Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 02-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #3016
BigTex71
DIS Dad #536
Bring it!
It's a conspiracy, I tell you! <300 ;)

I am getting excited -DW gave the green light to start planning a trip to The World in late July/early August!

We are thinking about trying Pop Century this time to keep it on the less expensive side (if there is such a thing when talking about a visit to WDW.) Coronado Springs is another possibility. We wanted to stay at a resort we haven't stayed at before, so that leaves out CBR, POR and POFQ. I really want to stay at the Wilderness Lodge, but that is a big money difference from Pop or even CSR - so maybe next year.

Since we have only stayed at Moderates, I am hoping we won't be disappointed by Pop Century. But we really don't spend much time around the resort anyway. We always do rope drops, but we do come back to the resort for a nap or light swimming in the afternoon before heading back out to the parks in the early evenings. Would Pop be 'louder' during the day as compared to CSR (making it even tougher to get a nap in?)

Any feedback on CSR vs. Pop? I realize they are two different classes, but I would like to hear if anyone has strong opinions on either.
DIS Dad Club Member #536
2012 DisDads Fantasy Baseball Champion - Jungle (Nelson) Cruz

Wanna Read My PTR? Your Stunned Silence Is VERY Reassuring (Jan/Feb 2011)
A Private Dance With Cinderella...Our Surprise Trip Jan/Feb 2011

me dw ds(14) dd(7)
Old 02-05-2013, 06:30 PM   #3017
AirGoofy
DIS Dad#341
Savvy!
I have yet to snag one of those recliner seats right in front of the big screen TV

We've all complained about it, but Disney's websites are terrible. Barry, why don't you transfer down there and fix them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex71
Any feedback on CSR vs. Pop? I realize they are two different classes, but I would like to hear if anyone has strong opinions on either.
We stayed at All-Stars, POP, CBR, and then bought into DVC. CBR was just so much better than POP, and the deluxe resorts are even better. We only do studios, so in comparing apples to apples, the room size/ queen beds are nice, but It is the extras like resort amenities, dining, community hall, and ease of Disney transportation. While i have not stayed at CSR, the only negative I have heard was that since it is a convention center, depending on where your room is located, it can be quite a walk from the bus stop to your room. Good luck on the planning.

As for POP, I'll go back on CJ's credit card, but that's about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theduck619 View Post
That's all you, I got nothin to do with it. I'm a happily married man. My wife is a saint
Yes she is. I'll blame Jim for hacking the account.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moose615 View Post
I also miss female conversations ...
SAID NO MAN EVER! C'mon Man!
DIS Dad #341
WDW Commando #187
Disneytopia LIVE! DVC Trip Reports
2014 DDC Disney World Series Champion
2011 Dis Dads Pro Football Pick'em Champion
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 02-05-2013, 06:33 PM   #3018
twokids0204
DIS Dad #561
I control the universe.... scared yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTikiDaddy View Post
Bleh...working nights this week, came home early tonight, DW re-injured her shoulder/arm/chest area bad catching Audrey falling off the bed. Kid is fine, but DW aggrivated a previous injury and could barely use her arm. I came home to help her out. Got her in bed, now chilling out, watching RAW.Add this to her list of issues to see her doc about Thursday.
Ouch... Prayers for a speedy recovery.

Me (Brian) DW (Sheri) DD12 DS10
Member #561
Old 02-05-2013, 07:18 PM   #3019
AJRitz
DIS DAD #420
Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex71 View Post
I am getting excited -DW gave the green light to start planning a trip to The World in late July/early August!

We are thinking about trying Pop Century this time to keep it on the less expensive side (if there is such a thing when talking about a visit to WDW.) Coronado Springs is another possibility. We wanted to stay at a resort we haven't stayed at before, so that leaves out CBR, POR and POFQ. I really want to stay at the Wilderness Lodge, but that is a big money difference from Pop or even CSR - so maybe next year.

Since we have only stayed at Moderates, I am hoping we won't be disappointed by Pop Century. But we really don't spend much time around the resort anyway. We always do rope drops, but we do come back to the resort for a nap or light swimming in the afternoon before heading back out to the parks in the early evenings. Would Pop be 'louder' during the day as compared to CSR (making it even tougher to get a nap in?)

Here's the thing, if you've never stayed in a Value resort before. The biggest different you're going to notice is not the noise, but the size of the bed. After our last trip, I'm fairly certain we've had our last Value stay. Full-size beds just won't cut it for the four of us anymore. No one got a decent night's sleep until after we moved to Port Orleans-Riverside.

CSR is very spread out, and with that does come some noise advantage. We also found the bus stops well-spaced. But the walk from the main building to the rooms seems far no matter where your room is (as I understand it, this is similar to CBR). Also, while Pepper Market is actually a quite good counter-service (especially the breakfast buffet), all of the restaurants are priced slightly higher than the other Moderates, because CSR is a convention hotel. We had dinner at Maya Grill, and were unimpressed.

On the other hand, the CBR pool is outstanding. It's well-themed and the kids loved it. The rooms are very comfortable, and were the queen-sized beds, and felt twice the size of a Value room.
Come visit the DISDads clubhouse! | DISDad #420 - Visit our new forum!

Old 02-05-2013, 07:20 PM   #3020
twokids0204
DIS Dad #561

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansdad View Post
Morning Guys,

Luckily we have moved back in to the deep freeze.
Here too... and to make it even better, we had a gas leak at our office, and so it the gas has been shut off, pending an inspection from the gas company.

Needless to say, it's been quite a chiller today.

Member #561
Old 02-05-2013, 07:22 PM   #3021
twokids0204
DIS Dad #561

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirGoofy View Post
My quiet Monday ended. I drove to pick up dd from dance, which is a few miles away from the house. Half way there, the engine started knocking, more a rattling sound. I chanced and said decided to pick up dd and try to make it home. Half way home, the check engine light came on, wouldn't accelerate, and as I turned onto my street in the subdivision, started smoking and died. So, dd got to drive while I pushed it a block down the road and parked it in front of the house.
Ugggg... that sucks, hope it's just an easy repair.

Member #561
Old 02-05-2013, 07:25 PM   #3022
Cinderella's Fella
DIS Dad #215
Carpe Bacon
And no more candy and caffeine for the rest of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernTaz View Post
So did all the Dads make it home from DDCC yet? Looked like a blast been keeping up on facebook....

WELCOME TO THE DIS DAD'S CLUB!

You have been added to the DISDad list! Your Member Number is #732!

Old 02-05-2013, 07:59 PM   #3023
RodBelding
DIS Dad #589
We Got The Better Belding
So help me, if you're encouraging any penguin obsession, things are going to get ugly

Evening guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1971 View Post

Hey Paul. What does your schedule look like next week? I should be pretty open by mid week. How about lunch? On me this time.
Next week should be pretty open, let's touch base at the beginning of the week and put something on the calendar!

Quote:
Yes, I also remember sitting in Gillette stadium against the Titans with a -7 wind chill in the playoffs. The difference is that those are home playoff games determined by seeding. Someone actually had to think a February Superbowl in NY/NJ was a good idea.
I was at that game too... After an interception we all jumped up to cheer and i spilled my beer all over the seat in front of me. It was frozen before the guy even sat back down.

Quote:

Woohoo!

Haven't stayed at CSR, but have been to CBR and Pop. I don't know that there's too much of a difference between Pop and the moderates, other than bed size as Aaron said. We liked Pop, but that was DW and I solo a few years ago. We've done DVC since the kids have come along. Seems like many families swear by Pop though, so you'll prob be fine.
Old 02-05-2013, 08:16 PM   #3024
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Quote:

We have never stayed at CSR but we have been at Pop 3 times, POFQ 2 times and CBR 1 time. You won't have a problem with noise at POP and they have a pretty good food court. I would think CSR is spread out much like CBR. I found CBR a bit of a walk to get to the food court and the buses could be long if you didn't hit them right. POFQ is a great moderate resort. Comfortable rooms, nice food court and pool area, and pretty good transportation.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

Old 02-05-2013, 08:40 PM   #3025
theduck619
DDC 188
I love that middle crease between the two straight sections
It's a secret passge to a man cave

Quote:

I was impressed by PoP to be honest. The beds are smaller as Aaron mentioned. Their food court is one of the best on property IMO. It has its own buses, unlike All Stars so I think you will find it an enjoyable stay.

DisDad Member #188

We are home!- 12/9/14 Follow the adventure at:
http://nicelyfamilyadoptionadventure.blogspot.com
Old 02-05-2013, 09:00 PM   #3026
Disney Commando
DDC
Disney Fans Are Friends
now I have some things to plan, I'm going to try to get the Dapper Dans

I'm OK now but for a couple days I was in rough shape, had some kind of cold going on, was in bed by 7

The gift auction I went to Sat had the best Disney prize ever, although I didn't win it this time I found out they offer the same prize every year, It was 4 Park Hoppers, $500 gift cards for the Marriott, & $1000 Gift Card for SouthWest Air, What a prize
Better luck next year

Together we spent $120 during the auction (half was on the Disney prize) but this is what we won

- Americana Basket with 4 tickets to see the Somerset Patriots, state quarters, flag, and all kind of cool things that will go great for 4th of July (valued around $100)

- Round of Golf for 4 + 2 golf carts (valued at $180) FIL has a nice Bday gift coming to him in a couple weeks

So That's $280 worth of stuff for $120. I'll do that all day every day a twice on Sunday

I have another one on Sun, I have buyer's lined up for certain items (mostly for sporting events, skiing & golf) but before I dump any golf outing I need 1 more fore my FIL for Father's Day
1976 Contemp, 82 Contemp, 86 Contemp, 8/03 Honeymoon Off Site, 7/05 Off Site. 11/08 Off Site, Halloween till 11/08/09 ASM w/ Free DDP, Dis Dads Dec. Trip 12/5 - 12/11, 2010 8/11 ASM, 8/12 Off Site, 11/12 ASM, 8/13 ASM, 4/14 POP, 6/14 AKL, 8/14 POP

Dis Dad Member #393
WDW Commando Member #1
Old 02-05-2013, 10:41 PM   #3027
DisneyDaddy-O
Dis Dads Club Member #286
I'm sure those driving beside me thought I was nuts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigTex71

We are planning a trip in October this year!

We have stayed at both and I have to say if you don't spend a lot of time at the resort, I would go with POP. The pool is fun and the food court is decent. You will not regret staying there. The only down side I see is the same as a few others have already mentioned, the size of the beds. The bus at POP was fairly quick going to parks but always seemed slower going back, that might be because of the time we went back. But all things considered we enjoyed our time at POP, for the price you can't beat it.

Oct 97 CBR Disney Honeymoon, Jan 06 AS Sports First Family Vacation, Jan 07 POR Jan 08 POP, Jan 09 POR, Jan 10 POR, AUG 10 POP, JAN 11 POR, AUG 11 POP,
AUG 12 ASM,CSR,SSR,POR(yep all 4),OCT 13 POR First Halloween Party and Food & Wine
,OCT 14 POR
Old 02-05-2013, 10:47 PM   #3028
that's nice
DDC #330

Maybe the entire internet is slowing down because of this thread

Quote:

We've stayed at POP 3 times and CSR 2 times. In Nov. We were at CSR for 9 nights and POP on the last night. People mention the bed difference and I will agree about the size but add the beds at CSR blow away the POP beds as far as comfort. With that being said we don't have a problem with POP. We like it there and considering we leave the resort in the morning and don't come back till after dark, POP works well for the price.

POP seems busier than CSR. Depending on where your room is, it could be loud at either resort. The POP food court is very good with different food stations. POP theming is 'fun' and in your face while CSR is more relaxed. After spending all day in the parks, sometimes it is nice to get away mentally when you get back to the resort.

Depending on what discounts are available, a mod might not be too much more than POP. I think in Nov we paid $130 a night for CSR with the discount and POP was about $100. IT was a no brainer to stay at CSR. We couldn't get the last night at CSR because the entire resort was booked.

Sorry that I am all over the place with my thoughts. I know you'll have fun at either place. Make sure you check the POP & CSR thread here on the DIS.
Old 02-06-2013, 12:32 AM   #3029
baseballmickey
DDC #644

Just checking in. Long day. New phone came in the mail. Dryer is fixed and we can do laundry again! And I got to get up early and run.

Hope everyone is well.

Numerous Trips as a kid from 1974-1993. WDWCP MK Custodial Spring '94. Off Property, 1995, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001. Land/Sea @ ASMR/Wonder 2002. CBR 2003. POR 2006. Off Property 2007. DVC @ SSR since 2007.. SSR 2008, 2009.. BWV March 2010. SSR December 2010.
BLT/DCL Dream/BCV July/August 2012. AKL/Vero July 2013. runDisney OKW Jan 2014. SSR/Vero/Pop July 2014. runDisney AoA Nov 2014.
DISDad #644
I'm Going Away... FOREVER! Oh, Great! Could You Get Me a Sandwich? A TR Interrupted
My First Trip Report - Escape from New York, Dec 26, 2010 - Jan 1, 2011 - COMPLETED!
Our Disney Blog: "Home is Where the Mouse is"

Treguna Mekoides and Trecorum Satis Dee
Old 02-06-2013, 12:49 AM   #3030
BigTikiDaddy
DIS Dad #574
Ya hurt yer what?

Quote:
I hear ya! That's what we are working out now. Between sports, camps and dental work I'm surprised I'm not working 2 or even 3 jobs. The hope is that once we get to June all of the payments for everything will be done and we get a little jump in spending money. Would love to stay on the monorail. If not PO it is.

Already have my 180 day highlighted on the calendar for ADR so we can shoot for BOG.
Oh yeah, we are set to do the ADRs, then book the rest later. I want to say Feb 21 for the booking, DW has it on her calender on the phone. I've made up the basic itinerary, and all that it lacks in general times for said ADRs now.

If we can get Free Dining, heaven forbid, the price to do POR will work out the same as POP and upgrading the dining. It'd be nice to try a new resort, but we've always loved POP, and if no free dining, that's where we'll stay.

Quote:

I've only done Poly or POP, so I might be biased. DW never had issues napping at POP, I barely sleep at Disney as is.. The pools are nice, not too loud. I enjoyed late-night dips in the bowling pin and computer pools after hard days of touring. My favorite stay was in the 80's wing, away from the pools (you could see the entrance to WDW from the window), it was peacefull, although a bit of a walk to the main bilding, we often cut through hthe parking lot. We've not had bed issues yet, mainly due to the arrangements of one adult/child per bed. Best food court hands down. If you use a QS credit there, ask tell the cashier you want to get a sundae as the dessert, they will mark your reciept, so you can get the ice cream after your meal is done, no melting involved I also enjoy walking about the grounds early in the morning, before most people are up, enjoying the peace and quiet. (Also looking for armadillos, long story )

Quote:
Originally Posted by twokids0204 View Post
Ouch... Prayers for a speedy recovery.
She's feeling loads better thanks, sees her doc Thursday to sort it all out.

Polynesian April '03 (our belated official Honeymoon) POP Century January '06 (DD's first trip and DW's BDay) POP Century February '08 POP Century October 2010 (DD2's First trip and 10th Anniversary) POP Century August 2011 (Just Because)
POP Century August 2013 (see a trend happening?)

Closed Thread

Tags
bacon, convention, dole whip, fun

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: