Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Resorts
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 09:14 PM   #1
mick0613
Earning My Ears

Question French Quarter or Caribbean Beach?

Can't decide. We stayed at POFQ 2 yrs ago & loved it, but I've heard great things about CBR also. Has anyone stayed at both & help give us some pros/cons?
mick0613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:19 PM   #2
Meekogsd
Mouseketeer

I've stayed at both and I would go back to FQ every time. CB is way too big for me. It takes a lot longer to get on a bus and head out to a park. Whereas, FQ, one bus and go. FQ also has been updated this past year.
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2013, 09:33 PM   #3
DizFanSLD
Mouseketeer

I agree! POFQ is far more compact. At CBR, some rooms are what seems like MILES from the main building. Too much walking at the resort, when you already walk so much at the parks. And the buses are quicker and less packed at POFQ.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:19 PM   #4
LovinPooh
DIS Veteran

We hated pofq. I kno i m the minority here. But cbr is beautiful! I would return to cbr but not pofq. If u get a preferred room u will have no worries bout the size of resort. Buses were never a prob at cbr. We had more bus issues at pofq. Like i said...i m sure i m the minority. But stayed at both back to back n just felt more relaxed at cbr. Tge theme is so pretty.
Do love the door guy at pofq tho
LovinPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:02 PM   #5
dansdad
DIS Veteran

Having stayed at both, CBR is our choice. It is actually our favorite moderate. There is nothing wrong with POFQ, we just prefer the theme of CBR. It has such a laid back atmosphere that is a great break from the craziness of the parks. We really feel like we get 2 vacations in one. We have been at CBR when it is at capacity and it never feels like it. We tend to feel like we are the only ones staying in our building. We normally schedule 2 resort days during out stays we like it so much.

The buses have always been great. Every village has it's own stop so you are never far from one. The only time we have had to stand on a bus was after leaving MK after wishes or Epcot after illuminations.

The walking paths are awesome and we like to grab a drink and stroll around the lake.

Again, you can't go wrong with either. This is just our opinion.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:28 AM   #6
Belle83
DIS Veteran

I prefer the theme/atmosphere of CBR. POFQ feels more motel-y to me for some reason. I also think that CBR has a nicer main theme pool area, and a cooler food court area. I liked walking across the lake at CBR to Old Port Royale (food court/gift shop area). When I stayed at POFQ, I was 16 and didn't like it as much as CBR. Also love the sand areas with hammocks all around CBR

With that being said, POFQ was much more recently refurbished than CBR. CBR still has double beds, not queen beds. Even if you get a good location like I did (Jamaica both times), there are still more bus stops within CBR. At POFQ, I think there's just the one bus stop.

Since you've already stayed at POFQ and Coronado, why not try Caribbean Beach or even Port Orleans Riverside this time? I think it's fun to try a new resort
Belle83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:12 AM   #7
Chaoticsweetness
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick0613
Can't decide. We stayed at POFQ 2 yrs ago & loved it, but I've heard great things about CBR also. Has anyone stayed at both & help give us some pros/cons?
I just stayed at POFQ in December. It was wonderful! I loved how small it was, just a short walk to the bus stops & I didn't get lost trying to find my room.

CBR has a nice theme, but it is much to large. Not only did we get lost trying to find our room, we also got lost trying to find the store. Walking is not your friend there.
Old 01-10-2013, 06:13 AM   #8
maxiesmom
The Mean Squinty Eye Works Wonders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meekogsd View Post
I've stayed at both and I would go back to FQ every time. CB is way too big for me. It takes a lot longer to get on a bus and head out to a park. Whereas, FQ, one bus and go. FQ also has been updated this past year.
I agree with you. I just stayed at CBR in December, and it was just way too big! And with 7 bus stops it took a bit to pick everyone up before you were even on your way to the parks. CBR was beautiful, but nope, no thanks. I've stayed at POFQ 4 times, and I would definitely stay there again.
Old 01-10-2013, 08:16 AM   #9
mick0613
Earning My Ears

Thanks for all your input! It sounds like we may continue to stay at POFQ. I didn't care for the size/layout of Coronado Springs & it sounds like I would find that to be the same at CBR. I would enjoy the decor, hammocks etc, but I think we prefer the more compact size of the POFQ. Buses don't really play into it, as we rent a car after having bus issues on our 1st trip. So excited & ready to get booked for May!
mick0613 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 08:54 AM   #10
Cold71
Mouseketeer

I stayed at CBR about 12 years ago and didn't like it. Maybe it's changed? I thought the theming at the time was very weak. Granted I was only 15 at the time. I did CS last year with the wife which we loved. I could see the size of the place and the amount of walking being an issue for some though. Never stayed at FQ so I couldn't help you there. We are actually staying at PORS this year for the first time. We we're going to do CS again but I keep hearing that PORS is one of the best moderates so we thought we'd give it a try. My wife fell in love with the pictures of the Royal Guest rooms.
Cold71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:03 AM   #11
BinetteFam
Earning My Ears

CBR if you have young kids

We have stayed at both resorts and we are going back to CBR next month. I prefer the theme of CBR over POR but I think it comes down to if you have young kids or not. With young kids the CBR pool area is significantly better. There is more than one water slide which my boys love and they also have the pirate ship play area whereas POFQ just has a small plain kiddie pool.
BinetteFam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 09:06 AM   #12
VACamm
DIS Veteran

I have stayed at both... And would pick French Quarter over CBR again. CBR is nice... But FQ is so much better in my opinion.
Old 01-10-2013, 11:03 AM   #13
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

We've stayed at the CBR many many times and, even when my son was younger and when my 78 year old mother was with us, the walks weren't bad at all. We were in Barbados 11 (one of the furthest standard buildings) this past trip and our walk to Old Port Royale took us about 7 1/2 minutes but we were behind a couple with a double stroller so we were walking at a slow pace. Other trips back were just 6 minutes. The walks from Jamaia and Aruba were just 5 minutes at a leisurely pace.

As far as the buses having to make stops at the resort bus stops, we didn't find that it took that long really. The only time that it took a while was when they were loading a scooter or wheelchair which would be the case no matter which resort you are staying in. Other than that, it went quickly. As a matter of fact, I timed our bus rides from the resort to the parks and, from the time we boarded the buses in Jamaica, made the round to the other bus stops and pulled into the bus stop at the parks, the rides were:

Epcot: 10 minutes
Hollywood Studios: 11 minutes
AK: I believe it was about 15 minutes since we had to make the loop through Blizzard Beach
MK: Ranged 13 to 16 minutes (went multiple times)

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

mickeystoontown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:09 AM   #14
mericletwins
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick0613
I always like to pick the place I haven't stayed before. I think it is fun to try new places and it is on my bucket list to stay at every WDW hotel. I haven't stayed at FQ, but have stayed at POR and CBR several times each. I like them both, for different reasons. I do think the CBR pool beats the heck out if the FQ pool unless all your kids are preschoolers or younger.

On deck: BC CL August 21-29

BWI 9/12 POP 6/12 BLT & BCV 4/12 POR 4/11 BCV & THV 1/10 CBR 6/10 POP 8/09 CR-MK view 3/09 POR 6/08 BC/Poly Conc./GF conc. 1/08 BCV 4/07 CBR 6/06 BCV 4/06 OKW 10/04 OKW Thanksgiving 03 CBR 3/00 Off-site March '93, March '88, HS Sr Trip Spring '87
mericletwins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 11:13 AM   #15
mickeystoontown
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick0613 View Post
I've commented already but forgot to say...keep in mind that the POFQ rarely sees discounts as good as the other moderates. For instance, with the new Spring offer (which covers May dates), the % off at POFQ is just 5% while the % off at CBR is 25%.

2014 trip report: Disney dangled the visual weinee and Mickeystoontown gobbled it up! Our two week adventure!
http://www.disboards.com/showthread....6#post51642226

mickeystoontown is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: