DVC RESALES
DVC RESALES

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Vacation Club > Purchasing DVC
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 09:37 AM   #16
Missyrose
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunseeker1
I am going to lay my head in the block and bring up the most hated word on this board.

DIRECT.

If you are looking at a small contract which goes for a premium especially at OKW you should run the numbers for direct. Most OKW are 2042 contracts and the 2057 contracts go for a premium.
The closing fees are usually pretty standard no matter how many points you are getting. $350 in closing on 350 points isnt too bad but on 50 points it is $7 a point.
2057 contracts are in the high 60 low 70 dollar range according to the ROFR thread and the closing will take it up to high 70 low 80 range.

Direct is $100 for 2057 with cheaper closing costs. It might only be a few hundred to a thousand dollars more to buy 50 points direct.

Or you could get a cheaper resort with a larger contract.

Oh and you can buy up to 24 single use points if you are short on points for a trip from disney.
OP said upfront that buying direct is "more than I'm willing to invest at this point." OP originally wanted WL, so let's use that as a comparison. Direct is charging $115 per point for WL, so with closing those 50 points would cost $5850 (accounting for about $100, but this doesn't include the prorated MFs they'd be paying on the points they're getting).

They could probably get a resale contract at WL for $70 per point. Add in closing and MF (one or both of which could be negotiated down or out) and you're looking at a purchase price of $4000.

For someone who only wants to buy a 50 point contract because that's all they can afford while still getting their feet wet, an almost $2000 difference is fairly significant.
'86, '90, '94, '98, '09, '10 -- Off site, 10/11 -- CR, 3/12 -- Windsor Hills, 10/12 -- BCV/AKV-Jambo, 01/13 -- BWV, 5/13 -- BLT, 10/13 -- YC CL, 5/14 -- BWV, 08/14 -- VGF/BLT, 12/14 -- BWV, 4/15 -- BLT, 10/15 -- BWV

Missyrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:58 AM   #17
sissy1
Mouseketeer

Since small contracts are few and far between, we actually called to Resale company and told them what we were looking for. Within no time, they called us back with a contract. Also something to consider, the maintenance fees differ from resort to resort. I think BLT has the cheapest maintenance fees and its walking distance to the Magic Kingdom Don't forget about the perks of being a DVC owner. Tables in Wonderland card that saves 20% on all food and drinks including alchohol at many restaurants, cheaper rates on your annual passes...etc

Last edited by sissy1; 01-12-2013 at 10:11 AM.
sissy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-12-2013, 10:13 AM   #18
paults
HOME IS WHERE BWV IS

BUY WHERE YOU WANT TO STAY . AND do it resale.
Old 01-12-2013, 10:24 AM   #19
radmcg
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sissy1 View Post
Since small contracts are few and far between, we actually called to Resale company and told them what we were looking for. Within no time, they called us back with a contract. Also something to consider, the maintenance fees differ from resort to resort. I think BLT has the cheapest maintenance fees and its walking distance to the Magic Kingdom Don't forget about the perks of being a DVC owner. Tables in Wonderland card that saves 20% on all food and drinks including alchohol at many restaurants, cheaper rates on your annual passes...etc
Boy Sissy your money must be better than mine. I have been looking for 100 points at BW for almost a year and every time I call its sold. Much less get anyone to call me with a contract. To the OP my 2 biggest regrets not buying sooner and not buying more. I have stayed at the BW for years and finally bought. My first trip 8 of my extended family members went with us. My partner at work got interested and has now rented points from Daves for this year and is looking for a contract to buy. It definitely aint for everyone but if it is a fit for you and your family its amazing how many other seem to want to get involved. I thought Disney was fun with my wife and daughter: It was a blast with 11 family members there in the same resort. Just an intangible perk I stumbled upon. Of course if your going to get away from the extended family might not want to tell them you bought in.
radmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:00 PM   #20
miprender
Michelle Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tunseeker1 View Post
I am going to lay my head in the block and bring up the most hated word on this board.

DIRECT.

If you are looking at a small contract which goes for a premium especially at OKW you should run the numbers for direct. Most OKW are 2042 contracts and the 2057 contracts go for a premium.
The closing fees are usually pretty standard no matter how many points you are getting. $350 in closing on 350 points isnt too bad but on 50 points it is $7 a point.
2057 contracts are in the high 60 low 70 dollar range according to the ROFR thread and the closing will take it up to high 70 low 80 range.

Direct is $100 for 2057 with cheaper closing costs. It might only be a few hundred to a thousand dollars more to buy 50 points direct.

Or you could get a cheaper resort with a larger contract.

Oh and you can buy up to 24 single use points if you are short on points for a trip from disney.
I thought the smallest you can buy is 100 points if you are not a DVC member yet?
Old 01-12-2013, 12:49 PM   #21
sissy1
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by miprender View Post
I thought the smallest you can buy is 100 points if you are not a DVC member yet?
Last year we purchase a 75 point contract at Boardwalk, our second contract. Called resale office and told them what we wanted and voila, we got it with weeks of our call. Our first contract was 200 points (resale) at BLT. Also called resale office and they found that contract for us. I know it was quick, but we were willing to wait for the best fit for us!
sissy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 02:09 PM   #22
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
It seems as if this is a moving target, as last year we had several confirmations that new members were allowed to purchase 50 point contracts. Now it seems that the minimum for new members is 100 or 160 depending on the resort. However, I am not sure if these minimums are simply advertised and not enforced. Over the years there has been a lot of inconsistency between what different salespeople will do, so I'm wondering if you threatened to walk, would your salesperson make a 50 or 75 point contract happen for you as a new buyer.

I find a great source of information for prices and minimum purchase prices can be found here:

http://www.dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc...g-a-promotions
Old 01-12-2013, 02:30 PM   #23
quinnc19
DIS Veteran

I thought it was important to mention that you may only transfer points one time (in or out) per UY. Also, the 24 points may only be purchased from MS within the 7 month window. Good luck with your decision!
Old 01-12-2013, 04:35 PM   #24
miprender
Michelle Boo Boo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELMC View Post
It seems as if this is a moving target, as last year we had several confirmations that new members were allowed to purchase 50 point contracts. Now it seems that the minimum for new members is 100 or 160 depending on the resort. However, I am not sure if these minimums are simply advertised and not enforced. Over the years there has been a lot of inconsistency between what different salespeople will do, so I'm wondering if you threatened to walk, would your salesperson make a 50 or 75 point contract happen for you as a new buyer.

I find a great source of information for prices and minimum purchase prices can be found here:

http://www.dvcnews.com/index.php/dvc...g-a-promotions
I remember when we were first looking to buy it was 160 pts and I thought we were special when they let us buy only 100 But this was way back in 2010.
Old 01-12-2013, 04:42 PM   #25
ELMC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I remember when we were first looking to buy it was 160 pts and I thought we were special when they let us buy only 100 But this was way back in 2010.
Well you still may be special. But more likely than not DVD didn't want to let a sale walk out the door.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: