Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 10:14 AM   #1
hookedonears
Louisianan

With the new RFID system, the days of Commando touring could be cramped.

I'm not talking about wearing no underwear here, and this is all speculation, because we dont know how this is actually going to work, but assuming that paper FPs are going away, and assuming that the new RFID system will be used for some sort of regular FP system (NOT FP+), the days of one person in the group running ahead and getting FP's for the entire group could be over. Theres been talk about some sort of wrist band being used, and not knowing what type, it could be one of those elastic bands that doesn't come off unless its cut off. Also, since the new RFID system is supposed to not only be used for park entrance and for FP's, it will also be used as your room key and to buy merchandise and food. Even if you can take it off easily, will everyone in a group want to give them to someone who might lose one or more running across the park? Of course, this is all complete speculation and what if's.
hookedonears is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:26 AM   #2
angelmichelle
Mouseketeer

A good bit of people would be turned off at the idea of irremovable bracelets - especially children if they happen to lose them...

I think bracelets are a bad idea..

angelmichelle is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2013, 10:30 AM   #3
Laketravis
FP is just fantastic, that is really what I think. Oh by the way.. which one's Pink?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedonears View Post
..... Even if you can take it off easily, will everyone in a group want to give them to someone who might lose one or more running across the park? Of course, this is all complete speculation and what if's.
Running across the park to what? A virtual FP dispenser?
Laketravis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 10:39 AM   #4
afnaechiquita
DIS Veteran

I thought the leaked plans for the bracelets showed them as the rubbery flexible kind, so they could be easily taken off.

That being said, if one person does have to take them all to a FP counter, it's no different than taking the KTTW cards if your park tickets are attached to them, right? At least, when considering using your card/wristband to pay for meals.
WDW (off-site) '90 - Caribbean Beach '07 - French Quarter '08 - Riverside '11 - Riverside '12 - Tokyo DisneySea '12 (one-post quick TR here!) - DLR (off-site) '13 - Grand Californian '14 (presidential suite tour here!) - Yacht Club '14
Princess Half Marathoner '11 - '12 - GSC '14 for runGKTW! - training for DLH '14 for SOSC!

afnaechiquita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 11:56 AM   #5
bbangel
My friends call me the font of useless knowledge

Count me among one of those that will refuse to wear anything that resembles a bracelet. They better have another option for those that have issues.
bbangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:08 PM   #6
JaimeA
Mouseketeer

On the Disney website it says once you switch to RFID you can no longer use regulars fast pass. I wish Disney would announce Fp plus already and give us the must needed answers to all these questions. Trying to piece all the released info with rumors is really getting scary.

Sent from my iPad using DISBoards

JaimeA is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:29 PM   #7
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

The other part of the system is the idea of one person being able to reserve FP+ reservations for others in their group. If you log into the new Disney Web site, you'll be asked for names of others in your party for resort reservations and ADRs. The FP+ system should work the same, meaning the lead person in a group should be able to go to the kiosk, swipe their bracelet/KTTW card and be able to change attractions or times for their whole group.

But yes, commando touring as we know it (grabbing as many FPs as humanly possible for the headliner rides) is definitely on its last legs.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/2011 -- CR, 3/2012 -- Windsor Hills, 10/2012 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/2013 -- BWV, 5/2013 -- BLT, 10/2013 -- YC CL, 5/2014 -- BWV, 08/2014 -- VGF/BLT, 12/2014 -- BWV, 4/2015 -- BLT

Missyrose is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 12:39 PM   #8
nkereina
Wendy Darling

I don't understand why anyone would have an issue with the bracelet. All inclusive resort chains such as Sandals, Breezes, Riu, etc. have been using bracelets for years. They clip it on you when you arrive and it usually doesn't come off until you get home and get the scissors out. It helps to distinguish resort guests from those who aren't.

I would think in Disney's case, bracelets that require scissors to cut off would cause less problems than everyone using a card or some kind of removable bracelet. Between kids and irresponsible adults, they would have panicked people in line all day everyday who lost theirs. And angry people trying to blame Disney because they lost theirs and missed one of their "appointments". Other than the aforementioned, what other options might there be?
nkereina is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 01:04 PM   #9
LaurieN
DIS Veteran

I have a child with sensory issues, he could never keep a bracelet on the entire length if our trip!! We have a hard time keeping the wrist band on him during MVMCP, he picks at it from the second they place it on his wrist, and it's off before we are out of the park at the end if the night. There had to be an alternative to the bracelet for kids & adults like him!!
Laurie
Old 01-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #10
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

I won't wear a bracelet for a long vacation. A day or two would be fine but the idea of keeping one on for a week or more creeps me out. I bet that they are removable.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:31 PM   #11
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

Stop assuming....

Please folks. Stop assuming the worst. Really.

I've never seen a "wrist band" that actually had to be worn on a wrist and never taken off.
Old 01-05-2013, 01:41 PM   #12
Planogirl
I feel the nerd in me stirring already
Oh well, let's look on the bright side
If I hadn't been so wiped out I would have kissed my anesthesiologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKW Lover View Post
Please folks. Stop assuming the worst. Really.

I've never seen a "wrist band" that actually had to be worn on a wrist and never taken off.
Some of the local Halloween themeparks have them but of course they are only meant for one evening. We always eagerly cut them off at the end of the night!
Old 01-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #13
Yubbie
Devourer of Mickey's Premium Ice Cream Bars

It probably won't be a bracelet at all. I overheard a Disney bus driver say something about RFID Underwear and that it would be un-removeable while on Disney property. The good news is that we won't have to bring extra underwear and we save some room in our suitcases!
Yubbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:23 PM   #14
bcrook
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookedonears View Post
I'm not talking about wearing no underwear here, and this is all speculation, because we dont know how this is actually going to work, but assuming that paper FPs are going away, and assuming that the new RFID system will be used for some sort of regular FP system (NOT FP+), the days of one person in the group running ahead and getting FP's for the entire group could be over. Theres been talk about some sort of wrist band being used, and not knowing what type, it could be one of those elastic bands that doesn't come off unless its cut off. Also, since the new RFID system is supposed to not only be used for park entrance and for FP's, it will also be used as your room key and to buy merchandise and food. Even if you can take it off easily, will everyone in a group want to give them to someone who might lose one or more running across the park? Of course, this is all complete speculation and what if's.
IF there is a non-FP+ FP available with RFID, I can't imagine running to individual rides for it. Why not just book the next available on the app? There wouldn't be any running to anywhere except maybe centrally located kiosks for those without phones.

I guess the bracelet could determine your location and then only allow FP for the park you are in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laketravis View Post
Running across the park to what? A virtual FP dispenser?
I agree, it will be through the webpage, the app or kiosk.
  • WDW Estimated Ride Capacities
bcrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:43 PM   #15
Jennasis
It's a miracle! I stayed awake during the El Rio Del Tiempo ride!
Let's not even TOUCH the whole Dog vs. dawg vs. Dowg thing!
PLINKO baby!

A bracelet is no more or less likely to be "lost" than a regular ticket if you had to give them to someone or in any other capacity.

Even if they do go to bracelets, there is no law that says you have to wear it ON your wrist. Stick in your pocket...put it in your purse/bag...hang it in the end of your lanyard. Whatever. And even if it is one of those tyvek type the CM's snap on you during the party, you can always just ask to hold onto it and not wear it due to whatever issue you have with wearing a bracelet.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: