Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Just for Fun > Community Board
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-09-2013, 10:22 AM   #16
PrincessKsMom

OMG you should see me when I'm driving
I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question

My daughter was very fortunate to have had great grandparents (5 up until the first died when she was almost 5).

Right now my maternal grandmother passed in 2000 (at 78)
Never knew maternal grandfather

Paternal grandfather passed when I was about 18
Paternal grandmother is still alive and in her late 80s

My paternal grandmother's parents (my greats) passed when I was about 10 or 11
My paternal grandfather's pareents (again my greats) passed when I was about 4 and 6

Never knew maternal grandmother's parents who both died when my mother was young
-----------------------------

My daughter still has 2 great-grandmothers and 1 great-grandfather and she's 17.

Stolen from SCHBR'sMom, who stole it from Wickey, who stole it from Kimmar.
LETS ALL DO THE BROONY \ 0 / TagGate 2011
PrincessKsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 10:29 AM   #17
kt_mom
DIS Veteran

I knew 3 of my 4 grandparents. I also knew and remember a great grandmother and great great aunt on my dad's side.

My dad's father died from a heart attack when he was 45 and my dad was 11 so I never knew him. My dad's mom died when I was pregnant with DD just a few months after my niece was born. She was in her 80's.

My mom's dad died when I was in 11th grade and my grandmother died when I was in college. He was an alcoholic who refused to quit drinking. He wasn't a mean one though and I have so many wonderful memories of him. I was very close to my grandfather.

My husband still has one grandmother alive who is pretty healthy actually. His grandfather that he knew and was close to just passed a couple years ago. He never knew the grandfather on his dad's side as he also passed from a heart attack when FIL was younger. I'm not sure about Fil's mother.

I was actually thinking about my grandfather the other day and how I was only 17 when he died. My daughter is almost 10. I can't imagine losing my dad in just a few years. It actually brought me to tears just thinking about it how soon that is. He has already outlived his dad by almost 20 years but his mother lived to her 80's.

My Fil was recently diagnosed with a heart condition that they say is not treatable and gave him a life expectancy of 5-10 years. He has also outlived his father by quite a bit but he eats good and excercises regularly. Dh won't really talk about it except to say that he knows he himself will die young. I hate when he talks like that.
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2013, 10:34 AM   #18
PrincessKsMom

OMG you should see me when I'm driving
I'm pretty sure the minute I open my mouth no one would have to ask the question

All my rambling about my family and I forgot the point of my post. OP, you have to realize that your dad is not only facing the mortality of family members but also his own. My mother had a very hard time with being an "orphan" even though she was in her mid 50s when it happened. When she thought about it she realized she was now the oldest of her generation and it made her face her own mortality. Sometimes it's a punch in the gut to realize our own clock is ticking down. Some people like to discuss it; other avoid the subject at all costs. Everyone knows you won't live forever, but I think we all believe there's always another tomorrow and sometimes there isn't.

Stolen from SCHBR'sMom, who stole it from Wickey, who stole it from Kimmar.
LETS ALL DO THE BROONY \ 0 / TagGate 2011
PrincessKsMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 07:51 AM   #19
tarzansmom
I would rather be at Walt Disney World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by LongLiveDisney

At least you have our DIS family.
:-) and I am lucky to have my in laws. Dh lost his paternal grandfather a few years ago and his grandmother last year and his maternal grandparents passed in his late teens early twenties but he has a mom and stepdad plus dad and stepmom who surprisingly all get along and both mother in laws are great. He also has 4 brothers, none are married yet but someday I hope to have a sister in law or 4 out of it and atleast one better give me a niece lol. We need more girls here.

To the OP, enjoy the time you have left. No one knows what the future may bring. My dad started preparing me for his death when I was a senior in hs. He was 66 when I graduated and had issues with diabetes. I used to get so upset over it but looking back it was his way of preparing me. He was terrified to leave me barely grown. My mom fought cancer for 15 years and tried to prepare me too, just was more subtle. Hang in there.

2003- POR * 2005- POP * 2006- POP * 2008- POP/CSR * 2010- WL * 2011- CBR * 2013-?
tarzansmom is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: