Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Rumors and News
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-22-2013, 09:32 PM   #31
monorailrabbit
Rabbits Rabbits Everywhere!

I do have to say I was a bit underwhelmed by the ride overall, even more so because when we went the yeti wasn't working, although I'm not sure that would have made THAT big of a diff. There was some documentary I watched (I think it was on Netflix) talking about the "preventative maintenance" they did on both the Yeti and the dinosaurs in Dinosaur... I noticed some of the Dinos weren't moving in that ride either... but I'm guessing that is a totally different type of problem? It just seems like their maintenance didn't do a whole lot of good..
Old 02-22-2013, 09:36 PM   #32
Q-man
DIS Veteran

I don't buy the foundation issue with modern technology unless there is no room to work. Foundation repair companies fix a house foundation in a week or so.
Q-man is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-23-2013, 08:06 AM   #33
Tonka's Skipper
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virtucomp View Post
I'm guessing that the reason Disney would go out for bid on a fix is because their Imagineers have not come up with a fix that does not require dismantling the ride.

There are companies that put out oil well fires. There are companies that can plug undersea oil rig leaks. There is probably a company that can come up with a method of correcting the Yeti's mounting without tearing down the ride but will Disney be willing to spend the money on it.

It is an embarassment that the ride is broken but shutting down Everest for a year may be more costly than not haveing the Yeti move.

My guess it more that they have finially found the fix and have detailed plans and job reqiurements to do the repairs. They are biding out as usual for a construction company to do the repairs. Disney does not have their own construction firms.

AKK
Tonka's Skipper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 09:07 AM   #34
Mike2023
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q-man View Post
I don't buy the foundation issue with modern technology unless there is no room to work. Foundation repair companies fix a house foundation in a week or so.
The room is limited for sure,

Also keep in mind that the foundation for a house is much different then whats needed for something the size of this that shifts its weight at very high speeds. The lateral forces would be extremely high, unlike a house that just sits there.

{1997 - July - CBR (First Trip)}{1999 - July - Off site}{2005 - June - Off site (Honeymoon)}{2006 - May - Off site (1 Year Anniversary)}
{2008 - April - AKL (3 Year Anniversary)}{2009 - May - AKL,POLY,POR (4 Year Anniversary/DD first Trip)}{2010 - Jan - BLT,AKV,POLY}
{2010 - Oct - BLT,BCV,AKL}{2011 - Aug - AKL}{2012 - Jun - PCC3.0,AKL,BCV}{2013 - May - AKL,DCL}{2013 - Oct - POP}{2014 - Mar - AOA,BLT,DCL}
{2015 - Feb - BWV (Daytonay500)}{2015 - Oct - Offsite,DCL,US (10th Anniversary)}
Mike2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:16 PM   #35
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizCaptain View Post
So... do you hate Joe Rohde because of this ride, or do you hate this ride because of Jo Rohde? I'd say its a pretty darn good roller coaster, regardless of creator (which really doesn't matter to me anyway).

I'd like the yeti to get fixed, but its quite the project to undertake. As stated, I don't think it could happen until whatever form of expansion or addition occurs, but again as stated, Test Track got refurbed and that worked out alright.
It's not a "pretty darned good coaster"...its a mild amusement park ride.
Not terribly exciting, not the worst.

Disney has to build something better than this for 200 million and a 2-3 year construction schedule. That's the point.

I know they are in love with "mountains"...which seems ironic considering the ground and height restrictions in florida...but they probably should go a different route moving forward...

rock n roller coaster might be the most overall effective coaster disney has ever built (not including the matterhorn - which is the godfather - and honorable mention to Space in France - which i love) and was done so comparatively quickly and cost effectively.

More of that please...especially if they are gonna man up and build something decent off of star wars.
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 01:33 PM   #36
TheDisDork
Welcome Home

All issues of quality aside, I found the idea of the fix taking place after Avatarland one of the more logical possibilities proposed.

It's well-established this is going to be a massive fix... but since Avatarland is a ways off, is it possible they could "set the stage" for the fix in the meantime? That is to say, take small steps in fixing the Yeti over time, so when the new area opens and attention is slightly diverted, they can just skip straight to the bigger elements of the solution faster?

Though personally I would love it if they just turned the Yeti into this
Old 02-24-2013, 01:59 PM   #37
Jasonkat
Mouseketeer

Hello hello sorry baby I can't move a thing
I haven't been serviced in a while you see, see
But but it's ok there's a flashing light on me
Sorry if you wanted more it's only Disney
It's only Disney
It's only Disney
What more than a strobe would you expect at Disney?

Disco Yeti is my name this mountain's where I stay
I used to be ferocious now I'm just a display
They said they had some plans for me they'd put me on TV
But they hung me on the wall like Mickey's hunting trophy

Stopped moving not proving Disney's expertise anymore
Imagineers build what engineers ignore
Bob Iger's got tigers, rhinos, and giraffes by the score
So what's he need a working mythical beast for?

So ride if you want but there's no more motion
You're just gonna find a mannequin
Been fried since they ended my promotion
Left me behind a mannequin
More meets and greets and some brand new suites
So that no one will mind the mannequin
Cause I'm stuck from above and I'm getting no love
An expensive kind of mannequin

Pleasure Island died when they took down the fences
Imagination's now a ride about the senses
But soon you won't be bothered by my disco dancin'
They'll block my moves by building a pin trading station
Pin trading station
Pin trading station
Inside my ride they'll build a new pin trading station
Jasonkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 02:00 PM   #38
Mike2023
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lockedoutlogic View Post
It's not a "pretty darned good coaster"...its a mild amusement park ride.
Not terribly exciting, not the worst.

Disney has to build something better than this for 200 million and a 2-3 year construction schedule. That's the point.

I know they are in love with "mountains"...which seems ironic considering the ground and height restrictions in florida...but they probably should go a different route moving forward...

rock n roller coaster might be the most overall effective coaster disney has ever built (not including the matterhorn - which is the godfather - and honorable mention to Space in France - which i love) and was done so comparatively quickly and cost effectively.

More of that please...especially if they are gonna man up and build something decent off of star wars.
rock n roller coaster, really? RR, EE, and space mountain are all made by Vekoma. I would only credit disney for the theme of the rides.

While I agree there good rides I don't think thats the point of disney. If you want Vekoma rides, go to six flags.

I think disney should get back to designing there own ride systems. Being innovative, and leading the industry.

{1997 - July - CBR (First Trip)}{1999 - July - Off site}{2005 - June - Off site (Honeymoon)}{2006 - May - Off site (1 Year Anniversary)}
{2008 - April - AKL (3 Year Anniversary)}{2009 - May - AKL,POLY,POR (4 Year Anniversary/DD first Trip)}{2010 - Jan - BLT,AKV,POLY}
{2010 - Oct - BLT,BCV,AKL}{2011 - Aug - AKL}{2012 - Jun - PCC3.0,AKL,BCV}{2013 - May - AKL,DCL}{2013 - Oct - POP}{2014 - Mar - AOA,BLT,DCL}
{2015 - Feb - BWV (Daytonay500)}{2015 - Oct - Offsite,DCL,US (10th Anniversary)}
Mike2023 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2013, 10:24 PM   #39
lockedoutlogic
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2023

rock n roller coaster, really? RR, EE, and space mountain are all made by Vekoma. I would only credit disney for the theme of the rides.

While I agree there good rides I don't think thats the point of disney. If you want Vekoma rides, go to six flags.

I think disney should get back to designing there own ride systems. Being innovative, and leading the industry.
I know Verona built the rides...and I'm not advocating hurlamatics in EPCOT...

What I AM saying is that Disney can't misuse what little bullets they have to fire.

I was a "guest" during cast previews at Animal Kingdom in March of 1998 - before it opened.
It had hardly anything in it. Bugs,safari, ctx and the boat ride to nowhere..

Now where are we?
The same with a bad raft ride, a new Chinese restaurant, and the mountain of embarrassment.

I think they should rename it "K2"...and make that the new breakdown code property wide.

And no...it's not the worst ride. It's a decent little drop and speed. I wish it was a replacement for big thunder - to be honest.
But that's irrelevant.

It took 200 million bucks of capital and/or debt for that. And they never had any intention o paying one cent. We do.

And they have yet to do anything else...that's 8 years and 80 million ticks at the gates.

The tickets when AK opened where about 48 bucks...now they are just a tad more. As in double.

So if goofy joe rhode can take 20 people to Nepal for "cultural study" to build queue buildings and a fiberglass shell for a rollercoaster...then the engineering inside needs to not suck.

Gotta be better...that's the point. They need to build something other than a people mover/flat ride that isn't plagued by massive problems.
Test tract...nope
Mission space...nope
Everest...nope.

If these things were a little more frequent...I probably wouldn't care.

Do or do not...there is no "try"
Bought there....(SSR 2006)

Last Trip: Too Long Ago
Next Trip: Can i borrow some money to go?
Gift Shop Quality: When did we get to WalMart?
Food Quality: Only the finest free range roast chicken breast and loch dart salmon in the Kingdom

"May the Space Being bless the Free Market"
lockedoutlogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 02:29 AM   #40
bom_noite
DVC-Trivia Contest - April, 2006: 3rd Place

Locked is right - it is a good coaster - not great but fun. Certainly EE was needed in the park. And, I feel they did a GREAT - NO - a FANTASTIC job of making a 200 foot piece of Concrete look like Everest! Something I love to look and stare at!

Attention to detail is what has set Disney parks from the others (though many have caught up). But, in other posts I have asked: Does the attention to detail hold them back? In other words, did the damn Yeti have to be the focal point of the story to begin with?

I have rode the thing 20 times - never walked off and said: LOVE THE STORY! I loved the thrill - the ride. They did 50 things right. I think they achieved what they were after with or without the Yeti!

They most likely spent 10% of the budget on the silly Yeti and it is now an embarrassment. If it is not fixed, they are thumbing their nose at all of us that pay for this stuff. Unfortunately, the fix, no matter what it is will end up costing us in new rides, new reasons to go.

Here is what WILL NOT HAPPEN TOMORROW when I read the financial news: Disney has announced that they will take a $50 Million hit on the Yeti and build the thing right and profits will suffer. Are you nuts? Would cost them Millions in bonus money?

Far more embarrassing, IMHO, is walking through Epcot and seeing empty buildings, buildings desperately needing new carpet / a fresh paint job and landscaping which is under-loved!

Currently on these boards we are discussing Carsland, Avatar, Monster Inc. Coaster and a theoretical Australia expansion to the AK. We deserve all of them - we may be stuck with Avatar, a shoppers paradise in Fantasyland, no paint at Epcot and increased ticket prices.

In the last 10 years Universal and Sea World have outspent Disney on R&D, new rides, new attractions. Despite that WDW out-draws them 5 to 1 combined in attendance. And the guys in Burbank actually puzzle over why attendance numbers are flat?

I just got done watching a YouTube with Joe Rhode talking about the AK. He talked about how management cut the park in half. But, it means they have tons of extra land to build on. Where do they build Avatar? On existing land with existing infrastructure so it saves them from expanding. And, we the guest lose a popular show and a nice shady Character area for the kids.

Many here snub there nose at the Six Flags of the world - I do understand why - not the same Disney experience. Regardless, these folks spend the money and consistently pump out new rides every other year. That is why my family in Atlanta get 4 AP's each year - at virtually the same price as one WDW AP!

Sorry to all for the rambling diatribe - I love WDW but - darn it you guys who run this thing: WAKE UP!

Last edited by bom_noite; 02-26-2013 at 02:52 AM.
bom_noite is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: