Disney Information Station Logo

Go Back   The DIS Discussion Forums - DISboards.com > Disney Trip Planning Forums > Disney for Families > DIS Dads
Find Hotel Specials & DIScounts

facebooktwitterpinterestgoogle plusyoutubeDIS UpdatesDIS email updates
Register Chat FAQ Tickers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-22-2013, 10:28 AM   #1981
declansdad
DIS Dad#639
Still waiting for his first one

Here is a good one for you guys.

DS and his JV middle school basketball team is scheduled to play in a 6 team tournament this weekend. The schedule was released last week and we were all set to go.

Yesterday we played the host in our regular league play and beat them. Today they redo the schedule to put the other team that beat them in league play in our pool and moved out the team they beat. I know as a host you always want to give your team the best shot at winning the tournament but to be so blatant in changing a schedule after you have released it is pretty low.

On one hand it makes me laugh but on the other I makes me a bit mad.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds
DIS Dads Club Member #639

Our WDW photos on Photobucket, Our WDW photos on Flickr

Old 01-22-2013, 10:43 AM   #1982
Twin Dad
DIS Dad #704
I think they live an altered state of reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansdad

DS and his JV middle school basketball team is scheduled to play in a 6 team tournament this weekend. The schedule was released last week and we were all set to go.

Yesterday we played the host in our regular league play and beat them. Today they redo the schedule to put the other team that beat them in league play in our pool and moved out the team they beat. I know as a host you always want to give your team the best shot at winning the tournament but to be so blatant in changing a schedule after you have released it is pretty low.

I hate that bush league crap. I quit playing in USTA tournaments as a kid because of stunts like this. I don't know what kind of authority you have up there but this needs to be brought up the ladder.
Dis Dad's Club #704
WDW Commando Club #205
My pretrip report In Progress
|
The DIS
Register to remove

Old 01-22-2013, 10:45 AM   #1983
DisneyGriz
DisDads #727 Round the world in Epcot in 11 beers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansdad View Post
I grew up with the Imperial system and have no trouble going back and forth. In fact even most kids use feet, inches, and pounds when describing their height and weight. But if you say it is 85 degrees outside it means nothing to them. It is quite funny actually, there is 6 years between DW and I and she has no idea what fahrenheit means.

For the French/English thing, that really depends on where you are. Government documents are in both but many things are still in English only.

Well the US is smaller than Canada, so to us it is a smaller country.
Good point, and true. So, how about after you take away the 90% that's not habitable?

2013 2/13 POR
2012 DCL Fantasy, 2012 WDW Nick Hotel
2010 WDW Swan & Boardwalk
2009 WDW Boardwalk
2009 WDW ASSports
2008 WDW CSR
2007 WDW ASMusic
2006 WDW CSR
2005 WDW POR
2004 WDW Residence Inn
2003 WDL Residence Inn

1985 WDW Quality Inn
1981 WDW Contemporary
1978 WDW FWC
1977 WDW FWC
1975 WDW FWC
1974 WDW FWC
Old 01-22-2013, 10:52 AM   #1984
declansdad
DIS Dad#639

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twin Dad View Post
I hate that bush league crap. I quit playing in USTA tournaments as a kid because of stunts like this. I don't know what kind of authority you have up there but this needs to be brought up the ladder.

Actually the school that was moved in with us is the school where DW teaches. She was the one to call me and let me know. I know their coach is pretty upset about it, probably because we beat them as well and they have beaten the host. I'm just helping out with DS's team and middle school sports don't fall under the banner of my organization so they can do pretty much what they want. I'm sure they are going to hear about it from a few schools.

In my opinion there wouldn't have been any problems if they hadn't released the original schedule. The tournament doesn't mean anything in terms of seeding for district championships but this really makes then look petty.
ASM - March 2004 --- POP - July 2005 --- POP and the Poly - August 2007 --- CBR - Aug 2008 --- POFQ August 2009--- POP Christmas 2010--- POFQ Aug 2011 --- Disney Dream and MK March 2013 --- EPCOT F&G March 2013 --- Pop July 2013 --- AK March 2014

me dw (pooksma) ds

Old 01-22-2013, 10:54 AM   #1985
declansdad
DIS Dad#639

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyGriz View Post
Good point, and true. So, how about after you take away the 90% that's not habitable?

We Canadians make it all habitable.

me dw (pooksma) ds

Old 01-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #1986
Cinderella's Fella
DIS Dad #215
Carpe Bacon
And no more candy and caffeine for the rest of you

Quote:
We Canadians make it all habitable.

Old 01-22-2013, 11:21 AM   #1987
Twin Dad
DIS Dad #704
I think they live an altered state of reality

Quote:
Originally Posted by declansdad

Actually the school that was moved in with us is the school where DW teaches. She was the one to call me and let me know. I know their coach is pretty upset about it, probably because we beat them as well and they have beaten the host. I'm just helping out with DS's team and middle school sports don't fall under the banner of my organization so they can do pretty much what they want. I'm sure they are going to hear about it from a few schools.

In my opinion there wouldn't have been any problems if they hadn't released the original schedule. The tournament doesn't mean anything in terms of seeding for district championships but this really makes then look petty.
I agree out makes them look petty. If I was coaching of seriously consider not doing this tournament next year.
Dis Dad's Club #704
WDW Commando Club #205
My pretrip report In Progress
Old 01-22-2013, 11:28 AM   #1988
cj9200
DIS Dad #412
Double Dog Dare You to post a screaming like a little girl video

Twenty-two degrees today with a feels like temp of eight. Not here of course, but in South Orange. Seventy-six here. Called the kid to rub it in a bit. "DAD, MY EARS HURT!" Finished classes so she will be hunkering down in the dorm. No running today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mm1971 View Post
Not really a tailgate game as everything is inner city, no open areas. I'll take you to a nice restaurant for some good food and drink. Just make sure you save some room for a Fenway Frank! Let me know as soon as possible when you know you will be in town and I'll grab the good seats.
Good bars though I am sure. Probably a lot like Wrigley. No idea when I will be up there yet but will keep you posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theduck619 View Post
Good morning guys! Back to the real world today for me. I wanted to take a moment again and thank all of you for all of your texts, posts, emails, IM's and calls over the last few days. They were a great source of strength for us. Whenever things were getting a little rough it seemed like one of you were checking in on us.

The hardest part was yesterday at the funeral. For the first time it really hit my DD's that their Grandfather was gone. Seeing their pain was difficult for me. We decided to forgo any other get togethers besides lunch at dads church. We just came home, watched a couple of movies and cuddled. We will all be ok.

From the bottom of our hearts we are truly grateful and we thank God for each and everyone of you.
Again, sorry for your loss. It is tough when kids experience losing someone close. Hugs to the girls from all of us.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:10 PM   #1989
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by boreas154 View Post
Morning all, it's a beautiful day here. Local weather has us at a blistering 4 F, with wind chills well into the negatives. So glad my office has 1 heating vent that is blocked by a counter...
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott2997 View Post
Wow - you must work here with me.....4 degrees here today and One heating vent in my office that pumps out cold air when the "heat" kicks on. Not to mention the window behind me that faces the west and allows all the cold wind to come right on in!

Maybe you should buy your CEO a copy of "A Christmas Carol"? Throw another chunk of coal on the fire.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:15 PM   #1990
DisneyFed
DIS Veteran

Quote:

Wait...I have something for this...

I found it.

"If it's one thing that I've learned from all this living, is that it wouldn't change a thing if I let go"

"I'll make a wish and do as dreamers do"
Old 01-22-2013, 12:19 PM   #1991
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by theduck619 View Post
Good morning guys! Back to the real world today for me. I wanted to take a moment again and thank all of you for all of your texts, posts, emails, IM's and calls over the last few days. They were a great source of strength for us. Whenever things were getting a little rough it seemed like one of you were checking in on us.

The hardest part was yesterday at the funeral. For the first time it really hit my DD's that their Grandfather was gone. Seeing their pain was difficult for me. We decided to forgo any other get togethers besides lunch at dads church. We just came home, watched a couple of movies and cuddled. We will all be ok.

From the bottom of our hearts we are truly grateful and we thank God for each and everyone of you.
Welcome back David. Your family continues to be on our prayers.

Old 01-22-2013, 12:28 PM   #1992
afwdwfan
DIS Dad #460
You should always make room for a loophole when you need it

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisneyFed View Post
Wait...I have something for this...

I found it.
Yep, Fed has this one covered.

I just hope it gives that other team the incentive to step it up and embarass them.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:36 PM   #1993
Cinderella's Fella
DIS Dad #215
Carpe Bacon
And no more candy and caffeine for the rest of you

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodBelding View Post
Team Tim rocks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinderella's Fella View Post
Really? Why?
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreezinRafiki View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by that's nice View Post
Cuz we da best!
Quote:
What is this based on? And can you prove it in a court of law? Best is a very strong word to use. You might have chosen "sort of ok" or something like that.

Old 01-22-2013, 01:02 PM   #1994
that's nice
DDC #330

Maybe the entire internet is slowing down because of this thread

Quote:
What is this based on? And can you prove it in a court of law? Best is a very strong word to use. You might have chosen "sort of ok" or something like that.
Quote:
I probably could prove it in a court of law. My BIL just got out of law school, maybe I can hire him to try this case.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:03 PM   #1995
mm1971
DIS Veteran

Quote:

I get what your saying. Especially since it is the home team making changes.

We usually see a lot of changes in our tournaments leading up to the start to try to balance out all the groups to keep it competitive. It's usually a bunch of changes and not really the home team looking to win. I guess you'll just have to beat the team they added to your schedule too/

Closed Thread

Tags
bacon, convention, dole whip, fun

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: