Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2013, 01:45 PM   #1
Primrosepower
Mouseketeer

Questions.....

So I'm planning on going to WDW in June sometime for the first time. There will be 6 of us: 3 adults, two 12s and a 10.

Now since this my first time, and I'm planning all this, I have so many questions that I hope you guys can help me answer.
1.I know its going to be crowded in June, but this is our only time. Is this still a good time?
2. I have no clue of how I should do things, like itinerary-wise. Any website suggestions?
3. Any rides we shouldn't do?
4. Well, 1 of the 12s is afraid of heights, loops, and drops. Any no-gos there?
5. What are the best rides for each park?
6. Is it worth it to buy the tix to go to DisneyQuest and the water parks?
7. How long should we stay?
8. Where should we stay? (Medium price range, please.)

Anyone who can help, thank you very much!!!

Primrosepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #2
Diegosmom
DIS Veteran

I am also booking a June trip...

Be advised that June 7-9 (along with some weekends in May) are star wars weekend in DHS. If your gang loves star wars then make sure you plan that in...if you arent star wars fans then avoid DHS on that weekend.

I think you need a week at Disney. I like 2MK, 2Ep, 2DHS and 1AK...somepeople this DHS isnt a 2 day park but we love it especially TSM (but I have a 5 year old that wont ride the "big" rides.

Do make sure to read up on Fastpass...it will help you alot if it is crowded.

I like the website easywdw Its free and he has a pretty good best park calendaur.

Also heard touringplan is pretty good but you have to pay and I never tried it. Although if you book with AAA this month you get a free menmbership so I will be taking a lot at it.

Check out the maps for each park. They have a description of each of the rides and you can get an idea of what your gang might like.

Also be sure to be at the gate about 30 min before opening...or at least by opening. First hour or two is best time to get in the popular rides with little wait.
Diegosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-11-2013, 01:56 PM   #3
Diegosmom
DIS Veteran

Oh and we are planning on booking the caribeean. It is the cheapest moderate at Disney and with the current promo was very reasonable. (Be sure to check the promo. If you are going before June 14th you can get in on it).
Diegosmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #4
Primrosepower
Mouseketeer

Thanks!!! I'll definitely use all your suggestions!!!

Primrosepower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #5
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Primrosepower View Post
1.I know its going to be crowded in June, but this is our only time. Is this still a good time? It's more crowded than some times and less crowded than others. I guarantee that if you haven't been before, it will be more crowded than you dreamed. But if it's the only time you can go, then the question is moot. Careful planning is definitely an asset.
2. I have no clue of how I should do things, like itinerary-wise. Any website suggestions? For deciding which park which day, I recommend easywdw.com His daily analysis of each park has usually been spot on. He also has very good recommendations for touring each park to maximize your time. Touringplans.com requires a subscription and uses a completely different format and formula, but a lot of people like them and use their app. They also have multiple touring plans and customizable touring plans for each park
3. Any rides we shouldn't do? This varies too much from one person an family to the next. All of your group is probably old enough/big enough to ride them all. Some attractions come with health warnings that you need to be aware of. You will have to read the descriptions of the attractions and decide for yourself if they will be OK for you.
4. Well, 1 of the 12s is afraid of heights, loops, and drops. Any no-gos there? They would probably want to avoid any of the roller coasters, Splash Mountain and Tower of Terror. Better yet, have them look at videos of the rides on you tube and let them decide for theirself.
5. What are the best rides for each park? Again, this varies too much from person to person to answer. If you took a survey of enough people, eventually you would get a list that pretty much covered all of the rides.
6. Is it worth it to buy the tix to go to DisneyQuest and the water parks? How much time do you have for this trip? How much time do you want to spend outside of the parks and your resort? Does your resort have a great pool and slide, or will your family want more? All things to consider.
7. How long should we stay? A lot of folks plan for a minimum of one week. 2 MK days, 2 Epcot days, 1 day each at DHS and AK. And an exta day either for the parks, resort, water park, or doing something else. We like to do 10 days so that we can have non-park days every 3 days or so.
8. Where should we stay? (Medium price range, please.) Take a look at the moderate resorts. The official website has good resort descriptions and photos. You will find resort specific threads here on the Resort Forum with excellent descriptions and photos as well. See which one appeals to you the most. However, know that you will require 2 rooms. If you want to all stay together then you will probably need either a cabin at Ft. Wilderness, a value family suite (cramped for 6 Disney adults IMO) or a DVC villa with multiple bedrooms (expensive). You would get more help by asking this question on the Resorts Forum.

Finally, I would recommend that you go to your nearest bookstore and buy a really good guidebook. I always recommend the Unofficial Guide to WDW because I think it is the most comprehensive and gives great tips as well.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:30 PM   #6
Princess Sleepy
DIS Veteran

Quote:
So I'm planning on going to WDW in June sometime for the first time. There will be 6 of us: 3 adults, two 12s and a 10.

Now since this my first time, and I'm planning all this, I have so many questions that I hope you guys can help me answer.
1.I know its going to be crowded in June, but this is our only time. Is this still a good time? The crowds aren't as bad as the heat. We went the 2nd week in June a couple of years ago and were surprised that the crowds were not a lot different than when we had been there in January.
2. I have no clue of how I should do things, like itinerary-wise. Any website suggestions? I would get the Unofficial Guide to WDW. They have sample itineraries in the back and explain the logic behind making certain choices.
3. Any rides we shouldn't do?I think you can skip Stitch's Great Escape. I haven't found anyone who thinks that is worth your time. Other than that, it depends on what you like. For instance, I can't spin, so the Tea cups and Mission Space are never options for me.
4. Well, 1 of the 12s is afraid of heights, loops, and drops. Any no-gos there?I'd say Tower of Terror and Rockin' Rollercoaster for sure. Maybe Expedition Everest and Splash Mountain too, depending on how severe the fear is.
5. What are the best rides for each park?This is just my opinion: MK- Splash Mountain or Haunted Mansion, Epcot: Soarin' (although I can't wait to try the new Test Track), DHS- Tower of Terror and Toy Story Midway Mania, and Animal Kingdom- Kilimanjaro Jeep Safari, followed closely by Festival of the Lion King and Flights of Wonder.
6. Is it worth it to buy the tix to go to DisneyQuest and the water parks?Depends on how long you are staying. If you are only there a week, it can be hard to fit all that in. We have been on 3 1-week trips and several long weekends in the last few years and have done a waterpark exactly once.
7. How long should we stay? At least a week for your first time.
8. Where should we stay? (Medium price range, please.)We have stayed at both Caribbean Beach Resort and Port Orleans Riverside and liked both. For summer I'd probably go with CBR.

As you plan, feel free to post more specific itinerary questions here too. There are always people who can help you out.

Feb 2009: Poly Jan 2010: Pop
June 2010: CBR October 2011: The Dream
November 2011: POR May 2012: AKV- Kidani
February 2013: POR May 2013: CBR December 2013: The Fantasy
Princess Sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:57 PM   #7
Tomh
DIS Veteran

Quote:

1.I know its going to be crowded in June, but this is our only time. Is this still a good time?
2. I have no clue of how I should do things, like itinerary-wise. Any website suggestions?
3. Any rides we shouldn't do?
4. Well, 1 of the 12s is afraid of heights, loops, and drops. Any no-gos there?
5. What are the best rides for each park?
6. Is it worth it to buy the tix to go to DisneyQuest and the water parks?
7. How long should we stay?
8. Where should we stay? (Medium price range, please.)

1) Any time is a good time to go to Disney World, and especially if it is the only time you can go. Plan accordingly, use fast pass, be at rope drop, you will do fine.

2) The Unofficial Guide to Disney World is a great book. For planning / itineraries I prefer to use RideMax (web based)

3) That depends SO much on your children. The Unofficial Guide has descriptions of all the rides. Youtube is a great place to find point of view videos of all the rides as well. Between the descriptions and the videos, you should have a pretty good concept of what each ride is like. If you aren't certain, give it a try, they won't scream and cry for that long lol.

4) Heights . . .Tower of Terror, maybe Expedition Everest, Splash Mountain, Soarin'. Loops . . .Rock N Roller Coaster. Drops . . . possibly Pirates Of The Caribbean, you might want to ride it first and judge if it will be a problem. My DD18 is terrified of it, go figure. Splash Mountain, Expedition Everest (maybe) Kali River Rapids, maybe Big Thunder, I would test ride that one as well, The ride in Norway with the trolls (sorry, but the name of the ride always sneaks away from me), Primevil Whirl. Additionally, many are frightened by Stitches Great Escape, Dinosaur, It's Tough to be a Bug.

5) You will get varying opinions here, but mine are:

MK Big Thunder, Haunted Mansion, Pirates of the Caribbean, Buzz Lightyear
EPCOT Test Track, Soarin, Space Ship Earth
AK Honestly, my favorite ride in the park is the safari. Festival of the Lion King is not to be missed, and the Flights Of Wonder show is amazing.
DHS Star Tours, Toy Story Midway Mania, and DS9 loves Rock N Roller Coaster. I've been afraid to try it with my bad back. Journey of the Little Mermaid is an awesome show.

6) For a first trip, I would probably skip Disney Quest, and the Water Parks, I think you will have plenty enough things to fill your time just in the parks

7) As long as you can reasonably afford to. We tend to buy 10 day tickets, and stay for 12 days, which gives us a few days for Downtown Disney, and exploring the resort, as well as doing laundry, and swimming.

8) I don't know about off site, on site, I think your only options with that many people are two rooms at a value, a family suite at a value, or going to a deluxe / DVC, none of which are really cheap, sorry. Hopefully someone else will chime in with suggestions for good off site locations!
Old 01-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #8
MHSweb79
DIS Veteran

Choosing your park days in advance can make a tremendous difference in your crowd experience.

If you end up staying off-site (not sure what you mean by "medium" price range, so a Disney moderate hotel might seem expensive to you) then I would definitely recommend using the park calendar over at easywdw.com. This is because he tends to avoid parks with Extra Magic Hours, and offsite guests do not have access to these. We usually stay on-site, and I use those crowds calendars to choose my afternoon park - we like to hit morning EMH, then go back to the hotel for a rest/ swim, then head out to a different park in the late afternoon.

Once you have your park days chosen, you can book any TS (table-service) meals that you'd like to do.
MHSweb79 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: