Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney Restaurants > Disney Dining Plan
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-30-2012, 01:02 PM   #1
Daisydd77
Earning My Ears

Kds under 3..... What do they eat?

I understand that they will not get their own meal. If we chose to do so, we may order and pay for it out of pocket. I do question something that I just read tough. It was a post stating that they had fixed a plate at a buffet for the 2 year old and was charged for a child's buffet. Can I get an empty plate and place items from my plate onto his? What should I expect exactly? Last trip he was still feeding from a bottle. I would prefer to know what proper etiquette is with the DDP and. 2 year old. Thanks!
Daisydd77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 01:03 PM   #2
Daisydd77
Earning My Ears

I guess I should add where our ADR's are set for:

Crystal Palace
grand Floridian Cafe
T Rex
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 12-30-2012, 01:29 PM   #3
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisydd77 View Post
I guess I should add where our ADR's are set for:

Crystal Palace
grand Floridian Cafe
T Rex
Crystal Palace is a buffet - you can make him a plate.

T-rex I imagine you'd have to order him his own and pay OOP for it.

The assumption is that a 2 yer old will nibble off your plate and food. If he wants his own you just order him what he wants, outside of a buffet.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:41 PM   #4
Daisydd77
Earning My Ears

He will be fine nibbling from mine however he is quite stubborn and like to feel grown.... Having his own actual late in front if Jim. As long as I can ask for an empty plate, we will be good.
Old 12-30-2012, 02:35 PM   #5
albarellic
Mouseketeer

My 18 month old ate off his 4 year old sister's plate. They weren't very big eaters then... now... that's another story. We occasionally ordered OOP for him, but he was pretty satisfied with sharing from my plate or his sister's. One of our best meals was a half a roasted chicken at Sunshine Seasons... it fed 3 of us
albarellic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:06 PM   #6
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisydd77 View Post
He will be fine nibbling from mine however he is quite stubborn and like to feel grown.... Having his own actual late in front if Jim. As long as I can ask for an empty plate, we will be good.
I can't imagine a reason they wouldn't bring you an empty plate. Sounds like you're golden
Old 12-31-2012, 06:55 AM   #7
wed100105
Mouseketeer

We went in 2010, 2011, and 2012. Each time I had one child who was considered an infant (less than 3 years old) and never had a problem. We were never charged for a buffet. Actually, I take that back, nce when DD was 2, we were charged and I just pointed out to the server that DD was 2 and it was removed. So check your receipts and politely request it be removed at a family-style or buffet table service place.
Old 01-06-2013, 12:37 AM   #8
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
I can't imagine a reason they wouldn't bring you an empty plate. Sounds like you're golden
There have been people reporting being charged for toddlers if they had their own plate since they weren't technically then sharing with their parent.

I find the "kids under 3 eat free" to really not be accurate. My 1 year old can eat three solid meals a day. He does not want just a few bites of mine. I ended up ordering him his own kid's meals each time we ate on our trip a few weeks ago.

He doesn't need a full kids meal, but there's nothing else available. I wish they had toddler meals for like $3.99.

LTT brought him a plate of buttered noodles, but it was $5 (they didn't tell me when they brought it they were charging $5, but it was on the bill).

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 08:38 AM   #9
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloelovesdisney

There have been people reporting being charged for toddlers if they had their own plate since they weren't technically then sharing with their parent.

I find the "kids under 3 eat free" to really not be accurate. My 1 year old can eat three solid meals a day. He does not want just a few bites of mine. I ended up ordering him his own kid's meals each time we ate on our trip a few weeks ago.

He doesn't need a full kids meal, but there's nothing else available. I wish they had toddler meals for like $3.99.

LTT brought him a plate of buttered noodles, but it was $5 (they didn't tell me when they brought it they were charging $5, but it was on the bill).
Sure at a buffet. You just get your own there not ask for one. But a menu restaurant I dont see asking for an extra plate as a problem or something to be charged for. You wouldnt have anything to put on it except your own food.

Ive never personally had a problem with my under 2 getting their own plate at a buffet but I have seen a few people saying they have. I dont think its the norm though.
Old 01-06-2013, 09:08 AM   #10
mamato3girls
Mouseketeer

We have not had a problem the last 2 years. At buffets they were fine with me fixing entire plates for my under 3s at some of the non buffets they even asked what they wanted and brought them that (no charge). I know this was the case in 2011 at akershus with my then 2.5 year old. When they asked what she wanted I told them she was under 3 but the waitress said that didn't matter, we wouldn't be charged for it but she could still order something.
mamato3girls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 11:05 AM   #11
chloelovesdisney
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaarcher86 View Post
Sure at a buffet. You just get your own there not ask for one. But a menu restaurant I dont see asking for an extra plate as a problem or something to be charged for. You wouldnt have anything to put on it except your own food.

Ive never personally had a problem with my under 2 getting their own plate at a buffet but I have seen a few people saying they have. I dont think its the norm though.
The OP is asking about a buffet, I wouldn't expect an issue at an a la carte restaurant either.

OP, I'd just ask your waiter if that will be okay, it's seems to be up to them.

chloelovesdisney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:36 PM   #12
aaarcher86
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloelovesdisney

The OP is asking about a buffet, I wouldn't expect an issue at an a la carte restaurant either.

OP, I'd just ask your waiter if that will be okay, it's seems to be up to them.
Op added other restaurants that are not buffet in the second post
Old 01-06-2013, 03:06 PM   #13
nat8199
Mouseketeer

This is a good thread for me to read. I will be traveling in Oct with TWO 2.5 year olds that can eat me under the table. I know that I will be paying OOP for them quite often, but am also hoping to have them share with some of the 6 adults in our party as often as possible.
nat8199 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 07:13 AM   #14
smiths02
DIS Veteran

Granted, this was a few years ago, but we went during my son's 3rd birthday week. So he was 2 when we checked in and turned 3 on vacation. (I specifically planned this vacation this way to avoid paying for his food and tickets and to fit 5 people in the room we wanted. I also choose a lot of character and buffet meals for this reason)

We went to Boma (dinner), Crystal Palace (on his birthday-so he was already 3), Ohana dinner, Tusker House (breakfast), Chef Mickey (dinner) and we were not charged at any of these AYCE or buffet places. Ohana even offered to bring kids items for him. I believe I was charged for a drink at Ohana, but the other places didn't even charge for a drink. He had his own plate at all of these places. If they would have charged us, I would have pointed out that he was under 3 when we checked in.

I don't see asking for an empty plate as a problem at most a la carte places. If you, however, order him his own food at an a la carte place, expect to be charged for it.
2003 (AKL), 2009 (AKL), 2011 (CBR- room), 2015 (AoA-Cars Suite)
smiths02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 11:30 AM   #15
GrandCalifornian
Can't Wait To Go Back

Free Buffets

We went in September to go before our daughter turned three, and it worked out great. At Disney, Buffet meals are free for guests under three. They get their own drinks, food, whatever at no charge. It isn't sharing or sneaking, it is how it shows up on the bill. Disney is really great about this.
The only times we did have to buy food for her was at a table service where we ordered her a kids meal, and we knew we would have to pay OOP for it since she was not on the dining plan. Other times she shared QS or TS meals with us, and we sometimes used a snack credit to get her a drink or a something extra for us all to share.
GrandCalifornian is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: