Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Theme Parks Attractions and Strategies
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-10-2013, 01:53 PM   #61
LisaTC
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFan2013 View Post
All these bad reviews for Stitch kind of make me want to try it out. I wouldn't advise anyone to skip anything without knowing much about you, but I personally did not enjoy the following:

Space Mountain- I like roller coasters but this one was way too jerky for me.

Buzz Lightyear- Probably fun for kids but there weren't any in my group.

Astro Orbiter- Boring.

Tomorrowland Speedway- Boring and the overwhelming gas fumes during the entire ride were not pleasant.
DD and DH went on Space Mtn and said the exact same thing. I didn't do it because I have Meniere's & issues with flashing lights and jerkiness and was concerned. Glad I didn't, they said it was awful. But there are those that LOVE it. Tmorrowland Speedway was disappointing to our gang, too. Didn't repeat that one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol97 View Post
Looks like that you are skipping a lot of rides for a trip that cost so much money to do and go on these rides. Some people are listing a lot of rides that I would just never skip out on!! I would strongly suggest that you go on youtube and google each ride that you are unsure of, watch a few minute segment then determine if it's your thing or not. I do this with alot of the rides, especially ones I think might be to dark or scary for my little kids. Good luck!! and Enjoy!!!
I'd have to agree with this for sure. While there's only so much time, our goal was to try as much as possible. On our first trip, we did things simply because they were there & to see what they were like. WE knew some things would be geared toward the very young. Our DD was 7. It's Disney. We did small world, Winnie, Peter Pan (I still like it) However, none of us have ever done Teacups...can't afford to barf at the World!

You will discover your own likes. I have to laugh reading this post because some things surprised us after having been on the Dis reading as well. We liked Carousel of Progress & PeopleMover. It's a good chance to take a break. We liked the Paddleboat, too, for the same reason. Love the railroad ride around MK. All good to soothe your sore puppies.

There's still things we haven't had a chance yet to try. RnR & Everest, for example. Yet, only a few things we wouldn't ride/experience again. Tomorrowland Speedway, as mentioned above, stinky, hard to manipulate and kind of a snoozer. Dinosaur in AK (I liked it, DD didn't, DH's phone came off his belt, but CM's found it) Conservation Station/Affection Station at AK was ok once. I grew up on a farm & worked in Vet Science for years, so it was ho hum to me after about 5 minutes. In DHS - Tower of Terror - I know perish the thought. If it dropped as if truly crashing down without the up and down business, it would be much more fun & less nausea inducing!

For what it's worth, we always ride Spaceship Earth at Epcot - gets panned a lot on the Dis, we love it. Love Soarin', some think it's hype. LOVED test track, omigosh. Saw Turtle Talk once and it was ok, but for us once in a while is enough. We like Maelstrom in Norway, some think it's "eh..." Liked visiting all the countries and seeing their shows, etc.

In AK we loved Kali Rapids. DH & DD when on Primeval Whirl after not having gone on it before and liked it fine. It honestly is to each his own.

We live in Amusement park zone - Cedar Point and Kings Island are close, so I don't relegate the rides at Disney to that genre. I like the shows/attractions equally as much as the rides at WDW. In the end, it really only depends on what your family considers to be entertaining. Only you know that.

For us...wouldn't miss:

EP - Living in the Land - very educational & research cooperation with USDA Spaceship Earth, Maelstrom, Soarin', TestTrack, anything in World Showcase is worth at least a peek. Love pick a pearl in Japan (got twins) Just love walking around WS. Love, Love, Love it.

AK - Festival of the Lion King - just awesome, the end. Kali, Safaris (in the am only) Tough to be a Bug was great fun.

DHS - was surprised I liked TSM, thought it would be hype, but it was fun. Wouldn't wait 300 minutes for it, but it was fun w/a Fastpass. Liked Mermaid, too. Liked just walking around DHS. Not a whole day park for us, though.

MK - love Splash, BTMRR, even liked the new Barnstormer - it's a very short ride, but fast, considering those who are 34 inches can ride it. We didn't do Swiss Family Tree house last time because of it getting panned, but did this time and it was fun. DD liked it. I ordered The Swiss Family Robinson for her when we got home. That's the Disney part of all of this. There is a THEME.

I'd pick your own favorites...don't listen to us!

LisaTC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 03:49 PM   #62
CaliBear
DIS Veteran

I love love LOVE some of the rides people are saying to skip. It's A Small World is my favorite ride ever and I would never skip Jungle Cruise or Winnie the Pooh either. Being a kid again is the point of going for me.

The two that I won't redo on my upcoming trip are;
- The Great Movie Ride- DFi fell asleep on this so if he wanted to try again I would, but I wouldn't choose it myself.
- American Idol- loved hearing the brave volunteers singing, but the judges' banter and host segments were just too long and cheesy. I'd rather just go to a karaoke bar, I guess.

I also won't wait two hours for Toy Story Mania. We can get on it under 30 minutes at DCA. I honestly don't get the lines for it at DHS.
Resort stays: DLR Grand Californian Jan 2011, HKDL Hollywood Hotel July 2011, WDW Wilderness Lodge Jan 2012, DLR Paradise Pier and MNSSHP Oct 2012, AKL Jan 2013, HKDL Hotel and Halloween party Oct 2013

2014 Book Challenge 19/30 read
1. David and Goliath 2. The Eye of the World 3. A Firing Offense 4. Fire from Heaven 5. The Gordonston Ladies Dog Walking Club 6. Orphan Train 7. A Most Peculiar Malaysian Murder 8. The Rosie Project 9. The New Centurions 10. The Black Echo 11. The Hall of Elders Crossing 12. Secrets of the Tudor Court 13. Al Capp 14. The Witch Doctor's Wife 15. The Headhunter's Daughter 16. The Yard 17. The Dinner 18. The Magicians 19. The All-Girls Filling Station's Last Reunion 20. The Golem and the Jinni

Currently reading: The Brief and Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz
CaliBear is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-10-2013, 05:32 PM   #63
doug74
Mouseketeer

Quote:
To be your first time, you sure are skipping a lot of rides
Considering the general consensus, the U tube videos I've seen, and the little time we have for each park (1 park a day), I'm not losing any sleep over it, or feel like I won't have "done" Disney if I miss It's a Small World..

I'd rather do things we'll actually like more than once, and not be rushing all over the place..

Last edited by doug74; 01-10-2013 at 05:39 PM.
doug74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:06 PM   #64
KittyyKattyy
**Mythical Beast**

I honestly really like The Land ride!

KittyyKattyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 06:34 PM   #65
cuchu2005
DIS Veteran

These are the attractions we usually skip. Not because we hate them or something, but nothing seems to be lost if we don't do them:

- Stitch (we actually hate this one);
- Astro Orbiter;
- Universe of Energy;
- Capt EO;
- Laugh Floor (bear in mind our two DDs don't speak English, still for me not the greatest thing);
- Turtle Talk (Same commentary that previous);
- American Idol;
- Treehouse.

Again, not suggesting to skip them, but these are the ones we usually leave out of our touring plan.

Mx
Jul 1994 - WDW with Mom and Dad and Sister - Feb 1999 - WDW with DW to be - Mar 2000 - WDW with DW to be - Apr 2002 - Disneyland Paris with DW on Honeymoon - Jan 2008 - Discovered the Dis - Feb 2008 - WDW with DW and first DD (2) and on my Bday. - May 2009 - WDW with DW and first DD (3) - Sep 2010 - WDW with DW and DD (4) and DD (9mths) - Feb 2011 - WDW with DW and DD (5) and DD (1) - Nov 2011 - WDW with DW and DD (6) and DD (1) - Feb 2012 - DLR with DW and DD (6) and DD (2) - Feb 2013 - WDW with DW and DD (7) and DD (3)
cuchu2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:01 PM   #66
Mom2darlingboys
Mouseketeer

I really dislike only a handful - that I entirely avoid:

- Country Bear Jamboree (my ears felt like they were bleeding)
- Astro Orbiter (hardest ride to get in and out of, spinny)
- Captain EO (Worst. Movie. Ever.)
- Mission Space Orange (too spinny)
- Dinosaur (loud, startling, and way too much jostling)
- Primeval Whirl (too spinny)

And... I wouldn't be sad if the rumours of Lights, Motors, Action leaving the parks in favour of something new were to come true. Seen it three times... stick a fork in me, I'm done.

And at the risk of starting an uproar , I'm pretty sure we've done our last MNSSHP. Love the parade and fireworks, but the crowds are ridiculous. And, you just can't see many characters any more. It's not really a ride, but I had to put it out there.

More time for the things we love to do, which is pretty much everything else!

And, sorry, off topic, but where the heck did this smiley come from - has he always been there? Ode to Luna Park!

May 2008 POFQ - May 2009 POFQ - May 2010 CBR - October 2011 POR - September 2012 BWV - February 2013 BC/Poly - December 2013 POR - May 2014 POR/POLY

Mom2darlingboys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:22 PM   #67
LovinPooh
DIS Veteran

The treehouse and tiki room.
LovinPooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 10:35 PM   #68
Julie711
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise18
Stitch's Great Escape - one and done for me.
This!!!

Me DH DD(6yrs)DS(2 yrs)

9/06- CBR- Honeymoon/ 4/10- CBR- 1st Family Trip/ 8/10- CBR- Family & Grandmom Visit/ 5/11- CBR/ 2/12-AKL- Kid Free Trip For My B Day!/ 11/12- BWV- 1st Christmas Visit 4/13-DL-DH Birthday Trip Kid Free/ 9/13-WLV

Julie711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:49 AM   #69
rlilly79
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFan2013

All these bad reviews for Stitch kind of make me want to try it out.

I wouldn't advise anyone to skip anything without knowing much about you, but I personally did not enjoy the following:

Space Mountain- I like roller coasters but this one was way too jerky for me.

Buzz Lightyear- Probably fun for kids but there weren't any in my group.

Astro Orbiter- Boring.

Tomorrowland Speedway- Boring and the overwhelming gas fumes during the entire ride were not pleasant.
The trick for not being "jerked around" space mountain is to ride in the very front or very back. The middle will kill you lol
rlilly79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 12:59 AM   #70
rlilly79
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug74

Considering the general consensus, the U tube videos I've seen, and the little time we have for each park (1 park a day), I'm not losing any sleep over it, or feel like I won't have "done" Disney if I miss It's a Small World..

I'd rather do things we'll actually like more than once, and not be rushing all over the place..
I think they are addressing the OP who has 10 days at the parks, not 1 day
Old 01-11-2013, 01:35 AM   #71
mfd25wife
DIS Veteran

There are few we don't do:
Captain EO
Speedway-that's some minutes I can never get back in my life.
Astro Orbiter

Laugh Floor really is cute since the jokes are different and the audience participation makes it funnier.

It's a small world to me is a must do because it just screams disney world to me. I've ridden it every visit except one when it was down for maintenance. Exciting? no. But, it's cute and one of the rides I remember from my youth.
mfd25wife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:03 PM   #72
doug74
Mouseketeer

Quote:
I think they are addressing the OP who has 10 days at the parks, not 1 day
??

No, no.. We have roughly 1 day per park. We are there from Jan 16 to 22, have 5 day MYW tickets (no hoppers), and plan to fit in Universal and a waterpark day, so that gives us 1 shot at each park, and one more time at whichever one we like the best..

It's not ideal, but the kids have school, I have work.. So if I'm going to have any hope of avoidng a Bataan death march I have to whittle mercilessly..
doug74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:10 PM   #73
shannieboo27
Earning My Ears

The Tiki Birds

We did this one on my trip about a month and a half ago and I was almost bored to tears. Such an awful attraction.
shannieboo27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:16 PM   #74
shannieboo27
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerFaninIL
If I ever decide to sit through Country Bear Jamboree again I'd like for someone to smack me upside the head.
Couldn't agree more! That and Tiki Birds
shannieboo27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2013, 03:42 AM   #75
rlilly79
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug74

??

No, no.. We have roughly 1 day per park. We are there from Jan 16 to 22, have 5 day MYW tickets (no hoppers), and plan to fit in Universal and a waterpark day, so that gives us 1 shot at each park, and one more time at whichever one we like the best..

It's not ideal, but the kids have school, I have work.. So if I'm going to have any hope of avoidng a Bataan death march I have to whittle mercilessly..
?? Yes yes the OP (original poster) was herfnerd, not you so I think many of the post concerning the time there was being directed to them not you

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: