Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 07:21 PM   #1
FLherewecome
Earning My Ears

WDW annual passes

We are moving from OH to FL. (Can not wait to get out of the gloom.) We are looking in Lakeland and Winter Haven. We are considering getting annual passes to WDW. What are your thoughts about the annual passes? Are they worth the cost? We plan to visit WDW as often as we can. Lakeland and Winter Haven are both so close that we feel that we will be able to go a couple times, maybe more, most months.
Old 01-09-2013, 07:32 PM   #2
BelleBeautyandtheBeast
Disney Dreamer
Tags as old as time
You will be tagged, as sure as the sun will rise!

The break even point is said to be 10 visits. If you plan to go at least once a month every month for a year it would be in your best interest to go with the annual pass.

Side note: I am so jealous you are escaping Ohio for Florida! Wish I could! I am so tired of Ohio weather.
7/82 MK * 4/00 MK * 1/7-10/01 ASMo * 3/29-4/1/01 POR * 7/20-25/04 PC * 1/12-15/07 PC * 10/11-16/09 PC * 10/2-5/10 Offsite * 8/13-21/11 ASMu * 3/24-31/13 Offsite * 5/5-10/13 Offsite * 3/4-7/14 ASSp * 6/10-6/16/14 Disneyland * 8/22-25/14 PC * 3/22-29/15 RCCL Freedom of the Seas * 3/29-30/15 USO
BelleBeautyandtheBeast is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2013, 07:36 PM   #3
Art 1
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLherewecome View Post
We are moving from OH to FL. (Can not wait to get out of the gloom.) We are looking in Lakeland and Winter Haven. We are considering getting annual passes to WDW. What are your thoughts about the annual passes? Are they worth the cost? We plan to visit WDW as often as we can. Lakeland and Winter Haven are both so close that we feel that we will be able to go a couple times, maybe more, most months.
We use ours between 50 and 100 times each year depending on the year. So yes, for us.
Art 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:39 PM   #4
PigletsPal2
Queen of the Realm

I would consider it worthwhile as we're retired and can go to the parks whenever we want, but I guess our definition of "close" is different. Depending on traffic and whether you use the toll road, Lakeland can be an hour or longer away from WDW (DGD goes to school at Florida Southern College in Lakeland). I can't be in a car for that long at one stretch, so Lakeland isn't close for me. Probably an hour away isn't that far for most people.

Queen Colleen

ETA: Where does the 10 visits=breaking point come from? A Florida resident annual pass is less than $500 and even if the admission fee goes up to $100, it looks like the break-even point would be five visits. Am I missing something?

Last edited by PigletsPal2; 01-09-2013 at 07:44 PM.
PigletsPal2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:50 PM   #5
Cheshire Figment
Friend of Figment

The current price of a Resident AP (not premium) is $425 plus tax. And if you ar staying off-site or commuting it includes free parking at the theme parks.

Now Working Part Time at Walt Disney World! (Guest Services/Ticket Sales)

A few very helpful links which are on DisBoards:
Everything About WDW Tickets and this one disABILITIES FAQs
Cheshire Figment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:07 PM   #6
FLherewecome
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleBeautyandtheBeast View Post
The break even point is said to be 10 visits. If you plan to go at least once a month every month for a year it would be in your best interest to go with the annual pass.

Side note: I am so jealous you are escaping Ohio for Florida! Wish I could! I am so tired of Ohio weather.
Thank you!

I will miss the beauty of the snow falling and when there is a fresh layer covering everything...other then that I will not miss it at all. Maybe some day you will be able to escape all the grey skies also. We have been researching and hoping to move to FL for years now, almost can not believe it is really happening now.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:11 PM   #7
FLherewecome
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art 1 View Post
We use ours between 50 and 100 times each year depending on the year. So yes, for us.
I visited FL as a child and again as an adult, each time I kept thinking I never wanted to leave and wanted to live there. Now I basically can. lol
Old 01-09-2013, 08:15 PM   #8
BlovesC
home is where the Yeti is!
When the ride attendants ask me to tug on the yellow strap on my seatbelt, I never do it. I just stare at them in defiance

Location: Originally Jersey Shore, now Central FL (hopefully not for much longer)

I don't know anywhere in Lakeland from where it would take an hour to get to Disney. Except maybe on Christmas day. Heck, I've gotten to Universal Studios from South Lakeland in 45 minutes. We never use anything but I4.

OP, do you have kids? There are some beautiful neighborhoods in Polk County (and extremely cheap housing), but the schools are not the greatest.
BlovesC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:15 PM   #9
FLherewecome
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by PigletsPal2 View Post
I would consider it worthwhile as we're retired and can go to the parks whenever we want, but I guess our definition of "close" is different. Depending on traffic and whether you use the toll road, Lakeland can be an hour or longer away from WDW (DGD goes to school at Florida Southern College in Lakeland). I can't be in a car for that long at one stretch, so Lakeland isn't close for me. Probably an hour away isn't that far for most people.

Queen Colleen

ETA: Where does the 10 visits=breaking point come from? A Florida resident annual pass is less than $500 and even if the admission fee goes up to $100, it looks like the break-even point would be five visits. Am I missing something?
For us an hour is not too bad, especially when it's to go to WDW. Now if we were going to live closer, we would go that much more.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:18 PM   #10
FLherewecome
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheshire Figment View Post
The current price of a Resident AP (not premium) is $425 plus tax. And if you ar staying off-site or commuting it includes free parking at the theme parks.
How nice that you get free parking also. We would not need premium.
Old 01-09-2013, 08:26 PM   #11
FLherewecome
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlovesC View Post
OP, do you have kids? There are some beautiful neighborhoods in Polk County (and extremely cheap housing), but the schools are not the greatest.
Yes, I have a 14-year-old son. We are homeschoolers, so the school systems are not important. Is there any other suggestions for family friendly neighborhoods around Lakeland (up to about 30 mins or so away, but keeping close to WDW)?
Old 01-09-2013, 08:36 PM   #12
avgeek81
DIS Veteran

I live about 2 hrs away and for me it is worth it. Im single so I can go whenever I want and dont have to worry about anyone else's scheduale. I usually go for a few days and stay with friends that live in Orlando but i will sometimes go up and back in one day.

Its nice to be able to go if something new is happening. When the castle projection show started I remember being so excited I could go see it the next day I was off. And when New Fantasyland opened I was able to go as soon as I could. Last saturday I was able to see the comedy warehouse shows at DHS.

2 hrs is a long time for some people but I dont mind it since I went camping most weekends for almost 20 years at a place that was over an hour away so I'm used to longish drives.

Also when people i know from up north come for vacation I am able to meet them at the parks for a day
avgeek81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 08:50 PM   #13
FLherewecome
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by avgeek81 View Post
I live about 2 hrs away and for me it is worth it. Im single so I can go whenever I want and dont have to worry about anyone else's scheduale. I usually go for a few days and stay with friends that live in Orlando but i will sometimes go up and back in one day.

Its nice to be able to go if something new is happening. When the castle projection show started I remember being so excited I could go see it the next day I was off. And when New Fantasyland opened I was able to go as soon as I could. Last saturday I was able to see the comedy warehouse shows at DHS.

2 hrs is a long time for some people but I dont mind it since I went camping most weekends for almost 20 years at a place that was over an hour away so I'm used to longish drives.

Also when people i know from up north come for vacation I am able to meet them at the parks for a day
Thank you! It will be so nice to be able to get there for special occasions and when new things are going on or opening up.
Old 01-09-2013, 09:36 PM   #14
bearloch
DIS Veteran

Hi we just got passes we live in Brandon its 1 hr from my driveway to pulling onto property ( no major traffic) Lakeland in the half way mark for us so u should be easy in 30 mins!! between lakeland and winter haven I liked winter haven better when we were looking but that was before legoland opened not sure how traffic is now!

so Yes AP will be worth it to you!! we are going for the 3 time in a 2 week period and hope to continue the pattern on 2x s a month during school yr a at least weekly during summer!! we liked that we can not feel pressured to do it all in a day and leave when we are tired, hungry, or just had enough! and yes to go to see the specials we are looking forward to that!!

a piece of warning we r from Mi and auto insurance here and drivers lic is expensive and a pain! but 85 on Jan 9th!! priceless!

WDW1986
Disneyland 1998
Disneyland 1999
WDW 2003
BAck First time @ Fort 12 /2007

Moved closer to Mickey June 2011:dance
CSR June 2012
bearloch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 05:33 AM   #15
FLherewecome
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by bearloch View Post
Hi we just got passes we live in Brandon its 1 hr from my driveway to pulling onto property ( no major traffic) Lakeland in the half way mark for us so u should be easy in 30 mins!! between lakeland and winter haven I liked winter haven better when we were looking but that was before legoland opened not sure how traffic is now!

so Yes AP will be worth it to you!! we are going for the 3 time in a 2 week period and hope to continue the pattern on 2x s a month during school yr a at least weekly during summer!! we liked that we can not feel pressured to do it all in a day and leave when we are tired, hungry, or just had enough! and yes to go to see the specials we are looking forward to that!!

a piece of warning we r from Mi and auto insurance here and drivers lic is expensive and a pain! but 85 on Jan 9th!! priceless!
Thank you! And thank you for the warning!

When we were first looking into cities near to Lakeland we considered Brandon. I thought it would be close enough to Lakeland but not WDW. Now I am thinking maybe we should put it back on the list. It would be nice and close to the zoo also. We would definitely get a zoo yearly pass also. But then Lakeland or Winter Haven would be almost right in the middle of both. Umm, some thinking to do.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: