Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-2013, 07:54 PM   #1
BibbidyBobbidyBoo

AKA BIP - Bibbidy is a Pirate

DIS Veteran

Help with where to eat one meal? (for a foodie- but in park attire)

Going to WDW for one day (disney cruise port of call)
We're planning on being there all day because ofcourse I can't even imagine spending only ONE day at WDW, so I'm certainly not going to cut it into a short day LOL
This means we won't be eating lunch/dinner on the ship.
We can do with one big meal and munching on other things throughout the day before or after that meal.

I was thinking maybe trying to get dinner at BOG but it appears you have to dress up- it says don your finery for a formal dinner, so I'm not sure park attire will be appropriate.

Likewise it appears that Cali Grill we might be a big under dressed (at least somewhat) - although that's something I'd love to do.

So where else could we eat a nice later lunch or dinner where the food is yummy (foodies in our bunch LOL) that it would be ok to attend in your park attire (meaning guys in long shorts- but probably not collared shirts, daughter in shorts or capris, me in capris/sandals but not a super dressy shirt for a park day that's going to be all day without a trip back to the resort that doesn't exist for us on this trip LOL)

This is our first time to go with Chris- so we don't want to cut it short to get back on the ship early enough to have dinner on the ship but I also don't want to just do walk up counter service food all day (in my experience it's not that good at all and way overpriced. We would prefer to pay more for a buffet or sit down lunch or dinner and for the atmosphere/service as well)

So any suggestions? I'm a bit behind on even what restaurants are even around anymore or anything new. Most likely we'll be hanging at Magic Kingdom the entire day but we could venture out to resort restaurants if necessary (similar to Cali Grill) but not something that might take hours to just get there and back by buses. What do you suggest?
2004 ASMU solo trip
2005 ASMO mom & kids trip (June-DD's birthday), ASSP mom & kids trip (Oct-MNSSHP)
2006 GF RPC & Disney "double scoop" cruise (family trip)
2008 Disneyland & EB Panama Canal Cruise (family trip)
2009 WDW @ FW & 7nt Western Cruise (family trip)
2010 DL (mom & kids road trip), WB TransAtlantic Cruise (family trip)
2011 DL & Wonder B2B repo & Alaska! (family trip), offsite WDW mom & kids trip
2012 DL Jan/Feb 2012 (w/friend), WDW/Fantasy 6/23/12 (family trip)
2013 Magic Galveston cruise (family trip), July DL (family trip)
2014 WB Panama Canal Cruise (family trip)
BibbidyBobbidyBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
Pakey

I'm not a rookie
I got 2 dogs. I joined the Dis.

BOG is not dressy; there is no dress code. The table next to us was a large group in jeans and bright yellow matching tees. You can't get much more casual than that.

I thought the food was decent for a casual in park restaurant. The building is gorgeous and it's a fun experience.

Ca Grill won't refuse you for wearing shorts and tees. I wouldn't be comfortable dining there in that attire but many do. It's closing for refurbishment though so I'm not sure if its available for your date.
Pakey is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-05-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
MeeskaMooshka
Earning My Ears

No dress code at BOG. Went opening day in a sweatshirt and jeans . It was great! Tony's Town Square in MK is always a fave.

My son tells people he lives at POP Century!
My daughter Says "Disney World" instead of "Hello"!
My Husband finally can't deny his love of the MOUSE!
I lost count of how many kids I have had to peel of my calf because of my Disney world tattoo!
A Month without a DW trip is way too long for this family!
MeeskaMooshka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 08:47 PM   #4
lilpooh108
DIS Veteran

I would go to Narcoossee's. You might be a bit underdressed but I don't think they'd refuse you. The food there is pretty good....lobster or surf & turf (and this is coming from a seafood lover). Pricey though if you're not on the dining plan. Skip the apps, I haven't been impressed yet.

It's in GF so you can monorail or take the boat there. Might be a nice way to end your day if you have a really late dinner.
lilpooh108 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
minnie mum
Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

I don't think you mention when you will be there. Be advised that Cali Grill will be closed through the end of August.

As previously mentioned, BOG does not require anything more than park attire. If you read this on an official Disney site, it was just 'advertising hyperbole'.

If your 'foodies' like things a little bit spicy, you might consider Sanaa at AKL. While the menu is a bit limited it is quite adventurous by Disney standards and the quality of the food is very good.
minnie mum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 09:57 PM   #6
BibbidyBobbidyBoo

DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pakey View Post
BOG is not dressy; there is no dress code. The table next to us was a large group in jeans and bright yellow matching tees. You can't get much more casual than that.

I thought the food was decent for a casual in park restaurant. The building is gorgeous and it's a fun experience.

Ca Grill won't refuse you for wearing shorts and tees. I wouldn't be comfortable dining there in that attire but many do. It's closing for refurbishment though so I'm not sure if its available for your date.
our cruise 8nts April 26th but I can't remember exactly which day is at WDW. I suppose I better look that up huh LOL

So I gather Cali Grill is gonna be closed....

From all the posts: well it's going to be end of April/beginning of May whatever day it is that we're in WDW (let me go look that up LOL) Okay so it's April 30th. Not sure what the weather will be that day for all of us to be there all day in full length pants or jeans... but if it's warm we won't be. Guys will be in shorts, I'll be in capris, and DD would be in shorts or capris- probably tees of some sort (regular tees or mine will probably be v-neck tee) and tennis shoes or flipflops. We'll have to go in what we'd be comfortable in ALL day from the moment the bus gets us there from the port until we leave later that night. Yanno? It's very different for me as I've never done one day before and never been unable to either take a bus back to our resort midday or anytime we wanted, or able to just drive offsite to eat or whatever.

And by foodie I meant want something that tastes good/good quality.. not that it has to be the fanciest thing in the world.. just not grabbing something at counter service which in my experience isn't the best at MK, but if I'm wrong about that let me know what's good and at what counter service. Also wouldn't want something that takes a LONG time to eat- that's eating into our one day there. I'd say a total of an hour and a half (or less) including wait for table and eating would be ideal.

not on the dining plan- it's just one day included with disney cruise we're on. But no time to go back to the ship (at port) to eat and want at least one good meal that day, the rest can be munching on snacks and such. And by the time we get back to the ship the only thing available will be room service which is quite limited and I'm sure they'll be super busy with everyone coming back and ordering room service. so we can't come back starving to death then wait forever to eat or end up just going to sleep without eating. Not that it's the greatest idea to eat before going to sleep anyway but I know I have sleep issues and a grumbling tummy that sometimes hurts because of ulcer isn't gonna help me sleep LOL

thank you for the ideas- if anyone else has suggestions lemme know!
2004 ASMU solo trip
2005 ASMO mom & kids trip (June-DD's birthday), ASSP mom & kids trip (Oct-MNSSHP)
Old 01-05-2013, 10:12 PM   #7
Princess_taffy05
Mouseketeer

Hi-
We just returned from Disney last month and anyplace you go to eat does not have a dress code except Victoria and Albert's. We wore jeans everyday! The restaurants pretty much expect patrons to show up in comfy, casual attire as many come to eat right from being at the parks. Disney would never refuse you for wearing shorts or capris!
As for dining recommendations sit down at or around MK: Citrico's or Narcoosee's at Grand Floridian, Ohana or Kona at the Poly, The Wave at Contemporary (we love Cali Grill, but will be closed when you are there). Inside MK for sit down: Be Our Guest is a great experience.
We also enjoy counter service and have had great meals at: Pecos Bill, The Lunching Pad and Columbia Harbor House.

I am going back to Disney for a business trip in February and I'm counting down the days!
Have a wonderful time!!
Old 01-05-2013, 10:28 PM   #8
Melodious
DIS Veteran

I don't think BOG is fancy and we thought it was very good. But the meal that really impressed us with Hollywood Brown Derby at DHS. We had several apps, including cobb salad, pork chop entree, several drinks, and a couple of desserts and the food, drinks, and service were absolutely surprisingly divine.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:32 PM   #9
Coconuts
DIS Veteran

We were on a Disney cruise last August that did the same thing. We decided we were starting the day at MK and ended up at Epcot. So we booked a 430 dinner at via Napoli, a new restaurant for us.

It was a long, exhausting, summer day and with kids in tow, I think we wished we would have just done a few CS during the day, and then something when we got back to the boat. Or maybe we should have done a TS for breakfast then have the rest of the day free to do whatever.

Good luck and have fun on your WDW day!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Old 01-05-2013, 10:47 PM   #10
partigus
Mouseketeer

one day?

yes, if you have one day- just spend it at the magic kingdom. BOG does not require fancy attire, and will likely be a decent, if not inspiring meal. There really are no great meals in the magic kingdom. There are great meals easily traveled to from the mk- Citricos, Narcoses, and victoria and alberts are all a monorail ride away at the grand floridian, the wave and California grill (if open) at the contemporary, the poly's Kona cafe and ohannas- while not haute cuisine are nice choices, and just a relaxing boat ride away is Artist Point at the wilderness lodge!

If the magic kingdom isn't the main goal...then go to epcot...you could easliy skip a formal meal and snack (and maybe drink) your way around the world showcase!!!! or make a reservation in Paul Boscue's, or for a great steak }the Canada pavillion Le Cellier, or a short walk away the Yachtsmans steakhouse, or Don Shula's steakhouse over in the Dolphin hotel...also at the Dolphim=n is Todd English's Bluezoo, and at the neighboring Swan an outlet of on of NY's best italian places Il Mullino....Walk a bit more around cresent lake to Disney's Boardwalk and you have the chance to eat with an Iron Chef...Kat Kourinnas "kouzinna" serves great Mediterranean flavors!
2010 Contemporary (5)
2009 Beach Club Villas (6)
2008 Wilderness Lodge (5)
2005 French Quarter (7)
2004 Wilderness Lodge (2)
2004 Marriott World Center (2)
2003 Polynesian (4)
1996 Port Orleans (4)
1992 Off Site (2)
1988 Grad Night (1)
1988 Naval Training Center (1)
1987 Grad Night (1)
1987 Naval Training Center (1)
Several family day trips- early 80's (4)
Trips to Fort Wilderness Campgrounds in early 70's (?)
partigus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 12:48 PM   #11
BibbidyBobbidyBoo

DIS Veteran

Well I gotta figure something out.
We're not planning on park hopping- eats up too much of our time for that one day.
Cali Grill isn't open then.
BOG shows NOTHING available -no times at all for that day- for April 26th. That's just on the my disney experience app- has anyone experienced that showing no openings yet calling they were able to get an ADR?
I fear that probably a LOT of people on the cruise booked that restaurant- probably a lot on the cruise are only doing MK that day LOL Ugh so bummed! What else is there? We've done the restaurants at GF and Poly and honestly weren't that fond of them (except for the character themed meals at 1900 Park Fare but the kids are too old to pay for it just for the characters LOL)
sigh
2004 ASMU solo trip
Old 01-07-2013, 01:09 PM   #12
smiths02
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BibbidyBobbidyBoo View Post
We're not planning on park hopping- eats up too much of our time for that one day.
BOG shows NOTHING available -no times at all for that day- for April 26th. That's just on the my disney experience app- has anyone experienced that showing no openings yet calling they were able to get an ADR?
I fear that probably a LOT of people on the cruise booked that restaurant- probably a lot on the cruise are only doing MK that day LOL Ugh so bummed! What else is there? We've done the restaurants at GF and Poly and honestly weren't that fond of them (except for the character themed meals at 1900 Park Fare but the kids are too old to pay for it just for the characters LOL)
sigh
You know that BOG is a counter service for lunch, right? You get to dine inside the castle and food is brought to you after you order at a kiosk. It maybe not "foodie" enough but is a step above other counter service from reviews
2003 (AKL), 2009 (AKL), 2011 (CBR- room), 2015 (AoA-Cars Suite)
smiths02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:21 PM   #13
LindaBabe

DIS Cast Member
Let them try to get me out - heheh

Quote:
sigh
Liberty tree tavern lunch or dinner. doesn't have characters.

The Wave in the Contemporary.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:43 PM   #14
ValDawg
Earning My Ears

Quote:
sigh
Yep, my DH and I just recently booked a trip with my parents for April 6-13th and we started looking for BOG ADR's....some days had absolutely nothing and others had one time 9 pm! We currently have an ADR at 9 pm for a party of 5 on 4/10. We're all adults, so we would rather eat late than miss out! Good luck, maybe just keep looking and something else will pop up?? That's my plan too haha!

1985-1999 (Childhood trips!!) 2001-AS Sports 3/2008-ASMu 5/2009-OKW 5/2011-ASMu Disneymoon- 8/2012-BC ! 4/2013-BWV 8/2013 Anniversary Trip SSR10/2013 AKV 1/2014 AKV 3/2014 Birthday Trip! AKV 10/2014 OKW Upcoming 1/2015 BFF Bday Trip CSR 4/2015 Late Bday Trip BWV
ValDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 04:58 PM   #15
BEASLYBOO
It's part of the charm
They go through some serious mayo there

Liberty Tree for lunch only, I do not care for dinner there! BOG for lunch & dinner (had a great experience in Nov) The Wave for dinner, we finally tried it in Aug and we all liked it! When you say you don't want to park hop, would you consider taking the monorail to GF, Polynesian, etc., maybe something is available at some of those resort restaurants!

February 15th -18th, 2014 - OKW-GV
BEASLYBOO is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: