Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 01:39 PM   #16
SmallWorld71
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruBlu View Post
We've also done this with RNRC. DS11 (now) is the only one who likes to ride. Since he's been tall enough I've waited with him in the single rider line until he got on, then I've taken the "chicken exit" and waited for him at the end.

Works great for us.

Sent from Tracey's iPhone using DISBoards
I did something similar with DS13 when he was 9 years old. Worked great! It was just him, DD5, my mom and myself and mom and I are unable to ride. He had already ridder RNRC the year before with DH and his older brother and knew that he loved the ride.

SmallWorld71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 01:42 PM   #17
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

A 4.5 year old won't be allowed to ride without a parent. Kids have to be at least 7 to ride "alone" so I can't see them letting kids younger than that do single rider since they could be in an entirely different ride vehicle from the parent or guardian.
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2013, 01:59 PM   #18
kt_mom
DIS Veteran

We did this for RnRC on our last trip. This way DD got to ride several times and we didn't have to wait standby. I went and waited at the exit and DH and DD rode in the single rider line. Then DH and I switched and he waited with DS while DD and I went through the single rider line again. She had no problem sitting with a stranger, she just wanted to get to ride the ride a few times.

Then a few days later DD rode SM by herself twice. The posted wait was only 10 minutes and she really wanted to ride. DH had stayed in the room and I had DS so I couldn't go through the line with her. I was really proud of her though because she is normally quite shy and I wouldn't think she would do this alone, but she did and then she wanted to go again.

ETA: DD is 9 and will be 10 in March. I would have let her do this last year but I doubt she would have wanted to.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:04 PM   #19
DebbieB
DVC Member BWV 99
You have to compare apples to apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by married2mm View Post
there's always someone.
just wondering though,did she share with cms the ages of her kids?
Yes, he asked. The little one was obviously not 7.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #20
delmar411
DIS Veteran

The only place we've had an issue with the SR line and ages is EE. Even though YDD was over 7, she had to hit some arbitrary height mark on the wall for the CM to let her through. I think that was just the CM being a jerk though as YDD was well over the height requirements for the ride and over 7 and had ridden EE many many times before (it was over a 5ft height mark that my teen barely hit). She almost always rides with a stranger on EE since only 3 of my kids will ride over and over.

But you do need to be prepared to be split up. Esp at TT, they seem to be making an effort to split groups up.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. ~Voltaire
delmar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:08 PM   #21
nfceagles
Mouseketeer

Thanks for all the replies. I would not have tried sending my 4.5 yr old, but I also have a 7.5 yr old and part of me was wondering if that would be ok for him, assuming DD wasn't riding and could wait with someone. I didn't know there was an official age of 7. Good to know. Thanks!
nfceagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:38 PM   #22
HallGirl
DIS Veteran

There are a couple of things you should keep in mind: is the child comfortable riding with strangers? Would they (and you) be ok if the ride breaks down while they are on it? They should be able to respond to directions that a CM may give them if the ride has to be evacuated. While it's kind of a worst case scenario, it's still a good situation to think about and something you can discuss with your child if they want to ride alone.
Old 01-10-2013, 09:45 PM   #23
SA mom
DIS Veteran

We started letting our twins ride single rider at age 11. The had ridden each ride before. One parent goes first, then the two girls, then the other parent.
SA mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:29 AM   #24
Mike7468
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmar411 View Post

But you do need to be prepared to be split up. Esp at TT, they seem to be making an effort to split groups up.
And if your trying to take advantage of the single rider line Groups should be split up.
Mike7468 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:46 AM   #25
TDC Nala
Diet Coke on Ice or Else

DISboards Moderator

The entire point of the single riders line is that you should not expect to be able to ride with your group. If it works out that you're in the same car with someone in your group on Test Track, cool. If not, that's how it works. Groups shoudn't ever expect to stay together if they choose single rider. Im not sure how they could make an effort to split groups up when, in the single riders line, there are no groups.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:55 AM   #26
delmar411
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
The entire point of the single riders line is that you should not expect to be able to ride with your group. If it works out that you're in the same car with someone in your group on Test Track, cool. If not, that's how it works. Groups shoudn't ever expect to stay together if they choose single rider. Im not sure how they could make an effort to split groups up when, in the single riders line, there are no groups.
What I meant is they will send ppl who are together to different cars or different lines in the car. Which is annoying for families like mine who want to ride together. We want 3 in the first row and 1 in the back (when we are a party of 4), not 2 and 2 and then single riders in the 3rd spot. It's rude to assign us like that when we've waited in line to ride together.

So every single time I moved the single riders to sit together which meant they weren't split up. Annoyed the CMs but it's better than when I asked to not have any strangers in the car for picture taking purposes. LOL (and they did comply to the no single rider request)
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it. ~Voltaire
delmar411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:49 PM   #27
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by HallGirl View Post
There are a couple of things you should keep in mind: is the child comfortable riding with strangers? Would they (and you) be ok if the ride breaks down while they are on it? They should be able to respond to directions that a CM may give them if the ride has to be evacuated. While it's kind of a worst case scenario, it's still a good situation to think about and something you can discuss with your child if they want to ride alone.
Those are very good conversations to have with kids (and parents) heading into the SR line. Since Disneyland Resort has more SR lines than WDW (as far as I know), we have the conversation with DS about DLR. There are some rides we're all comfy with him going SR (Radiator Springs Racers!) and others we're not (California Screamin'). Different rides, different possible breakdown scenarios, different answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDC Nala View Post
Going by RSR b/c the seating is similar to TT, even while totally willing and ready to be on entirely different ride cycles, they have put the 2 or 3 of us in the same car or ride cycle. Not next to each other, but near. It's not what we intended at all, but it's their decision. So if TT is trying to make sure that doesn't happen, they'll be more intentional about where they are sending people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmar411 View Post
What I meant is they will send ppl who are together to different cars or different lines in the car. Which is annoying for families like mine who want to ride together. We want 3 in the first row and 1 in the back (when we are a party of 4), not 2 and 2 and then single riders in the 3rd spot. It's rude to assign us like that when we've waited in line to ride together.
I bet they think they are doing you a favor, or at least that one person that otherwise would have to ride with no one they know next to them. Why not just say "3 and 1" when they ask how many in your party, instead of "4"? Help them out a little by letting them know up front that one of you is fine riding "alone".

ETA: as a person who is put with strangers a lot (we are a family of 3 and my guys love to ride together), I have to tell you that I am a rule follower, and would be highly unlikely to comply with your request, delmar, for me to move. Don't be surprised if you encounter people who want to follow what the CM tells us to do, not the random guest.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:35 PM   #28
TDC Nala
Diet Coke on Ice or Else

DISboards Moderator

Oh you mean split up the group in the regular line and not the single rider group.

That's how they're trained to seat parties of four - two and two. Not three and one. It's assumed each member of the group wants to sit with another member of the group rather than having one seated alone. Most parties would see having one member sit alone as splitting up the group, so I really dont think they are assigning you 2 and 2 just to be rude. Next time, ask the cast member to seat you 3 and 1. They are not trying to put you in a configuration you don't want, it's just that they're going with what it's assumed most groups of 4 would prefer.

Last edited by TDC Nala; 01-11-2013 at 01:42 PM.
TDC Nala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:39 PM   #29
loislane
DIS Veteran

On our last trip, DS turned 7 while we were there and we let him do some limited single rider - usually while someone else from the family was also going as a single rider. That way, we ended up on the same ride usually - just not together. We had one scare where he got off EE and went right through the gift shop and outside instead of waiting for the rest of us like he was supposed to - but the friends we were with on that trip were outside and he wanted to be with them. So he wasn't off on his own, but it still gave us a start until we spotted him. That said, it was a good opportunity to talk to him about the rules of single ridership and why they are important. After that, he was great about waiting right where he was supposed to.

8/18/13-8/29/13 Fort Wilderness
8/21/11-8/27/11 Pop Century
9/12/09-9/19/09 Pop Century
loislane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #30
TruBlu
I was very excited to see how yummy it looks!
You can do what we do and go to BOTH!
I could have been contender.... instead, I'm just itchy

Ride breakdown never even crossed my mind!!! That would be really scary for a little kid in RNRC. I'm going to make sure DS11 knows what to do just in case-because my chicken self sure isn't riding with him!
Thanks for that tip!!!

Sent from Tracey's iPhone using DISBoards

"Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate." -Captain Jack Sparrow

TruBlu is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: