Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2014, 12:46 PM   #1
rentayenta

There's never enough vacation time
I'm always thinking about it
I can't imagine being in it alone

Question Passport stamp in Mexico

The only souvenir my DS wants is his passport stamped in Mexico. Anyone know of a way for me to this? I read somewhere it costs about $27 but unsure of the exact process.

Not too shabby for a consolation prize: a Disneyland pre-trip report
http://disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3200081
rentayenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 07:38 PM   #2
I❤MICKEY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rentayenta View Post
The only souvenir my DS wants is his passport stamped in Mexico. Anyone know of a way for me to this? I read somewhere it costs about $27 but unsure of the exact process.

Where in Mexico are you going?

I've been researching Cozumel. From what I've found there is a post office in Cozumel where you can go to get it stamped. We are looking to do a non-DCL tour with a private driver for Cozumel so I am going to include this in my itinerary. Not sure if it is accurate information or not. Hoping our guide will have some idea and help us out.

I would be surprised that there would be a fee for stamping a passport.

Just noticed you're in Utah too.
Register to remove

Old 03-21-2014, 11:44 PM   #3
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by I❤MICKEY View Post
Where in Mexico are you going?

I've been researching Cozumel. From what I've found there is a post office in Cozumel where you can go to get it stamped. We are looking to do a non-DCL tour with a private driver for Cozumel so I am going to include this in my itinerary. Not sure if it is accurate information or not. Hoping our guide will have some idea and help us out.

I would be surprised that there would be a fee for stamping a passport.

Just noticed you're in Utah too.

We're going to Cozumel and have a day trip to Nachi Cocum planned. We'll be there 4/1 which is a weekday so the post office is a great idea. Thank you. He wants the stamp so bad, I'd actually pay the fee.

Yes, I'm in Utah too. We live in Clinton, north Davis County. Where are you?
Old 03-22-2014, 12:18 AM   #4
I❤MICKEY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We're going to Cozumel and have a day trip to Nachi Cocum planned. We'll be there 4/1 which is a weekday so the post office is a great idea. Thank you. He wants the stamp so bad, I'd actually pay the fee. Yes, I'm in Utah too. We live in Clinton, north Davis County. Where are you?
I would love to hear how you make out. I'm sure you could take a taxi.

We live in Grantsville which is in Tooele County. I work in SLC. We moved to Utah 7 years ago. Hard to believe it has been so long.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:11 AM   #5
mrslaney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
We're going to Cozumel and have a day trip to Nachi Cocum planned. We'll be there 4/1 which is a weekday so the post office is a great idea. Thank you. He wants the stamp so bad, I'd actually pay the fee. Yes, I'm in Utah too. We live in Clinton, north Davis County. Where are you?

I'm up for it. I want my passport stamped too! : ) I say we do that first.
mrslaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 08:26 AM   #6
Tricia's mom
DIS Veteran

Ask concierge on the boat.... On other cruise lines they will have customs stamp them for you. You just need to leave the passport with them.
1974 Red Roof Inn ( too Many others to mention) 1992 Hawaiian Village inn 1994 All star sports 1996 ASMU 1998 CBR 2003 Celebration Hotel 2005 Rosen Plaza 2007 Plaza hotel 2008 POFQ 2009 PORS 2010 PoP 2010 WL 2011 PoP 2012 PORS & Dream 2012 Royal Pacific...2013 AKL
Tricia's mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:59 AM   #7
mrslaney
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricia's mom View Post
Ask concierge on the boat.... On other cruise lines they will have customs stamp them for you. You just need to leave the passport with them.

This would be great! That way we could get a CC stamp as well.
mrslaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 12:56 PM   #8
I❤MICKEY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I've heard mixed reviews on this. Some people have reported getting their passport back with no stamps and being disappointed they didn't just do it themselves.

Cozumel is our first port. I may do that one on our own so I know I at least get one and then take my passport to guest services to see what they can do for the rest of the sailing.
Old 03-22-2014, 06:03 PM   #9
rentayenta

Quote:
I would love to hear how you make out. I'm sure you could take a taxi.

We live in Grantsville which is in Tooele County. I work in SLC. We moved to Utah 7 years ago. Hard to believe it has been so long.

We've been here almost 21 years and I'm still in shock. Why did you move here? I was young and dumb.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrslaney View Post
I'm up for it. I want my passport stamped too! : ) I say we do that first.
Sounds perfect! I can't imagine its that far away. Joshua really wants to rub his stamped passport in his sisters' faces.

Quote:
When do we leave it with them? I want to take it with me in Mexico.

Quote:

CC has a stamp? What country is CC?

Quote:
I've heard mixed reviews on this. Some people have reported getting their passport back with no stamps and being disappointed they didn't just do it themselves.

Cozumel is our first port. I may do that one on our own so I know I at least get one and then take my passport to guest services to see what they can do for the rest of the sailing.

That's a good idea. I think I may do the same. Does CC stamp your passport?
Old 03-22-2014, 06:14 PM   #10
neg58
DIS Veteran

I've heard it is really hard to get a stamp (by sea) in Mexico.

In Nassau, Bahamas, it is really easy. It's the building through the 'security' gate near the port. The first time we went to CC, we left our passports with guest services and they were stamped for us (it is also a Bahamas stamp but different than Nassau). That was on the Dream. The other times we've been there, on the Wonder, guest services wouldn't do it. They said they don't do it anymore. The harbor agent (or a name like that) has to stamp them and often he's only on the ship for a short time.

On the Panama Canal trip, we trip in Colombia and Mexico but couldn't find anyone to do it and no one really understood what we wanted. On Canal day, they had someone come on the ship and stamp passports and take the mail to be postmarked from Panama.

Good luck. I think it is going to be harder than you think.
neg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 07:42 PM   #11
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
I've heard it is really hard to get a stamp (by sea) in Mexico.

In Nassau, Bahamas, it is really easy. It's the building through the 'security' gate near the port. The first time we went to CC, we left our passports with guest services and they were stamped for us (it is also a Bahamas stamp but different than Nassau). That was on the Dream. The other times we've been there, on the Wonder, guest services wouldn't do it. They said they don't do it anymore. The harbor agent (or a name like that) has to stamp them and often he's only on the ship for a short time.

On the Panama Canal trip, we trip in Colombia and Mexico but couldn't find anyone to do it and no one really understood what we wanted. On Canal day, they had someone come on the ship and stamp passports and take the mail to be postmarked from Panama.

Good luck. I think it is going to be harder than you think.

Thank you for the information. My Spanish is decent, think that would help? Did the folks in Mexico not understand English? I'm hoping to navigate around the barriers. If I know where to go, I can ask the cab driver to take us there before Nachi.
Old 03-22-2014, 08:05 PM   #12
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Quote:
... CC has a stamp? What country is CC? ...Does CC stamp your passport?
Castaway Cay is in the Bahamas, and to my knowledge there is no Passport stamp to be obtained on CC. You can get one in Nassau.

As for leaving the passports with Guest Services or Concierge -- my understanding is that whether or not one is available will depend on whether the Customs official who boards the ship brings a stamp. So, as PP said, it's hit or miss whether this strategy is successful or not -- and mostly "miss" from what I recall reading.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014, 11:21 PM   #13
rentayenta

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
Castaway Cay is in the Bahamas, and to my knowledge there is no Passport stamp to be obtained on CC. You can get one in Nassau.

As for leaving the passports with Guest Services or Concierge -- my understanding is that whether or not one is available will depend on whether the Customs official who boards the ship brings a stamp. So, as PP said, it's hit or miss whether this strategy is successful or not -- and mostly "miss" from what I recall reading.

Enjoy your cruise!

Thank you! I don't think DS realizes that CC is the Bahamas. I didn't. I'm guessing he's thinking its Disney's island so it's not another country. He's not concerned with a stamp from there.

The concierge route doesn't sound like the way to go unless you're staying concierge.

I'll see if I can find out more about the passport stamp in Cozumel on trip advisor.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:39 AM   #14
I❤MICKEY
DIS Veteran

Quote:
We've been here almost 21 years and I'm still in shock. Why did you move here? I was young and dumb.
We moved here for a job opportunity. Always wanted to move out west. Love how central Utah is to the places we enjoy visiting like Yellowstone (been 10 times), Arches, Zion, Las Vegas, Disneyland (we had AP in 2011 and went 6 times), and Colorado. But it has been hard being so far away from our families. Especially once we started having kids. It's so expensive to fly back east. And we've found that it can be a little isolating if you aren't "local".

On a funny note tonight we were driving down 106th South in SLC and my 3 year old says, "mommy look Cinderella's Castle is out my window". I had to reply, "sorry honey that's a Mormon Temple not WDW". He was pretty disappointed. He wanted to go on some rides and watch fireworks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by neg58 View Post
We are on the WBPC in a few weeks and heard they've done this for previous sailings. I'm hoping they offer it this time too. I'm pretty confident we'll be able to get a stamp in Cozumel. Our guide is from the US and we've already discussed it. So if we can get Panama too I'll be happy. I would love Columbia but in the research I've done it seems pretty impossible unless you've flown in and have to go thru customs.

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: