Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #1
nvrenoughdisney
Mouseketeer

Where to book cruise? Disney Cruise website?

We are just starting to consider a cruise and I'm wondering where everybody books their cruise. Is it all through the Disney website or is there a better (i.e., cheaper) alternative? Thanks! Just trying to become more educated!
Old 01-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
newdismom
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrenoughdisney
We are just starting to consider a cruise and I'm wondering where everybody books their cruise. Is it all through the Disney website or is there a better (i.e., cheaper) alternative? Thanks! Just trying to become more educated!
I am sure other , more experienced, disney cruisers will have a better perspective than I buy I booke our upcoming dcl cruise through disneys website. My regular travel agent couldn't beat thier price and was actually more expensive. We are sailing out of galveston on the magic in 3 weeks on the kids sail free promo.
newdismom is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-08-2013, 08:32 PM   #3
myxdvz
DVC - BLT

You can book thru the site or thru agencies.

DCL doesn't really let travel agencies discount their tours so they will all have the same price (or worse).

If you've already booked thru DCL, you CAN transfer it to a TA. Some provide better perks than others. You can get either additional OBC or if with Costco, cash cards.

Since we're with Costco, we go with cash cards. I've scouted other TAs and their OBCs are less than what Costco is giving.

*Note: you can only transfer your booking IF you haven't paid in full yet. Note too that some TAs give more OBC if the original booking is thru them vs a transfer.
Dec 2006 - X DLR / May 2010 - XY WDW, ASMo / March 2011 - XYZ DVC/DCL (AKV, Dream, OKW, Hilton) / Jan 2012 - XYZ DLR, PPH, VGC / June 2013 - WXYZ WDW, BCV/BWV / Oct 2013 - HKDL / Nov 2013 - WXYZ WDW/BLT/WBC, DCL/Magic / Mar 2014 WDW/OKW /
June 2014 HHI

myxdvz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 09:58 PM   #4
luvndizny
Mouseketeer

We booked ours through DreamsUnlimited...we got the OBC Disney was offering PLUS an additional OBC with DU for a combined total of $250. :-) Also...should you decide to book another cruise while onboard, you can usually get even better deals and still switch the booking to your travel agent of choice again. For instance, we went on a 7 night Caribbean cruise in Mar/April 2011. While on board, we booked another 7 nighter during Christmas this past year and it would have been less than the initial trip! (Christmas trips are pretty much, if not, the most expensive cruises.) I say would have been but we had to cancel the trip due to hubby getting military orders for us to move which we had to do over the holidays. So if while you are on this upcoming trip and decide to do it again:1) book while on-board 2) book as early in the trip as possible to avoid the longer lines. :-)
luvndizny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:06 AM   #5
nvrenoughdisney
Mouseketeer

What is OBC?
Old 01-09-2013, 07:27 AM   #6
GoinPlaces63
Mouseketeer

You can use the Disney Cruise website or Small World Travel. The latter gives huge room credits... Which can be used to pay for Palo or Remy depending upon the ship, shore excursions, gift shop purchases, etc. we've used both and are fine either way.

Once you've cruised you are able to reserve on the ship with an additional discount.
GoinPlaces63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:31 AM   #7
Summerl30
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrenoughdisney View Post
What is OBC?
on board credit.

Its a credit to your account that you can only use onboard for things like excursions, spa, photopackages, drinks, extra dining, basically it gets applied to your account onboard so it can be used to pay off anything that can be put on your credit while you are on the ship (even gratuities)
Summerl30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:37 AM   #8
stsomewhere
DIS Veteran

We book through DCL because we like to have control of our reservation.
If you book through a travel agent, all changes have to go through them. DCl won't talk to you.
stsomewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 07:46 AM   #9
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nvrenoughdisney View Post
On our first Disney cruise we booked with a local Travel Agent that answered all of my questions but did not offer any kind of perks at all. This time around I did research and currently have 2 Disney cruises booked with Dreams Unlimited. Beth is our agent and she is great about answering any questions I have and very quick to make any changes that I want. We are also receiving significant onboard credit for both sailings that I can use to purchase things onboard such as adult dining, excursions, drinks, souvenirs, pay gratuities, spa, etc. The service is more important than the OBC and so far I have received great great service. As a PP said, Disney does not allow TAs to offer discounts on their cruises so what you see on the Disney site should be the same price you see everywhere but if you want perks and great service I would use a great TA.
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:00 AM   #10
nishijb
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweis

On our first Disney cruise we booked with a local Travel Agent that answered all of my questions but did not offer any kind of perks at all. This time around I did research and currently have 2 Disney cruises booked with Dreams Unlimited. Beth is our agent and she is great about answering any questions I have and very quick to make any changes that I want. We are also receiving significant onboard credit for both sailings that I can use to purchase things onboard such as adult dining, excursions, drinks, souvenirs, pay gratuities, spa, etc. The service is more important than the OBC and so far I have received great great service. As a PP said, Disney does not allow TAs to offer discounts on their cruises so what you see on the Disney site should be the same price you see everywhere but if you want perks and great service I would use a great TA.
As a first time cruiser, I am curious what kind of changes you make after reserving your cruise. I reserved my trip through DCL and it was my understanding that if I transferred my reservation to a TA, that I would still have access to my reservation in the DCL website to make on-board reservations, sign the kids up for the kids club, and make excursion reservations... Is this correct?
nishijb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:30 AM   #11
jahber
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishijb

As a first time cruiser, I am curious what kind of changes you make after reserving your cruise. I reserved my trip through DCL and it was my understanding that if I transferred my reservation to a TA, that I would still have access to my reservation in the DCL website to make on-board reservations, sign the kids up for the kids club, and make excursion reservations... Is this correct?
Yes, you can book excursions and make reservations for on the ship. But things like requesting a dinner rotation or a different room or trying to apply a kid sail free discount (for example) must go through the TA. Also, you process payment through the TA, although some TAs allow you to pay DCL directly somehow (or so people here have reported). I've used a TA 2 times just for the perks and because it provides jobs in the travel industry, so why not? Of course, my last TA messed up my ressie, so I'll be shopping for a new TA!
Dream 4-night Bahamas 5/12
WDW too many times to count!
jahber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 09:34 AM   #12
mmouse37
Mickey for Me!
Likes surprises

Please remember to use the ful URL of any website you are posting about to ensure the board filter can do its job properly.

Obviusly Dreams Unlimited we know is not a banned site since it is the sponsor of these boards but any other website must have the full URL posted. If you use the full URL and it comes up ********* that means it is a banned site and NOT to be posted creativiely to get around the board filter on the main boards or through PM. Thanks.

www.smallworldtravel.com

MJ
Disney Dream - 5 times - Official Maiden Voyage January 26, 2011
Disney Fantasy - 2 times

mmouse37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:05 AM   #13
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishijb View Post
Yes, this is correct. Even though I am booked through a TA, I will be able to go online and book excursions, adult dining, kids clubs, etc. when my booking window opens and after I am paid in full. So many people say that you give up control using a TA but I disagree. Any changes I want made I simply let Beth at Dreams Unlimited know and she takes care of it for me. For example, last week we decided we wanted to change categories and wanted a specific room on our upcoming Fantasy sailing, I simply emailed Beth told her the changes I wanted and she took care of it within a matter of hours. The only difference is she was the one on the phone with Disney instead of myself.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:51 AM   #14
madelyn
DIS Veteran

First time cruiser and just booked on-line myself through Costco travel. For our family of 5 booked a 4 day from Galveston for December in 2 inside cabins. For the approximate $4K we are spending, we will get $310 in Costco cash cards (Costco gift cards) AFTER we cruise. I did a lot of my own research and felt comfortable booking w/out talking to an agent.
madelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:25 PM   #15
tweis
DIS Veteran

It's really not a matter of it being difficult to book your cruise or not. To me having a TA means having someone there to help take care of any situations or problems that may arise, 24 hours a day. If you have a problem while on your cruise and have a TA, they are most likely going to be able to help you with it. As to whether you use Dreams Unlimited or someone else is entirely up to you, no one has a lower price. If you want the gift card that a PP mentioned then obviously you would need to book with them. However, if you want OBC then I would recommend Dreams Unlimited or another TA that offers higher OBC. If you aren't interested in OBC or gift cards, or anything else then I would recommend booking directly through DCL and not transferring to a TA. Like I said, booking it yourself is not difficult, you just don't get any of the perks.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: