Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 12:57 PM   #1
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Off the Dream Sunday - daugher diagnosed with the flu type A on Wed

My wife just took my daughter to the doctor and found out she has Type A flu and a fever of 103. We flew home from MCO on Sunday. I'm guessing she got the flu on the ship as she started feeling bad the last day of the cruise and has gotten progressively worse.

So is there any reason to notify DCL or is it "too late" since it's she is back out at sea now with different passengers?
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Rogillio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:04 PM   #2
Four Swampers
Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas

It might be nice for you to let DCL know. It would not be required, nor should it really make much difference. They clean the ship like crazy. The problem is that whenever you get a lot of people in one place, germs get shared. For Influenza, germs get shared through the air, and you can't clean the air.

Since it is flu season, you can be certain that 20 or more passengers who are on the Dream right now brought onboard their own case of the flu, as did 20 or more on the Fantasy, on the Magic, the Wonder, every ship in RC, Carnival, NCL, Princess, your child's school, the school next door, the junior high, the high school, church, synagogue, temple, the grocery, and everywhere else that has people.

So you do not have any moral obligation to report this, but you could if you wanted to do so.

I'm a pediatrician, by the way.
Four Swampers is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2013, 01:05 PM   #3
PrincessShmoo
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post
My wife just took my daughter to the doctor and found out she has Type A flu and a fever of 103. We flew home from MCO on Sunday. I'm guessing she got the flu on the ship as she started feeling bad the last day of the cruise and has gotten progressively worse.

So is there any reason to notify DCL or is it "too late" since it's she is back out at sea now with different passengers?
I guess you could still tell DCL. While the incubation period for the flu is generally about 2 days, it can be up to 4 days, so it may be possible that she actually was exposed prior to getting on the ship.

Otherwise, how was the trip?

13 Cruises, 8 ships, 124 nights
Panama Canal; Alaska; Med; WB Transatlantic; Mexican Riviera; Hawaii; Baja CA; Bahamas; Eastern/Western Caribbean

DL too numerous to count WDW 1974, 1983, 1985, 1989, 1991, 1997, 2001, 2008, 2014 Tokyo DL 1984
PrincessShmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:09 PM   #4
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Swampers View Post
It might be nice for you to let DCL know. It would not be required, nor should it really make much difference. They clean the ship like crazy. The problem is that whenever you get a lot of people in one place, germs get shared. For Influenza, germs get shared through the air, and you can't clean the air.

Since it is flu season, you can be certain that 20 or more passengers who are on the Dream right now brought onboard their own case of the flu, as did 20 or more on the Fantasy, on the Magic, the Wonder, every ship in RC, Carnival, NCL, Princess, your child's school, the school next door, the junior high, the high school, church, synagogue, temple, the grocery, and everywhere else that has people.

So you do not have any moral obligation to report this, but you could if you wanted to do so.

I'm a pediatrician, by the way.
Thanks. I sent DCL as quick note letting them know.
WDW 4/98, Yellowstone 6/99, 4-day Bahamas DCL 6/00, Washington DC 6/01, WDW 1/02, Scotland 6/02, Alaska 6/03, 7-day Caribbean DCL 6/04, 4-day Bahamas DCL 1/05, WDW 1/05, Universal 3/05, Norway 6/05, NYC Waldorf-Astoria 10/05, Snowshoe, WV 12/05, China Adventure 3/06, WDW 6/06, Copper Mountain, CO 12/06, 11-day DCL Med Cruise 5/07, 4-day Bahamas DCL 10/07, 7 Day NCL cruise - Hawaii 7/08, Door County, WI 7/09, Snowshoe WV, 12/09, 12-day DCL Baltic cruise 6/10, 7-day Caribbean HAL 12/10, WDW 6/11, 5-day Dream NYE 12/11, 7-day Canadian HAL 6/12, 3-day Dream Jan 2013, 4-day Dream Feb 2013, 5-day CCL NOLA, 7 days hiking in the Himilayans, Katmandu, Nepal 5/14 7-day RCCL 7/14
Old 01-09-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
kriswin1
Earning My Ears

this is a fear of mine that we get the flu on the trip. the last time one of my kids got the flu, three yrs ago, it turned in pneumonia. we leave in 9 days for an 8 day trip out of Galveston. i am bringing Lysol spray, Lysol wipes (to clean phones, faucets and door handle) and a lot of hand sanitizer. i wonder if they have tamiflu on board and antibiotics?
kriswin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:37 PM   #6
Rogillio
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriswin1 View Post
this is a fear of mine that we get the flu on the trip. the last time one of my kids got the flu, three yrs ago, it turned in pneumonia. we leave in 9 days for an 8 day trip out of Galveston. i am bringing Lysol spray, Lysol wipes (to clean phones, faucets and door handle) and a lot of hand sanitizer. i wonder if they have tamiflu on board and antibiotics?

We have sailed on 12 cruise for a total of 72 days and this is the first time anyone has ever gotten the flu. Hmmm, wait.....my wife did get food poisoning once time years ago.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:43 PM   #7
Lisa Lisa
DIS Veteran

I'm sorry to hear that your DD is sick, Rogillio, and I hope the rest of your family manages to stay healthy! I've heard that particular strain is particularly nasty. Did she get a flu shot or the FluMist? I've heard that this year's shot/mist is effective against the strain currently going around, but I'm not sure how accurate that information is.

Disney Dream ~ February 12-16, 2012
Disney Fantasy ~ March 23-30, 2013
Disney Dream ~ September 1-5, 2013 * Trip Report: Living the Suite Life on the Dream ~ Sept. 1-5, 2013
Disney Fantasy ~ April 19-26, 2014
Lisa Lisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 01:49 PM   #8
sayhello
Have Camera, Will Travel

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa Lisa View Post
I'm sorry to hear that your DD is sick, Rogillio, and I hope the rest of your family manages to stay healthy! I've heard that particular strain is particularly nasty. Did she get a flu shot or the FluMist? I've heard that this year's shot/mist is effective against the strain currently going around, but I'm not sure how accurate that information is.
I've heard the same thing. This is the worst flu outbreak in 10 years (plus it started earlier than usual). But the flu shot for this year targets this strain of flu, so should help.

Sayhello
sayhello is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:19 PM   #9
Silverfox97
PLATINUM Castaway Club

We got off the Fantasy Dec15th & DH brought home the flu. I was unaffected because I got the flu shot, which he's never had. He was awfully sick & it drug on & on. Guess what he's getting next year?!?!?

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

2016 Wonder Jan Southern ~ 2015 Magic June 11n Norway/Iceland; Dream Oct 4n ~ 2014 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Magic Oct Southern/B2B repo ~ 2013 Fantasy Mar Eastern; Dream Oct 4n; Oct Magic B2B ~
2012 Feb Dream & Fantasy x2 June Eastern, Dec Western ~ 2011 Magic x2 Jan 5n DD, Oct Western ~ 2010 Wonder Aug 5n DD ~ 2005 Fairytale Wedding @ GF Wedding Pavilion & 3n Wonder
Silverfox97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:21 PM   #10
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by kriswin1
i wonder if they have tamiflu on board and antibiotics?
Antibiotics won't help with flu because it's viral, not bacterial.
Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:55 PM   #11
chrismartinique
Mouseketeer

Quote:
and also.... they clean like crazy but its not the touch things in order from clean to dirty like we do in medicine. They clean toilets wearing gloves then retouch clean surfaces like counter tops and door knobs. My stateroom person was cleaning a bathroom next door with gloves then went into his clean linen cart with the the same gloves. Oh it hurst my head to notice those things. You just gotta try to not dwell and keep your own hands clean.

OP I was on the same cruise. We are all healthy, but I thought of the germ load constantly. I was down at guest services paying my bill late on the last night. A lady came down to guest services saying one in her party had a bad GI situation - horrible vomiting and I was thinking get me in that protective bubble. She was asking if there was an outbreak and the attendant said no one else reported any type of illness. Like Four Swampers said though, I'm sure many got on board with health issues they did not report.

Hope your daughter feels better quickly.

Last edited by chrismartinique; 01-09-2013 at 04:04 PM.
chrismartinique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:05 PM   #12
Four Swampers
Picture is Disney Wonder at Cabo San Lucas

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrismartinique View Post
and also.... they clean like crazy but its not the touch things in order from clean to dirty like we do in medicine. They clean toilets wearing gloves then retouch clean surfaces like counter tops and door knobs. My stateroom person was cleaning a bathroom next door with gloves then went into his clean linen cart with the the same gloves. Oh it hurst my head to notice those things. You just gotta try to not dwell and keep your own hands clean.

OP I was on the same cruise. We are all healthy, but I thought of the germ load constantly. I was down at guest services paying my bill late on the last night. A lady came down to guest services saying one in her party had a bad GI situation - horrible vomiting and I was thinking get me in that protective bubble. She was asking if there was an outbreak and the attendant said no one else reported illness. Like Four Swampers said though, I'm sure many got on board with health issues they did not report.

Remember, influenza is largely spread through the air. You can sterilize the ship with bleach, radiation, and lasers, and the moment you let the passengers on, your work is meaningless. If you must stay healthy at all costs, stay home and have someone sterilize your food and your mail before they slip it through a slot next to the door.
Four Swampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:18 PM   #13
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Quote:
.... You can sterilize the ship with bleach, radiation, and lasers, and the moment you let the passengers on, your work is meaningless.....
True though.
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:43 PM   #14
chrismartinique
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Remember, influenza is largely spread through the air. You can sterilize the ship with bleach, radiation, and lasers, and the moment you let the passengers on, your work is meaningless. If you must stay healthy at all costs, stay home and have someone sterilize your food and your mail before they slip it through a slot next to the door.
infection control nurse here
Contact is too a major way to spread. Clean hands #1 way to prevent illness to oneself. No I don't irradiate, bleach and sterilize my life. Obviously I wouldn't have a job if I did. I do think they should be taught correct way to clean. Clean to dirty. You touch the toilet, you don't touch the next thing until clean gloves. Do everything you can to break the chain. I walked into a bathroom right by the buffet restaurant, opened the toilet and there was puke in it. I thought, oh boy, if one of the restroom attendants comes to clean this toilet, then they touch the counter top or door handle without changing gloves, well, whats the point. It looks clean, but it is not!
chrismartinique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:57 PM   #15
MND
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogillio View Post

I'm sorry to hear that. I hope she gets well soon. Otherwise, how was your crusie?

Mike
MND is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: