Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
mccathy
DIS Veteran

Any baby wearers out there?

Any of you moms or dads wear your babies/toddlers while touring Disney? I'm on my third child and have fallen in love with baby wearing. We have a trip planned for when this baby is 13 months and I'm seriously considering wearing him for the most part (my husband and I could take turns).

We'll be going in December, so heat shouldn't be an issue... curious if anyone out there has worn their baby around Disney? My other two will be 6 and 9 when we go, so it will be nice to just park the stroller and wear the baby for most of the day.

If you have.... what's your favorite carrier? I'm currently using a Moby Wrap and just ordered a Boba carrier.

My five year old had his kindergarten vaccines - two weeks later he suffered a stroke. You can read more here: http://lifeinasmallhouse.blogspot.co...ening-can.html

1980 My First Trip to DW - no idea - I was only 3!
1992 High School Band Trip - off site
2001 Honeymoon - off site
Oct. 2008 Caribbean Beach with Friends
Feb. 2009 Boardwalk - Our First Trip "Home"
March 2010 Beach Club - 10th Anniversary Getaway
June 2010 Animal Kingdom Lodge - Special trip with my mom, sister, and boys!
Sept. 2012 Caribbean Beach with the in-laws - Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party!
mccathy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:20 PM   #2
starsweeper
DIS Veteran

I didn't use a sling at WDW because my kids were 2.5yo, but I did use a sling often when they babies. It is the best way to get around and have two free hands, I'm surprised more people don't do it. I used a Peanut Shell sling in microfleece. I lived in Guatemala with my two older kids when they were around 6-9 months where temps were 80+ every day and it was bearable.

Disney Vacations:
Aug79 - PR, Apr85 - Golf Resort, Apr88/Apr91 - Offsite, Jun97 - Offsite (Mom & me), Nov06 - CBR (DH & me - F&W), Feb09 - PCR (1st w/kids), May10 - Mariott OWC (Mom & Kids - F&GF), Oct13 - PR (1st w/4 kids - MNSSHP), Oct15 - Extended family trip?

Other Family Vacations:
Jun13 - Outer Banks NC, Oct14 - Sleeping Bear Dunes/Leelanau County MI, Jun15 - Black Hills/Badlands SD & Yellowstone/Grand Teton WY
starsweeper is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2013, 04:27 PM   #3
mamato3girls
Mouseketeer

We did Disney last April and my baby was 8 months old (she's my 3rd as well). She spent probably 95% of the time in the Boba or Ergo carrier. I started out the week with just the Boba but found that switching between the 2 carriers over the course of the week helped a bit. I think using just the 1 carrier was putting more stress on my body. So the first 2 days we did the Boba, day 3 Ergo, day 4 Boba, etc. When she fell asleep I switched her around to my back and when she was awake she was mostly on my front. We had no problems. It was late April but we lucked out on weather and it was a nice low 70s most of the week. We had no issues at all though, I did put her in the stroller during parades because she enjoyed watching them and occasionally she preferred the stroller rather than my husband having her in the carrier when I rode rides.

The only issue I had all week was on the carousel actually. We had been on it 3 or 4 times with no issue but for whatever reason they came running over to me on our last ride. The CMs told me it was "unsafe" for her to be in the carrier during the ride (I had her on my front in an Ergo and was standing beside the horse holding onto my 3 year old). They said I had to put the baby on a horse and could stand beside her to support her if I was worried she would topple over . I did it but after I got off I realized how ridiculous it seemed that they thought it was safer for her to be sitting on a horse than actually strapped safely to me. Who knows though, maybe that is the policy?
mamato3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
mccathy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamato3girls View Post
We did Disney last April and my baby was 8 months old (she's my 3rd as well). She spent probably 95% of the time in the Boba or Ergo carrier. I started out the week with just the Boba but found that switching between the 2 carriers over the course of the week helped a bit. I think using just the 1 carrier was putting more stress on my body. So the first 2 days we did the Boba, day 3 Ergo, day 4 Boba, etc. When she fell asleep I switched her around to my back and when she was awake she was mostly on my front. We had no problems. It was late April but we lucked out on weather and it was a nice low 70s most of the week. We had no issues at all though, I did put her in the stroller during parades because she enjoyed watching them and occasionally she preferred the stroller rather than my husband having her in the carrier when I rode rides.

The only issue I had all week was on the carousel actually. We had been on it 3 or 4 times with no issue but for whatever reason they came running over to me on our last ride. The CMs told me it was "unsafe" for her to be in the carrier during the ride (I had her on my front in an Ergo and was standing beside the horse holding onto my 3 year old). They said I had to put the baby on a horse and could stand beside her to support her if I was worried she would topple over . I did it but after I got off I realized how ridiculous it seemed that they thought it was safer for her to be sitting on a horse than actually strapped safely to me. Who knows though, maybe that is the policy?
Oh! I was going to ask about rides???? I would imagine that I would be able to leave him in the Boba for any rides where he could sit on my lap. I'm surprised they had you put the baby on a horse!?!? Crazy. And I debated a long time between the Ergo and Boba - sounds like I should get both! ha! My husband will think I'm nuts. I did see the Ergo Light... or something like that... not as expensive and less fabric. Maybe that would do the trick to mix things up.

My five year old had his kindergarten vaccines - two weeks later he suffered a stroke. You can read more here: http://lifeinasmallhouse.blogspot.co...ening-can.html

Sept. 2012 Caribbean Beach with the in-laws - Mickey's Not So Scary Halloween Party!
Old 01-10-2013, 04:50 PM   #5
mamato3girls
Mouseketeer

Every other ride I had no issues. On the dumbo ride they just told me I needed to try my best to somehow position the lap belt over the baby too. I just kind of put it around her back/bottom and that was fine with them. I think you can't go wrong with either the ergo or boba. I got the Ergo when my oldest was a few months old (she's 6 now) and so I already had the Ergo. I had just gotten the boba before our disney trip. My baby likes them both equally and honestly I like them both mostly equally. The ergo shoulder straps are a softer padding which I like but the boba fits my hips better.
mamato3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:56 PM   #6
3girlsfun
working to pay for vacation

I wore my YDD when she was 8 months old in an Ergo. I did so on all the rides, and when she was sleeping. (We had a double stroller, but, my other two DD's rode in it. I will be take a 7 or 8 week old baby in March....I'm planning to wear her in the Ergo for a lot of the trip! It is great!

Just be careful that they don't over heat. They get super warm, and I sweated my butt off!

Me DH DD 8 yrs. DD 4 yrs., DD 3 yrs., and baby princess

First Family Trip October 2010! POP!,Princess 1/2 Marathon, February 2011, ASMO,Disneyland 1/2 Marathon, September, 2011 HoJo! Pre-Cruise stay, June, 2011, OKW, 1st stay as DVC owners! Marathon relay, January, 2012, AKL Princess 1/2 Marathon, February, 2012, ASMU, Spring Break, April, 2012, AKL, 10 days, June, 2012, SSR, TOT 10miler, September, 2012, BWV, Spring Break! OKW/Ft. Wilderness cabins, March, 2013, Dumbo Double Dare, DLH, September, 2013, 1st Thanksgiving trip, CBR, Nov., 2013
3girlsfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:14 PM   #7
angelmom27
DIS Veteran

Babywearing is addicting. Lol. I just started babywearing with my ydd she just turned 2yrs. We went to disney when she was 3 months and I used my moby and ergo. Used the ergo for my 2 yr old now 4 yr old dd. She fell asleep before we got on POTC and I just had my cousin help me put her on my back. They didn't say anything. Did have the bus driver say I couldn't stand with the baby in the moby.

I have a bali stretch Orca, ergo, natibaby sea, and an ecosash (MT). I want a boba cause of the height on the back. And of course there are lots of woven wraps I have fallen in love with. I haven't heard about the ergo light but there is a boba air. Folds up into a carry bag and has less fabric.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:19 PM   #8
angelmom27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3girlsfun
I wore my YDD when she was 8 months old in an Ergo. I did so on all the rides, and when she was sleeping. (We had a double stroller, but, my other two DD's rode in it. I will be take a 7 or 8 week old baby in March....I'm planning to wear her in the Ergo for a lot of the trip! It is great!

Just be careful that they don't over heat. They get super warm, and I sweated my butt off!
Be careful ergo and other ssc or mts are not recommended for infants that young.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:21 PM   #9
Wills Mom
DIS Veteran

I have a Boba, started with a RS but he wasn't crazy about it so got the Boba about 6 weeks ago and I love it. I'm debating getting another kinda but I'm not sure what one to get! I think he would like one where he could face forward a bit - any suggestions?
I plan on wearing him for a good chunk of our trip in May - although I am worried about him over heating! We live in wet, cold Ireland so over heating isnt an issue here. Does anyone have any tips on how to avoid over heating? DH says he will take turns with me but hes a very warm person so he would probably overheat faster than me or DS!!

Wills First Adventure TR May 2013

Wills Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:23 PM   #10
3girlsfun
working to pay for vacation

There is an infant insert. This positions the head appropriately. Thanks for looking out!

Me DH DD 8 yrs. DD 4 yrs., DD 3 yrs., and baby princess

First Family Trip October 2010! POP!,Princess 1/2 Marathon, February 2011, ASMO,Disneyland 1/2 Marathon, September, 2011 HoJo! Pre-Cruise stay, June, 2011, OKW, 1st stay as DVC owners! Marathon relay, January, 2012, AKL Princess 1/2 Marathon, February, 2012, ASMU, Spring Break, April, 2012, AKL, 10 days, June, 2012, SSR, TOT 10miler, September, 2012, BWV, Spring Break! OKW/Ft. Wilderness cabins, March, 2013, Dumbo Double Dare, DLH, September, 2013, 1st Thanksgiving trip, CBR, Nov., 2013
3girlsfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:27 PM   #11
mccathy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelmom27 View Post

I have a bali stretch Orca, ergo, natibaby sea, and an ecosash (MT). I want a boba cause of the height on the back. And of course there are lots of woven wraps I have fallen in love with. I haven't heard about the ergo light but there is a boba air. Folds up into a carry bag and has less fabric.
Boba Air - that must have been what I saw. Too much looking around on the internet at carriers and not enough sleep! Oops!

Old 01-10-2013, 05:28 PM   #12
Baliezer
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelmom27 View Post
Be careful ergo and other ssc or mts are not recommended for infants that young.
I used my Ergo with dd when she was a newborn. I even used the newborn insert that they sell on their website. Where does it say not to use it for newborns?
Old 01-10-2013, 05:29 PM   #13
AshleeH
DIS Veteran

I'll be taking our new baby to Disneyland this summer (she'll be 2 months old) and I'm planning on getting the Maya Wrap. I looked at Moby, but I think I would feel mummified in that one .

1985 - Disneyland; 1990 & 1994 - WDW; 1997 - Disneyland Paris; 2003 - WDW; Oct. 2010 - WDW (Animal Kingdom: Kidani Village); Oct. 2011 - WDW (Contemporary/Wilderness Lodge); Oct. 2012 - WDW (Bay Lake); July 2013 - Disneyland (Grand Californian); Oct. 2014 - WDW (Bay Lake)
AshleeH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:31 PM   #14
angelmom27
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baliezer

I used my Ergo with dd when she was a newborn. I even used the newborn insert that they sell on their website. Where does it say not to use it for newborns?
The company in itself does not say not to use it. International babywearers suggest not to cause of the way it fits on a babies back. I will get the links to some info about it. Even with the insert. It has to do with the way a babies back is curved and the air way. Cause babies that young don't have good head control and can block their airways.
Old 01-10-2013, 05:51 PM   #15
RachaelA
DIS Veteran

When we were at Disney in October, DD was 11 1/2 months. She had been walking since 9 months so I knew I was going to want to pop her in and out of whatever we used. I pretty much exclusively used my wrap conversion ring sling (made from a Girasol woven wrap). It was perfect. Easy to take her in and out and light weight enough that I rarely got hot. I took her out of it for every ride if she was younger, I probably would have kept her in the sling.

We brought our Ergo Sport for my husband to use, but I found myself just always grabbing the ring sling in the morning.

Aug 2005 1st Trip Offsite-Jan 2008 Pop-June 2009 AKL CL *Disneymoon!*-May 2010 AKL CL *1st Anniversary*-Dec 2010 Pop - October 2012- First birthday trip and first trip home to BLT! - May 2013- AKV- October 2014- BLT *1st and 3rd birthday trip!* UPCOMING: December 2015- BLT
RachaelA is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: