Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 11:47 AM   #1
klitteral2009
Mouseketeer

EPCOT worries....

Leaving for the World on FRIDAY!!!! Going to spend some time in Epcot on Sunday as it will be our first full park day. I'm concerned that there isn't much for my little ones to be busy with...am I wrong? I'll be touring with DH, and DD's 10,3, and thisclose to 2. I know about Nemo and we'll be hitting World Showcase to find some character M&G's but what else can occupy their time? Could we conceivably spend a day here until our Akershus ressie at 5?
Old 01-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
ThreeKMom
DIS Veteran

Don't worry - there's tons of stuff for kids in EPCOT, it's my DD9's favorite park!
There are some really fun interactive games for the kid in the imagination pavilion, after you leave the figment ride. My dd could spend at least an hour there.
Also the aquarium, Nemo, Turtle Talk - is good for another hour.

In WS you can do the kidcot stops and depending on your patience it can take up a lage block of time LOL! There is the Perry adventure thing also (we haven't taken the time to do this yet - maybe on our upcoming trip!). The boat ride in Mexico is very kid friendly, the one in Norway can be scary for some little kids, but it was our DD's first ride ever in Disney at age 6 and she LOVED it!

Love & Pixie Dust
ThreeKMom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #3
disnut8
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by klitteral2009 View Post
Leaving for the World on FRIDAY!!!! Going to spend some time in Epcot on Sunday as it will be our first full park day. I'm concerned that there isn't much for my little ones to be busy with...am I wrong? I'll be touring with DH, and DD's 10,3, and thisclose to 2. I know about Nemo and we'll be hitting World Showcase to find some character M&G's but what else can occupy their time? Could we conceivably spend a day here until our Akershus ressie at 5?
Well, in Future World you have Living with the Land attraction. Also Spaceship Earth and Ellen's Energy Adventure. And Innoventions. And the entire Imagination pavilion.

In World Showcase, you can do all the movies (France, Canada, China) plus American Adventure. Plus the Mexico boat ride with Donald and friends. No height restriction for Maelstrom either. And there are Kidcot stations for the little ones to start their masks and have them stamped at the stations. Don't forget about the Agent P Experience - you can do that one several times.

And check out http://wdwent.com/ for live entertainment.

Yeah, I think you can find tons of things to do at Epcot before a 5:00 dinner seating.
disnut8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:55 AM   #4
SplashMo
DIS Veteran

Kids love epcot. Do tey still have the passport thing? If so our kids loved doing the passports when thye were younger.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:03 PM   #5
housetomouse
DIS Veteran

The jumping fountains are fun too.
housetomouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:09 PM   #6
mousermerf
DIS Veteran

At age 8 I had to be dragged from Epcot kicking and screaming. Literally.

Don't assume the kids will be bored by something you may not find terribly interesting. My father, to this day, thinks Epcot is boring. I never did, my siblings never did, and there are plenty of adults who saw it as kids who didn't either.
mousermerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:14 PM   #7
Kaylasmomma
Mouseketeer

There are TONS for little kids to do there.

Epcot is actually my families favorite park.
I think my hubby likes it best for beer at every country

I like that there is the private M&G for Disney rewards members ONLY there It used to be at Innovations West.. i need to see where that is now LOL
so if you have that card ..DO THAT its one on ONE!!!!

and dont forget to stay for the show that night
Kaylasmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:15 PM   #8
PoppyGirl
The kiddies come for the autographs but the mummies come for the captain!

In each country there is a kidcot stop where they can meet ambassadors (CM's) from that country, have a passport stamped or color Duffy the bear. There are some fun shows that you can catch--check your times guide for the Ziti sisters, Serveur Amuseant, and World Showcase players (my kids LOVED that one). Turtle Talk with Crush is really fun for the younger ones. There's a boat ride in Norway--scared my 9 year old son but my DD was fine with it--There's also the acrobats in China and the drummer in Japan as well as the candy making lady in Japan. I guess it depends on what really interests your kids.
(POR) Jan 2007 (HoJo) June 2007 (CSR) Girlfriends Trip Jan 2008 (POP)/Wonder Cruise Mar 2009 (CSR) Mom/DS Trip June 2009 (DLH) Girlfriends' B-day Celebration Feb 2010 (DLH) DH B-day Celebration July 2010 (AKL) Christmas Miracle Trip December 2010 (Wyndham Bonnet Creek) Girls Only Mother Daughter February 2011 (POFQ) Mother Daughter February 2012 (AKL) Mother Daughter February 2013 (Grand Californian) Girls Days Out May 2013 (Yacht Club) Best Friends at Food & Wine October 2013 (Wilderness Lodge) Marvin & Abigail Mother Daughter January 2014

PoppyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:16 PM   #9
geenerbell
Am I caught up with Robo yet?

The Land, Soarin', The Seas with Nemo, The aquarium (don't forget to go up top), Fountains, Playground by Canada, Character Spot, Music at World Showcase, East and West.
geenerbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 12:19 PM   #10
mousermerf
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by klitteral2009 View Post
And to answer more specific questions.. how tall is the 10 year old?

Because Soarin and Test Track are worth doing for the older kid and adults. The Circle of Life film can fill time while you swap seeing Soarin between parents - same building - and everyone can ride Living with the Land (it's cheesy but I like it).

Nemo ride, and then Turtle Talk, and some time exploring Sea Base (make sure you go to the second floor and see the full observation deck and the manatee area).

Everyone can ride Energy - but it's dark/loud and 45mins long. It's really not scary, but some kids don't like the dinosaurs. At the same time, some kids love the dinosaurs.

M:S i'd say skip it.

Spaceship Earth of course. You're a horrible person if you skip it. You just are.

Then there's the two sides of Innoventions - you may or may not be able to do Sum of All Thrills based on height, but you can certainly visit the interactive areas, the new IBM exhibit that just opened in West, and of course there's Character Spot in southwest and Great Piggy Bank and Where's the Fire? in northwest.

You can go see Figment in Imagination. It's umm.. mediocre and not as good as the original but by golly it's an option.

Get a passport for the older kids and set off to World Showcase. Ride the Mexico ride. The Norway ride has a drop, so keep that in mind.

See the films - why not? They're there and you're there and they're not actually bad. Canada, China, France.

You have to see American Adventure. Otherwise you're an awful person. They'll take your parenting license.

There are museums in Mexico, Norway (Stave Church), Morocco, America, and Japan. Again, you're an awful person if you skip them.

But really World showcase is more than character meets and food. There's lots of little nooks and crannies to explore. Don't be afraid to go into the pavilions and not just skirt them on the front. Try new food from a kiosk - buy some ridiculous treats for the kids in Japan (Who doesn't want rice candy? You're allowed to skip the dehydrated minnows.)

Epcot isn't like "WHOOOO!!! Thrill rides! Adrenaline!! WHOO!!!!" it's more subtle and like a classy version of a local science center. There's culture to be had. If you're open to it your kids will be open to it.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:20 PM   #11
mousermerf
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaylasmomma View Post
There are TONS for little kids to do there.

Epcot is actually my families favorite park.
I think my hubby likes it best for beer at every country

I like that there is the private M&G for Disney rewards members ONLY there It used to be at Innovations West.. i need to see where that is now LOL
so if you have that card ..DO THAT its one on ONE!!!!

and dont forget to stay for the show that night
The photo from that one is also free. You just need to show the Disney Visa Reward or Debit card. You pick up the photo from under Spaceship Earth at the Camera Center.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #12
sammons70
Mouseketeer

I think the aquarium is underrated. It was one of the nicest I had ever seen. My wife and I dropped an hour easily just looking at the sea life there before we even realized it. If your children are fascinated by fish/ sea life, this can take hours of leisurely watching all of the different creatures in the tank.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:23 PM   #13
mousermerf
DIS Veteran

Also - Limited Time Magic will have "Winter Wonderland" in the Canada pavilion with character meet/greets and snow falling. Be sure to do that. That is if you mean "Sunday" as in the 20th.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:24 PM   #14
mousermerf
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammons70 View Post
I think the aquarium is underrated. It was one of the nicest I had ever seen. My wife and I dropped an hour easily just looking at the sea life there before we even realized it. If your children are fascinated by fish/ sea life, this can take hours of leisurely watching all of the different creatures in the tank.
A lot of people get off the ride and don't go upstairs. Going upstairs is important - otherwise you see only 4 of nearly 45 panoramic windows.
Old 01-12-2013, 12:32 PM   #15
Kaylasmomma
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousermerf View Post
The photo from that one is also free. You just need to show the Disney Visa Reward or Debit card. You pick up the photo from under Spaceship Earth at the Camera Center.

Oh yes i did know that thanks
Kaylasmomma is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: