Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts
 
facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read





Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 03:09 PM   #16
pilesoflaundry
it doesn't get scratched as often as I like
 
pilesoflaundry's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: wherever the army sends us, currently the desert
Posts: 2,758

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine View Post
It's not Yelp's fault!!! It's people.

You are learning that there are many people who would be pleased as punch eating a well seasoned bottom of a shoe!!

In my office, six of us can go to a luncheon and there is one girl in our crowd who ALWAYS thinks the food is wonderful. Generally, that luncheon food is pretty bad. We have another girl who dislikes mostly everything. I have been amazed at what people consider to be good food. Some people just love buffets because they can eat a lot. They don't overly care for the quality.
I agree.

I find the same problem with recipe sites or pinterest reviews. I have come across so many recipes with rave reviews or multiple repins and I try and it's just gross.
__________________
-Jackie

My knight in shining armor turned out to be a soldier in combat boots.

WDW June 2008, 2009x2 June and Sept., Sept. 2011
DL and DCA June 2013
pilesoflaundry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:31 PM   #17
tvguy
Sailed on:The Mermoz, Norway, Nordic Prince, Sovereign of the Seas, Amsterdam, Magic & Pride of America
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Carmichael, California
Posts: 17,617

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartMickey View Post
Yes, there were 9! All giving 4 or 5 stars. I don't know if it's because I'm from NY and used to pretty good food, but I'm not a food snob! It was just really bad!
Or it's because you're from New York and haven't had pretty good food. Not meaning to be sarcastic, but that statement makes my point. Food is subjective, what's good for someone else may not be good for you, and vis versa. Around here the Urban Spoon and Yelp reviews tend to be about the same. Generally speaking, if a restaurant has been around a while, it's probably good. Bad restaurants don't last....heck even good restaurants have a tough time staying open more than about 7 years.

I always read the reviews, and consider them, but I am willing to try new places.
I treat Yelp and Urban spoon just like Consumer Reports, interesting information, but not always my view point. Last 3 cars I bought had things CR downgraded them for, and each case, they were things that I found were really usefully, and handy.
__________________
tvguy is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Join Date: 1997
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 1,000,000
Old 01-09-2013, 03:33 PM   #18
Christine
Would love to be able to sit on the couch for a few days, get a good book, and do NOTHING!
Considers the DIS as Bladder Training 101
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Northern Virginia
Posts: 23,680

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvguy View Post
I treat Yelp and Urban spoon just like Consumer Reports, interesting information, but not always my view point. Last 3 cars I bought had things CR downgraded them for, and each case, they were things that I found were really usefully, and handy.
Good example.

I bought a baby stroller once--a Consumer Report Best Buy. Worst stroller I ever owned!
__________________
Christine

Vacation Home - Indian Creek - July 2012
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - July 2009
Vacation Home - Terre Verde Resort - Easter 2007
Shades of Green - June 2005
Vistana Resort - May 01
Shades of Green - May 99
Shades of Green - Apr 97
CBR & Shades of Green - May 95
Christine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:53 PM   #19
IheartMickey
I have not been blessed by the tag fairy!
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Central FL
Posts: 1,067

It's not like I'll never use Yelp again, but this time I won't trust the reviews as much as I did.

And I've eaten in some great restaurants in Manhattan. I know good food! Il Mulino, Carmine's, Cafeteria, and many others that have been around awhile.

I do think the Chinese food in FL is just drastically different. I cannot judge whether its a good or a bad thing because I think it's one of those things where if you grew up eating a certain food that tastes one way, and you taste it made another way it doesn't seem "right".

It's like the Chicago vs New York pizza argument.
IheartMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:02 PM   #20
Mariep26
DIS Veteran
 
Mariep26's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 723

Sort of off topic but this made me think of the elderly lady in some rural city who wrote the review of the new Olive Garden as if it were the best thing since sliced bread!! It was a hoot. I had to go find it.. so funny!!
http://thestir.cafemom.com/food_part...ives_the_olive
__________________
June 2010 - Swan & Dolphin, March 2012 - ASMo Toy Story room, December 8-15, 2012 - AoA Cars Suite, Feb 25 - Mar 1, 2013 - BLT LV Studio, May 9-13 - AoA Cars Suite, August 19-23, 2013 - BLT TPV Studio - Jax's 5th Birthday!!! - Nov 2-9, 2013 AoA Nemo - Oct 18-25, 2014 - Presley's 5th Birthday @ SSR 2brdm!!
Me: Marie, DH: Neil, DS: Jax , DD: Presley, D?: Baby #3 Due 12/20/14
Mariep26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:11 PM   #21
IheartMickey
I have not been blessed by the tag fairy!
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Central FL
Posts: 1,067

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariep26
Sort of off topic but this made me think of the elderly lady in some rural city who wrote the review of the new Olive Garden as if it were the best thing since sliced bread!! It was a hoot. I had to go find it.. so funny!!
http://thestir.cafemom.com/food_part...ives_the_olive
I loved that! They actually had her as a guest judge on Top Chef this season.
IheartMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:40 PM   #22
shoney
DIS Veteran
 
shoney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 2,355

Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartMickey View Post
It's not like I'll never use Yelp again, but this time I won't trust the reviews as much as I did.

And I've eaten in some great restaurants in Manhattan. I know good food! Il Mulino, Carmine's, Cafeteria, and many others that have been around awhile.

I do think the Chinese food in FL is just drastically different. I cannot judge whether its a good or a bad thing because I think it's one of those things where if you grew up eating a certain food that tastes one way, and you taste it made another way it doesn't seem "right".
It's like the Chicago vs New York pizza argument.
I couldn't help but think a NY'er eating Chinese in Central Florida!

Unless we are in a major city, we usually avoid Italian and Chinese!
shoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:48 PM   #23
IheartMickey
I have not been blessed by the tag fairy!
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Central FL
Posts: 1,067

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoney

I couldn't help but think a NY'er eating Chinese in Central Florida!

Unless we are in a major city, we usually avoid Italian and Chinese!
Forget about Italian here! I'm Italian, I've eaten Italian food my entire life. I tried having chicken parmigiana on a hero here and they used chunks of grilled chicken! Omg, it was horrible.
IheartMickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
GET OUR DIS UPDATES DELIVERED BY EMAIL



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:48 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Copyright © 1997-2014, Werner Technologies, LLC. All Rights Reserved.