Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-06-2013, 07:02 PM   #1
MonoMan
Mouseketeer

First Cruise with Kids - Questions

We are sailing on the Dream next month to celebrate the 8th birthday of two boys (both first time cruisers). I would love some advice regarding a few things:

1. Should we give the kids the ability to charge? Typically we do not because they are never without one of us when they need to make a purchase; however, with the Oceaneer's Club allowing some independence I want to make sure if there is a need for it they have it.

2. At the Oceaneer's club is there is a place for them to leave a "bag" or backpack if they have one with them? Is a bag even needed?

3. Unrelated to the kids - where do your purchase the multi-day RainForest pass?

Thanks in advance!
MonoMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:17 PM   #2
ColoradoDisneyFreaks
DIS Veteran

Having sailed with both of mine at that age, I'll let you know what we did, for 8, I think that's a bit too young to charge. There's nothing that happens in the club that they would need to charge, and at that age, ours didn't carry their KTTW cards. They didn't have check-in/check-out priviledges, so had no need for a card.

As for bags, they don't have cubbys or a specific place to keep bags, and the kids don't really have a need for a bag. They could be doing some craft projects, but nothing that would require a bag.

As for rain-forest room passes, I know you'll be able to get them at the spa, but you can also check on the DCL site under your cruise to see if they let you purchase them as an additional activity.
Register to remove

Old 01-06-2013, 07:22 PM   #3
MonoMan
Mouseketeer

Thanks so much!
Old 01-06-2013, 10:22 PM   #4
ruadisneyfan2
DIS Veteran

jmho, we didn't give ds16 charging privileges until around 2 yrs ago. ds12 still does not. I think it depends on the child and his/her level of self control. A friend of mine with 3 kids (boy,girl,boy) let her oldest charge as a teen but even when her daughter got to that age, she it would be dangerous. It's easy to add privileges at GC if you change your mind and feel it's needed but I don't see why it would.
Before I let ds then 14 charge, he wanted popcorn while waiting for the show to start in WD Theater. I handed him my card and sent him up for some. I told him to come get me if they don't let him. He returned with popcorn. Probably would be a different outcome if he were spending more in a shop.
Old 01-07-2013, 09:24 PM   #5
MonoMan
Mouseketeer

Typically I wouldn't even have thought about giving them the ability charge. I just wanted to make sure that they wouldn't miss out at something in the Oceaneer's club because I didn't give them the ability to make purchases.

Thanks so much for information!!
Old 01-07-2013, 09:37 PM   #6
Four Bears
Mouseketeer

All club activities are free. For example, if you buy a smoothie (with or without alcohol) at the pool deck there is a charge. If there is smoothie night at the clubs, they are free. The only thing that I can think of that may be a charge is the arcade. I believe the arcade is only in the tween club, not the kid's club.

Disney Magic 2010 Eastern Caribbean
Disney Magic 2012 Western Caribbean
Disney Fantasy 2013 Western Caribbean
Counting down to Disney Fantasy Eastern Caribbean

Four Bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 09:44 PM   #7
stacecakes
loves acquiring info as much as fastpasses!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Four Bears View Post
A The only thing that I can think of that may be a charge is the arcade. I believe the arcade is only in the tween club, not the kid's club.
And i've heard that even if they do the "invade the arcade" program, they set the machines to free play mode so that wouldn't cost either. I do agree that this seems to be tweens rather than the club/ lab.
stacecakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:02 PM   #8
kcashner
DIS Veteran

There is never a charge for anything that happens in the programming. If they have a smoothie party, everyone there gets a free smoothie. If they do "make your own t-shirt", everyone gets a free shirt. It the tweens "Invade the Arcade," the machines are set to free play for that hour. There is no need for money in the programming at all.

Likewise, unless needed to carry medication, an epi-pen, or something similar, there is no need to take any sort of bag or backpack into the programming. Best case, it comes home in one piece. Worst case, it is lost or stolen. It is simply not needed. It isn't like school where home/stuff may be miles away. Anything they need is right down the hall and mom can be called.

Multi day rainforest passes are sold in the spa. Single day passes are available on line in advance.

Last edited by kcashner; 01-07-2013 at 10:08 PM.
kcashner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 10:57 PM   #9
buglady11
Earning My Ears

program guide?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stacecakes View Post
And i've heard that even if they do the "invade the arcade" program, they set the machines to free play mode so that wouldn't cost either. I do agree that this seems to be tweens rather than the club/ lab.
Does the daily calendar of events include a schedule for the kids club/ tween room? I am wondering how much time my 11 year old twins will want to spend there vs. with us. My ds would definitely want to go to the arcade and my dd would love the t-shirt type activities.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:02 PM   #10
jlynch924
Mousin' Around

Quote:
Originally Posted by buglady11

Does the daily calendar of events include a schedule for the kids club/ tween room? I am wondering how much time my 11 year old twins will want to spend there vs. with us. My ds would definitely want to go to the arcade and my dd would love the t-shirt type activities.
Yes... The Navigator lists the activities by time for each club, as well as family and adult activities. Take a highlighter so you can highlight the times your kids want to be in club or doing other activities. Have fun!!

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards
Old 01-08-2013, 08:51 AM   #11
My 2 princesses
Can't Wait To Go Back...I've Been Bitten By The Bug:)

Thanks to OP for asking this question. We are doing our first trip and my kids are young, so definitely no charging priviledges. BUT, they would be too scared to take anything thinking there would be a charge for it. Now I can explalin to them and with the use of the navigator I can even tell them what's free and what's not.

Jan 31st can't get here soon enough
Old 01-08-2013, 11:07 AM   #12
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buglady11 View Post
As PP mentioned, yes the Navigator will show what activities are offered each day and at what time. Something to keep in mind...at 11, your kids will be allowed choice of the EDGE or the Club/Lab. Slight possibility they can do both but don't expect it. If they might be interested in the EDGE, they should attend the planning session on the first evening as that is when the group determines what activities they want to do. If the group on your cruise tends to be older and/or there isn't interest in those types of activities, your kids may prefer the Club/Lab. You can also try checking out Navigators from previous cruises similar length/destination as yours to get an idea of what activities might be offered in each area.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 10:09 PM   #13
buglady11
Earning My Ears

Edge or Club/Lab - charging options

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
As PP mentioned, yes the Navigator will show what activities are offered each day and at what time. Something to keep in mind...at 11, your kids will be allowed choice of the EDGE or the Club/Lab. Slight possibility they can do both but don't expect it. If they might be interested in the EDGE, they should attend the planning session on the first evening as that is when the group determines what activities they want to do. If the group on your cruise tends to be older and/or there isn't interest in those types of activities, your kids may prefer the Club/Lab. You can also try checking out Navigators from previous cruises similar length/destination as yours to get an idea of what activities might be offered in each area.

Enjoy your cruise!
I was glad to see the post from the OP because my 11 year old twins are special needs and developmentally delayed. It is a relief to hear that they can do kids' activities without wanting money all the time. I especially appreciated the suggestions of an arcade limit prepaid.

I feel like my kids really need direct supervision and are not responsible enough to check themselves in/out. Is this an option for the EDGE or Club? I guess I need to research the options more. Thank You
Old 01-08-2013, 10:39 PM   #14
buglady11
Earning My Ears

navigator found and very helpful

Quote:
Originally Posted by lanejudy View Post
You can also try checking out Navigators from previous cruises similar length/destination as yours to get an idea of what activities might be offered in each area.

Enjoy your cruise!
This was very helpful- it took a little hunting to find a recent trip similar to ours but I am getting a better picture now. Thanks
Old 01-08-2013, 11:39 PM   #15
erinsmom03
Mouseketeer

I seem to be in the minority, but I plan to give DD9 charging privileges. She has her own Disney gift card and savings of her own to spend. She is very responsible with money, but I will be sure to set a limit on her charging privileges. I'm pretty sure I saw that I will be able to do that in the online check in area.
She is responsible with money because we give her the chance to be in charge of her own money, and it also helps curb the gift shop gimmies! If she can afford it, she can have it...if not...

WDW offsite 1978 RCCL 1996 RCCL 1997 WDW offsite 1998 RCCL 1999
Poly 2008 Poly 2009 FQ/BC 2011 Poly/Fantasy Western Caribbean 2013
Cabana Bay/Universal/Magic Bahamas 2014

erinsmom03 is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: