Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS Updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-22-2013, 01:18 AM   #31
holula
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDennis28 View Post

Totally agree! I was so looking forward to our verandah and so disappointed when I got out there. Felt I had to duck to see the sky. Never again.
Exactly. It was our first verandah too. Next cruise we had a verandah but after this experience we are going to save the money and we downgraded to an OV.
Eurodisney/Disneyland Paris: 1997, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2011; Disneyland Resort: 2000, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 (x2), 2011, 2012; Walt Disney World: 2011, 2012 (x2), 2013 (x4), 2014; Hong Kong Disneyland: 2012
Disney Wonder: 2012 Alaska, 2013 Bahamas; Disney Dream: 2012 Bahamas (x2); Disney Fantasy: 2013 Eastern, 2014 Western; Disney Magic: 2014 Bahamas (Wedding!), 2014 Southern Caribbean
Hilton Head Island Resort: 2013

Upcoming
Walt Disney World: 2014
Disney Magic: 2015 EB Transatlantic Disney Wonder: 2014 Xmas Western
holula is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:38 AM   #32
Bear3412
DIS Veteran

Photo link from deck 10 port side veranda cabin 10076 slightly forward of midship looking aft, courtesy of diser "ljm23".
There are other elusive photos out there.
This photo also shows the non-operable balcony partitions well.(and welds )

http://www.disboards.com/showpost.ph...17&postcount=4

Keep in mind of the bump outs on 11 fore and aft that will increase this overhang depth.
Also there are support beams on the aft bump that will be in view for those located near/under bumps. 2 supports on the Dream, 3 on the Fantasy.
I guess they learned three is better than two. Makes me wonder about sitting by the windows on the bump in Cabanas on the Dream.

Photos of Dream bump supports and another couple angles of the overhang courtesy of diser "jfs9900".

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...m/outside2.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u...m/outside1.jpg

This last link you can again notice how it's every two cabins on 10 with a thicker wall between verandas.

Also there is no skinnage on 10 to interfere with the view. Those vertical outer panels every 6 cabins that "jfs9900 disliked. They stop at deck 9.

Of course sailing the Caribbean in August it might be nice for some to have all these shade options, as long as you don't need three balconies that connect.

ETA; 6 adjoining cabin verandas directly under the aft bump don't connect.

Here is a video that shows the overhang. Jump to 3:35.
http://quassmedia.com/cruisevids/?p=1755
Perhaps the stateroom host will open the hatch in the fixed partitions for the kids to pass through.

Last edited by Bear3412; 03-22-2013 at 11:44 AM.
Bear3412 is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-22-2013, 07:42 AM   #33
mlayton14
Mouseketeer

Is the overhang as bad on the classic ships? I agree that blocking the sky like this would really bother me
mlayton14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 10:33 AM   #34
Justacruiser
Military Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlayton14 View Post
Is the overhang as bad on the classic ships? I agree that blocking the sky like this would really bother me
the overhang on the Fantasy and Dream are a lot worse than the other two ships.

However, it blocks the direct sun for most of the day and keeps the balcony relatively dry during rain.

If you look out toward the horizon you will be able to see a nice view and stars at night. You will just be able to look directly up. We often would be up on deck 12 at night to see the whole view. And, you should be getting more space on the inside of the ship.

If you look at the design of the ship available on DisneyCruise.com you can see what is directly above you or below you. In the late evening before around 11pm, they are up on deck cleaning and moving chairs. In the early morning around 6:00-6:30 you can hear them moving chairs. If you under anything other than the open deck are on deck 10, you should hear little noice. I loved being underneath the spa area. Very quiet.

2014 - 5 Cruises: 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Fantasy, 1-Magic
2013 - 7 Cruises (Grand Slam): 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 2-Dream (B2B), 2-Wonder (B2B)
2012 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 1-Fantasy, 1-Dream (non-traditional B2B Fantasy/Dream)
2011 - 4 Cruises: 2-Magic, 2-Dream
2010 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2009 - 1 Cruise: Wonder
2003 - 1 Cruise: Wonder

Magic-7, Wonder-5, Dream-7, Fantasy-4:
3 Day Cruises = 4, 4 Day Cruise = 7, 7 Day Cruises = 10, 8 Day Cruises = 2, B2B Cruises = 4, Grand Slam (4 ships 1 year) = 1 (so far)

Upcoming Cruises:
(24) 7 Night Fantasy - 10 Hawaii - Disney Wonder 2015
Justacruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:48 PM   #35
lady and the mouse
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom x4,grandma x4 View Post
We wre on deck 10 AFT on the Fantasy in November and loved it!!

No extra noise that we noticed.

We liked the overhang because when it rained it blocked the rain so the balcony was still usuable and also it blocked the hot heat of the sun on the balcony. It is high enough it never obstructed the view.

Last week we booked The Dream for the end of this month and we requested deck 10.

Kathy
I agree we loved deck 10! WE requested the same room 10648 for our next cruise on the fantasy.We were wanting to upgrade to family suite but it seems most of them have noise issues. We were in 10648 and loved our room and location with the door opening to the elevator area. We didnt have much noise in our room or we ust passed it off as ship noises. I may bring a sleep noise machine next time incase. We even had the extra wide overhang and it didnt bother us really but I have nothing to compare it was out first cruise. What rooms did you stay in that you were happy with? I was thinking about moving forward so we would be under the spa but that is very far from cabanas also. Also how was the weather and the water in NOV? WE are doing eastern Nov 16 on the fantasy. Ahhh the hard decisions

Enjoying life with my family. One disney trip at a time.
[/url]
lady and the mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 08:57 PM   #36
anna08
DIS Veteran

We've had deck 10 for Fantasy and Dream cruises, only time we had noise problems was when we were under the 11th floor concierge rooms. There are some occasional morning rumbles when workers are prepping the decks in the areas of 10 that are under the open decks, but never woke up my kids or DH.
Old 03-30-2013, 10:45 PM   #37
ppony
Artist in residence

We'll be doing deck 10 this time on the Fantasy but we did deck 8 on the Wonder last time. Same thing. I was in our cabin almost the entire cruise (long story), so MY experience on MY cruise was the noise wasn't great but it was almost all during the daytime. We were under the pool area where a LOT of tables and chairs get moved. While it was a little annoying at times, it never ever kept any of us from sleeping or relaxing. Thusly why we didn't blink at doing the top cabin deck again. This time we'll be under the ice cream station so I expect some noise again.

ppony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:01 AM   #38
momtoleasawav
Mouseketeer

we were in room 10120 on the fantasy. I could here chairs being moved around sometimes late at night or early in the morning but it didnt bother us at all
Old 03-31-2013, 07:29 PM   #39
Livvys
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by disney honeymooners
We have sailed Deck 10 on the Dream twice and loved it and we are doing the same on the Fantasy this September. We never really noticed the noise it was in the morning but i was either completely gone (asleep) or already awake so it didn't bother me and it did not bother DH at all(HEAVY SLEEPER!!)

That's great to hear! I have been stressing about this cabin since I said yes to it, lol... We are in 10572 on the fantasy this sep...before I booked this cabin from my TA I didn't realize:
1- it is noisy because of deck 11
2- it is directly across from the public laundry
3- it has that overhang balcony view

However, it seems to have some pro's:
1- unobstructed view down to the water (between the life boats)
2- nice size room being that its a 4A
3- only one flight of stairs up to funnel vision, cabanas, etc ( I think this is a pro?)

Now are any of these things vacation breakers for me--nope. Should I stop worrying about it and just be thankful I'm on a disney cruise vacation? Yep, probably lol. Do I still consider calling my TA and changing, yes!! UGH! I'm a disaster lol. I did put our name on the wait list for a cat V, but I think that wait list is imaginary seriously, has anyone ever had success with this?

There was only one cat 4a on deck 9 avail last time I checked... I looked up info about deck 9 and then realized you have to contend with that small verandah obstruction... LOL--- I think it will be something no matter where you are.

I give up-- 10572 it is, lol!! Besides, not planning on spending much time in there anyway
Livvys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 02:13 PM   #40
lady and the mouse
Earning My Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Livvys View Post
That's great to hear! I have been stressing about this cabin since I said yes to it, lol... We are in 10572 on the fantasy this sep...before I booked this cabin from my TA I didn't realize:
1- it is noisy because of deck 11
2- it is directly across from the public laundry
3- it has that overhang balcony view

However, it seems to have some pro's:
1- unobstructed view down to the water (between the life boats)
2- nice size room being that its a 4A
3- only one flight of stairs up to funnel vision, cabanas, etc ( I think this is a pro?)

Now are any of these things vacation breakers for me--nope. Should I stop worrying about it and just be thankful I'm on a disney cruise vacation? Yep, probably lol. Do I still consider calling my TA and changing, yes!! UGH! I'm a disaster lol. I did put our name on the wait list for a cat V, but I think that wait list is imaginary seriously, has anyone ever had success with this?

There was only one cat 4a on deck 9 avail last time I checked... I looked up info about deck 9 and then realized you have to contend with that small verandah obstruction... LOL--- I think it will be something no matter where you are.

I give up-- 10572 it is, lol!! Besides, not planning on spending much time in there anyway
These are the same type of thoughts I have been dealing with LOL! Iam all over the place. I book the same room as last time on but on the fantasy. I think do i want to be those people that do the same room everytime? We loved the our extra wide over hang untill i started reading on here and second guessing it. I want a family suite on deck 10 but dont want to under the pools. We loved how our room opened up to the elevators. Im a mess
lol!

Enjoying life with my family. One disney trip at a time.
[/url]
lady and the mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 03:05 PM   #41
Allanaw
Earning My Ears

We were in stateroom 10610 on the Fantasy and rebooked the same stateroom for our next cruise. The only time we heard noise was during pirate deck party but it wasn't bad. I also had no issue with the balcony. But I don't cruise much so don't have much to compare it to!
Allanaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:43 PM   #42
kddlm
Mouseketeer

Just back from 10554 on Fantasy

We just got back on Saturday from 7 night eastern on Fantasy and were in Room 10554. Location was amazing! Right near mid-ship elevators and staircases. One deck up for drinks and food was awesome. I too, was concerned about the noise after reading numerous posts. This was our first ever cruise so I have no point of reference to compare with other rooms, but we personally loved the overhang! It was nice to sit out and feel "sheltered", but still outside. Broke down the wind as well, which was a big issue.

As for noise...you could definitely hear the chairs being dragged at night and in a.m. Not enough though to keep awake or wake up though and I am a light sleeper. Believe me, you are so exhausted from the day, you will sleep! The running of kids, was more of an issue than the chairs...often sounded like a herd of elephants overhead! Again though, not constant, and not bothersome enough to not stay again. Location location location outweighed the negatives about the noise for me! The laundry area was right down the hall as well, which was very convenient!

Have a great trip!
VBR/OKW (April 2009/
Spring Break Trip-OKW/VBR (2010)
September 2010 - OKW
April/May 2012 - BWV
DCL-Fantasy March 2013
kddlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 04:58 PM   #43
DarthTod
Mouseketeer

Recently sailed in 10100 on Fantasy, and would do so again. The overhang is a non issue in my mind, just ensured a nice place in the shade to read. We never heard the noise of the deck chairs, the only noise we ever noticed was "kids" running about, but that was rare. In fact, the first time we even noticed that one was probably the fourth or fifth night out.
DarthTod is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: