCL Dream/ WDW, March, 2013
NCL Jewel, New Year's Eve, 2012
NCL Star, New Year's, 2012
NCL Sun, New Year's, 2011
Land trips to all Canadian provinces, most of the eastern US, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Cuba, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Egypt, Columbia, Puerto Rico and a few others I can't remember as a child!
CanuckTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 04:33 PM   #12
Wills Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooh4evr
We have used Baby's Best Friend before to rent strollers, they are a great company, everything was very clean, well maintained, and they are easy to work with. Maybe look at their site before you make a decision.
Just checked them out. They would be great for a short stay but the price would be way too high for a rental for 17 nights. I reckon it will be much cheaper to buy them at those prices.

Old 01-11-2013, 04:39 PM   #13
Wills Mom
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanuckTraveller

Ditto, I'm a Canadian car seat tech and this is exactly what I would suggest too.
However, you may want to look into these seats and see if they are available at your home, so you can make sure you know how to install them once you get here. The Scenera and Maestro are both easy to install once you know what to do. The Graco base is very easy to install too, but in some cars it can be hard to get the angle right (but you're probably not going with this seat given the age of your child).
I always suggest using your own seat or buying a new one, as then you know the history. I've seen car rental companies give out seats I know have recalls on them (and who knows if the recall fix was done), dirty seats, or run out of seats. I've also seen new seats being pulled out of a box to give to a customer.
Personally, I bring my own seats, install them on the aircraft and rent cars I know work well with my seats.
I've heard that about car seats too, its another reason I dont want to rent. I was looking at a couple of seats on the Walmart website and theres reasonable ones for about $40 ish. Can I just ask - what is the law in the US for kids in car seats? I mean, what age/weight must they be to go in a forward facing car seat? DS weighs 23lbs, is 31 inches tall and is 46 weeks old and we moved him to a forward facing seat about 3 weeks ago so if we had to put him in a rear facing seat while in the US I think he would be extremely cranky. Car journeys while he was still rear facing were a complete nightmare for all involved!!

Old 01-11-2013, 05:59 PM   #14
airis
Earning My Ears

Florida car seat laws specify rear-facing prior to 12 months and 20 lbs They have not caught up with current recommendations from the American Academy of Pediatrics to stay rear-facing to a minimum of 24 months or until the limit of the seat. At 14-15 months I would recommend rear-facing. Many kids do not mind switching to rear-facing, especially in a new environment, however you would probably be fine legally to remain forward facing.

Alternative to renting a seat for transport to a store to buy a new seat, you could send one member ahead to the store in the rental car while the rest pick up checked luggage and/or grab a snack at the airport.
airis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 06:38 PM   #15
CanuckTraveller
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I've heard that about car seats too, its another reason I dont want to rent. I was looking at a couple of seats on the Walmart website and theres reasonable ones for about $40 ish. Can I just ask - what is the law in the US for kids in car seats? I mean, what age/weight must they be to go in a forward facing car seat? DS weighs 23lbs, is 31 inches tall and is 46 weeks old and we moved him to a forward facing seat about 3 weeks ago so if we had to put him in a rear facing seat while in the US I think he would be extremely cranky. Car journeys while he was still rear facing were a complete nightmare for all involved!!
I'm Canadian and we advocate for at least 18 months rear facing, US academy of pediatrics says 2 years, but all laws have a stipulation that you follow their local law as well as the car seat manufacturer's minimum standard. You can check on-line for the minimum age, height and weight requirements of the seats you're considering. I'm not in the US, but in Canada, what you're doing would be illegal, as all seats have a 1 year minimum and I believe Florida is the same. A quick check of their department of transportation would give you this information.
African safari, July, 2016

Past:
DCL Dream/ WDW, March, 2013
NCL Jewel, New Year's Eve, 2012
NCL Star, New Year's, 2012
NCL Sun, New Year's, 2011
Land trips to all Canadian provinces, most of the eastern US, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Cuba, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Egypt, Columbia, Puerto Rico and a few others I can't remember as a child!
CanuckTraveller is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: