Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Photography Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 10:11 AM   #1
Cinbride
Mouseketeer

Thought about not taking my new mark iii

With 3 little ones, trying to enjoy our vacation, I have thought about not taking my newest gear for multiple reasons including what if something happens to it. I thought about taking my p&s and t2i instead, then regret started.

Suggestions? Anyone know of any type of cover I could put on while its on my neck to protect it from banging around?

Thanks
Cinbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 11:55 AM   #2
traylorc
DIS Veteran

Just my two cents....but I believe WDW is one of the most photogenic places on the planet. So personally, I want my best camera with me when taking pictures. I don't want to find myself in a situation where I take a shot, and then when I get home I find myself saying I wish I would have had my other camera. That being said, I realize that each of us has our own issues to consider when making this decision.

As I have progressed in my photography hobby and purchased additional equipment, I found it necessary to get it insured. Having insurance is a huge relief and provides comfort in the event something happens to my camera.

I utilize a Black Rapids camera strap...which I love. IMHO it's a comfortable strap that does not "dig" into my neck. But I also carry my camera bag with me, that way I can put my camera way when going to various rides.

Good luck!
traylorc is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #3
photo_chick
Knows a little about a lot of things, a lot about nothing.

I can't imagine not taking my current DSLR. But I take it pretty much everywhere anyway. I have heard many people say they go with just a p&s and are very happy, so it's all about what you want to do.

Get a policy with your homeowners or renters insurance to cover your gear. That takes out the worry if something happens to it.

As far as covers... I use a Lenscoat Bodybag. They make them to fit just the body or the body and a lens. Best money I ever spend on camera accessories.

Who are these students and why are they calling me teacher?

photo_chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 12:38 PM   #4
havoc315
DIS Veteran

You have the good gear for a reason... Not to sit on a shelf.
That said, to me the big reason to avoid taking the full dSLR gear to Disney, is if you don't want to be weighted down by it. But that applies equally to the t2i.

I've done both -- Taken dSLR with lenses to Disney, and gone with just a compact -- but a high quality compact, the Sony RX100. So I enjoyed being able to take relatively high quality photos, without constantly changing lenses, without having the extra bulk.. just a small camera that slipped into my pocket.

But if you value photography --- and it appears you do -- then I wouldn't let fear of damaging equipment, prevent you from bringing your best equipment. Going light-weight, with 3 little kids.... can certainly be a consideration, with a lot of advantages. But if you think you would regret not having the better pictures, then take the good camera!
havoc315 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 02:15 PM   #5
Frantasmic
*crickets*
I just tell everyone I'm the CPIC for the day

YOU deserve it all, actually. You should have a carefree vacation AND have great photos. So, just send me an airline ticket and a room reservation (I can stay value) and I'll follow your family with your new camera and take pictures. FREE OF CHARGE EVEN!!!
Old 01-09-2013, 02:50 PM   #6
Gianna'sPapa
DIS Veteran

Everyone's photographic expectations are different. For me, photography is a major component of the trip. If you are already bringing the T2i, what is the major difference to bringing the Mk iii, a little bulk? If you have it insured, I don't see what the difference would be except the opportunity to have slightly better images due to the higher ISO usability of the FF and the wider field of view. I would bring the Mk iii. Of course I bring a lot of gear to WDW!

WDW Camera Equipment 2011 by Terry McGraw Photography, on Flickr
Gianna'sPapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:26 PM   #7
SrisonS
... and that's 'ess-ryzun-ess' (play on my name) ;)

How about bringing the MKiii, but just use one lens a day?!?! I only have one little one; so I can only imagine how it could be with 3. So not having to switch lenses is a good thing; especially if you won't have time to really deal with that. Plus, I believe the MKiii is pretty rugged. But even there, Disney isn't really the type of place where you have to worry too much about your camera getting truly damaged.
SrisonS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 03:37 PM   #8
BirdsOfPreyDave

DIS Veteran

If you have a bag that's big enough to carry all three to Florida, at least do that. Then you can make day-by-day decisions about what you want to carry with you. As others have said, photography is a big part of what I love to do on WDW trips. I'd want to have my best gear available. However, it the forecast is for a total rain-out, I'll leave the DSLR in the room and just take my waterproof P&S.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:03 PM   #9
Cinbride
Mouseketeer

thanks. oh yeah, its insured. I just know how heavy it is, with the little ones and wanting to just enjoy the vaca.

BUT
Yeah, I'm already regretting not taking it. So, I'm sure it will be with me. IF it is truly a pain then away it goes.
Cinbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:32 AM   #10
AndrewWG

DIS Veteran

My 2 cents would be a little different than everyone else I guess. Although I understand the difference between a t2i and a 5dmiii, Is it THAT much of a difference to you? Also, what are your priorities of a vacation? Do you want it to be a photo trip or a fun family trip? With 3 little ones running around, how much time will you have to spend taking the perfect photo with a 5dmiii that cannot be taken with the t2i or a p&s for that matter? Perhaps I am just getting old , but I am leaning toward enjoying the vacation MORE than worrying that I have the right gear shlepped around the parks to get that one or two fantastic photos that may result from it. You truly do remember the times spent with the family much much longer than the perfect photo of the castle and fireworks that you shot.

That being said, if you have a day or evening that you can be free from the kids and go into the parks for photo purposes only, I would suggest bringing the best gear you have.

My Photo of the Day Blog

Sadly, the Fantasy Thanksgiving cruise is now over. What a great time! Check out the slideshow here: My DCL Fantasy Cruise Slideshow
AndrewWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:00 PM   #11
DSLRuser
Age is a state of mind

most cameras are way more durable that you think. Especually when go go to anything above entry level.

Sports and wildlife photographers, time life field guys, are always out in remote areas banging around.

Why invest in all this great gear if you are affraid to use it. If it breaks, repair or replace it. but dont not use it out of fear.
Port Orleans FQ x3
Coranado Springs
Caribbean Beach Club
Contemporary Resort
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yacht Club
Polynesian Resort
<<Disney Wonder>>
Marriot Sable Palms x 4
Marriot Royal Palms x 4
Bonnet Creek x 3
Marriot Cypress Harbor x 2
Marriot Grande Vista
DSLRuser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:01 PM   #12
DSLRuser
Age is a state of mind

and if you have a mark iii....thats one of the most durable cameras made. that thing is almost bullett proof.
Port Orleans FQ x3
Coranado Springs
Caribbean Beach Club
Contemporary Resort
Animal Kingdom Lodge
Yacht Club
Polynesian Resort
<<Disney Wonder>>
Marriot Sable Palms x 4
Marriot Royal Palms x 4
Bonnet Creek x 3
Marriot Cypress Harbor x 2