Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 11:46 AM   #1
Herfnerd
DIS Veteran

Best way to get to Kona Cafe from MK

Just curious - we are planning on hitting the MK on 1/20 and have 5:40 ADR for Kona Cafe. Wasn't sure what is the easiest/quickest way to get to Poly and how much time should we allow to get there?
Old 01-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
Crystal824
DIS Veteran

The boat or the resort monorail are probably about the same as far as time goes. The resort monorail runs more often and are faster, but it will stop at the Contemporary and TTC before the Poly. Boats are about every 20 min. and are a bit slower, but they go directly to the Poly. Not to mention that either could have just left right before you arrive. I would just go with whichever you prefer. I would give myself about 30-40 min. to get there....meaning 30-40 min. after you leave the gates of the MK (not 30 min. from getting off Splash). It does take some time to get to the front of the MK.
Crystal824 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #3
Mommy2TwoMickeys
DIS Veteran

I would suggest the monorail. When you arrive at the Polynesian by monorail you walk down a short ramp..thru the doors..and Kona is on your left. By boat(not that its a far walk) will add some time to your arrival since you have to walk down the dock then over to the GCH and go up to the 2d floor. Though for the fact the Poly has beautiful grounds, its a nice way to take in the tropical feel!
Old 01-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #4
MHSweb79
DIS Veteran

There's a boat that goes to/ from the GF, Poly and MK. It's not the giant ferry that takes to you the TTC, although that would work as well. I think the little boat would probably be faster than the resort monorail, and it's a very pleasant ride.
MHSweb79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:27 PM   #5
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

The monorail is probably faster if you don't actually see the boat docked or on it's approach to the dock as you walk past it to the monorail station.

This is all assuming that the monorail is actually running when you want to use it.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #6
TDC Nala
1937, what a year that was
Diet Coke on Ice or Else
I apparently don't do anything they want to stimulate

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Boats are about every 20 min. and are a bit slower, but they go directly to the Poly.
The launch coming from MK will stop at the Grand Floridian first. Unless they've changed things. Basically I see no time difference inherent in taking the launch to the Polynesian over the monorail. The boat would be a faster ride if it didn't stop at GF first but since it does, I think that would about even it out.

I usually suggest the boat if you're going to GF because most of the restaurants are toward the back of the resort and less walking required, if you are going to the Polynesian there's much less walking if you enter through the front of the resort rather than from the boat dock.

Personally what I would do is walk over in that direction and check the line for the boat, if the resort launch is just pulling up and the line looks like you might get on that one, I'd take the boat. If the boat isn't in sight or will be full based on the line already waiting for it, then take the monorail. As noted, if the monorail is operational...
Old 01-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #7
cigar95
DIS weakest link

I had a "close connection" for a dinner at 'Ohana last year, so I had asked exactly this question over on the Transportation board, where there are some real experts. When the time came, I decided to see which conveyance was about to depart when I exited the MK, and the launch had already begun boarding, so I got on.

In the end, both the express and the resort monorail would have gotten me to the restaurant quicker.

The launch stop at the Floridian takes more time than you would expect. The boat has to slow down and maneuver, then dock, a few moments for exiting passengers to disembark, then load the waiting passengers, then wait a few more minutes to give more guests time to arrive, then approaching the Poly dock, slowing down and maneuvering again to dock . . . . well, you can see how it takes longer than you might first expect. (It frustrated the %*^# out of me, as it felt like everything was going in slow motion as I needed to get to 'Ohana!)

In the meantime, *two* resort monorails that departed the MK after my boat launched had already arrived at the Poly. And the express monorail that I could have caught when I arrived at the MK station had already returned to the MK and was in the station as I got to the Great Ceremonial House.

Lesson I learned - if time matters, *don't* count on the small launch to get to the Poly. Chances are that either monorail will be faster, even though it means either walking from the TTC to the GCH (Express) or waiting through two additional station stops (resort).
cigar95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:54 PM   #8
Herfnerd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigar95 View Post
I had a "close connection" for a dinner at 'Ohana last year, so I had asked exactly this question over on the Transportation board, where there are some real experts. When the time came, I decided to see which conveyance was about to depart when I exited the MK, and the launch had already begun boarding, so I got on.

In the end, both the express and the resort monorail would have gotten me to the restaurant quicker.

The launch stop at the Floridian takes more time than you would expect. The boat has to slow down and maneuver, then dock, a few moments for exiting passengers to disembark, then load the waiting passengers, then wait a few more minutes to give more guests time to arrive, then approaching the Poly dock, slowing down and maneuvering again to dock . . . . well, you can see how it takes longer than you might first expect. (It frustrated the %*^# out of me, as it felt like everything was going in slow motion as I needed to get to 'Ohana!)

In the meantime, *two* resort monorails that departed the MK after my boat launched had already arrived at the Poly. And the express monorail that I could have caught when I arrived at the MK station had already returned to the MK and was in the station as I got to the Great Ceremonial House.

Lesson I learned - if time matters, *don't* count on the small launch to get to the Poly. Chances are that either monorail will be faster, even though it means either walking from the TTC to the GCH (Express) or waiting through two additional station stops (resort).
Thanx - thinking that the monorail might be the way to go!

BTW - if you noticed my handle, I believe we may have sumpin in common!
Old 01-09-2013, 03:46 PM   #9
cigar95
DIS weakest link

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herfnerd View Post
BTW - if you noticed my handle, I believe we may have sumpin in common!
That one went over my head. (I'm not a cigar smoker, if that was the reference.)
cigar95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:03 PM   #10
Herfnerd
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by cigar95 View Post
That one went over my head. (I'm not a cigar smoker, if that was the reference.)
Huh....well....that was what I was referring to, lol!
Old 01-09-2013, 07:15 PM   #11
mjperry
One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation. Right at the start of anything that's new, one little spark lights up for you.

If you have time the boat ride is a nice way to relax before dinner, it's nice way to unwind after the park.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
July - 2010 - POP
June - 2011 - POP
*Plus Three Times Off Site, before I knew better.
My Disney Blog
http://www.interplantarypodcast.blogspot.com

T

mjperry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:02 AM   #12
CraigInPA
Since June 1974

While I like the boat, I wouldn't take it if I'm time constrained. It stops at the GF. The boat captain has to go through a complicated maneover to dock there, and a particular and time consuming number of steps to safely disembark and embark passengers.

First choice would be the resort monorail. When you exit at the Poly, you go across the bridge from the monorail, right into the second floor of the Poly's grand ceremonial house. Turn left and you're standing in front of Kona. From the time you exit the monorail, it's less than a 2 minute walk.

Second choice would be the express monorail to the TTS. When you get off, walk all the way to the right, following the marked path to the Poly. Follow the path, taking the left fork every time. After a 5-10 minute walk, you'll be at the grand ceremonial house (or the pool behind the grand ceremonial house if you didn't take all the lefts). Go into the building, walk up the stairs, or take the elevator, to the second floor to Kona.
CraigInPA is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: