Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-04-2013, 10:07 AM   #1
JERME81
Do what you like, Like what you do

1st Disney Cruise, 1st time booking with Dreams

I just booked my first Disney Cruise for next year and I also booked the first time using Dreams Unlimited.

I am surprising my partner for his 40th birthday/our ten years together/our one year civil union anniversary. I have until August 4th to give this to him.

Our sail date is Sept 28 for a 4 night cruise aboard the Dream. I booked a cat 5E stateroom on the aft end of the ship on deck 10.

Our cruise experience is limted. The only cruise we have been on was in April of 2012 on the Celebrity Millennium. It was lacking to say the least. We were on the last cruise before the ship went into an extensive dry dock. They were also working on the ship the entire time we were on it. They blocked off parts of the ship for some of the work they were doing prior to dry dock. It almost felt like they gave up on the ship since they knew it was going into dry dock.

My partner said he would never cruise again unless we gave DCL a try. So I'm hoping this will be a much better experience.

Long story short, I'm super excited to surprise my partner with the cruise for next year. I hope he is as excited to go as I am.

AKV June 2014-can't wait!!
SSR January 2014
Allstar Vacation Home May 2013 & BWV Sept 2013
POR/AKV October 2012
CSR October 2011
POR/BCV November 2010
CSR April 2010
AKL September 2005, 2008, 2009
CBR December 2004
Disneyland Hotel March 2001
Offsite 1986
JERME81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:25 AM   #2
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERME81 View Post
I just booked my first Disney Cruise for next year and I also booked the first time using Dreams Unlimited.

I am surprising my partner for his 40th birthday/our ten years together/our one year civil union anniversary. I have until August 4th to give this to him.

Our sail date is Sept 28 for a 4 night cruise aboard the Dream. I booked a cat 5E stateroom on the aft end of the ship on deck 10.

Our cruise experience is limted. The only cruise we have been on was in April of 2012 on the Celebrity Millennium. It was lacking to say the least. We were on the last cruise before the ship went into an extensive dry dock. They were also working on the ship the entire time we were on it. They blocked off parts of the ship for some of the work they were doing prior to dry dock. It almost felt like they gave up on the ship since they knew it was going into dry dock.

My partner said he would never cruise again unless we gave DCL a try. So I'm hoping this will be a much better experience.

Long story short, I'm super excited to surprise my partner with the cruise for next year. I hope he is as excited to go as I am.
We love DCL and I'm sure you and your partner will also.
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-04-2013, 10:35 AM   #3
antlawn
Mouseketeer

Congrats!!!

What a lovely way to celebrate your years of commitment to each other

Have only sailed twice, both DCL, both on lower decks and found NO reason to complain. Have read that there is "some" noise from Cabanas,(deck 11) when they clean. Tables and chairs being moved and such. Hope this doesn't interfere with your trip.

Enjoy your experience
antlawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 11:16 AM   #4
su_A_ve
DIS Veteran

Also, if the captain backs in the ship (typically in CC and Nassau), then you'll hear the rumbling of the thrusters.
'13 (5n Wonder), '13 (POR Xmas), '13 (3n Magic Post Xmas), '14 (CSR SWW)

°(((=((===°°°(((===========================================
su_A_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:14 PM   #5
mecllap
"Skamps"
Hugh Jackman -- major beefcake!
Once a DIS Sleuth, Always a DIS Sleuth

So, your only problem is the same one I have! It's too far away! I booked my first DCL on the Dream for my 70th birthday Nov. 2014 and am already trying to figure out a way to take one sooner! He will be so excited! You will have a super wonderful time. I know a gay couple about your age who have been on a few DCL trips and they absolutely love them. My last cruise was on Celebrity; it was great, but a little on the dull/quiet side.

Congratulations!
mecllap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:22 PM   #6
JERME81

Quote:
Originally Posted by su_A_ve View Post
Also, if the captain backs in the ship (typically in CC and Nassau), then you'll hear the rumbling of the thrusters.
Yes I have read that on the boards about the room being loud when the ship backs into port. I'm not that worried about it since when we are on vacation we tend to not sleep in. I am also not worried about the noise from the buffet above our room, again, we are get up early anyway.

SSR January 2014
POR/AKV October 2012
CSR October 2011
POR/BCV November 2010
CSR April 2010
CBR December 2004
Offsite 1986
Old 03-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #7
JERME81

Quote:
Originally Posted by mecllap View Post
So, your only problem is the same one I have! It's too far away! I booked my first DCL on the Dream for my 70th birthday Nov. 2014 and am already trying to figure out a way to take one sooner! He will be so excited! You will have a super wonderful time. I know a gay couple about your age who have been on a few DCL trips and they absolutely love them. My last cruise was on Celebrity; it was great, but a little on the dull/quiet side.

Congratulations!
Happy early Birthday!!

Thanks for your kind words!!

My biggest issue is going keep this a secret until August when I tell him for his b-day.

SSR January 2014
POR/AKV October 2012
CSR October 2011
POR/BCV November 2010
CSR April 2010
CBR December 2004
Offsite 1986
Old 03-04-2013, 01:23 PM   #8
JERME81

Has anyone ever booked their cruise via Dreams Unlimited Travel? This is my first time using them. I normally book my own trips to WDW but since I never cruised on Disney I wanted to use them. Plus I got a shipboard credit for booking with them.

SSR January 2014
POR/AKV October 2012
CSR October 2011
POR/BCV November 2010
CSR April 2010
CBR December 2004
Offsite 1986
Old 03-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #9
Scillycruisers
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JERME81
Has anyone ever booked their cruise via Dreams Unlimited Travel? This is my first time using them. I normally book my own trips to WDW but since I never cruised on Disney I wanted to use them. Plus I got a shipboard credit for booking with them.
We booked our 2nd and 3rd cruises with DU because of the OBC and just named them as TA when we rebooked onboard. We have not booked our pre-cruise WDW stay with them yet as we have been able to get a better deal for this part through the UK Disney site for some reason. However have always got quotes from them to compare and no pressure when we said we had found it cheaper elsewhere. Also DU has always booked our cruise transfers for us on the DCL bus. We have always found them very helpful and prompt when we had requests / questions.
Old 03-04-2013, 01:48 PM   #10
Donald_Quackers
Quacktastic!

Quote:
I booked my last two cruises through Dreams and they are awesome! Hope you have a great trip!

Apr '12 -- Disney Fantasy 7 Nights
Dec '10 -- Disney Magic 7 Nights/4 nights @ POFQ
Dec '08 -- Disney Wonder 4 Nights/2 nights @ Pop Cent. / Dec '07 -- Coronado Springs
Dec '04, '05 / Oct '03 -- Off Site/Vacation Home
Sleep Apnea diagnosed June 2012
Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah...Tip for Today!
Donald_Quackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #11
Jareds_mommy
DIS Veteran

SOoooooo how are you going to tell him? You can have mickey call him it is part of the cruise, you will get that option when you do your 45 day check in online,
We have 2 cruises booked back to back in April one with Dreams and one on our own, just to compare the 2, so far the only big difference is we want to pre pay our gratuities and direct with disney I can pay it to them, the one with dreams I have to use them to do it, other then that so far there has been no difference between the 2

Jareds_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 02:28 PM   #12
Meghatron
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jareds_mommy View Post
SOoooooo how are you going to tell him? You can have mickey call him it is part of the cruise, you will get that option when you do your 45 day check in online,
Check-in is 75 days prior, not 45. And the call can be scheduled anytime prior to the cruise, not just after check-in.

Meghatron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #13
JERME81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jareds_mommy View Post
We have 2 cruises booked back to back in April one with Dreams and one on our own, just to compare the 2, so far the only big difference is we want to pre pay our gratuities and direct with disney I can pay it to them, the one with dreams I have to use them to do it, other then that so far there has been no difference between the 2
Here is my plan:
I found a miniature Disney Dream cruise ship on Disneystore.com. I plan to wrap it up in a box along with a special note. I might also buy DCL tote bag on that same website.

SSR January 2014
POR/AKV October 2012
CSR October 2011
POR/BCV November 2010
CSR April 2010
CBR December 2004
Offsite 1986
Old 03-04-2013, 04:42 PM   #14
NickAndAnt
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Here is my plan:
I found a miniature Disney Dream cruise ship on Disneystore.com. I plan to wrap it up in a box along with a special note. I might also buy DCL tote bag on that same website.
That is so cool. I wish I could surprise my partner for our first cruise on May 19th, but it was his idea. I will sneak attack him with the next one?
NickAndAnt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:14 PM   #15
mecllap
"Skamps"
Hugh Jackman -- major beefcake!
Once a DIS Sleuth, Always a DIS Sleuth

Quote:
Here is my plan:
Fun plan, sounds perfect. You have way more patience than I do, waiting til August for such a great surprise!!!

(p.s. -- I'll be in WDW in May -- if you notice a funny-looking LOL with a couple of blue streaks in her hair wanderin' around, probably with a folding "seat cane" -- say Hi -- maybe waiting in line for Chewbacca May 17 or 18). Melissa (I won't blow your surprise, just comment on my hair, it's a good excuse).
mecllap is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: