Ths DIS is a great place to ask Disney Cruise Line questions and share tips.
Dreams Unlimited Travel - The official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums Dreams Unlimited Travel - the official sponsor of the Disney Cruise Forums  

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Cruise Line > Disney Cruise Line Forum
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-29-2013, 08:41 AM   #1
skullsplitter
Mouseketeer

Travel agent or not?

We are considering our first Disney Cruise. I've noticed the onboard credits deals with some of the travel agencies. Are there are any downsides to using an agency versus just booking the trip on our own?
skullsplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:49 AM   #2
caribbeandreaming
Mouseketeer

We used a travel agent for our first cruise, but didn't for our upcoming one in May. There hasn't been much difference for us in using one vs. not using one because our reservations and transportation are pretty straight-forward. Next time I'm definitely booking with a travel agent though b/c of the OBC.

Last edited by caribbeandreaming; 03-29-2013 at 08:50 AM. Reason: typo
caribbeandreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 03-29-2013, 08:52 AM   #3
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullsplitter View Post
We are considering our first Disney Cruise. I've noticed the onboard credits deals with some of the travel agencies. Are there are any downsides to using an agency versus just booking the trip on our own?
I prefer to use a TA to get the OBC. Once I book with the TA if I have any questions/problems/changes I cannot call DCL, my TA has to take care of it which I prefer but others do not like giving up "control" of their reservation. I still complete my online checkin/select my PAT/book excursions/dining so I really don't feel as if I'm giving anything up. Any problems my TA has to deal with instead of me.

3 Night Disney Dream May 2013 Trip report W/Navigators Link is broken so "google" "Our dreamy anniversary cruise"

5 Night Disney Dream Double Dip June 2012
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:52 AM   #4
LuvENDisney
Trying to plan our next trip to WDW!

We just booked our first cruise. We did it through Dreams Unlimited because of the OBC. I also looked into booking through Costco and with them they give you Costco dollars. Happy planning!

LuvENDisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:53 AM   #5
MissDaisyofTexas
DIS Veteran

The main downside to using a travel agent is that you cannot modify your reservation yourself online or by phone; your travel agent must do that for you. Not a big deal if your travel agent is easily accessible.

Definitely choose an agent that gives an onboard credit!
Old 03-29-2013, 08:53 AM   #6
nzdisneymom
DIS Veteran

We like using a TA so I don't have to keep up with everything - she takes care of things for us. However, if I have questions about something, I have to ask her to find out (but she's super and very responsive) - DCL doesn't like to talk to you about your reservation if you have a TA. If you want to make payments, your TA has to do it on your behalf.

Ending the holidays ~ January 3 - 6 ~ Saratoga Springs
Girlfriends Trip ~ February 25 - 27 ~ Grand Floridian
Spring Break ~ March 16 - 23 ~ Animal Kingdom Kidani Villas
Hawaiian Vacation ~ June 9 - 15 ~ Aulani
Blogged our B2B Mediterranean Cruises 2013
nzdisneymom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:29 AM   #7
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

As others have said, the TA will need to act on your behalf for any questions, changes, modifications regarding the reservation - DCL won't even speak to you.

So make sure you select a TA that you can reach easily (phone, email, whatever your preference) and who is responsive - worst thing is a TA who don't respond to emails or phone messages when you need them.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:34 AM   #8
kfamilylovesdisney
Wonder 05/2008 Wonder 05/2009

We book onboard

If its not your first cruise, when you book onboard you get 10% off your next cruise and an OBC.

I'm not sure that a travel agent can manage that booking....

Does anyone know?

July 6, 2013 - Disney Fantasy Western Caribbean * June 26, 2011 - Disney Dream 5 Day * May 2009 - Disney Wonder 4 Day * May 2008 - Disney Wonder 3 Day

6/2012 BCV * 6/2011 AKV-Kidani * 8/2010 BLT * 5/2009 WLV * 5/2008 BWV * 5/2007 BCV * 1/2006 OKW
kfamilylovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:36 AM   #9
caribbeandreaming
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfamilylovesdisney View Post
If its not your first cruise, when you book onboard you get 10% off your next cruise and an OBC.

Does anyone know?
I think a travel agent can take over that reservation, but it must be done within 30 days of the booking (I think the old rule was you could change it whenever).
caribbeandreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:49 AM   #10
tweis
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Does anyone know?
Yes, a TA can manage that booking. If you know which TA you want to use it is best to NAME that TA while making the booking. You can transfer it to a TA within 30 days of making the reservation but most TAs offer a reduced OBC for transferred reservations.

3 Night Disney Dream May 2013 Trip report W/Navigators Link is broken so "google" "Our dreamy anniversary cruise"

5 Night Disney Dream Double Dip June 2012
tweis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:51 AM   #11
MikeAndNick
If you can dream it, you can do it.

I have used a travel agent for the last 10 years. I have not found a downside yet. My travel agent is a small travel agency that is open 7 days a week and specializes in Disney. I like the fact that they are the ones that talk to Disney, because they are the expert and Disney knows who they are because they talk to Disney every day. You can do everything on your own and never have a problem. When they come in handy is when you have problems, you have someone with power on your side.
Disney Cruise Lines: Wonder Land and Sea – Bahamas 2005, Magic Eastbound Trans Atlantic 2010, Magic Mexican Riviera Nov 20, 2011, Fantasy Western Caribbean June 23, 2012, Wonder Bahamian December 14, 2013
Princess Cruse Lines: Panama Canal 2006, San Francisco Alaska June 19, 2011, Pacific Coast Nov 24, 2013
Royal Caribbean Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2009
Carnival Cruise Lines: Encanta Mexico 2009
NCL Cruise Lines: Mexican Riviera 2008
MikeAndNick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:53 AM   #12
lanejudy

DISboards Moderator

Quote:

Does anyone know?
You can name the TA while onboard, or you have 30 days to transfer it to a TA. Some TA's tier the OBC they offer with a reduced amount for a transferred reservation, which is why you might want to name the TA right from the start. Make sure you have all of their contact info with you; if that same TA handled the reservation for the cruise you are currently on, they can pull it up.

Enjoy your cruise!
lanejudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:44 AM   #13
OKW Lover

Yes, we love Old Key West
Connoisseur of the fine things in life, and has the time to enjoy them (Just ask his wife)

We've used a TA for all of our 8 DCL cruises, with 2 more in the works. I can't think of a downside. The upside is the on board credit of course.

Dreams Unlimited is the owner/sponsor of the DISBoards and I like using them for their good service and to support the boards.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:58 PM   #14
mommaof1
Earning My Ears

Ta

We just booked our first Disney cruise with a travel agent. After all is said and done I wish we would have booked ourselves. Our TA did not offer any on board credit, did not inform us about anything on the cruise.. we learned everything after we booked and joined this forum. Now to make payments or change anything we have to call her. It might just be that she is not the best TA but next time I will definitely call around and see what other agents offer because if it's nothing I'm just booking it myself.

mommaof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:49 PM   #15
gumbo1009
...flawed product of a deranged mind...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweis View Post
Yes, a TA can manage that booking. If you know which TA you want to use it is best to NAME that TA while making the booking. You can transfer it to a TA within 30 days of making the reservation but most TAs offer a reduced OBC for transferred reservations.
Question - if you list the TA when you do an OBB does the TA offer their usual OBC or do they treat it like a transferred reservation (and so offer reduced OBC). Does anyone know?

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: