Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Trip Reports > Completed Trip Reports
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2013, 09:27 PM   #211
KCmike
Never have fallen asleep on any attraction
Nothing wrong for dreaming for sure

Love the installment. Funny about the Husband and the Castle shot. Can't wait to hear more!

2014 Boston/Cape Cod/Martha's Vineyard
2013 Disneyland Christmas
2013 WDW, Universal, and SeaWorld with the kids and their High School Marching Band Event
2012 Back to Disneyland for a late June/Early July Vacation|2011- WDW Grand Floridian/Port Orleans Riverside |2010 - Disneyland/Monterey 20th Anniversary Day trip and 1st time to see Christmas at any park (BWPPI) 2010 - Disneyland (Grand Californian) |2009 - Disneyland/San Francisco/Monterey/ Yosemite National Park (Disneyland Hotel) |2008 - Disneyland/San Diego (Hotel Del Coronado & Hojo) |2007 - Disneyland (Fairfield Inn) |2006 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |2004 - WDW - Port Orleans Riverside |1996 - WDW - Dixie Landings |1993 - WDW - Offsite |1992 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee |1990 - WDW - Condo in Kissimmee

Gear:Canon 60d, Canon xti, and a few lenses
Old 02-15-2013, 10:51 PM   #212
jenseib
Mommy to Claire

Gorgeous pictures! I lover your small world ones. They are so clear. Well most of yours are clear anyway, but something about the small world ones is just beautiful.
I love that boat ride over to WL. I often forget too that you have to go over a road. Most of the time I don't even realize it.
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-16-2013, 04:17 PM   #213
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCmike View Post
Love the installment. Funny about the Husband and the Castle shot. Can't wait to hear more!
Thanks Mike! More to follow soon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenseib View Post
Gorgeous pictures! I lover your small world ones. They are so clear. Well most of yours are clear anyway, but something about the small world ones is just beautiful.
I love that boat ride over to WL. I often forget too that you have to go over a road. Most of the time I don't even realize it.
Thanks Jen! I'm sort of *gasp* bored with shooting Small World every time we go now, so it was fun to try something different.

We'll probably go to Sanibel Island sometime this summer after Timmy graduates. He's not a big Disney guy, so it's killing me to think of getting so close to Disney but not stop. I'm wondering if he and Drew would like to take some jet skis out in the lagoon while Katie and I go to the MK one day.

My little brain keeps thinking up little schemes to make a stop there. Then I add up just what that one day stop would cost....... sigh. It is possible I might have to just wave as we drive right on by.....
Old 02-16-2013, 04:39 PM   #214
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Friday December 7th continued:

I had debated endlessly back and forth about Whispering Canyon Cafe. Our dining plan hadn't started yet, and they had recently changed the menu so that the all-you-can-eat skillet was the only dinner option. At around $33 a head, that didn't excite me with Katie included as an adult. But we just never seem to get there, and this was a good opportunity, so we gave it a go. I'm so glad we did. We were there a little early, so took the chance to look around the resort. It was absolutely gorgeous, and I can absolutely see why so many people love it. Fortunately it was early in the trip, so I had the energy to climb the stairs to the top floor and take all the photos I wanted of that gorgeous lobby. It felt like I was right back at the Grand Californian taking photos of that lobby on our trip west in 2010.

IMG_7373 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_7384 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_7388 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_7389 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_7393 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_7406 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_7412 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_7427 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_7430 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_7435 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_7442 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_7454 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_7463 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_7465 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_7475 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_7479 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_7486 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

Next we were on to dinner. Now let me just say that Katie has never met a bottle of ketchup she didn't love. A lot. But Katie is 12 and embarrasses easily. So I really wasn't sure about our dinner plans. But we were there..... so in we went.

IMG_7364 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

As I mentioned, our dining plan hadn't started, so I asked the waitress if Katie could order off the kids menu. She said sure, as long as she didn't also share form our skillet. Katie was happy since she wanted a hamburger anyway. And that's when it dawned on me that I was glad the waitress said yes. Without that hamburger, Katie would not have needed to ask for the............... KETCHUP! LOL. Actually, it wasn't as funny as it sounded. She didn't ask for it and get surprised. It was more of a slow gag. She saw the other kids around the restaurant ask for ketchup and have to endure everyone staring and laughing. I just kept telling her it was a shame she was going to have to eat that hamburger and fries dry. Eventually she caved and was showered with .......... KETCHUP!

IMG_7367 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_7370 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

After checking it all out, we headed back to the boat dock and headed for the Fort. Try as I might, I could not get a clear shot of the Contemporary in the low light from a moving boat:

IMG_7491 by mom2rtk, on Flickr
Old 02-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #215
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Friday December 7th Continued:

Our timing was great. We had a few minutes to shop around the trading post and buy a few pins and the toothbrush Drew had forgotten to pack. Soon it was time for our 7 PM carriage ride. It had been warm that afternoon, but by evening it cooled off and it was nice our driver had some blankets in the sleigh. The campers displays were wonderful, and I'm glad I finally got to see the spectacle for myself.

One of my greatest reservations about taking the carriage ride was how hard it would be to photograph low light scenes from a moving carriage. I was right, it was indeed a challenge. But the enjoyment of the ride really made it worthwhile and I highly recommend it to anyone there during the holidays. Very unlique and enjoyable.

IMG_7493 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_7494 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_7498 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_7507 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_7510 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_7512 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_7517 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_7522 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_7525 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_7531 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_7535 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_7537 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_7539 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_7547 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

When we got back to AoA, we picked up our park tickets (the ones the CM at the MK printed there remotely by accident) without incident. We were helped by a trainer who was really very good, apologized for the hassle, and issued us another "any attraction" fastpass to use the next day at Animal Kingdom. And the "manager" who had failed to help us that morning was still there close by the entire time, but didn't say a word.

I apologize in advance if I post far too many photos of this tree. It's so pretty I just couldn't help myself!

IMG_7553 by mom2rtk, on Flickr

IMG_7554 by mom2rtk, on Flickr
Old 02-16-2013, 04:52 PM   #216
rachel09985
DIS Veteran

Great photos of the tree in the Wilderness Lodge.

That is the first picture i have seen of the tree in AoA! It is pretty and definitely fits the resort. I wish It was a bit bigger/wider though. Was it small on real life or just in the photo?

Dining Review December 2011 Dining Review June 2011 Dining Review December 2010 TR Nov 2012 Dining Review Nov 2012
1998- Dixie Landings 2005- Pop/Saratoga Springs 2008- Pop Century 2009- Pop Century 2010- Pop Century 2011 Pop Century x2! 2012 Art of Animation
Old 02-16-2013, 04:57 PM   #217
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel09985 View Post
Great photos of the tree in the Wilderness Lodge.

That is the first picture i have seen of the tree in AoA! It is pretty and definitely fits the resort. I wish It was a bit bigger/wider though. Was it small on real life or just in the photo?
Thanks! The AoA tree did strike me as a little on the small side. I think the one at the Pop was a lot bigger. And also had a photo op Christmas chair. I would have liked to see the same at AoA. But that white...... really made up for it. I just love white trees.

Maybe it couldn't be any bigger because of the light fixture?
Old 02-16-2013, 07:42 PM   #218
rachel09985
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2rtk View Post
Thanks! The AoA tree did strike me as a little on the small side. I think the one at the Pop was a lot bigger. And also had a photo op Christmas chair. I would have liked to see the same at AoA. But that white...... really made up for it. I just love white trees.

Maybe it couldn't be any bigger because of the light fixture?
I remember that photo opp chair at POP! That was a nice size tree.

The light fixture probably did get in the way. It is a pretty tree!

Dining Review December 2011 Dining Review June 2011 Dining Review December 2010 TR Nov 2012 Dining Review Nov 2012
1998- Dixie Landings 2005- Pop/Saratoga Springs 2008- Pop Century 2009- Pop Century 2010- Pop Century 2011 Pop Century x2! 2012 Art of Animation
Old 02-17-2013, 08:38 AM   #219
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel09985 View Post
I remember that photo opp chair at POP! That was a nice size tree.

The light fixture probably did get in the way. It is a pretty tree!
I loved that chair too. We took photos in that chair many days when we were on our way out.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:00 AM   #220
shan23877
I make lists about my lists

YOu got some great photos at WL!

So glad that Katie wasn't too embarrassed by the ketchup incident.

The sleigh ride sounds like a lot of fun! I think if we ever get there at the holidays we'll have to put that on the list.
Old 02-17-2013, 10:52 AM   #221
lvcourtneyy
DIS Veteran

I adore the pictures of WL! I'm glad you decided to take the time to add it to your day. Looks like you had an awesome time.

We didn't do many ADRs on our last trip and I was super hesitant to try to do them at other resorts because I heard horror stories about using WDW transportation but it looks like it'd be worth it! Oh well, something new to explore next time.

Love the family pictures on the Sleigh ride. And your shots from it. Looks like you were up to the photo challenge!

Trip Reports In Progress:

Ooo I'm really scaredd! A Sept 13 TR!
Excuse me, your child can NOT go on stage with Mickey: a January 2013 TR!

Completed: We both got real jobs, now we can go to Disney: Sept 2013 PTR
July 2000: GKTW Village// January 2012 offiste// January 2013 Pop Century// September 2013 Pop Century

Follow me on Instagram: @courtneyeliizabeth
Old 02-17-2013, 11:31 AM   #222
francis6306
DIS Veteran

Ooh I wanna talk about my WCC experience! But I need to wait, since I haven't gotten there on my TR!!!

July '14 Girl's Trip!! PTR

Mar 2014 PTR ~ Nov '12 PTR~'Dec '10:My Pretrip Report My Trip Report!~'05 Girls trip Pop Century~
'99 Magical Music Days~81-90's Various offsite/onsite trips
Old 02-17-2013, 11:39 AM   #223
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by shan23877 View Post
YOu got some great photos at WL!

So glad that Katie wasn't too embarrassed by the ketchup incident.

The sleigh ride sounds like a lot of fun! I think if we ever get there at the holidays we'll have to put that on the list.
I was glad she was a good sport about it. It turned out to be just a ton of fun. I do think her face turned as red as the ketchup though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lvcourtneyy View Post
I adore the pictures of WL! I'm glad you decided to take the time to add it to your day. Looks like you had an awesome time.

We didn't do many ADRs on our last trip and I was super hesitant to try to do them at other resorts because I heard horror stories about using WDW transportation but it looks like it'd be worth it! Oh well, something new to explore next time.

Love the family pictures on the Sleigh ride. And your shots from it. Looks like you were up to the photo challenge!
In looking back I can't believe I ever considered ditching the WL part of that day. It was a great addition to our "firsts" list on this trip.

Thanks for the kind comments on the photos. I would still love to visit the Fort and see the decorations by golf cart one day, so I could get off and take better shots, but would have definitely missed missed out if we had missed the sleigh ride. Our driver was really friendly and we all chatted the entire way through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by francis6306 View Post
Ooh I wanna talk about my WCC experience! But I need to wait, since I haven't gotten there on my TR!!!
What an awesome teaser! And great motivation for me to get caught up again!

Last edited by mom2rtk; 02-18-2013 at 08:40 AM.
Old 02-18-2013, 09:06 AM   #224
deannaf87
Mouseketeer

Subscribing! I read your other trip reports this weekend and really enjoyed them. The dresses you make are amazing and Katie is so beautiful. It really makes me smile to see a pre teen girl rocking the princess dresses and not trying to grow up too fast.

P.s. totally jealous of your evil queen costume.

Disneyland- June 2003-CL at Disneyland Hotel
WDW - March 2013 - Shades of Green
Planning for November 2015...going through the exciting process of picking a resort

ATTENTION: TR IN PROGRESS You need superglue for WHAT??? A Bloody Magical First Time Trip Report!
Old 02-18-2013, 11:43 AM   #225
mom2rtk
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by deannaf87 View Post
Subscribing! I read your other trip reports this weekend and really enjoyed them. The dresses you make are amazing and Katie is so beautiful. It really makes me smile to see a pre teen girl rocking the princess dresses and not trying to grow up too fast.

P.s. totally jealous of your evil queen costume.
out of lurkdom!

Thanks for the kind words.

Stay tuned for a little more Evil Queen action......... although with a different twist this time!

Last edited by mom2rtk; 02-18-2013 at 12:00 PM.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: