Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Adults and Solo Travelers
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-25-2012, 11:14 AM   #1
Justine825
Earning My Ears

Best TS restaurants for solo travelers?

Hi everyone!

I plan on going on my first solo trip in 2013, and I plan on using the regular dining plan. While I have some TS restaurants in mind, I want to know your opinions. Which restaurants do you think would be best for a solo traveler? The only TS restaurant I've tried at Disney is Crystal Palace (for dinner), so I'm willing to try a lot of new things.

August 2008-POP (birthday trip with DMom), August 2013-First Solo Trip-ASMu

Justine825 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
FiggieFan
DIS Veteran

We really enjoy Raglan Road at Downtown Disney - the bread pudding is fabulous, save room for it. We also really enjoy the Biergarten in Epcot, they will sit you with others since tables are for 8 which always makes me a bit apprehensive but we enjoy the food and muisc. We also love 50's Prime Time Cafe in Hollywood Studios and a trip to Disney would not be the same without it. Have a great time!

FiggieFan is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 11-25-2012, 01:19 PM   #3
artnerds
That's just unproFESSIONAL, gurl.

I like having something visual to keep me occupied when I have to dine alone, so my choices for solo dining are:

- Narcoossee's (Grand Floridian Resort), especially if you dine later, because you will be able to see the Electric Water Pageant on the Seven Seas Lagoon and Magic Kingdom's fireworks from the restaurant

- 50s Prime Time Cafe and Sci Fi Dine-In Theater (Hollywood Studios) - you'll have TV shows, movie clips, and cartoons to keep you busy

- Flying Fish (Boardwalk) - ask to be seated at the counter so you can watch the activity in the kitchen
Old 11-25-2012, 01:48 PM   #4
Justine825
Earning My Ears

Thanks for your suggestions!

I already am considering Narcoossee's because of the view and I've heard a lot of good reviews. I've also considered either 50's Prime Time pr Sci Fi Dine In. I haven't considered neither Biergarten nor Raglan Road but both sound like fun.

Last edited by Justine825; 11-26-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old 11-25-2012, 05:46 PM   #5
iloveokw
DIS Veteran

Talking

Tepen Edo & Biergarden have communal dining...you won't have to sit by yourself. We love Teppen Edo, friends recommend Biergarden.
iloveokw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:17 PM   #6
NJDiva
NJDiva Boo Boo

I love LeCellier...great food and it gives you a chance to plan the rest of your day. I totally agree with all of the other restaurants... they're awesome!

NJDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 08:35 PM   #7
BayouBelle77
Earning My Ears

My fave restaurants for dining solo at WDW:

Flying Fish and Jiko - both have counter seating and are just fantastic. Flying Fish has always been bustling with activity even though I go during slow season. I have found Jiko to be a bit quieter. Don't know which type of atmosphere you prefer.

Bluezoo - you can get the full menu at the bar...I did the chef's tasting menu and it was one of the top 5 best meals I have ever eaten. Plus this restaurant just looks really cool inside.

Bistro de Paris - I snagged a table by the window and got to watch Illuminations during dessert. Very quiet atmosphere.

Artist Point - the food was excellent (cedar plank salmon) and the waiter was very attentive. He even took my charger in the back and charged my camera battery while I ate so I had a full battery when I went back to the park after dinner.

I don't know much about the dining plan but I believe all of these are signature restaurants which require additional TS credits. If that is indeed the case, they are absolutely worth it.

I hope you have a wonderful trip!

WDW Pop Century (November 2011)
WDW Pop Century (March 2011)
WDW Pop Century (February 2009)
WDW Coronado Springs (February 2008)
WDW All Star Music (December 2002)
WDW off property (May 1993)
WDW off property (September 1990)
WDW off property (September 1987)
BayouBelle77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2012, 07:55 AM   #8
Justine825
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveokw View Post
Tepen Edo & Biergarden have communal dining...you won't have to sit by yourself. We love Teppen Edo, friends recommend Biergarden.
Both sound great! I think I'll probably go with Teppan Edo.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDiva View Post
I love LeCellier...great food and it gives you a chance to plan the rest of your day. I totally agree with all of the other restaurants... they're awesome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouBelle77 View Post
My fave restaurants for dining solo at WDW:

Flying Fish and Jiko - both have counter seating and are just fantastic. Flying Fish has always been bustling with activity even though I go during slow season. I have found Jiko to be a bit quieter. Don't know which type of atmosphere you prefer.

Bluezoo - you can get the full menu at the bar...I did the chef's tasting menu and it was one of the top 5 best meals I have ever eaten. Plus this restaurant just looks really cool inside.

Bistro de Paris - I snagged a table by the window and got to watch Illuminations during dessert. Very quiet atmosphere.

Artist Point - the food was excellent (cedar plank salmon) and the waiter was very attentive. He even took my charger in the back and charged my camera battery while I ate so I had a full battery when I went back to the park after dinner.

I don't know much about the dining plan but I believe all of these are signature restaurants which require additional TS credits. If that is indeed the case, they are absolutely worth it.

I hope you have a wonderful trip!
I checked and unfortunately Bluezoo does not take the dining plan though I might still check it out! All the other restaurants sound amazing!

Old 11-27-2012, 08:28 PM   #9
MADnNOLA
DIS Veteran

I'll vote for Brown Derby!

Both time I ate there solo, I got extra attention from my server and host (but not intrusive). The host stopped by twice to check on me and chat a few minutes and the server took his time in responding to questions and offering suggestion. I was totally relaxed and able to sit back, have a leisurely meal and take in the surroundings.
"Twenty years from now, you will be more disappointed by the things you didn't do, than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails." - Samuel L. Clemens

MADnNOLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 11:38 AM   #10
Simba's Mom
everything went to "H*** in a handbasket
Keep me off the high horses!
Suffers from theme park dyslexia

Quote:
Originally Posted by iloveokw View Post
The problem with communal dining, as I found out the hard way, is that while you may get some nice table mates, you could just as easily got stuck next to someone who makes you wish you were alone again. That happened to me at Teppen Edo-next to a teenaged girl who obviously had just found her worst nightmare-getting stuck next to a high school math teacher. And as nice as I tried to be, my questions were met with monosylabic grunts (since I taught high school, those grunts weren't unfamiliar). I'd rather be alone than wish I was!
I really agree with the person who said they wanted something visual to keep them occupied, and for that reason I recommend Sci Fi, Coral Reef, Sanaa, Chefs de France (by the window), and Rose and Crown patio at lunch. And I always point out that I'm solo before I'm seated, and ask for something to look at, and I've always found the hostess to be very accomodating. Anothger great place for people-watching is a Character Meal (believe it or not). No one notices that you're solo (they're focused on looking for the characters).
Old 11-28-2012, 01:40 PM   #11
Missytara
I'm all ears!

I eat out every night at home and sit at the bar. I like the opportunity of the turnover with people waiting for a table or being able to chat with the bartender.

My favs are:

Yak n' Yeti
50's Prime Time Cafe
The Wave
Cali Grill
Raglan Road
RFC
Paradiso 37

Me and the three cats - Momma Abby and the Kids, Gracie, Jack, and R.I.P. my little Desi (10/14/11) - Momma and the kids miss you and so do I.
Missytara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:06 PM   #12
Stacy's a freak
wrangles snakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADnNOLA View Post
I'll vote for Brown Derby!

Both time I ate there solo, I got extra attention from my server and host (but not intrusive). The host stopped by twice to check on me and chat a few minutes and the server took his time in responding to questions and offering suggestion. I was totally relaxed and able to sit back, have a leisurely meal and take in the surroundings.
This! I had a great liesurely solo dinner here a couple of years ago and would do it again in a heartbeat.
Old 11-28-2012, 07:40 PM   #13
Justine825
Earning My Ears

All of your suggestions sound great!

@Simba's Mom It stinks that you had an experience like that I'll have to consider that while making ADRs. Also that's good to hear that about character meals.

@Missytara I didn't think about sitting at the bar, good idea!

Old 11-28-2012, 08:43 PM   #14
olliffm1
Earning My Ears

I just got back from a solo trip and I ate at Donald's breakfast and France by myself. They were both great. The character meal was a little odd by myself at first but I had a great server and she insisted on me getting a pic with Mickey Mouse. The funny thing was the table beside me kept whispering she is by herself, thats so different, and so on. But when the next character was coming around one of the teenage girls got up and offered to take my pic with them. I guess they were just concerend about me getting the most out of the character meal.
olliffm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 09:53 AM   #15
Justine825
Earning My Ears

@olliffm1 that's great that you had that experience at a character meal

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: