Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #16
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mesaboy2 View Post
If pointing out that ride stoppages are not automatically the result of a "broken ride" but often due to guest stupidity--also on the rise--then I wear the Disney-apologist badge proudly.
Do they give you a pin at check in?! :P
Old 01-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #17
mesaboy2
Using a certain word brings out a special kind of cray-cray

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
Yes, it's part of the compensation package.
Mesaboy's DLR Trip Report -- The Quest To See Dumbo Fly

FastPass+ Basic Information, Attraction List, and Suggested Priorities
MyMagic & FastPass+ Official Information & FAQ (courtesy andyman8)
Magic Bands 101 (courtesy MouseMomx2)
mesaboy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2013, 11:15 AM   #18
debbie1996
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajz90 View Post
If you visited between Cmas and NY, I think the amount of people and use could have been the issue. We are WDW people and understand that sometimes rides will go down, but this last visit, everything seemed down, but the crowds were huge. I'm glad we went during that particular period and it wasn't as bad as some people say, but it's not a time period I ever wish to visit again. :0

Of course, we noticed rides going down more than usual at Universal too.

Standing in a long line especially with people coughing and sneezing down your neck and having a ride go down and double the wait IS NOT FUN!!
We actually TRIED to beat the rush - we didn't arrive until the 4th - but crowds were still high through the weekend. It wasn't too bad though in general. With the exception of not being able to ride Toy Story Mania a second time - we were still over at Jedi Training and by the time we got back over at 10 they were completely out of FP and the wait time even at park close was over 2 hours! Luckily we'd ran there at opening so had a chance to ride it once (in all honesty I think my kids enjoyed Buzz Lightyear more than Toy Story, but that might be because my son has issues with 3D glasses). It definitely wasn't worth a 160 minute wait which is what it peaked at on Saturday.
debbie1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:17 AM   #19
tajz90
Mama D

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie1996

We actually TRIED to beat the rush - we didn't arrive until the 4th - but crowds were still high through the weekend. It wasn't too bad though in general. With the exception of not being able to ride Toy Story Mania a second time - we were still over at Jedi Training and by the time we got back over at 10 they were completely out of FP and the wait time even at park close was over 2 hours! Luckily we'd ran there at opening so had a chance to ride it once (in all honesty I think my kids enjoyed Buzz Lightyear more than Toy Story, but that might be because my son has issues with 3D glasses). It definitely wasn't worth a 160 minute wait which is what it peaked at on Saturday.
We left on the fourth. We had been hoping that the crowds would thin after NYE, but they didn't really. A little maybe, but not so much that there was a huge difference.
tajz90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:23 AM   #20
GeorgiaHoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
How do you know the rides were "broken"?

You will find your opinion on BOG to be in the minority. Most reviews, here and elsewhere, are overwhelmingly positive. I'm honestly sorry your experience was bad.
The reviews I've read for Be Our Guest haven't been "overwhelmingly positive." There's an active thread right now that seems about split between folks who thought it was really good to those who were sorely disappointed.
GeorgiaHoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:29 AM   #21
debbie1996
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by TIMtationX View Post
Thank you! I finally found someone who thought the BOG food was less than stellar. I can't speak for dinner food, but the lunch my wife and I had was bad.
I'd love to know what they ordered. My daughter was really excited about the meatloaf it's one of her favorite things - but I noticed her picking at it and was going to put my mean mom voice on and tell her to just eat it when I leaned over and took a bite. I'm sorry but it's just straight up BAD!!! And we are not pizza and chicken nugget people - so were particularly annoyed as it was one of the few restaurants where she had a choice other than the typical kid food. She ended up eating the bread off my sandwich and I chewed on the "steak".

I'm guessing people either ordered something else or perhaps are letting the experience and dessert cloud their memory - the chocolate cupcake was quite tasty - we very much regretted our choice to share dessert. Unfortunately you can't change your mind and add or modify your meal once you've ordered. We left the restaurant starving.
debbie1996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:46 AM   #22
kmarie99
Mouseketeer

I completely agree with you that I am seeing more trash around and the tables are not as clean, but we also have to admit that as a society we have also become less accountable. Especially with things like clearing off the tables, when I was young my parents made sure I picked up my mess when I was finished at the table (at home or in public) and that is something I see less and less of. We live in a very... ‘that is not my job’ era and it makes me sad.
I am not excusing Disney for cutting back on staff and leaving things messier now but I think that it is not just Disney fault.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:33 PM   #23
dumbolove
Mouseketeer

I just got back yesterday and thought the same thing about BOG and the cleanliness of the park. I was a CP last year and know that they are in transition the next few weeks in January which could make a difference on what we saw at the park. I knew a lot of older CM couldn't wait for us to be trained because they were tired of the long hours (noted that on my trip the amount of older people working who were miserable). The bathrooms in which Disney always kept neat were disgusting! I was so looking forward to BOG but the food was terrible! The chocolate cream puff was delicious! I overheard the couple next to us comment about the food and I started a conversation with them. They both work at the hotels in Disney and said never again would they eat there! If you are a big beauty and the beast fan it is worth going to see, but don't except much from the dinner. The photopass person who was with the beast was also horrible. Another older person who was just miserable. CM were hit and miss this trip. Had some really good photopass and waiters, but also had some bad ones. We were lucky enough to not to see many ride difficulties. I got very sick our last day there. Make sure you wash your hands and use antibacterial! People are very rude! I had so many people just cough on me without covering there mouths. Disney needs to set up antibacterial stations epically with all the interactive stuff now.
dumbolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:36 PM   #24
kris4360
DIS Veteran

I like the antibacterial station idea!
kris4360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:45 PM   #25
princesscate
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarie99
I completely agree with you that I am seeing more trash around and the tables are not as clean, but we also have to admit that as a society we have also become less accountable. Especially with things like clearing off the tables, when I was young my parents made sure I picked up my mess when I was finished at the table (at home or in public) and that is something I see less and less of. We live in a very... that is not my job era and it makes me sad.
I am not excusing Disney for cutting back on staff and leaving things messier now but I think that it is not just Disney fault.
We noticed this too in August! We couldn't believe the people leaving the CS trays filled with garbage at their tables. The CMs came right away and cleaned them up though. I do think that the parks seemed "dirtier" in our last visit than in the past. Also less knowledgeable and grumpier CMs were prevalent.
Old 01-10-2013, 07:23 PM   #26
glammadiva
DIS Veteran

We were there the 2nd thru the 6th and our experience was completely different. No breakdowns and no overflowing trash cans. My only complaint is they were very slow in replenishing the food on the buffets.
glammadiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:42 PM   #27
FortForever
Disney since Day 1

We are here now and have been here for a week. I guess we've been lucky because we haven't run across any broken rides. A few have stopped for a couple of minutes, I assume to load a disabled rider, but that's all.

On Monday evening Buzz Lightyear was shut down for awhile because a guest jumped out during the ride. The first CM would only say they were having "issues." The second CM we spoke to told us what was really going on. He also said that when that happens, they have to evacuate the ride and do a complete walk through before they can clear it to reopen.

I love Disney, but am absolutely NOT a Disney apologist. I have my own list of gripes. I just have not had the same experience as the OP this particular week. I have also not seen any trash or overflowing cans.
FortForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #28
kmb584
DIS Veteran

Quote:
If pointing out that ride stoppages are not automatically the result of a "broken ride" but often due to guest stupidity--also on the rise--then I wear the Disney-apologist badge proudly.

Most attraction interruptions are due to either a) loading someone disabled or b) someone being stupid while riding. While definitely an inconvenience those instances are not to be considered "breakdowns".

Me (30) DD (5)
"It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney
kmb584 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:10 PM   #29
mejo
Mouseketeer

I'm with everybody here, I'm sure most or not all the stoppages were either letting on disabled people or riders not following the rules.

Also we ate at BOG and loved it so much we went back twice more.

mejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:12 PM   #30
larryz
Looking for the perfect vacation

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
Quote:
Yes, it's part of the com-pin-sation package.
Fixed it for you...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: