Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-27-2013, 03:23 PM   #16
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

If anyone's interested, here's a wine list, I think the prices are by the glass and bottle:

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 05:05 PM   #17
ededmd
Mouseketeer

thanks for the list pshmoo.
like pretty much all wine lists, there is a standard markup.
for example the king estate pinot noir is about $22 on land. so at $52, a $30 markup. even allowing for the $20 corkage if you carried on, you are still "overpaying" by $10.
the kim crawford sauv blanc retails about $15 and is listed at $43. allowing for corkage you are overpaying $8.
is it worth the hassle of buying and lugging on your own wine to save $8-10 a bottle? only the individual can decide.
ededmd is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-27-2013, 05:47 PM   #18
sbag
Mouseketeer

Thanks for posting the wine list, PrincessShmoo! So very helpful! Here, in Ontario, I've priced some of the wines from the premium package to be approx $20 each. But I see some wines I would love o try that are not on the package, but still reasonably priced. I think we may end up not getting the package after all.
sbag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:35 PM   #19
bahacca
Mouseketeer

I have no issue carrying on red wine. However, what about wines/sparkling wines you want chilled? Our anniversary is the first day we are on board, but if I carry it on, how will champagne be chilled? Can you ask for an ice bucket from the room steward? Or should I just buy the bottle on board for that?
bahacca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:41 PM   #20
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FergusBC View Post
Does anyone know is the corkage fee per night or per bottle? For example, if we bring our own bottle and don't finish it (which is likely as one glass will have me very happy! ), will they hold the bottle for the next night and serve it without the corkage fee?
It's per bottle. However, I do not know if they will hold the bottle. Between my husband and I one bottle does not last long.
k3chantal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:42 PM   #21
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3chantal View Post
It's per bottle. However, I do not know if they will hold the bottle. Between my husband and I one bottle does not last long.
Yes, if you do not finish your bottle, they will recork it and bring it to your next MDR. Or the next one, if you have a different wine you want with the next dinner.

Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
Old 01-27-2013, 08:46 PM   #22
k3chantal
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjduncan View Post
Does anyone know the typical amount a bottle of wine would cost in the MDR or if there is a wine list somewhere? I'm trying to decide if it's more economical to bring our own bottles in and pay the $20 corkage fee each time or just buy a few bottles there. If they have some for $30 or $35 I'd rather just get theirs.
For the quality of wine we drink, the 20 dollar corkage fee was definitely worth it.

We drove to the port the first time we cruised (Port of LA) and brought about 12 bottles of wine on board so flying to our second cruise is posing a huge problem. We live in California and like our wine choice here. We would like to bring aboard the same amount but getting it there is a bit more challenging.
So for us, yes the 20 dollar corkage fee is definitely a great deal.
k3chantal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 08:48 PM   #23
bahacca
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k3chantal View Post
For the quality of wine we drink, the 20 dollar corkage fee was definitely worth it.

We drove to the port the first time we cruised (Port of LA) and brought about 12 bottles of wine on board so flying to our second cruise is posing a huge problem. We live in California and like our wine choice here. We would like to bring aboard the same amount but getting it there is a bit more challenging.
So for us, yes the 20 dollar corkage fee is definitely a great deal.
We are from CA as well. I was sad to see I cannot ship wine to FL, so we are at the mercy of the liquor stores near our hotel in Miami. If anyone knows any good ones, please let me know!
Old 01-27-2013, 08:53 PM   #24
jelliott04
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahacca View Post
We are from CA as well. I was sad to see I cannot ship wine to FL, so we are at the mercy of the liquor stores near our hotel in Miami. If anyone knows any good ones, please let me know!
Why not just pack a case and ship it as luggage? We are from New Orleans and when we go to Napa we always cram as much stuff into one suitcase so that we can bring empty wine boxes with us. We fill them up in Napa and check them as baggage on the way home. We generally try to fly Southwest because of the two bags free.

We have friends that ship wine home but I don't see the need when I can check it as baggage for free.

J
Old 01-27-2013, 08:55 PM   #25
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by bahacca View Post
Why can't you ship wine to FL?

Old 01-27-2013, 09:02 PM   #26
kshark1958
Mouseketeer

Me and the wife will be driving a rent a car to the port after a night at WDW. We will stop at a liquor store on the way and buy some wine and a cork screw. We will enjoy it on the veranda after dinner and not have to worry about any corkage fee.

1998 WDW Fort Widerness
2008 WDW All Star Music Resort
2009 WDW Animal Kingdom Villas
2009 Vero Beach
2011 WDW Bay Lake Tower
2013 WDW Saratoga Springs Resort
2013 DCL Fantasy First Cruise Ever
2014 WDW BCV
kshark1958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 09:07 PM   #27
Reddy
Scrapbooker

I like a wine that comes in a box - if I bring a box of wine is there a corking fee??? don't have a cruise plan yet but trying to talk DH into one knowing all the info would help
Old 01-27-2013, 09:11 PM   #28
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddy View Post
I like a wine that comes in a box - if I bring a box of wine is there a corking fee??? don't have a cruise plan yet but trying to talk DH into one knowing all the info would help
Yes. "Corking" refers to the opening of any container, be it a cork, screw-top, or a box.

The corking fee only applies to wine brought into the MDRs.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:17 PM   #29
friends with mickey
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_A_ve View Post
Typically I ony drink one glass of wine with dinner. My plan is to order the cheese platter and an empty glass. Have a glass and refill it before going to dinner...
That is exactly what we do, happy hour on the veranda with wine and cheese then off to dinner with full glass in hand. Going on our third cruise next month and we have never had a problem doing this. Room service will bring you wine glasses and a corkscrew if you need one. Cheers
Old 01-27-2013, 09:26 PM   #30
bahacca
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jelliott04 View Post
Why not just pack a case and ship it as luggage? We are from New Orleans and when we go to Napa we always cram as much stuff into one suitcase so that we can bring empty wine boxes with us. We fill them up in Napa and check them as baggage on the way home. We generally try to fly Southwest because of the two bags free.

We have friends that ship wine home but I don't see the need when I can check it as baggage for free.

J
We are a "If it won't fit in the carry ons, it doesn't go with you" flying family

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: