Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-12-2013, 12:05 AM   #46
letthewookiewin
"That's 'cause droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that."-Han Solo
"I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2: let the Wookiee win."-C-3PO

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBQuincy View Post
I took one of those classes, my first response to the teacher was "I work for a Fortune 100 company, what use do I have for ethics?" He didn't get the joke.
My sister got her J.D. from Tulane Law school. I told her that if she was bored I would be more than willing to let her do the work for me. Oh well, at least I have a good brain to pick for help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boBQuincy View Post
To totally hijack the thread, I tried a Canon 70-200 with 1.4x converter on a micro 4/3, 560mm equivalent but that's a long way from 900!

But back to helping the OP, Panasonic has a 100-300mm zoom lens for these cameras and that is 200-600mm equivalent! With the 14-42 kit lens that's about 43x total zoom.

That shot is amazing!! Was that with a Canon or your Panasonic?

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
letthewookiewin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 11:28 AM   #47
boBQuincy
I am not carrying three pods
There's something about the smell of the chemicals that just shouts "Photography!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by letthewookiewin View Post
That shot is amazing!! Was that with a Canon or your Panasonic?
Thanks! This was with the Panasonic G3 using the Canon lens. One of the interesting things about micro 4/3 (Panasonic and Olympus) is that they can use almost any other manufacturers lenses with an inexpensive adapter (manual focus only).

"Take the big pill, and go back to the SLR you know. Take the small micro 4/3 pill and you will never look at SLRs the same way again." a G3 and now a GX7. Photos at: suzieandbob.com

Our model monorail site: http://monorail.suzieandbob.com/

boBQuincy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-13-2013, 06:43 PM   #48
letthewookiewin
"That's 'cause droids don't pull people's arms out of their sockets when they lose. Wookiees are known to do that."-Han Solo
"I see your point, sir. I suggest a new strategy, R2: let the Wookiee win."-C-3PO

Well I can't seem to find a brick and mortar store that has the Panasonic G3. They don't show up on Best Buys website that I could find. Frys has them listed but has them as unavailable at all stores within 50 miles. I don't want to buy online, b/c I want to see how a camera feels in my hands before I purchase it.

I know several have said that a DSLR is too much camera for my needs. What would you suggest I get if the biggest problem with my Fuji is missing shots?

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
Old 01-13-2013, 06:57 PM   #49
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Well I can't seem to find a brick and mortar store that has the Panasonic G3. They don't show up on Best Buys website that I could find. Frys has them listed but has them as unavailable at all stores within 50 miles. I don't want to buy online, b/c I want to see how a camera feels in my hands before I purchase it.

I know several have said that a DSLR is too much camera for my needs. What would you suggest I get if the biggest problem with my Fuji is missing shots?
Unless you live in a major city with a store like B&H, you're going to have trouble finding the better cameras in brick and mortar stores. Stores like Best Buy carry a rather limited selection, and don't often have many of the higher end cameras.

When you say "missing shots," not totally sure what you mean.

You may like the Nikon J1/2. It's designed to be very easy to use, with very fast focus, and some features to help a novice truly get the shot.
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 07:28 PM   #50
letthewookiewin

Quote:
Originally Posted by havoc315 View Post
Unless you live in a major city with a store like B&H, you're going to have trouble finding the better cameras in brick and mortar stores. Stores like Best Buy carry a rather limited selection, and don't often have many of the higher end cameras.

When you say "missing shots," not totally sure what you mean.

You may like the Nikon J1/2. It's designed to be very easy to use, with very fast focus, and some features to help a novice truly get the shot.
I live in Justin, Texas, which is on the out-skirts of the Dallas/ Fort Worth metroplex.

By missing shots I mean, now I think it means something other than what I did when I started this thread. When I try and take pictures of action, like with the DSs football games, or at shows like the Indy show at DHS, by the time the camera focuses after I've pressed the shutter button, I have missed what I was trying to take a picture of. I want something that won't have that issue and have the ability to buy longer lenses, so when we do take an Alaskan cruise, I can get good shots from the balcony.

Old 01-13-2013, 07:51 PM   #51
havoc315
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I live in Justin, Texas, which is on the out-skirts of the Dallas/ Fort Worth metroplex.

By missing shots I mean, now I think it means something other than what I did when I started this thread. When I try and take pictures of action, like with the DSs football games, or at shows like the Indy show at DHS, by the time the camera focuses after I've pressed the shutter button, I have missed what I was trying to take a picture of. I want something that won't have that issue and have the ability to buy longer lenses, so when we do take an Alaskan cruise, I can get good shots from the balcony.
Then you're back to dSLR, which is the fastest for capturing action. Particularly, something with a good burst speed. (It's a reason I like my Sony A55-- 10 frames per second, but panning with the action is challenging due to the EVF).
But you grab something like the Sony A55... Then in a very affordable range, find a good used copy of the Minolta 70-210/f4, and you have a fairly fast long lens for capturing sports.

For something like an Alaska cruise, a long lens is good for shooting wildlife. But for more general scenery pictures, nice to have a good wide angle lens.
havoc315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:04 PM   #52
boBQuincy
I am not carrying three pods
There's something about the smell of the chemicals that just shouts "Photography!"

Quote:

Panasonic's G series (and GH series) are probably not available at many stores. Their GF series is more common but apart from using the same lenses these don't have much in common with the G. I agree about holding the camera to see how it feels, we just had to go on faith (& trust & pixie dust) and bought one sight unseen. It is really small compared to a dSLR.

Which brings us to another point: Panasonic's G series is for all intents and purposes a dSLR. It is not technically a dSLR because it does not have an optical viewfinder nor the mirror that supports that feature. Instead it has an electronic viewfinder, but a good one. As for "too much" for your needs, all of the cameras you are likely to buy have an "Auto" mode which is as easy to use as your Fuji. Then when you are ready to go further (and if you want to) they all have semi-auto and manual settings to play with.

Also all dSLRs and micro 4/3 (and NEX) have interchangeable lenses so you can go as wide or as long as your credit card is good for. Which reminds me, Panasonic's GX1 is almost the same as the G3 except it does not have a viewfinder (only the rear LCD screen) and is a bit smaller, same image quality though. Yet another camera to consider!

"Take the big pill, and go back to the SLR you know. Take the small micro 4/3 pill and you will never look at SLRs the same way again." a G3 and now a GX7. Photos at: suzieandbob.com

Our model monorail site: http://monorail.suzieandbob.com/

boBQuincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 09:46 PM   #53
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

Quote:

Howdy! I'm from Azle and now live in Grand Prairie. If you want to go shopping and play with lots of models go to Arlington Camera. They're at the corner of Randol Mill and Cooper, a couple blocks south of 30 near Arlington Memorial. I know it's a drive from Justin, but they're one of the few full service camera shops left in the metroplex with employees that generally know what they're talking about.

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: