Ths DIS is a great place to ask Orlando Stroller rental questions and share tips.
Orlando Stroller Rentals is your #1 place to rent a high-end stroller to use during your family vaction to the Orlando area.  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 11:56 PM   #1
snoopy5386
DIS Veteran

Pulling your kids out of school.....more than once

I am a former middle school teacher turned SAHM to a wonderful little first grader. I have no problems pulling my elementary school child out of school for a vacation and we did just that this past fall to go to WDW and had a wonderful time.

Now thanks to a very generous friend we will be going on a cruise in February over President's week and she will miss another 3 days in addition to the 4 days she missed this fall. This trip was not in the works when we planned our fall vacation and we are very, very lucky to have this friend paying for our family along with two other families to go on this trip, but we were not in control of choosing the dates and there was no way we were going to turn down a free cruise with wonderful friends!

Now that the trip is getting closer I need to write a note to her school to let them know about the vacation and I am feeling hesitant. I don't really know what to say or how they will take it....it's one thing to take a kid out for a vacation once, but twice? Looking for BTDT stories from other parents who have pulled their kids out of school for more than one vacation.

I should add DD has not missed any other days of school this year and she is a top student, ahead of the curve academically and I have no worries about her ability to catch up on work or fall behind while we are gone.

Thoughts?
Coronado Springs 3/05
Polynesian 10/05
DD's 1st TRIP for her 1st BIRTHDAY April 07!!!!
Polynesian 10/07 Girls Trip!
Coronado Springs 6/08
Food and Wine Festival Fall 2008
Sailing on the Magic 10/10/09
snoopy5386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:17 AM   #2
nchulka
it was funny when the creepy guys would follow close to them and then pull their chainsaws

I wouldn't worry about it. Last year I took both my kids out in late Feb/early March to go skiing in Colorado. They missed a week. Later in March was DDs 10th birthday and she and I took a special mother/daughter trip to Minnesota to the Mall of America. She missed 3 days. Spring Break was a week after we got back from that trip so it seemed like she was hardly at school at all for a month and a half! It was just the way it worked out, and it was totally fine. No problems with the school, no problems with her grades
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2013, 12:21 AM   #3
anniemck
DIS Veteran

Honestly, this is YOUR child... she will learn more on the cruise than she will sitting in class all day, she is in 1st grade, not a senior in high school, and getting ready for finals.

Official Disney Freak...
Presidents Day Weekend Twirlmania 2000-2012
Halloween 2011
Mothers Day, August, September, Osborne Family Lights 2012
DCL Wonder March 2013
15 cruises on other lines since 2007
6 trips to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge since 2009
Love vacations...
anniemck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 12:52 AM   #4
tigger51276
DIS Veteran

Last school year my DD9 missed the first week of school (should have been only the first day of school but she ended up in the hospital while at WDW) as we were at WDW and then I took her out again as we were given an amazing opportunity to go back to WDW with my best friend and her hubby/kids and as I knew we wouldn't have the opportunity to go in 2010 otherwise, I pulled her for another week in Feburary right before school vacation as my friends kid's vacation was a different week and since we were staying with them in their timeshare.....

My DD's teacher had no problem with it and like your DD my DD is ahead of the curve and did all the work her teacher sent for her and during the actual winter break finished up what her teacher didn't send. I was really nervous about telling her teacher about the 2nd vacation also, so I went in afterschool to let her know. I just explained it was an amazing opportunity for my family and that I would make sure she made up all the work and would even have her do extra credit work if needed such as keeping a journal.
Pop 10/07 - SSR 1/08 - Disney Cruise 1/08 - AKV 10/09 - OKW 8/10 and AKV SV 9/10 - ASMu 5/11, AKV 8/11 and BWV 9/11, AKV Kidani 2/12, BLT Theme Park View 8/13 and AKV 8/13-9/13, BLT, AKV, SSR & BCV 6/14-7/14
Me (38) DD (10) DD (6)
tigger51276 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:22 PM   #5
snoopy5386
DIS Veteran

Thanks for making me feel better!
Coronado Springs 3/05
Polynesian 10/05
DD's 1st TRIP for her 1st BIRTHDAY April 07!!!!
Polynesian 10/07 Girls Trip!
Coronado Springs 6/08
Food and Wine Festival Fall 2008
Sailing on the Magic 10/10/09
snoopy5386 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 01:50 PM   #6
ampc3
DIS Veteran

I don't know what the "rules" are in NJ but in our county that would all be unexcused and after 5 they start sending "threating" letters with all the "things" they say they can do... Personally I don't know anyone who actually had anything happen to them other than getting the phone call and/or letter.. but if your state has anything similar you might want to just be prepared... They almost set you up from the begining to fib about being sick just so it is excused.. Don't flame me for saying that please.

I would NEVER pass up the opportunity either that your family has!!! How awesome and generous of your friends it really makes me mad that the schools (at least ours here) make is so difficult to take your kids out of school for family time..

IT just doesn't always work out to only take summer vacations... Now I think as ones kids get older it does completely change things.. my oldest I would never let miss that many days b/c it would just be to hard for them to catch up, but the younger ones heck yes!
Have a great magical time

lots of trips as a kid ...
Feb 20-22 2005 Asmov (left little one behind)
June 8-16 2008~POR (first whole family trip)
Sep 18-20 2009~POP~ mommy and DD6 bday trip
June 6-8 2010~POR~ GAD trip with Ds,YDd ,sister and nephew
May 2014 for the twins first trip.. first offsite WBC

Last edited by ampc3; 01-11-2013 at 01:52 PM. Reason: spelling
ampc3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:08 PM   #7
mama2shi
Earning My Ears

I pull my daughter out each year for a week to go to Myrtle Beach. This year I will be pulling her out a week in October to go to Disney. The way I look at it, how much can she honetly be missing in 1st - 3rd grade for a week. It isn't like she is missing final exams or anything. I am buildng memories, and if she misses a little time from school in the process, so be it. Plus we make up the work missed or plan ahead and take it with us.

Tracey
mama2shi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 02:49 PM   #8
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopy5386 View Post
I am a former middle school teacher turned SAHM to a wonderful little first grader. I have no problems pulling my elementary school child out of school for a vacation and we did just that this past fall to go to WDW and had a wonderful time.

Now thanks to a very generous friend we will be going on a cruise in February over President's week and she will miss another 3 days in addition to the 4 days she missed this fall. This trip was not in the works when we planned our fall vacation and we are very, very lucky to have this friend paying for our family along with two other families to go on this trip, but we were not in control of choosing the dates and there was no way we were going to turn down a free cruise with wonderful friends!

Now that the trip is getting closer I need to write a note to her school to let them know about the vacation and I am feeling hesitant. I don't really know what to say or how they will take it....it's one thing to take a kid out for a vacation once, but twice? Looking for BTDT stories from other parents who have pulled their kids out of school for more than one vacation.

I should add DD has not missed any other days of school this year and she is a top student, ahead of the curve academically and I have no worries about her ability to catch up on work or fall behind while we are gone.

Thoughts?
Let's see..........Go on the cruise, have a great time and enjoy spending time with friends and family. When my kids were younger, we did 8 days (6 off from school) in Disney in October and then 3 days from school in April. We have a school policy that if you miss 14 days, they call you in to discuss. Never had any issues. Teachers were all OK as both made up the missed assignments quickly. Honestly, it would not bother me. Life experiences are very important as well.
Old 01-12-2013, 07:22 PM   #9
daisyduck123
I just love those parmesan mashed potatoes at Chef Mickey's!
I don't know how to cut & paste
Disney has made my family & I "park snobs"

Go and have a great time.

Over the years, we pulled our kids out several times during the school year for WDW trips. Sometimes our kids missed more than 10 school days in one year for WDW.

Hasn't hurt them one bit....my oldest (DD18) is now away in her 2nd year of college and officially a Junior. Somehow missing all that school didn't hurt her one bit. Maybe going to WDW so much is what put her "ahead of the rest"...
Jan 2006 Pop CenturyMay 2005 Pop Century May 2004 Pop Century Dec 1976 Off Site
daisyduck123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 09:41 PM   #10
rutgers1
DIS Veteran

I have mixed emotions about missing school for a trip. As a kid, my family would often miss a week in October to go to Disney, and I will admit that it was disruptive for me as a student even though I wouldn't admit it at the time. My parents went in October for one reason -- smaller crowds.

As an elementary school teacher, I hate it when kids miss school for a vacation. It is very frustrating when I get the "Will he be missing anything?" email, or the one a few days before the trip when the parent asks for "all" of the work. If I were to send "all" of it, the child would be working for hours every day.

Perhaps I am too sensitive, but when I get these emails asking me if the child will be missing "anything," I feel like some parents think that all we do is babysit their kids all day. On top of that, it always seems that the kids who miss the most school are the ones who can least afford to miss it. VERY infrequently will one of the top, top students miss a week of school for a vacation.

I can understand missing a week if that is the only week that a parent can get off, or if there is a family event (such as a wedding) that is scheduled for that week. However, when I hear that parents are going because crowds are smaller, it is a bit frustrating.

With that said, I missed school for vacations as a kid and turned out ok!
rutgers1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 10:40 AM   #11
4HppyCamprs
DIS Veteran

While I am one who believes education is important, I also believe that actually living your life is important and that my children can learn to become good corporate soldiers (the reason formal education was developed and its purpose) even of they miss a week of elementary school.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
09 ASMu 1st Visit! Grandma came too! Free dining 2010 POR 2nd Visit! Grandma is along for the ride! Free dining! 03/05-09/2012 POLY here we come!! We love Disney and Grandma does too! No dining plan and we loved it! DoubleTree DTD: 3/10-3/15/13 The whole gang! Best Trip yet! First Cruise: 1/6-1/10/14 Disney Magic. 2nd Cruise: 10/23-10/28/15 Disney Magic.
Me: Heather DH: DS #1 (11/04) DS #2 (2/09) DD (08/11) rincess:
4HppyCamprs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:02 PM   #12
KristinAnne
DIS Veteran

I agree with Rutgers. She's your child, and if you want to pull her out, then pull her out. You know her ability and work level better than anyone. However, I do have a problem asking for "all the work" the child will be missing. Teachers have a lot to do (as you know as a former teacher yourself) and it is very time consuming to think ahead, make copies, etc etc.

KristinAnne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 02:20 PM   #13
Marionnette
Wishing On A Star
I stop in the middle and make others step over me while pretending not to understand English

I have to wonder if pulling the kids out of school for vacations sends them the wrong message. Now, please understand that this is just me thinking "out loud", and it isn't an indictment of those who choose to take their children when school is in session. I also did it when the kids were in K-2 if we could combine travel dates with teacher in-services. When they got older, we switched to going in July or late August.

My brother, who took his kids out every October for a week or more until two years ago when he got divorced, just got another truancy notice for his high school age son. This is after being brought before a magistrate for the boy's attendance last year. My nephew doesn't seem to think that being in school is very important. And he cites those Disney vacations as proof that Mom & Dad didn't seem to think it is, either.

Marionnette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:17 PM   #14
BuzznBelle'smom
There are tomato-ey paw prints all around the stove
I've never had it burn, and I do this regularly

Just something to keep in mind: One year, I pulled my kids out for 5 days for a vacation. Later, my DD got sick, and missed an additional 5 days (possibly not all at once, I don't remember). I got one of those nasty "threat" letters, because the school was required by law to send one since 10 days had been missed.

I know you can't plan illnesses, but be aware that this could happen to you, too. The school didn't do anything beyond send the letter.
BuzznBelle'smom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:28 PM   #15
kkamyk
Earning My Ears

In middle school my school was VERY strict. They wouldn't let me out excused for a vacation. It was unbelievable.
I actually had to go the the nurses office and leave school "sick". My mom came in to get me and then we bolted out the doors and drove to the airport.
Not saying it's the best option- but it works.
kkamyk is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: