Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 05:22 PM   #61
horric29
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by novazx3 View Post
Disney should make a rule: Those who choose not to get the flu shot should wear a mask to protect fellow passengers.
This is the best thing I've read all day!
Old 01-12-2013, 05:24 PM   #62
horric29
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by kalc12345 View Post
Really!?!?!
The flu shot is NOT 100% effective. So I guess everyone should wear a mask!?!?
If it's 60% effective I guess I'd rather have my family surrounded by those who have a 60% chance of not being affected than by those who take that chance...
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-12-2013, 05:26 PM   #63
horric29
Earning My Ears

How many of you that don't get the shot run to the doctor for Tamiflu after you get sick?
Old 01-12-2013, 06:05 PM   #64
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I know this will fall on deaf ears but I believe God designed our bodies and set up the laws of nature for a reason. I trust my immune system the way God designed it. If you think your mission in life is to improve on God's providence then put you faith in government.
It will fall on deaf ears. My older twins (19 now) were rarely ever sick. My youngest (6) gets sick very often. It was a totally random thing. Everyone has a different immune system and that's fine if you are a person who never gets sick. But you are basically saying that the laws of nature determine who gets sick and leaving it in "God's hands" doesn't wash with me as a mother. We will stick with the flu shot.

Now I agree, we don't need to force people to get a flu shot or any other vaccine. If you don't want it, don't get it. But when you get sick, keep your sick butt home.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:22 PM   #65
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by novazx3 View Post
Disney should make a rule: Those who choose not to get the flu shot should wear a mask to protect fellow passengers.
That's what we need, private industry stepping into the role of tyranny and forcing people to trust the CDC. And why stop with cruise lines....airplanes, trains, subways, malls, schools....

It's amazing how quickly some people will cede their liberty because the government has instilled fear in them!
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Old 01-12-2013, 06:22 PM   #66
jmarsh
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by horric29
How many of you that don't get the shot run to the doctor for Tamiflu after you get sick?
Well I actually have never gotten the flu shot and I have not had the flu in over 12 years. My daughter is ten and have never received the flu shot and has never had the flu. We eat healthy, wash our hands, and exercise....we let our immune system work...
Old 01-12-2013, 06:25 PM   #67
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarsh View Post
We eat healthy, wash our hands, and exercise....we let our immune system work...
So do we. My oldest two never got sick. My youngest is sick all the time. It's not that simple.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:27 PM   #68
jmarsh
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by horric29
Plus we drink 2 glasses of 100% grape juice everyday. People claim it is an old wives tale and I say that it works.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:39 PM   #69
jmarsh
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonniec

So do we. My oldest two never got sick. My youngest is sick all the time. It's not that simple.
For people who have a suppressed immune system the flu shot is a good idea. I do not have that problem so I opt out. If my circumstances were different I would get one.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:43 PM   #70
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Studies have already shown that the over use of anti-bacterial soaps weakens the body's ability to resist infection. I believe getting the non-replicating flu vaccine virus every year adversely effects our body's ability to fight real viruses.

Think bout this, why is the vaccine only 60% effective? Might it be that they really don't know what are doing? Certainly they do not completely understand our immune systems.

You know medical science does not know why some get motion sickness and others no not. We all have that little furry, gyro thing in our ear but when subjected to the exact same motions, some get sick and some don't.

About 5 to 20% of the population will get he flu (if you believe the CDC). Almost half of those that got the shot and were exposed got the flu anyway.
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14

Last edited by Rogillio; 01-12-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:02 PM   #71
nugov2
DIS Veteran

I know this is hot button, but here is my perspective. The year my dd was old enough to get the flu shot there was a shortage. She wasn't high risk and could not get it. I was worried and my Dr. said Do not worry. She does not have a compromised immune system, she has no underlying conditions. She will be fine. This statement and my own views about not all vaccines being necessary has led me to not do this one. I've never had it either and so far no flu(over 8 years). Do I know it is 50/50 on if we get it...yes, but I'll take my chances. I agree with pp about our bodies building up immunity the natural way. I will be honest the more I see/read the more I don't really trust the crap in shots. I also do not trust big pharma to be truthful. They rushed H1N1 so fast it is like Russian Roulette...what the hell will be the side effects? Who knows. Look at Chicken Pox. Perfectly fine illiness to get for most people, but now there is a vaccine...why? If you had it at a young age no problem. Now lets vaccinate all kids...what happens kids are getting shingles!! A disease typically seen only in older people. A disease extremely painful and much worse to have than the chicken pox. Plus once you have shingles it is dormant in your body and any time you get sick it can resurface. Is this what you want your 8 year old getting? I mean fine if the vaccine was for 12and older b/c the older you get the more dangerous chicken pox is, but why vaccinate small children...I'll tell you why. More people get the shot and pharma makes more money. If you really believe all vaccines are for the greater good and not for profit, you should look a little closer.

Don't get me wrong I do vaccinate, but against illnesses that are dangerous. Sadly I did vaccinate my dd against chicken pox, but that was before I knew so many with small children infected with shingles...and it isn't just one or two. I will not vaccinate my younger boys until they are older and yes they can get it when they are older. But don't worry kids will be getting shingles vaccines soon...because why not keep pumping our bodies full of man made chemicals to fight off germs and then the germs will mutate to much more severe disease and so on and so forth. Again, vaccines do have their merit, but so does the body building up it's own defenses by fighting off an illness. Too much of a good thing is not so good and I think that is the path we are heading down with all these vaccines. Just my two cents, but feel free to give them back if you don't agree I certainly don't think badly on people who do just as I think those who decide not to get it shouldn't be brow beaten either. We all make decisions in the best interest of our families with what we know. No person is doing anything because they are selfish and think the world revolves around them.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:08 PM   #72
jmarsh
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugov2
I know this is hot button, but here is my perspective. The year my dd was old enough to get the flu shot there was a shortage. She wasn't high risk and could not get it. I was worried and my Dr. said Do not worry. She does not have a compromised immune system, she has no underlying conditions. She will be fine. This statement and my own views about not all vaccines being necessary has led me to not do this one. I've never had it either and so far no flu(over 8 years). Do I know it is 50/50 on if we get it...yes, but I'll take my chances. I agree with pp about our bodies building up immunity the natural way. I will be honest the more I see/read the more I don't really trust the crap in shots. I also do not trust big pharma to be truthful. They rushed H1N1 so fast it is like Russian Roulette...what the hell will be the side effects? Who knows. Look at Chicken Pox. Perfectly fine illiness to get for most people, but now there is a vaccine...why? If you had it at a young age no problem. Now lets vaccinate all kids...what happens kids are getting shingles!! A disease typically seen only in older people. A disease extremely painful and much worse to have than the chicken pox. Plus once you have shingles it is dormant in your body and any time you get sick it can resurface. Is this what you want your 8 year old getting? I mean fine if the vaccine was for 12and older b/c the older you get the more dangerous chicken pox is, but why vaccinate small children...I'll tell you why. More people get the shot and pharma makes more money. If you really believe all vaccines are for the greater good and not for profit, you should look a little closer.

Don't get me wrong I do vaccinate, but against illnesses that are dangerous. Sadly I did vaccinate my dd against chicken pox, but that was before I knew so many with small children infected with shingles...and it isn't just one or two. I will not vaccinate my younger boys until they are older and yes they can get it when they are older. But don't worry kids will be getting shingles vaccines soon...because why not keep pumping our bodies full of man made chemicals to fight off germs and then the germs will mutate to much more severe disease and so on and so forth. Again, vaccines do have their merit, but so does the body building up it's own defenses by fighting off an illness. Too much of a good thing is not so good and I think that is the path we are heading down with all these vaccines. Just my two cents, but feel free to give them back if you don't agree I certainly don't think badly on people who do just as I think those who decide not to get it shouldn't be brow beaten either. We all make decisions in the best interest of our families with what we know. No person is doing anything because they are selfish and think the world revolves around them.
Very well said! You listed a lot if the same reasons that I have decided to not get the flu shot
Old 01-12-2013, 07:17 PM   #73
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nugov2 View Post

Good point about the pharmaceutical companies. Average price or a shot is $18. Multiply that times 40 million people and billions of dollars are moving. With money like this on the table it's not inconceivable that numbers are fudged and an atmosphere of fear is fostered.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:32 PM   #74
nugov2
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post
Good point about the pharmaceutical companies. Average price or a shot is $18. Multiply that times 40 million people and billions of dollars are moving. With money like this on the table it's not inconceivable that numbers are fudged and an atmosphere of fear is fostered.
I would respect their numbers more if they gave us all the information too. How many of the people who die from the flu have underlying conditions, had the flu shot, didn't have health insurance and waited until the 11th hour for treatment for fear of medical bills, (I know this sounds bad but happens) a neglectful parent who was too busy getting high or drunk to take care of themselves or their child and didn't seek medical assistance at all or until it was too late. If they took all of this into the numbers and it was a large portion of the statistic I would think twice. For all we know that makes up 90% of the people who die...and if it did would people reconsider getting the shot? Also if you look at the CDC stats only 3,000 to 49,000 people have ever died of the flu in one year from 1976-2006 no info on what year had the biggest figure...there are 311,591,917 in the US...even at the biggest year that is a very tiny percentage of people who die. You are putting your kids at a bigger risk by putting them in the car and taking a road trip. Over 40,000 people die each year in a car accidents and sadly that number never drops as low as 3,000 people in a year like the flu number does.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:09 PM   #75
DitkaFan
Mouseketeer

Wow... Here come the crazies...

2014 - Jan: 7 day RCCL Allure of the Seas Western Caribbean
2013 - Spring:3 days at Art of Animation in Disney World followed by 7 days Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean and Fall: 5 days at Port Orleans in WDW
2012 - 6 days at All Star Music in Disney World followed by 4 days Disney Dream Bahamas
2011 - 3 days Disney Dream Bahamas followed by 3 days at the Polynesian in Disney World
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: