Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-10-2013, 06:47 PM   #31
DahliaRW
DIS Veteran

Elderberry syrup is a really good way to help prevent and fight off influenza. Studies have shown it to be as effective at tamiflu. I take 1 teaspoon 4x a day when I start to feel run down. When we cruise next January I plan to have the whole family take it for a few days before and the duration of our cruise as a preventative.
Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean Cruise January 18-25, 2014
Walt Disney World (Port Orleans Riverside) January 25-29, 2014 (Epcot, AK, MK, Epcot, HS)

Old 01-10-2013, 06:50 PM   #32
tlkscott
Mouseketeer

The news reported here that over 50% of the people with the flu had gotten the shot. There is very nasty stuff in the shot itself and I know many people that get sick after getting the shot.

You are better off to up your Vitamin D3 and Vitamin C to fight off the flu. I have very low Vitamin D and have to take 20,000 IU's to keep my levels where they need to be. I have read that about 90% of the people in the US do not get enough Vitamin D.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2013, 10:34 PM   #33
smile750
Mouseketeer

are we seriously having this argument

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlkscott View Post
The news reported here that over 50% of the people with the flu had gotten the shot. There is very nasty stuff in the shot itself and I know many people that get sick after getting the shot.

You are better off to up your Vitamin D3 and Vitamin C to fight off the flu. I have very low Vitamin D and have to take 20,000 IU's to keep my levels where they need to be. I have read that about 90% of the people in the US do not get enough Vitamin D.
The shot does not cause you to get the flu. Period.

Read this (it's actually a FACT - something that many "news" organizations seem to stretch from time to time): http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/vis...ds/vis-flu.pdf
Old 01-10-2013, 10:51 PM   #34
Sinderelly
Princess

I tried geting a flu shot just one time and had a reaction. I've never in my life had the flu and seem to have a "high resistance" to illness in general. My Dr jsut prescribed some medication for me that lowers resistance and I've been afraid to start taking it I'm hoping we all stay healthy.

We leave for WDW/cruise this Sunday.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:19 PM   #35
NurseDave
Mouseketeer

Of course people that have normal immune systems and aren't in a high risk population can get the flu and have it feel like a bad cold. So then you end up spreading it to others without even knowing you have it. So getting the flu shot not only can protect you, but everyone else you contact as well.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:25 AM   #36
jmarsh
Mouseketeer

Drink 100% Welch's grape juice... 2 glasses per day everyday as a preventative measure against the flu. I have done the research and it works...
Old 01-11-2013, 05:21 AM   #37
Bonniec
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini2727 View Post
You may have been infected with a different strain than what was in the vaccine. This doesn't mean the flu vaccine is useless...

The flu shot is not 100% guaranteed, but gives you much better odds of not getting sick. I just saw a report that said one strain of flu circulating is 100% matched by this year's vaccine, another strain is matched about 70%, so it is offering good protection. A third strain going around is not covered by the vaccine, and is causing about 10% of the flu cases being reported. (This was on a CNN health update.)
So the vaccine isn't a cure-all, but is definitely worth getting. Even if you get the flu, your symptoms may be lessened if you have been vaccinated.

My entire family is vaccinated yearly, no reactions so far. Hope you continue to be lucky...it's a nasty one this year.

Also, was it the actual flu the poster got sick with?

Quote:
The shot does not cause you to get the flu. Period.

Read this (it's actually a FACT - something that many "news" organizations seem to stretch from time to time): http://www.cdc.gov/vaccines/pubs/vis...ds/vis-flu.pdf
This is worth repeating.

I work in the medical field and got the flu shot. A week later I got sick from a cold. I can't tell you how many people asked me if it was because I got the flu shot and I was the ONLY one in my office to get the shot. So many people believe the shot causes the flu when it doesn't.

The shot can't give you the flu. And as said above, it doesn't cover everything. I didn't even have the "flu". I had a cold (no fever or anything). But everyone around me assumes it was from the flu shot.

But the shot gives you a good chance to avoid it and if you do get the flu, it should still lessen the symtpoms. I'll take that!

OP, I think it's good you got the vaccine (clearly I'm a believer in it), but it won't take effect before you cruise. Stay safe!
Old 01-11-2013, 06:49 AM   #38
kalc12345
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlkscott View Post
There is very nasty stuff in the shot itself.

Yes, that shot is full of all kinds of nasty stuff!!!
Great advice!! That is what my family does. We up our vitamin D and take a few other things, Echinacea, C etc to boost our immune system during the flu season.

Old 01-11-2013, 09:58 AM   #39
MedicGoofy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by davedmaine View Post
That's a myth. The flu shot, in itself, has never made a person sick. You likely were already sick when you recv'd the shots.
Not necessarily a myth. If you look back a couple of years, thousands of people actually became quite sick after recieving the flu shot. During the H1N1 crisis, there was a ton of research done after. It seemed, the flu shot did indeed create illness in people.

As well, many people can get the common side effects of fever, chills and headache after recieving the flu shot. They may concieve this as 'being sick' but infact, common side effects.
Old 01-11-2013, 11:53 AM   #40
jjiillee
Mouseketeer

I have never gotten a flu shot. i got it a few times for the kids and every time they got sick after. One year I got it for dd and ds a few days before our vacation to Atlantis, they were both sick with flu on vacation. When ds got the flu mist one year he was sick with fever about 24 hrs after getting it. I know people will argue this matter forever but I an not getting it for my family anymore. if it works for your family great I think some people just don't respond well to it.
we try to eat healthy, take vitamins and wash hands regularly. I try to make them take a shower as soon as we get home from an indoor playground type of place. we do still get sick occasionally but so far not too bad this year. I better go knock on some wood

DS (8) DD (7) DS (5)
Old 01-11-2013, 03:57 PM   #41
jjje
One time I saw a guy wear cut-off jean shorts to dinner.

My son was hospitalized for a week with a bad flu a few years ago so now my family ALWAYS get the flu shot (except for my daughter because she has bad a bad reaction to them). This year I did get a very mild flu shortly after getting the shot but I know that was just bum luck and not because of the shot. Just that mild bout was enough to make me certain I want to try to avoid the big, bad flu! I think the week before my family cruises I might quarantine them to make sure we don't get sick! (Ok, not really but I do always worry about illness right before a vacation.)

Mom Dad and two perfectly imperfect kids Son (13) and Daughter (8)

1982-89 too many trips to Disneyland to count, 1991 Disneyland Paris, 1994 Disney World @ Beach Club, 1999 Honeymoon in Disney World @ Caribbean Beach Resort, 2001 Disney World @ All Star Music, 2004 Disney World during Hurricane Jeanne @ All Star Sports, 2005 Disney World off property, 2006 Disney World with a newborn @ All Star Movies, 2008 Disney World to celebrate surrogacy #1 @ Port Orleans French Quarter, 2010 Disneyland to celebrate surrogacy #2, 2012 Disney World @ Port Orleans Riverside to celebrate surrogacy #3, 2013 Bahamas on the Magic, 2013 Caribbean on the Wonder, 2014 Panama Canal on the Wonder

Old 01-11-2013, 05:20 PM   #42
Smith70592
Earning My Ears

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NurseDave View Post
Of course people that have normal immune systems and aren't in a high risk population can get the flu and have it feel like a bad cold. So then you end up spreading it to others without even knowing you have it. So getting the flu shot not only can protect you, but everyone else you contact as well.
Hope the ones that are against the yearly flu shots never have a child or grandchild with Cystic Fibrosis, or any other type of genetic disorder that require yearly flu vaccine but if so then they would fully understand how important and true your statement really is!!!
Old 01-11-2013, 07:28 PM   #43
smile750
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smith70592 View Post
Hope the ones that are against the yearly flu shots never have a child or grandchild with Cystic Fibrosis, or any other type of genetic disorder that require yearly flu vaccine but if so then they would fully understand how important and true your statement really is!!!

I usually don't get into any of this stuff on these boards but I find that I just can't keep silent on this stuff or any other vaccination stuff. It drives me nuts that people are so ignorant about vaccines and their purpose for the general community. They don't get that when they don't vaccinate their kids that that's why illnesses like whooping cough are making a mean resurgence when they were virtually almost wiped out. Gosh! It just makes me so angry. I'm not a health care provider, someone who works in the medical community or related to anyone that is. I just keep myself educated and do my research. Of course there are always exceptions to the rule where some people may have reactions. However, when we talk about the possibility of death here, I'll take a bad reaction over that any day.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:49 PM   #44
eyesing4u
DVC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by smile750

I usually don't get into any of this stuff on these boards but I find that I just can't keep silent on this stuff or any other vaccination stuff. It drives me nuts that people are so ignorant about vaccines and their purpose for the general community. They don't get that when they don't vaccinate their kids that that's why illnesses like whooping cough are making a mean resurgence when they were virtually almost wiped out. Gosh! It just makes me so angry. I'm not a health care provider, someone who works in the medical community or related to anyone that is. I just keep myself educated and do my research. Of course there are always exceptions to the rule where some people may have reactions. However, when we talk about the possibility of death here, I'll take a bad reaction over that any day.
I couldn't have said it better.
Old 01-11-2013, 09:09 PM   #45
violetmonarch
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJinPA View Post
I think it may be splitting hairs, but I do know with any vaccine (and with a very small number of people) there is a possibility that your body may react to the invasion of the vaccine into your body, often dependent on the shape of your immune system at the time of the vaccine and that reaction can create a wide range of symptoms - but is technically not giving you the flu. Then, when your body is weak, fighting whatever reaction you are experiencing, you may pick up something else going around a bit more easily.
Well said

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorimay View Post
One more thing, Get a can of lysol and spray the rental house down really good.
Especially the door knobs, light switches and TV remotes.

I don't blame you for wanting to grab them and run!!!!
Absolutely a must for all of our trips!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DahliaRW View Post
Elderberry syrup is a really good way to help prevent and fight off influenza. Studies have shown it to be as effective at tamiflu. I take 1 teaspoon 4x a day when I start to feel run down. When we cruise next January I plan to have the whole family take it for a few days before and the duration of our cruise as a preventative.
Thanks for that, I had no idea about that...I will use that for sure next time (hopefully, not anytime soon!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smile750 View Post

While we can't escape being sick ever, I agree...knowledge is power. Well said.

Disney Magic Western Caribbean 2013
Closed Thread

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: