Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 10:23 AM   #91
Goofy + 3
DDC 400
Remember, it's ok to cry a little. Not too much, just a little

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamTrike View Post
I've been praying and thinking about the things I desire to teach my children a lot recently. I think I'm frustrated by the number of rules we've had to create thinking that if they had the right basis for their behavior we'd need fewer rules. DW and I wound up boiling down everything to 3 values we want our family to stick too.

1. Love God
2. Love Others
3. Do your best.

This third value has us echo'ing a shortened version of Bill and Ted's Slogan to each other a lot. "Be Excellent".

I've been thinking about this a lot and I'm curious if you guys had to boil it down to 3 things what values would you want your kids to pick up?
My 1 and 2 would be the same as yours. When I try to think of a #3, I think it ends up being a sub-value of #1. An argument could be made that your #3 and #2 are just off-shoots of #1 (and that's a good thing).

But if I had to have value #3, it may be "be fearless". (again an offshoot of #1). Either that or "have fun".
DIS Dad #400
Old 01-09-2013, 10:24 AM   #92
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisDadDoc View Post
Hi, Fed!

Well done, sir!

Have a great weekend, guys! Boarding passes printed, mentally already there, just need to get through a day of meetings and admin work! Will post lots of updates on FB and tumblr (if I can figure that out!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by that's nice View Post
Have a safe trip... see you Friday!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Dad View Post
Have a good time Chris.
Safe travels. Have a great time!

|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-09-2013, 10:25 AM   #93
JHMCARTY
Mouseketeer

I guess I should be inventorying some Poland springs or something right now.

We are missing 12 cases of shrimp, anyone know where it is?

This is too easy... I like this app
Old 01-09-2013, 10:27 AM   #94
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Looking forward to the updates!

Who you got for the first Dad to be thrown out of the parks? I have dibs on Barry.
You mean no one has been thrown out yet? You do know that there are already a bunch of guys down there. If I had to guess, Barry may be a good choice. Of course it may be several at once too.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #95
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott2997 View Post
Yikes....page 5?!?

Boss was on a rampage this morning.....thought for a while that my DDC trip might get kiboshed at the last minute!

Suppose I should've told him about these two days off a while ago.

But then he comes into my office and says how he's been real happy with my performance as of late and all the responsbility I've taken on hasn't gone unnoticed.

8 more hours till I'm busting out of this place!
That may change when he comes looking for you tomorrow and your not there. I guess you can tell him you had a responsibility to be at the DDC. Safe Travels.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:40 AM   #96
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
I've been praying and thinking about the things I desire to teach my children a lot recently. I think I'm frustrated by the number of rules we've had to create thinking that if they had the right basis for their behavior we'd need fewer rules. DW and I wound up boiling down everything to 3 values we want our family to stick too.

1. Love God
2. Love Others
3. Do your best.

This third value has us echo'ing a shortened version of Bill and Ted's Slogan to each other a lot. "Be Excellent".

I've been thinking about this a lot and I'm curious if you guys had to boil it down to 3 things what values would you want your kids to pick up?
We use the three general rules:

1) Respect others and treat them as you expect to be treated.

2) Respect yourself and always give your best effort.

3) Always be humble and help those less fortunate than we are when possible.

It is pretty similar. Never even thought to add god in there as a rule. I guess Sunday mass and the fact that religion has always been a part of our lives we take it as a expected. Like your list as well.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:42 AM   #97
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHMCARTY View Post
And yes, I am at work, is that counter productive?
Not only is it productive, it is supported and endorsed by all the dads

Old 01-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #98
disdadIL
DIS Dad #711
Big Trouble in Little Suburbs

Bye convention dads. Enjoy Florida. Post lots of pics on FB if you can. If not, drink lots of Beverly. Or not
Old 01-09-2013, 10:48 AM   #99
JHMCARTY
Mouseketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1971

Not only is it productive, it is supported and endorsed by all the dads
So I'll see it in my review?
Old 01-09-2013, 10:58 AM   #100
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:

1. Love God
2. Love Others
3. Do your best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy + 3 View Post
My 1 and 2 would be the same as yours. When I try to think of a #3, I think it ends up being a sub-value of #1. An argument could be made that your #3 and #2 are just off-shoots of #1 (and that's a good thing).

But if I had to have value #3, it may be "be fearless". (again an offshoot of #1). Either that or "have fun".
Ryan, looks like you and I had this conversation a while back when I posted about it at the other site:

http://disdads.com/archives/1397

But the first two you mentioned are the ones laid out for us in Scripture by God Himself, so that seems like a great place to start! Outward behavior reflects the desires of the heart, so it's the desires of the child's heart that we need to address. Do you want what's best for you, or do you think about others first?
Old 01-09-2013, 11:03 AM   #101
boreas154
DisDads #728

Hey Dads!

Long time lurker, 1st time poster. Just wanted to wish you all a great trip. Just got back from the World 3 weeks ago. If I would've known about this, I'd have pushed my wife to wait until after the holidays.

Figured I better get signed up and say hi finally. I'm a Western PA native, and father/husband (DW30,DS7). Have read you criteria a few times whenever I need a chuckle, and I'll just go with I qualify for #77

Well, happy times to those who are in the World now, and best wishes to those looking forward to future visits.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:03 AM   #102
Goofy + 3
DDC 400
Remember, it's ok to cry a little. Not too much, just a little

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Oblivious View Post
Ryan, looks like you and I had this conversation a while back when I posted about it at the other site:

http://disdads.com/archives/1397

But the first two you mentioned are the ones laid out for us in Scripture by God Himself, so that seems like a great place to start! Outward behavior reflects the desires of the heart, so it's the desires of the child's heart that we need to address. Do you want what's best for you, or do you think about others first?
Have you read "Shepharding a Child's Heart"?
DIS Dad #400
Old 01-09-2013, 11:05 AM   #103
Captain_Oblivious
DIS Dad #257
Don't underestimate your audience. I'm sure there's a fart joke in here somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreas154 View Post
Hey Dads!

Long time lurker, 1st time poster. Just wanted to wish you all a great trip. Just got back from the World 3 weeks ago. If I would've known about this, I'd have pushed my wife to wait until after the holidays.

Figured I better get signed up and say hi finally. I'm a Western PA native, and father/husband (DW30,DS7). Have read you criteria a few times whenever I need a chuckle, and I'll just go with I qualify for #77

Well, happy times to those who are in the World now, and best wishes to those looking forward to future visits.
Welcome aboard!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofy + 3 View Post
Have you read "Shepharding a Child's Heart"?
Yes--took a class on it at church several years ago. That's where I plagiarized the ideas from.
Old 01-09-2013, 11:06 AM   #104
scott2997
DIS Dad#543
You trying for ownage?!
I'm not sure what I'll be tied up in at home tonight

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreas154 View Post
Hey Dads!

Welcome!

Randall will be around sometime to give you a member number....whenever he decides to put his turkey leg down.

Make yourself at home!

Dis Dads Member #543

April 2012 Spring Break TR

Trips:April 2014 (BLT), January 2014 (CBR), January 2013 (OKW), April 2012 (BLT)
MK Only (1 day visits) - 2013, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008
Offsite - 2013, 2005, 1990
Old 01-09-2013, 11:11 AM   #105
dvczerfs
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderella's Fella View Post

Over the course of time there have been a few instances where lines have been drawn in the sand and certain members have become sworn enemies... wait... no that's not right. Sworn nemesis (Def: A formidable and usually victorious rival or opponent)! Below is the current list of those who have announced their foes.

Trennr (Nathan) vs. Stopher1 (Christopher)
FreezinRafiki (Barry) vs. That's Nice (Tim)
ClearScreen (Chris) vs. AJRitz (Aaron)
Captain_Oblivious (Mark) vs. Middlepat (Brian)
DisDadDoc (Chris) vs. GoHerd1028 (Steve)
prattpak (Mark) vs. jason4024 (Jason)
Scott2997 (Scott) vs. twokids0204 (Brian)
theduck619 (David) vs. AirGoofy (Norm)
Cinderella's Fella (Randall) vs. DisneyDadC (Carl)
IamTrike (Ryan) vs. RodBelding (Paul)
afwdwfan (Andy) vs. GoofyIsAsGoofyDoes (Rob)
DisneyFed (Mike) vs. dvczerfs (Dave)
Bo Duke (Jason) vs. Katoot (Casey)
disney67 (Jeff) vs. thheaton (Travis)
disdadIL (Sean) vs. Twin Dad (Corey)
moose615 (Philip) vs. Trennr (Nathan)
mm1971 (Jim) vs. cj9200 (CJ)

This list changes frequently and may not accurately reflect the current views of the said members in this list. Allegiance to any particular member can and most likely will result in terrible consequences, such as name-calling, nasty comments, and the occasional crop-dusting.

uhmmm, this is wrong..... its should be:

dvczerfs (dave) vs. disneyfed (mike)

THERES TWO Os IN GOOSE BOYS!!!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh5JYhMDPo8
Closed Thread

Tags
bacon, convention, dole whip, fun

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: