Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 09:44 AM   #1
WaltD4Me
PS...I tried asking for water cups once
I am actually a princess

Airline Check In Not Using Disney Transportation?

I'm having an awful time with our transportation to/from the airport, ect....

Here is the thing.....

Our return flight is 6pm, we do not want to hang out at the airport for six hours, so we were planning on renting a van for the way home so we could take our time going to the airport. There are 11 of us and the van I reserved is a 12 passenger, but I am told there won't be any room for luggage, so now I need to know if there is airline check in on the cruise that will take our luggage to the airport? I thought the only way to do that is if we were using Magical Express, is that correct?
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream

Last edited by WaltD4Me; 01-09-2013 at 11:06 AM.
WaltD4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:48 AM   #2
TLSnell1981

Sense isn't very common anymore
I can't wait for T shirts and cover ups

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltD4Me View Post
I'm having an awful time with our transportation to/from the airport, ect....

Here is the thing.....

Our return flight is 6pm, we do not want to hang out at the airport for six hours, so we were planning on renting a van for the way home so we could take our time going to the airport. There are 11 of us and the van I reserved is a 12 passenger, but I am told there won't be any room for luggage, so now I need to know if there is airline check in on the cruise that will take our luggage to the airport? I thought the only way to do that is if we were using Magical Express, is that correct?
Magical Express is only for resort guests and does not travel to/from port. Disney does provide cruise transportation for a fee and it is required to use airline check in on the ship.
TLSnell1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2013, 09:59 AM   #3
WaltD4Me
I am actually a princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLSnell1981 View Post
Magical Express is only for resort guests and does not travel to/from port. Disney does provide cruise transportation for a fee and it is required to use airline check in on the ship.
I'm sorry, I didn't mean Magical Express. What I'm wanting to find out is if we do not use Disney Cruise transportation, can we check in our bags from the cruise and will they be transportated to the airport...while we use the van that won't fit our luggage?
Lisa 1980 Poly, 92' Grand Floridian, Oct 98 Teddy & Doll Convention, Dec 2004 POFQ, May 05 40th Birthday!, May 06 OKW 41st Birthday! May 07 OKW 42nd Birthday! Feb 08 Pirate & Princess Party! Oct. 08 at OKW! 1st Solo Trip May 09! / November 2010 at OKW, 2013 at WDW and Crusing on the Dream
Old 01-09-2013, 10:27 AM   #4
Weedy
DIS Veteran

I have no idea if this will work or not. See if you can book transportation for just one person back to the airport and check the luggage for everyone under that name. Then don't take the Disney bus but take your van. The luggage goes before you do so it might work???
Weedy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:30 AM   #5
ksucats
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy
I have no idea if this will work or not. See if you can book transportation for just one person back to the airport and check the luggage for everyone under that name. Then don't take the Disney bus but take your van. The luggage goes before you do so it might work???
I suppose that is possible, but they might charge the going rate for that many bags for one person on the airline. I think after the third bag it hits 150 per bag or so. They are probably going to end up needing a second rental vehicle.
Old 01-09-2013, 10:36 AM   #6
kcashner
DIS Veteran

The requirement for using the on board airline check in is that you use DCL transportation.

There is no mechanism that I know of to take your luggage from Port Canaveral to MCO if you are not on DCL transportation.

It DOES worth the other direction--you can have luggage taken from MCO or a WDW resort to the port whether or not you use DCL transportation. The cost is $25 for up to 6 pieces of luggage. That's probably because DCL can secure luggage at the port. They have no mechanism to turn over luggage to the airline except thru the onboard check in system.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:36 AM   #7
WaltD4Me
I am actually a princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksucats View Post
I suppose that is possible, but they might charge the going rate for that many bags for one person on the airline. I think after the third bag it hits 150 per bag or so. They are probably going to end up needing a second rental vehicle.
We are flying Continental so they are charging us $25 per checked bag each way anyway.

I'm thinking we will have 6 checked bags. 3 staterooms, 2 checked bags per room. It would be great if I could just book one return through Disney and have them take the bags....is there any way to find out if I can do that?
Old 01-09-2013, 10:42 AM   #8
ksucats
Mouseketeer

Quote:
We are flying Continental so they are charging us $25 per checked bag each way anyway.

I'm thinking we will have 6 checked bags. 3 staterooms, 2 checked bags per room. It would be great if I could just book one return through Disney and have them take the bags....is there any way to find out if I can do that?
That is for the first couple bags per person. Once you reach the limit, Continental (United) charges $100 per bag. If you only check one person in, all bags would be tied to that person. I think you are going to end up needing to rent a second vehicle.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:08 AM   #9
WaltD4Me
I am actually a princess

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksucats View Post
That is for the first couple bags per person. Once you reach the limit, Continental (United) charges $100 per bag. If you only check one person in, all bags would be tied to that person. I think you are going to end up needing to rent a second vehicle.
Sigh... I was so happy to think I had found the solution to the 6 hours at the airport thing. I guess I will check out renting two vehicles.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:30 AM   #10
ksucats
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Sigh... I was so happy to think I had found the solution to the 6 hours at the airport thing. I guess I will check out renting two vehicles.
Since one vehicle will hold all of you, I would look at the second vehicle just for luggage storage. Not sure what you are doing that day, but if driving anywhere near the airport, you could park the car somewhere with the luggage stored & then get everybody in one vehicle. I would think your luggage would be safe during the day.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:33 AM   #11
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Quote:
Ok...this is what we did...granted there were only two of us. We booked DCL transfers from the ship to the airport using the Onboard Airline Check-in ($35 pp one way) so we did not have to worry about bags and we were issued our boading passes in our cabin.

We also had a late flight so we had pre-reserved a car at the airport (rental vehicle was $24). so, once we got to MCO we picked up our rental, did what we wanted for the day and returned the car before our flight.

Yes, you would have to pay the transfers and the rental car but I bet you can get two smaller rental vehicles for way less than the 12 pax van. You would not be hassled with luggage as DCL would take care of it. Though not ideal due to the cost factor...may be another option.

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:01 PM   #12
ps17
DIS Veteran

YouI would think that you could also purchase DCL transfers, do the onboard airline check in so that you don't see your bags until you arrive at destination airport, but then when you get off the ship, skip the bus and go wherever you want.....
ps17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:05 PM   #13
ksucats
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps17 View Post
YouI would think that you could also purchase DCL transfers, do the onboard airline check in so that you don't see your bags until you arrive at destination airport, but then when you get off the ship, skip the bus and go wherever you want.....
That could work, but for 11 of them that would be pretty expensive.
Old 01-09-2013, 02:19 PM   #14
bumbershoot
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmouse37 View Post
Ok...this is what we did...granted there were only two of us. We booked DCL transfers from the ship to the airport using the Onboard Airline Check-in ($35 pp one way) so we did not have to worry about bags and we were issued our boading passes in our cabin.

We also had a late flight so we had pre-reserved a car at the airport (rental vehicle was $24). so, once we got to MCO we picked up our rental, did what we wanted for the day and returned the car before our flight.

Yes, you would have to pay the transfers and the rental car but I bet you can get two smaller rental vehicles for way less than the 12 pax van. You would not be hassled with luggage as DCL would take care of it. Though not ideal due to the cost factor...may be another option.

MJ
That's what I would do.

DLR '05-'09 found within this link
DLR 7,9,12 2012 Universal Feb '12 DLR Dec '11 and Feb '12

Made weight goal 1yr8m8days after starting...currently working to maintain 85 lb loss thanks to Weight Watchers!
bumbershoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:23 PM   #15
ksucats
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumbershoot View Post
That's what I would do.
Not a bad option at all for 2 people, but 11?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: